List Your John Williams Collection... again.

I realize that this has probably done to death, but I couldn't find anything recent like this on this message board, so here it goes...

Fiddler on the Roof

Jaws: Collector's Edition

Star Wars: A New Hope - Special Edition

Close Encounters of the Third Kind: Collector's Edition

Superman: The Movie (on order from amazon)

The Empire Strikes Back: Special Edition

E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial - 20th Anniversary Edition

Return of the Jedi: Special Edition

Hook

Far And Away

Jurassic Park

Sleepers

The Lost World - Jurassic Park

Saving Private Ryan

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

Angela's Ashes

The Patriot

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace: The Ultimate Edition

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Treesong

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

Minority Report

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

:thumbup:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every known legit score c.d. releases except Accidental Tourist:about 90 c.d.'s

c.d.'s featuring concert works:about 10 c.d.'s

Boston Pops:about 15 c.d.'s

Compilations/re-recordings:about 15 c.d.'s

Bootlegs:All known score bootlegs,except ultra obscur stuff from the "Johnny Williams" days which i'm not even sure i want.

K.M.

If your asking why i don't care for very early Johnny Williams stuff(50's and early 60's stuff,like Kraft Alkoa Master Suspence Theater Daddy-O Diamond Head),I just don't think he was very good yet.He got good around 1965,when he scored Lost in Space.

K.M.

A.I.: Artificial Intelligence (OST)

Catch Me If You Can (OST)

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (CE)

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (20th AE)

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (OST)

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (OST)

Jaws (CE)

Jurassic Park (OST)

The Lost World: Jurassic Park (OST)

Schindler's List (OST)

Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace (OST)

Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace (UE)

Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones (OST)

Star Wars (SE)

The Empire Strikes Back (SE)

Return of the Jedi (SE)

Superman: The Movie (Rhino 2-disc set)

The Witches of Eastwick (almost) complete as .wma

Several cues as .mp3 (including Soundings, Hymn to the Fallen, The Raiders March and others).

Prokoviev's Peter and the Wolf and Tchaikovski's Nutcracker Suite performed by the Boston Pops, conducted by John Williams. (1 CD)

- Marc

My list is too long to have it here...

And I do collect all those obscure Johnny Williams stuff -- and even the ones by one Johnny Towner :thumbup:

In fact of those early stuff, there is only one lp that I really think is poorer, that being his arrnagments on the themes from Gershwin's Porgy and Bess (from 1957). Note that i do love Gershiwn music, but Williams arrangments here are... how can I put it? Weak...

Couriously enought on that same year he made a number of othar jazz oriented recodrings that are much superior.

In chronological order, I believe.

Star Wars (1997 RCA Victor edition)

The Empire Strikes Back (1997 RCA Victor edition)

Return of the Jedi (1997 RCA Victor edition)

Hook

Schindler's List

Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace

The Patriot

Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition

Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone

Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones

40 Years of John Williams Music

Music from the Star Wars Saga

Could've sworn I had more than that... :?

I don't want to type that much, sorry

I kinda agree with KM, except for LiS being good.

I agree that a lot of it is quite boring and very dry orchestral music,but some portions of it are just as good as anything he's ever written.The 1 minute of suspence/cliffhanger music before episode ends is pure genius,among other things.

Maybe you don't think it's any good,but it's still the first time he wrote in a manner that very much influenced him for 70's disaster scores and Star Wars.So to me it's a seminal score that spawned a lot of things that followed..Maybe if he hadn't written that music his career would not have naturally evolved in the genre of music we all love.

K.M.

Best of John Williams (2 Disc Set)

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Catch Me if You Can

Jurassic Park

The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

It's mostly his recent stuff. And there's more to come, with these nee movies coming out!

wow how time flies... I bought my first Williams Cds in 1990, 14 years ago...oach!

The only legit CD releases I don't have are SpaceCamp and Witches Of Eastwick, and I have those on LP and CDR,

Other stuff, thanks to Chris I've got a ot of other stuff as well, thanks Chris!!

