Chick Flick Recommendations

nja

All right- no catcalls from the peanut gallery. The reason I am asking is that I teach a dear 14-year old girl who has a serious medical problem and is pretty much confined to the house for the foreseeable future. I?ve been to see her several times and will sometimes bring a movie to watch. I'm running out of things she hasn't already seen.

They need to be fairly clean as she has younger brothers and sisters and her parents are pretty careful. Also, she?s not really into the ?Mary-Kate and Ashley? teenybop kind of stuff- more the classic romances- Green Gables/ Pride and Prejudice etc. not to say it couldn't be a more modern setting (Sleepless in Seattle, You?ve Got Mail and so forth).

Maybe Ren and Kristen would have some input on this one.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was raised by my Grandmother and Mother. I grew up with two sisters and no brothers. Even my cats and dog (when I was a child) were female. Trust me when I say, I can answer this with some authority.

First choice... Lovesick, starring Dudley Moore and Elizabeth McGovern. A well written story of a psychiatrist who falls in love with one of his patients. Aside from some mention of sexuality, in a hilarious supporting performance by Sir Alec Guinness as Sigmund Freud, and some suggestive talk from some of the patients, this film is okay for most everyone. There is no nudity, a small amount of drinking, perhaps a slight language warning also. Features a fantastic score by Phillippe Sarde

Next up... Crossing Delancy, starring Amy Irving and Peter Riegert. This is a wonderful story of a thirty something woman in New York, who spends time visiting her "bubbie" in Brooklyn. While there she is introduced to Sam. Sam sells pickles. Not exactly the kind of man the Upper East side urbanite is looking for... Or is he? Again some mature themes. No nudity, though a friend of Izzy's (Amy Irving) does come by to spend the night. Minor language warning. Rezyl Bozyk, steals the movie as Izzy's bubbie.

Another choice... While You Were Sleeping, starring Sandra Bullock and Bill Pullman. A romantic comedy full of thoroughly likeable characters. Bullock plays Lucy Moderatz. A young woman stuck in a nowhere job, working for the Chicago Transit Authority. As she describes it she spends her days in a booth "like a veal". Everything changes when she becomes smitten with a handsome stranger (Gallagher) and saves his life when he is mugged. Well written, with a fantastic supporting cast (including Peter Boyle, Jack Warden and Peter Gallagher) that almost steals the movie. This is Bullock at her most enjoyable. She is witty and charming. The woman who your Mom would love you to bring home and the girl you secretly want to marry. This one does everything right. Some minor language, no nudity, some mildly suggestive conversation is the only thing you need worry about.

Last but not least... An Affair to Remember, starring Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr. This is the ULTIMATE chick flick. This is the one, by which all romance movies past and present are judged. It's been so long since I saw the movie, forgive me I can't remember the character names. However the story goes, two married strangers meet on a cruise ship. They fall in love (it's Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr for crying out loud). They decide to allow themselves time to cool off. They agree to meet one year from the day they leave the ship, at the top of the Empire State Building... Cary Grant arrives. And.... I won't spoil it (for the seven or eight people who have never seen this movie) Outside of the extra-marital affair theme this film is tame. It was made in the late 50's for heaven sake. Glorious score by Hugo Friedhofer.

I hope this helped in some way and I hope your young student gets better soon...

You really can't go wrong with Terms of Endearment.

Friend Green Tomatoes is another strong one.

Something to Talk About with Julia Roberts, Dennis Quaid, Gena Rowlands, Kyra Sedgewick and Robert Duvall was also outstanding I thought.

And you might wanna check out the somewhat obscure but wonderfull Rambling Rose, with Laura Dern, Robert Duvall and Diane Ladd.

If you consider just about any romantic comedy a "chick flick," then Roman Holiday (1957, I think?) (Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck) is your ticket. The ultimate reverse-Cinderella story.

Not so much of this so-called chick flix, get comedies, remember you have the familiy in there too, everyone should get some fun.

Hector - who knows 14 yeard old girls :)

"Remember my motto is 'laughter is the best medicine'. Unless you're a diabetic, insulin is usually much better"

- Norm MacDonald

I thought What Women Want was good, but if what you say is true, then she's probably seen it already.

