The Sugarland Express Coming to DVD

Lurker

According to spielbergfilms.com Spielberg's and Williams' first collaboration, The Sugarland Express, will be coming to DVD on August 17th. No special features have been announced yet. You can view the cover here.

Duel is also finally expected to finally, really, honestly, and truly be released that day as well.

Neil

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay!

Sugarland is incredibly underrated. It's not a fast movie, and it's not an incredibly interesting movie, but the characters really draw you in. All of them. Clovis and Lou Jean are like "kids raising kids", Big Ben's like a sympathetic surrogate father to them, and even the couple whose car gets stolen. To me, it's like a direct ancestor to Straight Story by David Lynch.

Finaly! I just saw the movie again a couple of weeks ago, and it's really a great movie. Pauline Kael got it right that time in saying that it was one of the greatest debuts ever (Though Citizen Kane is kinda fortified at number 1 on that list).

But the boot is great sound quality at least, unlike Black Sunday.

Morlock- who loves the SE score

I've never seen Suglerland Express. I'm more excitied about Duel, since i've seen that and know it's really good.

Hey,it's not nice to talk about people when they are not there.

Which kinda proves my point. If he was interested in SE, he'd be here talking about it, wouldn't he? But he's not, since he hates movies like this that the rest of us probably like.

I've never seen Suglerland Express. I'm more excitied about Duel, since i've seen that and know it's really good.

IMO Sugerland Express is better than Duel. And the score is certainly better.

Yes this is a fun movie, I'd rather see it than Catch Me if you can. It strongly reminds me of a famed 70's movie that came after it, Dog day afternoon, but Sugarland has more drama.

Yeah but I am curious to see if anyone will buy it just because Williams scored it. Not that they are interested in the movie all that much per se.

Morlock: Are you serious about the sound quality? I always considered Sugarland Express one of the worst sounding boots. My DVD extract of Black Sunday is sweet though... did I send that to you? If I didn't already, I will.

As for the DVD, I'll be getting it. It was a decent movie, but hardly one I would consider buying on DVD other than the fact that it's an unreleased Williams score that is supposed to have 5.1 sound. ;)

Speaking about that, we got Deluxe Fury set shortly after the Fury DVD came out, almost like they found some soundtrack masters while looking to put the movie to DVD.

Hence... maybe they found some nice soundtrack masters while remastering Sugarland Express to DVD and plan to make a long-awaited soundtrack CD release of this one? ;)

-Chris, Who wants a legit release of Sugarland Express even though he thinks it's possibly Williams most oddest and (IMO) unlikeable scores... :P

Edited: I see how Morlock could have confused my words....

Morlock: Are you serious about the sound quality? I always considered Sugarland Express one of the worst sounding boots. My DVD extract of Black Sunday is sweet though... did I send that to you? If I didn't already, I will.

As for the DVD, I'll be getting it. It was a decent movie, but hardly one I would consider buying on DVD other than the fact that it's an unreleased Williams score that is supposed to have 5.1 sound. ;)

Speasking about that, we saw the Deluxe Fury set shortly after the DVD. Maybe they found some nice masters and plan to make a long-awaited CD release of this one? ;)

-Chris, Who wants it even though he thinks it's possibly Williams most oddest and (IMO) unlikeable scores... ;)

You sent me the 2 CD one, I don't know if that was yours or not.

But I'm not sure I was any gifts from someone who doesn't like The Fury.... :roll: ;):P

Morlock: Who doesn't like The Fury? It's tied with ESB as my favorite score of all time, and I like the movie as well (albeit I think of it as an extremely guilty pleasure AND I like DePalma's style).

As for Steef's signature/avatar... crude it is.

Then again, as hypnotic as those are... I'm more of a leg & butt guy myself. Well... for my fiance's that is.... :)

-CJ, A faithful guy....

Morlock: Who doesn't like The Fury? It's tied with ESB as my favorite score of all time, and I like the movie as well (albeit I think of it as an extremely guilty pleasure AND I like DePalma's style).

I thought you said it was possibly Williams' oddest and most unlikable scores, I missed the smilies.

What is going with out little transaction by the way?

NO... I was talking about Sugarland Express when I said oddest and most unlikable scores. It's... um... unique... but I personally can't find anything really great about it. Not saying I don't want a nice, crisp, legit release... but I'm not begging for one.

