Best Placed Cymbals in a JW Track

A24

I think John Williams is a master when it comes to writing for percussion. Unlike some film composers who use it to make a lot of noise (percussion impresses, it's an instant action mood), John always makes sure it benefits his composition. With him it's never just...there.

This thread singles out the "orchestral cymbals". Whether it's played with hands or mallet, what do you think is the single best cymbal hit, cymbal crash, sizzle, roll or scrape in a John Williams track?

I choose, the first heard cymbal crash (around the 22-23 second mark) in Prologue, the first track from Hook. I like how it hits an empty space without falling into the typical role of accentuating the bassdrum or the first bar of the climax.

----------------

Alex Cremers

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, Williams' best use of a cymbal was in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom as the inflatible raft falls from the mountain into the river below. Just as the raft hits the water Williams' uses the cymbal as the sound effect for the splash down into the water. It's an easy and obvious orchestration but the timing was just perfect.

-Erik-

Just as the raft hits the water Williams' uses the cymbal as the sound effect for the splash down into the water.

Is it on the CD?

The climax of 'The Duel' (aka Clash of the Lightsabers) from ESB as Leia, Chewie, Lando and the droids escape from Bespin. I always get goosebumps.

Just as the raft hits the water Williams' uses the cymbal as the sound effect for the splash down into the water.

Is it on the CD?

Yup... track 6 "Slalom on Mt. Humol"

-Erik-

my favorite instance of JW cymbal crashing is the series of crashes at the end of the Boston Pops version of "The Imperial March" (Pops in Space and By Request). my adrenaline level rises every time i hear it and for this reason, i think this re-recording is better than the original (although performance-wise i think the Skywalker Symphony one is much crisper).

sorry it doesnt quite answer the question posed since as a concert work its not tracked against any scene. but i thought id mention it anyway because i think it is just outstanding.

sorry it doesnt quite answer the question posed since as a concert work its not tracked against any scene.  but i thought id mention it anyway because i think it is just outstanding.

Don't worry. My entry was never used in the film.

The climax of 'The Duel' (aka Clash of the Lightsabers) from ESB as Leia, Chewie, Lando and the droids escape from Bespin.  I always get goosebumps.

beerchug :angry:

And I'll mention another instance in "Temple of Doom:" In "Slave Children's Crusade," at the 2:49 point. The cymbals really are on fire at that point, though they've been played fairly strong through the cue. Good stuff. You can't help but play along.

Jeff

There are two "Best uses" -

#1. The throne room, from the end of ANH - It's in the 3rd measure, beat 2. I don't know why it's so important, but there are a lot of arrangements that seem to have lost it or forgotten about it, and when I hear those I'm always upset because my favorite cymbal crash is missing!

#2. From "Confrontation with Dooku and Finale" in AOTC - right as the picture switches from Palpatine & the clone army to Padme & Anakin on the lake, there's a huge hit on something. I don't know if it's a tam-tam with a strange mallet, or a really huge sizzle cymbal, but it gives me goosebumps every time! It's also kind of the obvious thing to do right there (the tempo slows way down in about two beats and there's a very tense pick-up into the love theme), but boy, is it effective!

my favorite instance of JW cymbal crashing is the series of crashes at the end of the Boston Pops version of "The Imperial March" (Pops in Space and By Request).  my adrenaline level rises every time i hear it and for this reason, i think this re-recording is better than the original (although performance-wise i think the Skywalker Symphony one is much crisper).

sorry it doesnt quite answer the question posed since as a concert work its not tracked against any scene.  but i thought id mention it anyway because i think it is just outstanding.

I forgot about this one - it's awesome! No other recording does that, and I love it and always miss it when it's gone! I enjoy it more than the original too, but I don't like the Skywalker Symphony for some reason. I think maybe it's too slow? I'll have to listen again and remember - I haven't heard that recording in years.

I've always been impressed with the cymbal tapping (and the general percussiveness) of the chase tracks in AOTC.

Another concert track: the ending of the "Shark Cage Fuge", from the Tribute to Spielberg album. Well, at least the start of the series of endings.

One thing that I like is that sometimes you might expect a cymbal crash in certain part of the music, but Williams doesn't put a cymbal there, then you think when that part repeats itself is where it will appear, then all of a sudden the cymbal appears in the middle of the phrase instead of that the top or end of the previos one, sort of like an element of surprise there. I think some of this can be exemplified on the opening scene of E.T. where the mothership leaves, also at the end of the movie.

One thing that I like is that sometimes you might expect a cymbal crash in certain part of the music, but Williams doesn't put a cymbal there...

Yep, that's him.

For me... It is no contest... In the Finale and end credits of Superman (the film version, Rhino CD, disc 2, track #13 at 4:49)

Right before the key change... I've been waiting for this performance of the theme since the first time I heard it in the Metropolitan Theatre back in 1978... Always sends chills down my spine.

BK: :music: Finale and End Title March from Superman

Far From Home/E.T. Alone. Right when the big mothership takes off there is a huge crash of cymbal. That's up there with the already mentioned The Duel crash on the goosebump scale. :music:

Justin

Yeah I forgot about the cymbal when the mothership takes off. I recognize it when I'm listening to it on CD, but it only really registers when it's accompanied by the visuals.

I'm also thinking about the opening fanfare of "The Quidditch Match." That "boom, tzzz" that occurs as the horns are playing the fanfare is signature Williams, and such fun to hear.

Jeff

The very last cymbal in the "1941" march (from the original album) also has a nice ring to it. And it's a "boom-tzzz" of the softer kind.

----------------

Alex Cremers