If your asking why i don't care for very early Johnny Williams stuff(50's and early 60's stuff,like Kraft Alkoa Master Suspence Theater Daddy-O Diamond Head),I just don't think he was very good yet.He got good around 1965,when he scored Lost in Space.

K.M.

M Squad was before that, that was great. And there are like half a dozen good cues I've heard from stuff then.

K.M.

Actually, I was replying to the question, "List your JW collection". But you make a valid point... Personally, as much as I like Lost In Space, I don't think he really hit his stride till the early 70s. Images and Poseidon Adventure era.

Am I the only one that has the boxed version of the Star Wars special Deluxe edition trilogy soundtracks?

I've never heard people owing or knowing about this when I talked about it before.

Am I the only one that has the boxed version of the Star Wars special Deluxe edition trilogy soundtracks?

I've never heard people owing or knowing about this when I talked about it before.

By boxed sets, you mention the limited deluxe releases, right?

I have the three of them, and also the regular ones in double disc jewel cases.

By boxed sets, you mention the limited deluxe releases, right?

I have the three of them, and also the regular ones in double disc jewel cases.

Could you be more specific about all of them, because I believe I have the fourth kind?

In 1997, RCA released three diferent versions for each score. There was the deluxe and limited version (I believe 5000 copies each), with laser embossed cd labels, and the discs came in the sleeves of the hard cover booklets. The was the regular releases, in jewel cases, with regular printed labels.

And there are some hard to find versions, that have a diferent cover art, featuring Drew Stulzman cover art for the film re-releases.

Plus there are a number of promo releases of singles and selections, issued for use in radio stations. And the three cd singles (Cantina Band #1 & #2 for A New Hope, Imperial March for Emprire strikes Back, and Jedi Rocks for REturn of the Jedi). There is also an additional cd single made available to general public throught the first sold copies of the VHS edition of tha trilogy, featuring the Imperial March and Betrayal in Bespin, both from Empire Strikes Back. Every cd single is a shaped disc.

In 1997, RCA released three diferent versions for each score. There was the deluxe and limited version (I believe 5000 copies each), with laser embossed cd labels, and the discs came in the sleeves of the hard cover booklets. The was the regular releases, in jewel cases, with regular printed labels.

And there are some hard to find versions, that have a diferent cover art, featuring Drew Stulzman cover art for the film re-releases.

Plus there are a number of promo releases of singles and selections, issued for use in radio stations. And the three cd singles (Cantina Band #1 & #2 for A New Hope, Imperial March for Emprire strikes Back, and Jedi Rocks for REturn of the Jedi). There is also an additional cd single made available to general public throught the first sold copies of the VHS edition of tha trilogy, featuring the Imperial March and Betrayal in Bespin, both from Empire Strikes Back. Every cd single is a shaped disc.

In that case, no, I have yet another version, because I have all of the ones you mentioned, including the shaped single editions.

I have the special limited encased 6cd-set version, which is yet again encased in a small carton-boxed housing. So I have the 6-cd boxed set laser engraved version: all the three soundtrack double CD's housed in a special case made for all three limited encased and laser engraved versions of them.

So does anyone have that one?

Can you give me a cataloguie number for the 6 disc box?

The only thing I could find was on the side of the case which is:

RCDJ-68853-2

Later I'll try to make a photo of it and post it here....if I succeed that is.

The Cowboys

The Fury Deluxe Edition

Raiders of The Lost Ark

E.T.

The River

Empire of The Sun

Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade

Presumed Innocent

Stanley & Iris

Hook

Home Alone 2 Deluxe Edition

Jurassic Park

Schindler's List

The Lost World

Close Encounters of The Third Kind: Collectors Edition Soundtrack

Saving Private Ryan

Star Wars: Episode I

Jaws: The Collectors Edition Soundtrack

The Patriot

Harry Potter and The Sorcerers Stone

Catch Me if You Can

Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets

Star Wars: Episode II

I saw the set on sale once, but was I already had the disks and it was too pricey for me. BTW- how much is the Anthology in the big box worth?

I saw the set on sale once, but was I already had the dicks

This is hardly the place to boast of such things.

