Catch Me If You Can Credits Parodied on Tonights Simpsons

Lurker

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WHOA! The new Simpsons episode tonight has a sequence of about 3 minutes with a parody of the Catch Me If You Can opening credits (and DVD menu). Of course, they play "Catch Me If You Can", but it doesn't sound like Clausen re-recorded it a la Raiders of the Lost Ark; it sounded like the o-riginal. Pretty freakin' sweet and surprising.

Probably the only decent part of the yet another otherwise medicore episode. It's just as well the voice actors are on holding out on more money. This season has been supremely disappointing. (I didn't even bother to watch last week's episode.)

Blast! I'll have to check it out in reruns. What was the show about so I can keep an eye out?

Marge and Homer lied to the kids about going to Ohio and were trying to take a second honeymoon, but the kids kept tracking them down.

Neil

My roomie recorded the show, and I've managed to encode just the "Catch Me" credits-spoof into Quicktime. :wave: It's about 20 mbs, and 320x240. I have no place to host the file, but PM me if you want it, and I'd be more than happy to IM it to anyone or upload it somewhere if someone has webspace or an FTP server. It's pretty funny, and very well done, imho. :spiny: (and I repeat, it's not the whole episode, just the 1:30 clip)

Heh, I was watching and then I had to go to the bathroom. While I was in there I kept hearing the Catch Me If You Can theme and thought "Hmm my brother must be watching it." Didn't realize it was on the Simpsons until I visited here LOL!

~Karm

I was dissapointed not to see John Williams listed in the credits.

On a similar issue, one of the people who make The Simpsons mentioned something about the Raiders theme on the DVD commentary. I'll have to go check to confirm this but I think they used the real theme and had to pay a fortune. The Alf Clausen re-worked Williams music people were refering to was probably the "E.T. flying"-like theme in the episode where the dog has to go to obedience school and Lisa makes a quilt with Marge.

Wow, I surprised, watching this episode, that the music was not just an imitation of the theme, it was the actual thing...

I didn't recognize the Indy music in that...episode (forgot what the rest of it was about) from any of the films. But it's been a while.

This sounds like one of the rare good episodes.

It was okay. Kind of incoherent.

Does Williams and Spielberg get notification of this?

Yeah good question. Did Indian Shopkeepers get notification that they would be represented by Abu? :wave:

Yeah good question. Did Indian Shopkeepers get notification that they would be represented by Abu?

The Catch Me If You Can theme is copyrighted music. Using it without permission would be illegal.

BTW, Apu.

The parody wasn't even funny. This episode had a few laughs, more than the best south park or family guy episodes. But for the simpsons it was pretty mediocre.

The parody wasn't even funny. This episode had a few laughs, more than the best south park.

Agreed! South Park is so awful!!

or family guy episodes.

Nooooooo.... :)

Justin -Who's been saving a pony just for a time like this, SUPRISE!!

It was better than last weeks, however it was not great or anything. This season has had only 2 great episodes, halloween and UK.

The parody wasn't even funny. This episode had a few laughs, more than the best south park or family guy episodes. But for the simpsons it was pretty mediocre.

Easy on South Park and Family Guy, Morn... especially Family Guy.

Ted, whose favorite show is Family Guy

"And the nominees for best original score in an adult film are.... Ron Jones..... Walter Murphy..... and John Williams."

- Family Guy

Ted

I like Family Guy, but Simpsons is the John Williams of cartoon comedies. :)

Wow, the May 3rd show was great, a big improvement over last week's. Political jokes. :D

I thought it was great too. ;)

"Stop right there, old-time liberal!"

Right...I guess this forum has a no-politics rule. Back to Williams.

There have been other references to him on The Simpsons. People have mentioned the Indy spoof, but there's also a show where the family attends a concert of Star Wars music, cheapened by fake lasers and other attention-grabbing effects. "John Williams must be rolling in his grave!" Homer remarks. There's also a show where Williams conducts music from Itchy and Scratchy. I believe it's the one where Flanders goes out with that movie star.