Classic romantic comedies? Well, not a romantic comedy, but most girls I've been with liked Meet John Doe, or something such. It's Capra, it can never be wrong.

And then you can always turn to musicals (they are the answer to everything, you know): My Fair Lady, West Side Story and The King and I being particularly gay and therefore apt for women.

That is provided that the girl can sit through an "old" movie.

Just because you rent a video to see with a girl, any age, doesn't mean you have to go for the romantic comedy. And like nja said, her family is there too to watch the movie, it's supposed to be something for the whole family, unless nja wants to rent romantic comedies forever, I'd suggest silly comic relief, and if this goes longer, why not a suspense every now and then. Believe me, girls love that and horror movies, but in this case I do not recommend.

Hector - trying not to be film-nerdy

One of the best dates I've ever had was seeing Panic Room (but my girlfreind is a sucker for Intolerable Cruelty and Love Actually and the such)

The King and I being particularly gay.

What do you mean by that?

Well, there's Henry Higgins in My Fair Lady; "I Feel Pretty" in West Side Story; and the half-naked king in The King and I.

-Ross, who will accept his limitations and stick to non-humorous observations from now on.

Hehe...we almost took a girl to see Last Samurai last week. Not quite a date, but...it still would've been a girl with us...and a girl I could be interested in, too. :)

need a chick flick,

look no further than 1982's An Officer and A Gentleman,

throw in the chick friendly comedy for 1982 Tootsie, and its buddy Victor/Victoria.

One features a man pretending to be a woman, the other features a woman pretending to be a man, pretending to be a woman.

Then its off to 1983's Without A Trace, a bionic tearjerker.

As long as it is a terrific movie, you don't need a so-called 'chick flick'. Everyone will enjoy that, whether girl or boy.

However, if you want to go for more drama, how about the TV-movie broadcasted in 2001, Anne Frank: The Whole Story? You should be able to find that one on video or DVD by now. It's about a relatable young girl, so that should 'work'. It's also real and sad, and usually that 'works' as well. It's also quite strong and long, so you'll have no problem starting conversations about it afterwards.

Of course, it does depend on what route you want to take.

need a chick flick,

look no further than 1982's An Officer and A Gentleman,  

throw in the chick friendly comedy for 1982 Tootsie, and its buddy Victor/Victoria.

One features a man pretending to be a woman, the other features a woman pretending to be a man, pretending to be a woman.

Then its off to 1983's Without A Trace, a bionic tearjerker.

And, for the first time working by Joe's advice, I rented An Officer and A Gentleman for movie night with my girlfriend.

Morlock- who thinks 1982 is nowhere near the best year for movies, not in the last 30 years, and certainly not ever. For my money, 1991, 1997, 1999 and 2002 were far better.

Morlock- who thinks 1982 is nowhere near the best year for movies, not in the last 30 years, and certainly not ever. For my money, 1991, 1997, 1999 and 2002 were far better.

go ahead an think that, you said ROTJ was better than Star Wars, and the Meryl Streep was overrated, remember that.

And I agree Tootsie is more than a chick flick, I said it was chick friendly. I wish you would do a head to head comparison between 1982 and those years you mentioned.

1982 is nowhere near the best year for movies, not in the last 30 years, and certainly not ever. For my money, 1991, 1997, 1999 and 2002 were far better.

1997 and 1999 were very good years, but 2002???? That was a horrible year for movies. The only thing worse than 2002 was 2003.

Neil

And I agree Tootsie is more than a chick flick, I said it was chick friendly.  I wish you would do a head to head comparison between 1982 and those years you mentioned.

I can't do a head to head, but what I've seen of 1982 (which is of course not as much as you), I'm not impressed. Gandhi and E.T. are the only movies I know of that I really like.

1997 and 1999 were very good years, but 2002????  That was a horrible year for movies.  The only thing worse than 2002 was 2003.