The Fury... I've raved millions of times about how I love that score!!! Film or album version... both flawless. Making the Deluxe Edition a MUST-HAVE for ANY true Williams fan, IMO. :(

BTW, Your CDs are ready, write me about it! :D

NO... I was talking about Sugarland Express when I said oddest and most unlikable scores. It's... um... unique... but I personally can't find anything really great about it.

I like very much how it sounds on 'The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration'. In fact, to me it's one of the album's highlights. Listen to the glissando brass! The original recording will never sound that good.

Of course, if you only dig Williams for his SW/Indy/Supes scores then you probably gonna miss out on all his other fine efforts.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I love The Sugarland Express score. I like the feeling of the main theme, not the one most compilations, which is much too slow and drawn out, but the great lazy one with the guitar into.

'Passing The Road Barrier' is a great track, the only track from the movie that could possibly fit in another JW score, but it's still great.

And since I always love JW doing something different, I love the 7-8 that are totaly different and in different genres- 'Plans'- very 70's, disco feel, 'Car Congestion'- which is 60's, 'Easy Lounge'- which is, well, easy lounge, 'The Parade'- which is just plain fun, 'gifts'- which fittingly sounds like music from a Southern town parade, 'The Quarrel' and 'Country Roads'- which are general Southern tracks.

I just love the free, often lazy feel of the score, and something totaly independant from any other JW work ('The Handy-Can' is also a great track). I think the track on the compilations is not at all representative of this fun score, and I personaly can't stand how slow and deliberate it is.

NO... I was talking about Sugarland Express when I said oddest and most unlikable scores. It's... um... unique... but I personally can't find anything really great about it.

I like very much how it sounds on 'The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration'. In fact, to me it's one of the album's highlights. Listen to the glissando brass! The original recording will never sound that good.

Of course, if you only dig Williams for his SW/Indy/Supes scores then you probably gonna miss out on all his other fine efforts.

Umm... You never heard the boot did you? I wish the whole score was more like that concert track, myself.

I should have mentioned that the main theme is good. The rest.. well.. it makes people want to kill or maim me if I play it. LOL I'm not kidding either!

In fact, that's the score I reach for if I want to annoy someone! :D

Morlock's heard it... and I'm glad he liked it. Again, I'm glad that a score that I'm not crazy about is loved by someone else. Morlock is the 1st I've heard who seems to really love the score. Well, maybe one other guy I traded with a year or two ago.

But I can guess at least one reason why it hasn't seen a legit release. Like Morlock described... you can imagine that assembling an album from such different cues might be a challange.

Of course, a legit release would have better sound, hence I'd likely like it a hell of alot better than the boots.

-CJ

PS to Morlock: I see how you could have confused my words because I re-read that post and saw how confusing it was. I corrected it... hope that helps! :(

Morlock's heard it... and I'm glad he liked it. Again, I'm glad that a score that I'm not crazy about is loved by someone else. Morlock is the 1st I've heard who seems to really love the score.

And I have you to thank for it! :(

• 6 years later...

I think I found why Williams is against a CD release of "The eiger Sanction":

It just struck me that I sat in on a couple of cues that John Williams conducted for the film. Williams hated the Universal scoring stage as did all the composers who worked on it. For "The Eiger Sanction," Williams talked Clint Eastwood into moving the scoring sessions to Warner Brothers which was done halfway through scoring. Next time you watch the film you might notice the difference. The Universal cues sound pinched and dead while the WB recorded stuff has that great WB sound on the brass.

This wonderful bit on information is provided by Ed Nassour, an ex studio head who in the passed few months joined Film Score Monthly and has been providing tons of wonderful insider, detailed, interesting posts. I spent over an hour just going through posts he made. the stories he does/and could tell!

SUGARLAND EXPRESS remains one of the few Spielberg films I don't yet own on DVD. Is it really true that there are no extras whatsoever on it? That's really weird. I don't understand why this film is so neglected - both in terms of film and musical presentation. I've had the boot for years, and it sounds so painfully bad that I hardly every play it.

Nope, my edition says no extras. I do remember the image quality to be pretty good though, so it's not total neglect really.

I imagine even more will buy it just because spielberg directed it.

This film has been available on Reigon 2 dvd for a good few years now, and so has "Duel". I bought them, not just because they are directed by Steven Spielberg, and not just because "TSE" is scored by J.W. I bought them because they are both damn good films.