"Through the Flames"/"The Main Reactor"

Henry B

Return of the Jedi RCA Victor edition, disc 2, track 8: "The Battle of Endor III" - about five minutes in.

Anybody else think this music is just...awesome? It's, like, the ultimate climactic music, with an interesting melody and a great statement of Luke's theme. Sadly, you won't be able to find a MIDI file of this, or hear it on a Star Wars music compilation. It's not good as a concert suite. But wow, this music is great...and it's another reason to hate RCA or whoever for producing a CD with such terrible sound quality. GAH, The Empire Strikes Back sounds like it was recorded in 1990, but Return of the Jedi in the...70's.

Hrm.

There's an interesting rendition of it in Rogue Squadron: Rogue Leader. It's synthesized, and not too well, but at least it's a fresh look at the music, and Chris Huelsbeck composed a great extension to the piece, for whatever reason.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Through the Flames" is one of my favorite action cues. It is totally hummable (is that even a word?). I love how the notes on the brass instruments ascend chaotically surging forward until the resolution - i.e. where the Millenium falcon shoots out of the Death Star. Who can forget that crazy alien's giddy giggle during the fanfare either. LOL

Uhh- I don't know my SW track titles too well. Where is 'Through the Flames'? (I know 'The Main Reactor' is CD 2 track 8)

"Through The Flames" and "The Main Reactor" are the same cue from ROTJ, when the Falcon and Wedge take-out the reactor, and then escape through the superstructure. The former is on the original release and the anthology, the latter from the 1997 SE release. I have the anthology and the SE, and I must say the sound quality on the anthology is noticeably better. I'm sure this has been covered before, but what went wrong with the ROTJ SE?

Wow, greater sound quality? And unused/alternate/original cues. I think I'll buy the Anthology, despite it being outdated, for this RotJ stuff.