• Eh,it's overall pretty good,i was expecting better
    • I like some part of it but some of it is lacking
    • PS was much better,this one doesn't have any great themes
    • I don't like it,I am very disappointed

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've listened once, and I must listen again.

Its funny, listening to the score, I've been reminded of Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters, Superman, ESB, TOD, Far and Away, and Lost World, not to mentioin HPSS, and HPCOS.

This score is truely a marvelous achievement. I can't wait to hear it with film. I love the chorus, and I love the drums opening several tracks. The first time takes you out of your seat.

It's the best HP score yet, and also the most original. There's something in it for everyone.

I loved the first HP scores, and the two sounded positively similar, but this one just feels like it is on a league of its own. I predict the same thing will happen with the movies.

Very different from the first two scores, and very surprising to me in several places. I'll need a second listen to truly get a feel for it, but I know it's a keeper!

Ray Barnsbury

none of that AOTC bad taste in your mouth either.

The drought is officially over, and what a great way to end it. This is a stunning album. Of all of Williams' modern scores, his best work is being done on Potter. This score just feels right and totally entertains throughout. The kids are growing up and so is the music right there with them.

Now, where's that Terminal download! :)

Neil

I'm not suprised by the quality of this score. I have yet to be truly disappointed by any Williams score I've heard.

Totally different from the first two(except Lumos of course ;) ) But totally good!!!

Audax - Who's had a great day yesterday

Fresh, energetic, surprising, but sounds curiously detached in spots. The action cues are superbly constructed but sound busier than they are truly visceral. This is the most inspired mickey-mousing Williams has done in some time, but it's still just that -- mickey-mousing -- and the only emotion he conjures up -- for me, as I know everyone will disagree with me here -- is a vague, generic sense of frenzy. Unlike Silvestri's rousing but monotonic Van Helsing, even the action tracks here don't quite bleed into each other, yet there's no exceptional melody or motivic hook that comes to the forefront and really takes charge here. In an odd way, the score manages to sound almost humdrum without overtly retreading on previous territory. The score is more ambitious (much like the novel/film for which it was written), pursuing a kind of primeval sense of mystery and mysticism...Williams takes us beyond the predictable fluttery strings, whirling woodwinds, jingling percussion that characterized the first two scores and gives us something that sounds less consciously child-like...but somehow the approach meshes awkwardly with the literal-minded, straight-forward-adventure approach to the action writing.

Very mixed feelings about this score, obviously. I'm eager to see how it works with its movie.

I TOLD YOU PEOPLE THIS WOULD BE ONLINE WELL BEFORE THE CD RELEASED! ;)

Seriously though I am about to listen to it now. I'll get back to you all.

The action for me, as I know everyone will disagree with me here -- is a vague, generic sense of frenzy.  .

I disagree,except for one cue,that one called "The Werewolf Scene",I don't get any vibes from that one.

K.M.

Its absolutely stunning. It's original, its different, its very fresh. I think it could easily become widely known as John Williams' best score for a whole decade, i honestly can't think of any score that conjured such magic, emotion and wonder on a whole with a first listen.

The dry-spell is over. Buckbeak's Flight brought tears to my eyes and so many moments made me tingle all over.

Joel-who is obviously head over heels with this score. And just like K.M., only POA threads mattered for me today, i even went to loads of other boards to discuss and to see what others thought of the score. The response seems to be that many people are very surprised by it, in a good way. ;);):mrgreen: SO HAPPY

i love buckbeak, the knight bus, and forward to time past. i mean i love it all but i remember those clearly.

I listened to it twice and I am almost speechless. Can't... think... of... words... to describe...

Yes, got it now. By far the best Harry Potter score. So good, in fact, that it doesn't even sound like a typical Potter score. Like one other poster above, I too couldn't help being reminded of Williams' previous scores like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Superman, Jaws and The Lost World: Jurassic Park in some sections. I mean... WOWZA! Many cues in this soundtrack sound very much like a relaxing Celtic CD that you pick up from those New Age stores.

However, my only concern is the absence of previously established themes from the first two films - there is no trace of anything from Harry's Wondrous World anywhere here (sections of it were practically littered through the first two films and I assume that it contained the main theme for Harry and the trio, but I still can't pick out which is which). Also curiously missing is the theme for Harry's parents. Did he create a new theme for them with A Window to the Past? Whatever it is, it's bloody breathtaking. It's almost as though Williams went back and re-evaluated his entire style for this franchise. Perhaps he and the director thought those old themes wouldn't suit the tone of this film.

It doesn't sound like anything I've heard Williams do before. Did he really say that he's never been so inspired by a sequel since The Empire Strikes Back? Even if he didn't, I'm going to pretend he said it anyway.

I eagarly wait to see what Christian Clemmenson thinks of this score. He gave the first two scores four stars, which was well earned, but this one definately deserves a solid five.

;)

Did he really say that he's never been so inspired by a sequel since The Empire Strikes Back?  Even if he didn't, I'm going to pretend he said it anyway.

Well just go on pretending, because he did not say that. It was made up by a poster here.

Neil

Did he really say that he's never been so inspired by a sequel since The Empire Strikes Back?  Even if he didn't, I'm going to pretend he said it anyway.

Well just go on pretending, because he did not say that. It was made up by a poster here.

