• Schindler's List
    • Sabrina
    • Stepmom
    • Saving Private Ryan
    • Sleepers
    • Stanley and Iris
    • Seven Years in Tibet
    • Spacecamp

A variation on the Pointless Poll by Maestro JW, about the "to" cues ;-) Note: it's about the scores, not the movies!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Story of a Woman really good? I've never heard it, but everyone seems to want it, and it goes for high $$$ all the time.

I'm also pretty sure it's Peio.

Morlock- who has stopped voting in polls that all the options have no connection but coincidental

OK who ACTUALLY voted for Sabrina?  

It was me - the intention was to have the poll about the scores not the movies.

You voted for Sabrina? It's one of the 2 or 3 JW scores I like least

Sabrina is great! The piano theme is gorgeous, especially when the orchestra joines. And 'How Can I Remember?' is my fav pop song ever.

My top 5 JW scores:

1) Jurassic Park

2) Sabrina

3) Hook

4) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

5) Schindler's List

I find the theme very unsettling, like something out of Poltergeist or some other horror movie.

I can imagine you mean it's a bit too big for a romantic comedy, is that what you mean? But I think it's very romantic with all those strings and the oboe counterpoint. The style is somewhat like a fusion between Rachmaninoff and Gershwin which I think is very cool.

I find the theme very unsettling, like something out of Poltergeist or some other horror movie.

I can imagine you mean it's a bit too big for a romantic comedy, is that what you mean? But I think it's very romantic with all those strings and the oboe counterpoint. The style is somewhat like a fusion between Rachmaninoff and Gershwin which I think is very cool.

Nope, I think it's small. But it's creepy.

Nope, I think it's small. But it's creepy.

Morlock has a point. Since William Friedkin used sections of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells to underscore certain moments of The Exorcist back in 1973, piano (or synth) ostinati have become almost synonymous with horror films. Check out the Omen (a great score, but a rip off of Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms!), Suspiria (very effective), and anything by John Carpenter, though Halloween comes immediately to mind. Sabrina also begins with a piano ostinato. Not only that but the pitches are slightly chromatic (Do Ti Le Re La Do) owing to the inclusion of flat 6. The end result certainly could be rather chilling if it were used in a horror flick!

Having said that I LOVE Sabrina. Moonlight is a great song, robbed at the oscars. If they had had a small jazz combo playing it on oscar night with Sting singing, the audience would have heard the song as it was intended. I forget who actually sang it, but the arrangement was horrible.

I voted Star Wars, how could I not? I would rather this poll had been to number these scores in order of preference deal. THEN we would have seen some results! Star Wars and Superman would come first of course, but the rest would have been very interesting to see.

Pixie

I understand what you're saying but, IMO, the piano ostinato part in Sabrina needs a little tweaking before it is really suited for the horror genre. The feeling as it is now is more sad and romantic than the Oldfield ostinato.

I just got Sabrina, and I like it very much. "How Can I Remember?" is indeed a wonderful song. But back to the poll, I'm having a hard time choosing between SW and Superman. Neither is among my favorite scores. I guess I'll go with Star Wars, though I like the concert arrangements of the themes form Superman better.

Ray Barnsbury

I assume he means that it's not good. (Yeah, in MY dreams.)

Justin - :)

I assume he meant he's never heard it...in fact i don't think any one here ever heard it.

K.M.-who picked Star Wars

"Hymn to the Fallen" is fantastic, but yes, the rest of the score sounds very similar throughout. I haven't listened to it through in a while, but I do really many parts of it. The trumpet and especially horn solos/duets are just gorgeous, and the CD makes for a nice relaxing background listen. Contrary to what Joe says, John scored the film very well, even if it doesn't make for the most interesting album.

Ray Barnsbury

The Hymn to the Fallen is pretty, but it seems a little trite in places. After the stately opening and sombre presentation of the theme we get a slightly irritating Sousa-style descant thingy in the violins. I just don't think it fits well with the piece and makes it all sound a little twee. For a genuinely moving and patriotic piece I don't think Williams will ever write anything better than Arlington from JFK. It's one of the few film-score pieces that could stand alone in a concert of "serious" classical music (as opposed to a pops concert). It's a great homage to Barber too!

Hymn to The Fallen is amazing IMO, one of the greatest themes ever. The rest is moody and reflective, but not very listenable.

No,the whole c.d. is boring

K.M.

Just for this one sole time, I disagree, K.M.

As for the Sabrina, I tend to think it is a masterpiece and Williams best off-beat score thus far. The piano parts are incredibly written, complex and I would agree the score is TOO good for the movie.

