The greatest movie monster

Justin

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I can't believe the troll from SS is on that list, I didn't think it was anything special. If you're gonna go with HP monsters, the basilisk was ten times better, and Aragog was better too.

Ray Barnsbury

The fact that Godzilla isn't on the list makes it worthless in my opinion.

Also Rodan, Mothra, The Cyclops from The 7th Voyage Of Sinbad, The Rhedosaurus from the Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, Gwangi, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy....the list could go on and on....

To me those are more of a worthy inclusion than The Troll from Harry Potter and Shelob, also the creature from Akira and Talos don't really belong on that list.

Tetsuo? the troll? what a stupid poll. The only two that really deserve being there IMO are the T-Rex and King Kong. The Mummy, Frankenstein, Dracula, the octapus from 20,000 Leagues under the sea and the cyclops must be on all monster lists.

Morlock- who doesn't think any of the creatures in HP were particulaly good

I was watching Alien yesterday, and realized that it has to be the greatest monster ever. It sums up so many phobias and fears:

1- It looks like a big insect

2- It looks repugnant

3- It jumps from its egg directly to your face

4- It grows inside you and breaks its way out your stomach

5- It's intelligent and fast and works in flocks and can hide anywhere

6- It you destroy it you'll be burned by its acid blood.

In comparison, King Kong is a sweet oversized monkey and a pretty easy target to destroy. Size does not matter. If fact, we feel more scared of little creatures like rats. That poll is ridiculous.

and where is Bruce, from Jaws.

no movie monster has ever had an effect on real life as Bruce did.

K.M.'s List

1-Alien(in the first Alien)

2-Bruce(Jaws)

3-Linda Blair Demon

4-Original Frankenstein monster(Boris Karloff)

5-Original Dracula(Bela Lugosi)

6-Creature from the Black Lagoon

7-Godzilla

8-King Kong

9-The Witch King on Fell Beast in RotK

10-The Mummy

Actually I left Bruce and T-Rex off because they are or were real animals at one time. Although I have no problem with them being on the list.

I did forget to mention Alien and The Creature From The BLack Lagoon.

Frankly something that came out in the last 20-15 years doesn't belong on that list because it hasn't cemented it's place in history yet.

In 50 years will we still be talking about Shelob and the Troll from Harry Potter?

T-Rex, fourth place? Gentlemen, please.

I assume you mean it's undeserving, but just want to make sure.

Undeservingly low, in my opinion.

I really don't see why people call a t-rex a monster  It's a real animal, only extinct.

did you see how it attacked the kids in Jurassic Park, if that isn't a monster I don't know what is, extinct or not.

Joe, who thinks the 2 greatest man in suit monsters are the Alien and the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Alien is on the list. It is good.  

Justin  

Alien should be #1. I'd just laugh and point if I saw King Kong. I'd run if I saw a T-Rex. BUT, if I saw an alien- or worst yet- multiple aliens as in Cameron's masterpiece (screw Titanic), I'd just p!ss myself then curl up in a ball and wimper.

Karm <--- Believes there are only 2 Alien films, since the last 2 blew. :(

Karm <--- Who will still pay to see Alien vs. Predator even though it will probably suck hard too. :cry:

http://www.avp-movie.com

did you see how it attacked the kids in Jurassic Park, if that isn't a monster I don't know what is, extinct or not.

Yes, but if we are gonna start to define a monster by its actions and not by its physical characteristics, then we might as well throw in a lot of human characters, fictional or not.

But remember King Kong is nothing more than an oversized gorilla, no more a "monster" than the T-Rex.

But remember King Kong is nothing more than an oversized gorilla, no more a "monster" than the T-Rex.

So? Aren't gorillas scary? What about a big gorilla you can't control? How about a big one who can't even control himself?

How about a big one who can't even control himself?

::Remembers going to the zoo once::

I'd hate to clean up THAT mess.

physical characteristics, that's it, a T-Rex or a shark looks as fierce, evil and wild as any fictional monster.

Great post Charles. :|

What about The Alien Queen from Aliens? That was quite impressive but not better than the normal Alien. It's also interesting to note that the Alien from Alien is very diffrent from the ones in Aliens. The original is better of course. 8O

Justin

Yes,the original Alien is different,and better.It has that special iconic unduplicable "something",maybe because Geiger himself worked on it untill he thought it was just right,and that guy is rather insane.They never got it quite right in the subsequent films.

Remember the Bigfoot creature in an episode of The Six Million Dollar Man?At 10 years old it scared the sh*t out of me.

K.M.

I prefer the Queen to that single Alien, which isnt much different than the drones in Aliens

I have 12" scale models of some of the various aliens.

Alien:Looks more humanoid(guy in suit)and there is a smooth clear dome part on the head and the face features are the most scary.

Aliens(drone):Some added details and appendages which makes it look more like an insect.

Alien3:Walks on 4 legs like a dog

Alien resurrection:has an extra leg joint and webbed hands for swimming.

K.M.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/adcycle...1&gid=17&id=369

Here,check this out,this is the reason the original Alien is the creepiest.Like i said the creatures in Aliens and Alien 3 look more like an insect,but in Alien it was vagely human on a more subconsious level and more directly inspired from Giger's somewhat schizophrenic paintings(from Necronomicon,somekind of devil book).I read,and you can see in the prop replica,that Giger started building it around a REAL human skull which he cut and extended in several directions.The head dome was made semi-translucent so that you can vagely see the skull's orbits and temporal arches...look at the prop carefully and you can see the skull.It's scary because the Alien has no eyes as such but since you can vaguely see the outline of eyesockets it seems like he's staring at you somehow.

K.M.Who loves the back stories behind art designs.

Yeah, there's pretty cool featurette on the Alien director's cut DVD about how they got Giger and his designs.

~Karm