Favorite Post Return of the Jedi Star Wars Score

Lurker

What is Your Favorite Post Return of the Jedi Star Wars Score?  

41 members have voted

1. 1.

• The Ewok Adventure (Peter Bernstein)
    • Ewoks: The Battle for Endor (Peter Bernstein)
    • Shadows of the Empire (Joel McNeely)
    • The Phantom Menace (John Williams)
    • Attack of the Clones (John Williams)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to believe 5 people voted for McNeeley's score. Are these people joking? It was NOT that great.

I know I wasn't joking.

Neil

Shadows of the Empire was my second choice, The Phantom Menace being the first...

And how about those Ewok scores -- has anyone heard them? How are they?

Hard to believe 5 people voted for McNeeley's score. Are these people joking? It was NOT that great.

I know I wasn't joking.

Neil

Are you saying that SOTE is better than anything JW made between 1990 and 1999?!

I know I wasn't joking.

Neil

Are you saying that SOTE is better than anything JW made between 1990 and 1999?!

Interesting way to look at it, but I guess so. I firmly believe John's best period is 1977 to 1984 and nothing can really touch that. The 90's never really excited me and there were albums that came out that I didn't buy. I didn't even buy Jurassic Park until after I had The Lost World. But I seem to listen to Shadows more than any of Williams' 90's stuff.

Neil

Yeah quite a statement!

To each his own I guess.

I really do think SOTE is a great score.

The problem is that SOTE is McNeeley's "Cutthroat Island". Its that one score which like CI for Debney stands head and shoulders (hell even torso and legs) above ANYTHING else he has ever done.

Its even worse for McNeeley because at least Debney has SOME other scores of note.

McNeeley is a TRUE one hit wonder in every sense of the term. I mean what the hell happened? He did that one score then everything else was weak.

I don't think that's saying much in Debney's case. That score is hugely overrated.

And I can't understand for the life of me how Neil's saying that wth a straight face.

I can't understand for the life of me how Neil's saying that wth a straight face.

Because......I've never been a huge fan of 90's Williams scores and I apologize if I ever made you think I was.

Neil

Well, I thought it was a given that if you were a huge Williams fan you'd love at least one of the 90's scores, and certainly above SoTE.

The Williams scores from about 1994-1999 tend to have a good/great Main Theme but little else to listen to on the album. Take these examples...

Saving Private Ryan

Rosewood

Seven Years In Tibet

Angela's Ashes

Amistad

Sleepers

Nixon

Sabrina

But the early 90s (1990-1993) JW had consistently (in my opinion) solid overall scores, with many great themes and cues:

Home Alone I & II

Hook

Far and Away

Jurassic Park

Schindlers List

I already stated this but Schindler's List is my favorite 90s Williams score, hands down. With the exception of "Schindlers Workforce" every track on the OST is great. I even like the non-score cues.

The pairing of the childrens song with the chilling Nacht Aktion is very moving. I actually wish the film version of the song was on the CD.

Williams is (in)famous for bombastic and exciting scores (1975-84), but SL is a complete 180 degrees in the opposite direction. The tone is somber and deeper but equally emotional as his 75-84 period.