I dare say me and MSM are the two biggest fans of the Sabrina score out there. Hadn't Star Wars been included in the poll, I would have voted for Sabrina. Williams was in the perfect mood for "jazz" in that time and I wished he had written Catch Me If You Can with the same passion.

Old Chinese saying:

If you're only in it for "The Potter" you're are most likely to find yourself insensitive to the sounds of 'Hymn of the Fallen'.

----------------

Alex Cremers

As for the Sabrina, I tend to think it is a masterpiece and Williams best off-beat score thus far. The piano parts are incredibly written, complex and I would agree the score is TOO good for the movie.

I dare say me and MSM are the two biggest fans of the Sabrina score out there. Hadn't Star Wars been included in the poll, I would have voted for Sabrina. Williams was in the perfect mood for "jazz" in that time and I wished he had written Catch Me If You Can with the same passion.

:)

You actually think SABRINA in the best of those? Sheeesh behold the exception to the rule. :)

You actually think SABRINA is the best of those?

I'm sorry, yes.

Classic - I don't know. I just like it most of the above above scores. Maybe because it's so classical-music like while having a jazzy undertone - so, classic Williams in that sense. But as Roman said, the piano part is so well written (and really nice to play) and reminds of the romantic piano concertos (Rachmaninoff, Addinsell, Prokofiev), but even more easy-listening. And I think 'How Can I remember?' is really moving, especially the opening. I like Moonlight as well but not as much as How Can I Remember.

I agree the rest of the score is not very special, but the album as a whole (also partly due to that party sequence) is one of my fav 'relaxed lounge' scores. Much in the same way as the American President soundtrack (Shaiman). I was actually wondering if there are more albums like this (soundtrack or non-soundtrack).

I think it's interesting Schindler's List didn't get ANY vote so far.

Well, it was tough, I must admit. SL is my all-time fav piece of music, yet I don't listen to it very often and I really really am always in the right mood for Sabrina and Star Wars.

Rogue, I think it'd be difficult to point out things that make that score so special to me--although you wanted MSM to tell of it--. Myself, just hearing the piano coming in and outline the thematical ride of the score, it's so straight and has got what I like to hear in music. Don't make me name that, I don't know what that is. And I love the melody! I'm generally against cheap sonority, but it works exceptionally here.

And although Sabrina was an umpteenth Williams visit of the lite scoring genre, I still consider it the best of all, even superior to Stanley and Iris, that I think would deserve to be labeled "classic".

Roman.-)

Old Chinese saying:

If you're only in it  for "The Potter" you're are most likely to find yourself insensitive to the sounds of 'Hymn of the Fallen'.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Hey Confucious, would you mind explaining this deep and ancient saying?

This poll gives no option for Star Wars anyway.  Besides, I still prefer Superman - The Movie.

Whether it's Star Wars or A New Hope, it should have nothing to do with the score.

Anyway it's not obviously either score. Both are brilliant scores which differ in my top ten by no more that two spots. (I think it might be one)

Justin -Who thinks the scores are so close in brilliance it almost doesn't matter which you vote for. :)

Old Chinese saying:

If you're only in it  for "The Potter" you're are most likely to find yourself insensitive to the sounds of 'Hymn of the Fallen'.

Hey Confucious, would you mind explaining this deep and ancient saying?

Of course not. I will translate it for you.

There are those who love John Williams mainly for his 'Potter' scores. It's part of the Potter mania. All the man's other work is being measured against these scores, which quite frankly are the closest thing to a process called rehashing that Williams ever came to. When the sole motivation is to feed the hunger for everything that is Harry Potter, then one is not in the best of places to make fair judgement about the other music found in the Williams catalogue.

Morlock, it's old Chinese wisdom and probably obsolete in this day and age. I just thought it was worth mentioning.

----------------

Alex Cremers

But John never wrote a score for a film called A New Hope.

I really love the score to Star Wars though I prefer Superman.

But John never wrote a score for a film  called A New Hope.

I really love the score to Star Wars though I prefer Superman.

Agreed 100%. :thumbup:

Neil

Although I also think that Sabrina is one of JW's best, I had to vote Star Wars. There are two reasons for this.

Reason #1: I'm a fanboy.

Reason #2: I'm a fanboy.

However, Sabrina is a great score. It's subtle, romantic, and works great with the ladies. Seriously- play this the next time the girlfriend comes over. If she's a hopeless romantic, she's putty in your hands. Another great song to play is Por Una Cabeza, the Tango from True Lies and Scent of a Woman, as performed by The Tango Project. (I think this was arranged by JW too... actually, but I'm not sure.)

PS: Superman is great too, but it won't get you laid... well probably anyway.

:thumbup: Rimsky-Korsakov: Sheherazade; Movement III; The Young Prince and the Young Princess

~Karm, the hopeless romantic (pig)