Star Wars Trilogy: 1997 SE vs. 1993 Anthology

Henry B

We will; it's almost inevitable. I also think that it won't take as long as it did for the Trilogy, as music is more...available these days, and we don't have a transition between different media (records to CDs) to worry about. Er, right?

Dear God! That is a penalty that is far worse than the crime!

I kinda like Jedi Rocks.

...Yeah.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish that they would take the album masters and put out the three OT albums on CD.

RSO did release the double LP of Star Wars on double CD and it's almost unbearable to listen to. Although it should be said that some say they don't hear any difference between the LPs and the CDs.

I can hear the difference. That dual CD was the 1st CD I ever bought in 1992 with my 1st CD player (well, that and Gerhardt's ESB because I couldn't find the Polydor yet. I know many love the Gerhardt albums, but I prefer the original recordings any day). I expected awesome sound quality with that Star Wars set, but was somewhat surprised at it sounding muffled, at least cmpared to my old LP set.

It took me months to track down Empire's Polydor half-album and a few more for the Jedi Polydor LP-reprint. Then, in 1993 I was shopping in the mall and saw the boxed set. The joy when I saw that in a CD store was like a kid on Christmas morning. Yet, I had to wait a week or so to scrape up enough money to buy it, LOL! The sound quality improvents between the Polydors and the Anthology was very good, but the expanded scores was what made them worth every penny!

Yet, even after getting the boxed set and then the Special Editions, I still want some properly restored original soundtrack albums to go with them. Artwork and all, as to this day, my favorite album artwork of all time is The Empire Strikes Back double album and it's booklet insert.

RSO did release the double LP of Star Wars on double CD and it's almost unbearable to listen to. Although it should be said that some say they don't hear any difference between the LPs and the CDs.

Indeed.

Hehehe, you took the bait.

Steef, have you ever listened to the original LPs with a decent player/stereo? Hell, I had dated-to-crappy record players when I was a kid and I remember that some of my old Williams LPs still sounded better then the CD reprints on my more expensive audio systems that I own today. Remastered versions, of course, are far preferred to me, because even if I miss a mint LP's sound, I don't miss their fragility leading to forever skips and pops.

Of course, I haven't listened to Star wars on LP in years. I'll listen to it again sometime after I get back home. I just remember a little letdown after buying that Polydor set. Thankfully the expanded versions sound better, but I still want restored album versions.

I think Joe has always been fond of original soundtrack releases too, at least he has said so with Raiders and E.T. if I remember correctly, and I remember that Thor likes condensed/re-arranged versions so much that he actually doesn't believe that expanded/complete versions should be made available to the public.... :wave: