No More Indy IV?

Lurker

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford has signed on to star in The Wrong Element, an action film in which the graying actor will play the earnest hero-type he's well known for--a security guard whose family is kidnapped.

:)

Up to last month, Spielberg promised Indy IV "will happen," so I'd believe him over E! Entertainment.

At the same time, if it all fell apart and Spielberg continued to do line up the kind of new films he is, I can't say I'll cry, despite being a massive Indy fan (or perhaps because I'm a massive Indy fan, like so many of you, I don't want to see a late entry into the series drag things down...)

I figure if it happens, it'll happen and I hope Spielberg delivers. If it doesn't ce la vie. One less thing to give Lucas my money for :)

After the Munich film, Spielberg will direct the DreamWorks drama, The Rivals, about the legendary rivalry between 19th-century stage divas Sarah Bernhardt (news) and Eleonora Duse.

Is this true?

Oh well, atleast we still have Ep III.

Neil

You'll all eat your words when Ep.3 turns out to be the best Williams scores in the last 20 years.

K.M.

Nothing i've heard in TPM and AOTC makes me think that the score for Ep III will be anything more then good.

You know, good like scores like Star Trek: First Contact or Casper are good.

Nowere near the level of the scores for the first 3 SW films, or even modern Williams classics like Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Hook or Harry Potter And the Philosophers/Sorcerers Stone.

Neil

You'll all eat your words when Ep.3 turns out to be the best Williams scores in the last 20 years.

K.M.

Mark, you may be right about the score. We'll see. But I do not have high hopes for the movie, judging by a certain someones track record.

Neil

Mark, you may be right about the score. We'll see.  But I do not have high hopes for the movie, judging by a certain someones track record.

Neil

I doubt Williams will be able to work under the right conditions for his score to be THAT good.

I have no doubt that Williams will do the best he can, but he's working with a director who thinks it's not a big deal to just cut and paste music from his previous film and stick it in there.

I wish Williams would have a LOTR like time schedule of a year to score Ep III.

But this is his last Star Wars score - surely that will warrant some extra effort!

And I'm sure he can't wait for it all to be over.

Neil

The more porjects Spielberg anounces the more excited i get because it slims the chance for a Indy 4. The idea was bad in the first place.

I still expect it to happen. Its a good idea in the first place.

While another Indy film would be great, I wouldn't be too dismayed if it never happened. I always loved how the third film closed out the series, with the classic image of our heroes riding off into the sunset on horseback. Making a fourth film would somewhat cheapen that image -- unless the film was very, very good!

Whatever. I would've watched Indy IV and enjoyed it, but there's almost no way for it to be as good as the trilogy.

Mark, you may be right about the score. We'll see. But I do not have high hopes for the movie, judging by a certain someones track record.

I dunno, Lucas may be on the rebound. For one thing, he's certainly ditched the children-friendly style of filmmaking (I've seen the make-up tests for Anakin after he falls into the lava, and they're not very G-rated).

I agree with Mark, Ep 3 may very well be one of his best scores (in the last 20 years), I'm just looking forward to what the music will be for the Obi Wan, Anakin fight

Spielberg could easily improve on the last two Indies. But the only reason he shouldn't do another one is that Harrison Ford starts to look like he could be Sean Connery's dad.

----------------

Alex Cremers - To Indy or not to Indy...it's no longer a question.

I dunno, Lucas may be on the rebound. For one thing, he's certainly ditched the children-friendly style of filmmaking (I've seen the make-up tests for Anakin after he falls into the lava, and they're not very G-rated).

Thank you for the spoiler warning...

:P

The lava thing was just speculation. I dunno what happens to him, but he has to get scarred somehow, right?

:P

oh come on,you have to live under a rock to not have read bits of this

K.M.Who doesn't think anyone here is a "spoiler free" fan intentionnaly

Lucas could use a digital Harrison Ford ;)

Don't even joke like that. :P

Or shoot the movie with Ford's face painted in green,than they could make him look 20 years longer with a CGI facelift.

K.M.

Nothing i've heard in TPM and AOTC makes me think that the score for Ep III will be anything more then good.

You know, good like scores like Star Trek: First Contact or Casper are good.

Nowere near the level of the scores for the first 3 SW films, or even modern Williams classics like Jurassic Park, The Lost World, Hook or Harry Potter And the Philosophers/Sorcerers Stone.

TPM is one of JW's greatest scores ever. Williams managed to make what was possibly the most expected score ever as good and even better than what most people could've dreamed of. IMO his most masterful score, better than anything of his that came afterwards, and better than LoTR.

Phantom Menace is a good score.

Anyhoo, if we're talking about computer generated actors, I guess Lucas might want to redo the prequels with a CGI Alec Guiness from his early movies.

oh come on,you have to live under a rock to not have read bits of this  

K.M.Who doesn't think anyone here is a "spoiler free" fan intentionnaly

I'm sorry, I didn't want to be rude or something. By the way, I really hadn't heard anything of it, and yes, deliberately. I always try to know as little as possible of any film in fact, that I'm planning to see some day. Yeah, I know, even Ep III.

TPM is one of JW's greatest scores ever.  

I think TPM had potential to be one of his greates scores: Duel of the Fates is one of his best themes in my opinion. What ruined it are these action sequences - it's much to uplifting music, not dark enough (esp in comparison with DotF): it's scored in the style of Hook - and I don't think that fits very well. Especially the battle with those droids at the end suffers.

All the best!

Quote:

I'm just looking forward to what the music will be for the Obi Wan, Anakin fight

Duel of the Fates.  

I hope it will be something like the Vader/ Luke fight from Jedi. The choral part always gets my spine tingling.

~Karm

I don't care if Indy 4 gets made or not. As long as Spielberg makes a movie, a John Williams score will be created. Though I'm not sure exactly what kind of themes will be revisited. Ford will be so old the Raiders theme won't be heard over "Ahhhhh! My arthritis!!!!!!"

Jeff -- having a little too much fun at Ford's expense

I'm sorry, I didn't want to be rude or something. By the way, I really hadn't heard anything of it, and yes, deliberately. I always try to know as little as possible of any film in fact, that I'm planning to see some day. Yeah, I know, even Ep III.

See my earlier message, "The lava thing was just speculation. I dunno what happens to him, but he has to get scarred somehow, right?"

I think TPM had potential to be one of his greates scores: Duel of the Fates is one of his best themes in my opinion. What ruined it are these action sequences - it's much to uplifting music, not dark enough (esp in comparison with DotF): it's scored in the style of Hook - and I don't think that fits very well. Especially the battle with those droids at the end suffers.

Upbeat score for an upbeat movie. Episode III's music is gonna be hella dark!

See my earlier message, "The lava thing was just speculation. I dunno what happens to him, but he has to get scarred somehow, right?"

Yep, thanks.

Upbeat score for an upbeat movie. Episode III's music is gonna be hella dark!

I hope so :thumbup:

Damn you Stefan! YOU HAD to rub it in didn't you? :thumbup:

Seriously though yeah I am even starting to give up on this film.

I mean WTF is the point? By the time it gets made Ford will be lucky if he can still walk. I think they are just tempting us.

• 2 weeks later...

We might get a great new indy movie, or a crappy movie, if we get a crappy movie, so what, we just won't watch it, but there is a really great opportunity for them to bring back the magic of indy to the screen. Anybody remember the dirty dozen next mission? Lee Marvin looked about 80, but he could still being very convincing acting out a fight and a few punches. I don't think age will be a problem for suspence of disbelief, if harrison ford makes it look good.

Yeah if we get a crappy movie we can just write it off like the SW Prequels I guess and just keep going on thinking on Indiana Jones as a Trilogy.

Who knows? Maybe we'll get lucky and get this eventually.

Yeah if we get a crappy movie we can just write it off like the SW Prequels I guess and just keep going on thinking on Indiana Jones as a Trilogy.  

Lucky enough to get a crappy movie?

Justin -Who must be really lucky... ;)

Lucky enough to get a crappy movie?

Justin -Who must be really lucky... :)

I meant lucky enough to get an Indy 4. Hopefully a good one, but ya never know!

At this point I almost wonder what the odds are of Indy 4 being worthy of the name? 50/50? Less? More?

1. I hope Indy 4 gets made. I'd say with Spielberg's directing would cancel out any retardedism that Lucass may mess it up with. Lucas is best at plotting, co-plotting and co-writing movies. He sucks at directing and editing them, at least since Star Wars (ANH).

2. I am willing to bet that E3 will be the best prequel BY FAR and (from what I've heard from the plot, overview, and leaked details so far) provides an opportunity for Williams to compose the best Star Wars score since Jedi and Empire.

3. I think TPM is a great score and AOTC is a very, very good score. I also disagree about the action music being too upbeat. I LOVED it! I can't get enough of DOTF and the lightsaber fights. The problem is, the best parts were far too short.

I am also still holding out for E3. For soem reason, I haev a feeling it'll be good despite everything.

TPM was quite a good score, it certainly had it's moments. However I honestly can't see how anyone can claim the score to AOTC to be anything more than "Williams by numbers". The Love theme is straight out of the Prologue to Hook. The rest of the score is bland and surprisingly unthematic for a series that has until now prided itself on it's Wagnerian Leitmotif approach. As for the arena fight, wow! What a load of rubbish. Random orchestral bangs and farts without any attempt to make a convincing piece of music. Compare to the final moments of the Battle of Yavin, or the phenomenal Battle of Hoth. AOTC is in my mind an incredibly lazy score. And there you have it. :D

I like the AotC score... apart from the bits where they used music from Episode 1... it just felt awfully wrong... I don't really think Williams was too excited writing for Episode 2 to be honest... he just doesn't seem to be there with full composing joy so to say.

Ohh, I loved the moving Herrmannesque parts of the score. Thematic isn't the only good way to do things. Random orchestral bangs and farts? :? The action music is exciting. But I have a problem with the love theme, it's not that good. I think Williams was being more brave with this score, trying a more original and less accessible style.