Williams to receive a honorary doctorate from Juliard School

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will this in any way increase his status in the eyes of classical music elitist that think film music is crap?

Will anything do that?

Will this in any way increase his status in the eyes of classical music elitist that think film music is crap?

If that happens will it increase your perspective that classical music is crap? :thumbup:

Justin

But like everything else, 90 % of is IS crap.

The 10% would be the bits used in movies right? :thumbup:

Justin -Wondering if Steef has seen Master and Commander...

Justin, 90 % of all films that are made are basically forgettable, 90% of all scores out there are basically forgettable, 90 % of all paintings are basically forgettable, 90 % of all sculptures are basically forgettable and 90 % of all classical music is basically forgettable.

Music elitist? Where? Where?

Justin, 90 % of all films that are made are basically forgettable, 90% of all scores out there are basically forgettable, 90 % of all paintings are basically forgettable, 90 % of all sculptures are basically forgettable and 90 % of all classical music is basically forgettable.

There's a difference between movies on the one hand, and on the other, classical music. The former is mass produced and still needs a lot of sorting out what is everlasting and what is crap, the latter has already been sorted out through time and made it into the selection which we now look upon a classic.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Yes, you are correct Alex.

All the crap has been pretty much filtered from classical music in the last few hundred years.

What's bein performed today is the best what this artform has to offer.

And i still don't like the majority of it.

It says they'll present the award on May 21. Will he be in two places at once?

Now the BSO will issue a press release saying the Lockhart will be conducting the 21 concert.

Ray Barnsbury

When someone hasn't made a name for themselves in the world, the acquisition of a doctorate is something to appreciate, and will be a powerful tool for the advancement of their career.

However, when someone has made a name for themselves in the world, the acquisition of a doctorate is something for the school that presents the doctorate to the recipient which becomes the more powerful entity. It's a way of linking their school to a prestigious artist's name, to bring about a higher pretige to the school.

John Williams has so many honorary doctorates that his walls are crowded with them, and he humbly appreciates their thoughfulness. However, the recognition does nothing whatsoever for him. He will not earn more money, nor get recognized in the world as someone with better credentials, nor, will his career become more secure. He already made it, and his name has long been secure as one of the greatest film composer that ever lived.

But when it comes to all of the schools that honors him with a doctorate, and they have been many, the schools is the real recipient of the honorary, because they will have added in their roster list of names, John Williams. Plus, whenever, an article is published with his list of credentials, which wil include, in this case, Juilliard, it adds to the prestige of the school's name, because a well known person has received a huge recognition. Therefore, who is the real benefactor? But of course, the school.

In summary, do we really need to congratulate John Williams for his honorary doctorates, in order to appreciate that he is really good as what he does?

Furthermore, isn't it ironic that those that provide him with all these numerous doctorates over the years, not one of them are capable at doing what Williams does so well. Not one. Not even all of the honorary doctorate schools put together can they compose as well as Williams does.

So, then, why is it that the less talented has the "authority" to give the more talente, the recognition, especially since the less talented has shunned Williams' work as something of low quality, popular junk, without an ounce of real music skill that music professors are so capable of? We know better, so isn't it supposed to be the other way around? It's a bit like the cat telling the Cheetah how to run faster. Or a tiny rowboat telling the huge battleship how to maneuver the rough oceans. Or the bumble bee telling the eagle how to soar.

I know what you mean. But in classical music you'll be hard-pressed to find the equivalent of Roger Christian's Battlefield Earth. Like or dislike all you want, it is always professional quality composing while in film music I sometimes wonder about that.

----------------

Alex Cremers

"Upcoming projects include choral and orchestral works."

Cool John mentioned upcoming works for orchestra and chorus a while ago in an interview...good to know they are still in the works

I know what you mean. But in classical music you'll be hard-pressed to find the equivalent of Roger Christian's Battlefield Earth.

Perhaps, but it's score by Elia Cmiral was pretty good, so it's not a total waste.

When a piece of classical music is bad, it's completely usesless.

When a film is bad, it could still have an good score (ST: The Final Frontier anyone?)

Makes sense, probably not...

Stefancos- who thinks Marian reads these posts with his head shaking in disbelief. :)

Now the BSO will issue a press release saying the Lockhart will be conducting the 21 concert.

Ray Barnsbury

The ceremony in New York is at 11am. Will he be able to make it back to Boston, rehearse and be ready for the 8pm concert? I sure hope so. I paid concert and bus tickets, as well as hotel fees to see John Williams.

Ray Barnsbury

The ceremony in New York is at 11am. Will he be able to make it back to Boston, rehearse and be ready for the 8pm concert? I sure hope so. I paid concert and bus tickets, as well as hotel fees to see John Williams.

Don't worry, Dirk Brosse is a fine conductor who I'm sure will do fine.

Neil

Don't worry, Dirk Brosse is a fine conductor who I'm sure will do fine.  

Who??? You're kidding, right?

I just hope Johnny will manage his time so he can get back in time for the concert.

Hey I just got an idea for a meeting place for us JWFans: the arrival gate at Logan airport so we can see John Williams when he gets off the plane.

It's a quick shuttle flight from NY to Boston. No need to worry for those of you going to the May 21 concert.

Congrats, Mr. Williams.

Yeah but now I'm starting to worry that he'll be too pooped from his long stressfull day that he won't want to meet fans and sign autographs.

Hey I just got an idea for a meeting place for us JWFans: the arrival gate at Logan airport so we can see John Williams when he gets off the plane.

That'd be really cool, if we actually saw him, but would it be stalking?

Ray Barnsbury

Yes, you are correct Alex.

All the crap has been pretty much filtered from classical music in the last few hundred years.

What's bein performed today is the best what this artform has to offer.

So, what's left in the minority that you do like?

So, what's left in the minority that you do like?

Theme from 2001: A Space Odessey.

Wow... that's a pretty small minority you've got there. Anything else? :angry: