the first poll: Is Han Solo & The Princess a love theme?

Do you consider Han Solo & The Princess a Love theme?  

73 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

According to Lucas and Williams himself, the Love Theme from AOTC is the first love theme in the Star Wars saga.

However, for many years Han Solo & The Princess has been labeled as such.

What do you think?

Stefancos- who thinks williams and Lucas are wrong. :lol:

However, for many years Han Solo & The Princess has been labeled as such.

Furthermore, the title of the track in the original CD release of The Empire Strikes Back is "Han Solo and the Princess (Love Theme)"

AND most importantly, in the liner notes written by John Williams for the original 2-LP set, the composer himself states the following:

"Han Solo and the Princess"

"The love theme associated with their developing relationship is in the tradition beloved by the romantic operatic composers of the nineteenth century. Such stylized melodies are deceptively simple but difficult for a composer to come by, and when placed in a space setting evoke a wonderful feeling of romance and adventure. The love theme is interrupted by Darth Vader who, accompanied by quiet but dissonant strings, communicates with the Galactic Emperor"

Mike Matessino also labels this composition as a love theme in the liner notes for the TESB SE 2CD set.

:lol:

It probably is, though chronologically, Across the Stars IS the first love theme, as it appears two hole epsiodes for Han Solo and the Princess. :lol:

Now how do we classify Leia's Theme? One of the most amazing pieces of music ever written.

It probably is, though chronologically, Across the Stars IS the first love theme, as it appears two hole epsiodes for Han Solo and the Princess. :lol:

Yeah....right.

Now how do we classify Leia's Theme? One of the most amazing pieces of music ever written.

It's certianly a very romantic theme, more romantic then Leia in ANH.

And is Luke and Leia a love theme, not romantic love, but still.

Stefancos- who wonders if that sad music from TESB, when Chewie is puttinng 3PO back together, is a love theme...gotta be open minded. :wink:

Emailed topic reply notices actually work on this board! I never got one sent to me on the last MB. :lol:

Ricard & Co., please try to get those evil smirk faces imported in the Emoticon choices if you can.

Look! This one is for Steef! :P

-Chris

The "Private Message" function is also working, and I recieved an e-mail advising me of that, too.

Neil - who was really close to 1500 posts at the other board

As James just mentioned in an email, he thinks that so far he likes this MB a little bit better than the last one, and I have to say that I agree. 8O

Might as well :P

:lol:

I actually thought of it as their theme like the other theme in AOTC. The one in Medow picnic I think. It's Padme and Anakins theme, but not THE LOVE THEME.

I think that it could be a love theme of sorts, but it is nothing like the AOTC love theme. This Love theme from AOTC is full blown, like the old days with gone with the wind, Romeo and Juliet, and other love stories. Han and Leia is sort of a secondary love theme. Anakin and Padme's love is one of the main plots of the movie.

Neil - who was really close to 1500 posts at the other board

You're about to hit 2 digits Neil! :devil:

Justin - :music:

I think that it could be a love theme of sorts, but it is nothing like the AOTC love theme.  This Love theme from AOTC is full blown, like the old days with gone with the wind, Romeo and Juliet, and other love stories.  Han and Leia is sort of a secondary love theme.  Anakin and Padme's love is one of the main plots of the movie.

What?!?! :music:

I think Han Solo and the Princess is a very romantic, and very sweet. You can different types of love themes. They can be very sweet, and lovely (Love Theme from Superman) or it can be tragic, like those chromatic, dissonant love themes.

So, I voted for "Yes" It is a love theme. Lucas is doing this to get girls packing movie theaters.

One of the more underplayed themes in the Star Wars pantheon.

Very nice, and deceptively simple.

Frosty

Who has the score to Han Solo and the Princess

Hey Neil you'll get there again,

Joe, who had passed Justin just before the board went down. Boy did I love doing that. :mrgreen:

Hey Neil you'll get there again

Yeah, I'm not concerned, I just noticed that it was right around 1500, which I thought was a nice round number.

Neil

Joe, who had passed Justin just before the board went down.  Boy did I love doing that. 8O

You may be ahead of me now but wait till you go to sleep I'll stay up all night BWHAHAHAHAAAAAAHAHAAAAAA!!!! :mrgreen:

Justin -Who needs to take his pills....

I think that it could be a love theme of sorts, but it is nothing like the AOTC love theme.  This Love theme from AOTC is full blown, like the old days with gone with the wind, Romeo and Juliet, and other love stories.  Han and Leia is sort of a secondary love theme.  Anakin and Padme's love is one of the main plots of the movie.

Yes. I agree with that. I think Williams doesn't consider it a love theme because it wasn't fully blown into a separate theme like Across the Stars. That's my opinion. Does it make sense?