Neil

I think 2002 was a great year for movies. Probably because I saw more new movies from more sources than ever before, and it had several really fantastic movies (though not the ones that got the awards). Minority Report, Changing Lanes, Y Tu Mama Tambien, Cidede De Deus, Adaptation., The Quiet American, Road To Perdition, Spirited Away, Frailty, 25th Hour were all great, and Gangs of New York, The Hours, The Pianist, Chicago, Panic Room, Frida, Far From Heaven, About A Boy, Nowhere in Africa, Catch Me if You Can, Bowling for Columbine, Comedian, The Kid Stays in the Picture, Igby Goes Down, Lilo & Stitch, Lord of The Rings: TTT were all good or very good.

But again, that mostly shows that I reached the peak of my movie going career in 2002, and you and Joe did far earlier.

But from the movies you list as showing 1982 as a great year, I think of the ones I've seen that Gandhi, Tootsie and E.T. are the only great movies.

Of course, the above and below are one very big IMO

My favorite movies from those years:

1991:

Silence of The Lambs, JFK, Beauty and The Beast, Bugsy, Terminator 2 and Star Trek VI.

1997:

Great movies: Wag The Dog, Titanic, Good Will Hunting, My Best Friend's Wedding, L.A. Confidential (one of my absolute favorites)

Good movies: Jackie Brown, Deconstructing Harry, Men In Black, Amistad, As Good As It Gets, Face/Off

1999:

Great movies: Magnolia, Beiong John Malkovich, Three Kings, American Beauty, Dogma, The Insider, Titus, The Straight Story.

Good movies: Fight Club, Topsy Turvey, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Analyze This, Election, Eyes Wide Shut, The Matrix, Bowfinger, The Winslow Boy, Sleepy Hollow.

And An officer and A Gentleman was a very good date movie (we followed it up by seeing Jersey Girl today). I was very impressed by Louis Gosset jr.'s character. I know this may sound strange, but he reminded me in a way of Ben Kingsley's character in Schindler's List- both have a change of heart, or an understing at a certain point in the film, which they pass on to us, but non-verbaly.

I didn't really like it (great score though). My Best Friend's Wedding is a good one too (though it's more than a chick flick too).

Whatever you do, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES see Mona Lisa Smile. A Terrible, intelligence insulting movie.

I was very impressed by Louis Gosset jr.'s character. I know this may sound strange, but he reminded me in a way of Ben Kingsley's character in Schindler's List- both have a change of heart, or an understing at a certain point in the film, which they pass on to us, but non-verbaly.

That's very strange. I don't get it. It doesn't make sense to me. Are you holding it together, Morlock?

go ahead an think that, you said ROTJ was better than Star Wars, and the Meryl Streep was overrated, remember that.

What's the problem, he's right.

What don't you get?

The "Louis Gosset Jr in An officer and A Gentleman" vs. Ben Kinsley in Schindler's List" thing, of course. That's the weirdest comparisment I've ever heard. And I'm known for making farfetched comparisments myself! ;)

I said it may sound strange, but that's the only comparison that came to mind. (In my eyes, kingsley's performance is one of the greatest ever, while Gosset Jr.'s is of course not)

no, sorry but Ben Kingsley's performance is not among the greatest ever, not even close.

SL isn't chick flick, and its not as entertaining as An Officer and A Gentleman.

Here's a good one I don't think anyone has mentioned: The Princess Bride. It's a classic! It has romance, adventure, and a PG rating.

"Hello. My Name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Yeah. I loved Stand By Me, This is Spinal Tap, Princess Bride and When Harry Met Sally. They've been going downhill ever since.

you are incorrect. Misery came out after WHMS, and it was a great movie with top notch acting.

It's the only pre- 1995 Reiner film I haven't seen.

Morlock, my advice is that you just buy Misery (The Special Edition). It's reduced in price and, IMO, it's the height of Reiner's career, like a volcano that finally erupts. From then on it went dramatically downhill.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I don't like Tom Cruise in anything before Mission: Impossible, and I don't like most things with him in that time, with notable exception of Rain Man. I liked A Few Good Men, but it was too much Adam Sorkin. I didn't feel Reiner contributed a lot to it.

I also love A Few Good Men.  

Neil

Perhaps you should rephrase that. :P

~Karm

Why? What's wrong with loving A Few Good Men? When I first went I didn't know what to expect and thought it might be painful, but I wound up really falling for it and then I saw A Few Good Men several more times and each time it was a wonderful experience. I've never been moved like the way I was by A Few Good Men.

Neil