Neil

Star Wars: A New Hope SE

Empire Strikes Back SE

Return of the Jedi SE

Phantom Meanace OST and UE (and my personal Ulitmate Edit)

Attack of the Clones OST

Hook OST and boot

Raiders of the Lost Ark- '95 expanded release

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade OST and boot

ET 20th Anniversary

The Patriot

AI

Superman- Rhino 2 disc

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Summon the Heroes- 2000 NBC release

American Journey

And, in just over two weeks, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban! :jump:

Oh, and about that SW box set: 8O

It's just a box. I mean it's not like he has more music. It's just the box that holds the discs together. 8O

Justin -Who thinks it's nice but ain't gonna run out and get it.

Prick, that's an amazing set!!! How do you found it? Was it selled on a regular store?

I've visited so many stores over the years that I don't know for sure anymore. But I believe it was some kind of collectors store on the internet, it was the only one available and I had never seen it before, so I bought it.

Yes, it's quite amazing isn't it...I really adore it.

So I take it indeed none other than me have this set? That can't be right.

Hey Prick (I just had to say that) could you translate what that letter says?

Neil

Sure, it's a fun read:

BMG

C L A S S I C S

Dear Distribution Ally,

RCA Victor records would like to congratulate you for your help in making the STAR WARS TRILOGY the success it has become.

We thank you for doing battle with the Empire's Stormtroopers everywhere: for liberating endcaps and battling for high visibility, from the depths of Valley to the lofty heights of Tower Records. Your hard work has enabled the Rebel Forces to achieve and hold top positioning on several Billboard charts.

As a memento of this victorious campaign, RCA Victor proudly presents you with this boxed edition of the Trilogy. As always, may the Force be with you!

Cor Dubois Harry Palmer

President BMG Classics Vice President & General Manager

BMG CLASSICS U.S.

Rick Rieger Joe Mozian Chewbacca

Vice President - Sales Director of Marketing (handprint signature)

BMG Classics U.S. RCA Victor

BMG Classics 1540 Broadway New York, NY 10036-4098

Telephone 212 930 4000

A Unit of BMG Entertainment

Nice isn't it.

That note looks like it was written by someone who had just taken drugs.

Why, just because they capitalized the word "rebel"? 8O

Neil

I saw the set on sale once, but was I already had the disks and it was too pricey for me. BTW- how much is the Anthology in the big box worth?

Hey maybe we're talking about the same store...and the same box....because I do know I've paid a helluva lot of money for it....where did you see this?

You wouldn't find it if you did. And it's a good looking box.

I haven't come across this either. And it's one of my most precious things in my collection....that silver on that predominantly black box really stands out from the rest of them.

It's just a box. I mean it's not like he has more music. It's just the box that holds the discs together. :jump:

Justin -Who thinks it's nice but ain't gonna run out and get it.

Hah, envious? ;)

Have to admit though, that I was quite mad when I bought this, 'throwing away a couple of 100 I think...hmmm, don't remember, maybe I'll look it up sometime. But now that I no longer miss the money anymore, I wouldn't want to 'live without it'. I've always been a collector I guess.

I saw the set on sale once, but was I already had the dicks

This is hardly the place to boast of such things.

Neil

No he could be right. Morlock could have well been talking about this box....before I bought it that is. 8O

Hey maybe we're talking about the same store...and the same box....because I do know I've paid a helluva lot of money for it....where did you see this?

In New York, a cd store right off of Time Square. They had a whole bunch of good soundtrack stuff, but I neither had the money nor knew enough to recognise a great soundtrack then.

I just had a GREAT idea...I'm gonna use this as my avatar!

Specially for the envious.

:jump:  8O

LOL

You prick!

Neil

In New York, a cd store right off of Time Square. They had a whole bunch of good soundtrack stuff, but I neither had the money nor knew enough to recognise a great soundtrack then.

No, that doesn't ring a bell. Well, at least we know there's another one out there. 8O

You prick!

Neil

Hah. I have to live up to my name occasionally you know. :jump:

It's just a box. I mean it's not like he has more music. It's just the box that holds the discs together.

Wasn't there somekind of deal when the S.E.'s came out that if you bought the 3 slimline c.d's in advance,you got a free box to put them in?

K.M.Who faintly remembers something like that