~Harry :thumbup:

Williams wrote a concert version of 'Han Solo and the Princess' as part of the 5-movement suite of TESB. There are three recordings available of that concert arrangement, none of them conducted by Williams.

And no, it was never released on single.

Ricard, what are the 3 recordings? I have the Gerhardt and the City of Prague recordings, so where is the third one?

Neil

To be honest, I really don't remember much of ESB. My opinion can be discounted. I did vote yes, though. I think that it is a love theme. All I'm saying is that, from what I remember, That is not a huge part of the movie. I could be wrong. Actually, I probably am. Never mind. All I wanted to do was create another opinion, but you guys just... tore me... apart :cry:

:music: Conor - No hard feelings

Ricard, what are the 3 recordings?  I have the Gerhardt and the City of Prague recordings, so where is the third one?

Neil

The third recording was first released in 1992 as part of a CD called 'Big Screen Adventure', then re-released in 1995 as 'John Williams: Greatest Action Hits'. The CD contains suites from Indiana Jones, E.T., Superman and the Star Wars Trilogy.

The music was performed by the London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Roy Budd. Not as good as the Gerhardt version, but better than the City of Prague.

Here's a link to the Amazon page for the 1995 release, plus the complete track listing:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00...QFE/jwfancom-20

1. "RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK/INDIANA JONES" SUITE
    2. "E.T." SUITE
    3. "SUPERMAN" SUITE
    (i) March of the Villains
    (ii) Can You Read My Mind (Love Theme)
    (iii) Main Theme
    4. "STAR WARS TRILOGY" SUITE
    (i) Main Theme
    (ii) Princess Leia's Theme
    (iii) Imperial March
    (iv) Yoda's Theme
    (v) Han Solo and the Princess
    (vi) Parade of the Ewoks

To be honest, I really don't remember much of ESB. My opinion can be discounted. I did vote yes, though. I think that it is a love theme. All I'm saying is that, from what I remember, That is not a huge part of the movie. I could be wrong. Actually, I probably am. Never mind. All I wanted to do was create another opinion, but you guys just... tore me... apart

Well, it is used about as much in the film as Across the Stars is in AOTC...

I think "Han Solo and the Princess" is a love theme, to some extent.

It's romantic, sweeping, and, at moments, very emotional.....the orchestration would lead me to assume, but here's what convinces me that it's not a "full blown love theme"....

......it doesn't reach the heights that a real love theme (those that are parts of a broad symphonic score). "Across The Stars" (or whatever you want to call it), does reach those heights and it's not a love like Han and Leia had........this is a passionate love. Love themes emphasize passion and desire. Anakin and Padmé have set the standard for an intergalactic passionate desire.......Han and Leia play with the thought of passionate desire.

But by it being the "first love theme", I've always thought of it chronologically, since it's the first time in the SW canon that a true love story is explored.

Dan - wondering if Qui-Gon and Shmi ever did the nasty when Anakin was out with his buddies..... :(

:) "Growing Old" from Bicentennial Man (Horner)

Qui-Gon and Shmi, doing the nasty?! Sounds like another "immaculate conception" to me. Funny you should bring this up. David Denby's review of AOTC in this week's New Yorker mocks Lucas for doing the impossible: turning Neeson and MacGregor, whom he calls two of the sexiest actors in the English language, into stick men, in TPM. Perhaps Qui-Gon was sexier than he knew?

In any case, OF COURSE Han and Leia's theme is a love theme. And it is used at least as prominently in TESB as (the variably-titled) "Across the Stars" is in AOTC. Personally, I prefer Han and Leia, but I suppose that is no surprise, since I'm so CONSERVATIVE. :sarcasm:

Remember the review of the soundtrack Neil posted at the old board? The one where the newspaper critic claimed this was the first love theme in the saga? Well, it occurred to me, since now Lucas and Williams are apparently making the same claim, that this critic was merely falling back on whatever it may have said in the promotional material. Promos often come with a lot of hype whipped together by the advertising department. A lazy reviewer could simply fall back on what he is given and not be bothered to check his facts. That's pretty bad. But then again I knew this guy once, and he's a big faker. I'd go so far as to suggest how he got the job, if I didn't think it would cross the line and get my post edited. :o

It also occured to me that Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher, at the time they filmed TESB, were older than the leads in the new film, but probably not that much older. It's a sign of the times that the popular conception of the romantic male has degenerated from rakish mercenary-with-a-heart-of-gold (Han) to radical skatepunk (Anakin). And in only 20 years! Time was, when men were men -- Bogart, John Wayne, Harrison Ford -- and now men are -- Luke Perry?

Figo, who predicts Macaulay Culkin will portray Anakin in "Episode III."

In any case, OF COURSE Han and Leia's theme is a love theme. And it is used at least as prominently in TESB as (the variably-titled) "Across the Stars" is in AOTC. Personally, I prefer Han and Leia, but I suppose that is no surprise, since I'm so CONSERVATIVE.

Haha, but I agree.

Morn - Wondering why the post count percentage only adds up to 99% :o

The third recording was first released in 1992 as part of a CD called 'Big Screen Adventure', then re-released in 1995 as 'John Williams: Greatest Action Hits'. The CD contains suites from Indiana Jones, E.T., Superman and the Star Wars Trilogy.

The music was performed by the London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Roy Budd. Not as good as the Gerhardt version, but better than the City of Prague.

WOW....i've had that CD for 2 years now, did I ever listen to it?

Stefancos- who bought it once for 99 cents

Thank you!  I may have to look into this release.  Is it any good?

Personally I like it a lot. And it contains a great arrangement of the Temple of Doom Suite :)

I haven't read the whole thread, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned: Both are love themes, but Han Solo and the Princess is more of a "romantic theme", while Across the Stars is an "extra thick" love theme. If that makes sense to you. :spiny:

:) Attack of the Clones

I think it's funny that there's people on this site that think that "Han Solo & the Princess," also sometimes referred to as "Han and Leia's Love Theme" wouldn't be a love theme just because it's not as "overly romantic" as that of Padme and Anakin, the so-called "Across the Stars." Of course Han and Leia's Theme is a love theme, if it weren't then it wouldn't be referred to by their joint naming! It's not a friendship theme for cryin' out loud! Now take "Luke and Leia's Love Theme," now there's a love theme that isn't passionately romantic, it's more reflective and controlled, as the Skywalker twins reevaluate their relationship.

I can understand why Lucas and Williams would argue that the Love Theme of Anakin and Padme is the "first" love theme of the Star Wars dual-trilogy, since their "official" standpoint is of the episodic order, not of the theatrical release order. But I would argue that the love shared by Han and Leia is just as fiery and just as important as that shared by Anakin and Padme. Sure, the love of the latter gave birth to Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa (Solo), two of the three main heroes of the classic trilogy, and hence their love cannot be ignored, but that does not make it so incredibly more important than that of Han and Leia. I mean, if Leia didn't love Han so much, she wouldn't have risked her neck as Boushh to save his life!

All three Star Wars love themes have become concert pieces in their own right, it's just "Across the Stars" is the "newest" one to hit audiences, even though it comes "first" in watching the movies from I to VI. Both passionate romantic love themes have about equal prevalance in their respective "middle-of-the-trilogy" films, it's just people will say that Padme and Anakin's Theme is more romantic since it's supposed to be the main plotline of the movie, while in Empire, Han and Leia's love is supposed to be secondary to Vader's mad search for Luke.

I still prefer "Han and Leia's Love Theme" to "Anakin and Padme's Love Theme" anyday, probably because I just love the kiss scene in the Falcon's cockpit, and the look on Leia's face as Han is frozen, not to mention the heart-wrenching performance of their love theme at that moment, are priceless.

Darth Wojo - Who thinks maybe the reason that Anakin and Padme's love is getting more attention is because in this day and age, a passionate kiss has to have tongue in it, and these two kiss with more tongue than Han and Leia did, and so they must be more in love, even if their acting is staler than that of Ford and Fisher...

blah-blah-blah

We're making a surprisingly big deal about this. Let's face it: Williams and Lucas, of all people, each simply had a memory slip. They messed up. Need we say more?

Thank you! I may have to look into this release. Is it any good?

Personally I like it a lot. And it contains a great

One thing Ricard and I will aways agree about is TOD. If you say it is worth it I must try and get it.

thanks.

Hlao-roo!!!!!!!

I was wondering where you were! What kept you so long?

Dan - glad to see a familiar face.....er, avatar

:) "I Do Believe It" from The Others (Amenàbar)

So there really is a third recording of this theme.

I wonder why Williams has not recorded it, it's one of his most beautiful themes ever.

Hector - who considers "Han Solo and The Princess" a love theme

I read a rumour (I think it was here, actually), that he really doesn't like the theme.

It is one of his more simple themes, yet a very pretty one.

Dan - who loves simplicity in all things

I don't believe that, director. How can he compose something so pretty without liking it himself?

Well, I personally like the theme as well, but maybe Williams doesn't. It's possible.

Dan - who doesn't doubt it if Johnny dislikes "Something for Rosa" from Earthquake after all these years.

But that's Earthquake. How can he compose something so good and so popular without liking it himself?

Of course, but...... it is too good and too popular. Almost so much that in a way you could call it objectivily good. Therefore, how could Williams not like it, because he is the person that created it.