Neil

By the name of *******

:P Why the secrecy, neil?

I love the score already and I haven't even heard it yet. :P

Jeff - who likes his first listen of a JW score to be with lights out and headphones on

"The Werewolf Scene",I don't get any vibes from that one.

K.M.

I love the moment 3:06 into that cue. One of my favorite parts on the album.

Neil

By the name of *******

:P Why the secrecy, neil?

It was in JoeinAr's signature.

Neil

Wow. Harry Potter and the Composer Unbound.

Currently on my 3rd listening... but, it's still early. (As one of the few JW-HP filkers, I'm hunting new material; A Window to the Past and Hagrid the Professor look good for that purpose.)

DT reprises in 5 consecutive tracks (9-13), then during the time-turner bit, there's the heartbeat/ticking in three in a row (17-19); jazz, medieval music, more percussion, more choral -- all nice touches. Good to hear bits of Hedwig's Theme and Nimbus 2000, but I have to agree that Harry's Wondrous World is noticeable by its absence.

Its absolutely stunning. It's original, its different, its very fresh. I think it could easily become widely known as John Williams' best score for a whole decade, i honestly can't think of any score that conjured such magic, emotion and wonder on a whole with a first listen.

The dry-spell is over. Buckbeak's Flight brought tears to my eyes and so many moments made me tingle all over.

I totally agree with you!!!! :P

It is definatly not Williams' best soundtrack, but it was better than I expected! The Waltz is for me the highlight of the CD. I didn't really like the Knight Bus song, but it adds a little diversity to Williams standard (but beautiful) action cues. Lots of Star Wars and Indiana Jones in there!! And some part even reminded me of Far and Away as well :P

Obviously everyone has their own opinions about this score but I find it to be outstanding. The level of writing and originality that Williams achieved with this score is one of the biggest surprises I've had out of him of late. I mean, his level of writing is always way above anyone else working out there but I Hadn't expected to hear the variety and originality he achieved in this score. We've got whacked-out bebop jazz for Knight Bus, ethereal chorus, a beautiful English folk tune inspired theme for "A Window to the Past" and some of the most aggressive percussion music I've ever heard from Williams. The percussionist must have had a lot of fun on this one. Great rhythms too!

This score has given me a heightnened respect for Williams' ability to continually expand his compositional palette. Well done Johnny!!!

I supose possible renditions of alreadu established themes may be among the unreleased tracks, whci could total almos an hour of music.

I just want to point that while I voted for the first option, I was never close to tears. That's a bit of an extreme reaction.

Neil

Sounds really great about what you said guys!

I'm looking forward to hear this score on cd!!

This time, I'll wait to hear it first in CD quality :)

Nemesis :P

It doesn't sound like anything I've heard Williams do before. Did he really say that he's never been so inspired by a sequel since The Empire Strikes Back? Even if he didn't, I'm going to pretend he said it anyway.  

I confess, my sardonic side has to be unleashed every now and then, though I still feel in my heart of hearts that it is in someways very true.

harry's wonderous world isn't so wonderous anymore. i don't think there is that flicker of light anymore. that's why it's not in there.

i love the knight bus and more importantly FORWARD TO TIME PAST> that is excellent.

and more importantly FORWARD TO TIME PAST that is excellent.

I couldn't agree more, I love the ticking clock in the background.

Oh this is so gooooood. Gets better with each listen.

I too suspect that there is alot of more familiar music in the film that didn't make the soundtrack.

Let me be the first to demand a Complete Prisoner of Azkaban release.

I'm just listening to it for the first time- wow! I mean, I'm just on the Knight Bus- where did that come from?

I find Williams has created a new classic trademark Williams opening to his End Credit suite. Fast Nimbus 2000-HP fanfare-Fast SWTWC ,it has a similar feel as the segment that always opens the End Credits in Star Wars movies. I keep playing that part over and over.

K.M.

harry's wonderous world isn't so wonderous anymore. i don't think there is that flicker of light anymore.  that's why it's not in there.

I've said it before,i think it's because Harry outgrew his first theme.

i love the knight bus and more importantly FORWARD TO TIME PAST>  that is excellent.

I have another great CLASSIC Williams moment.At 1.34 to 2.17 in Saving Buckbeak,there's some ultra dramatic nail-biting suspence music leading up to something...I'm guessing it's when Buckbeak gets executed.

K.M.

I find Williams has created a new classic trademark Williams opening to his End Credit suite. Fast Nimbus 2000-HP fanfare-Fast SWTWC ,it has a similar feel as the segment that always opens the End Credits in Star Wars movies.

Definitely, that's spectacular. That's why I was initially disappointed with the following treatment of themes in that track. Still, it's a very good track.

Ray Barnsbury

Well, the transition between Window to the Past and Buckbeaks Flight is excellent,the Knght Bus music is tighter in the Credits.

It's more the other way around,I would have liked a longer concert versions of Buckbeak's Flight and Orchestral SWTWC(instead of the period instruments) on the album,they are way too short.

Foxfan mentionned this somewhere,but the version of SWTWC in Double Trouble is rather flat on the c.d.The teaser trailer version was much better (Well same thing with Hedwig's Theme first PS teaser,and we never got that.)

Missing music?:

I know no one cares at this point,but there's 10 seconds of great unreleased music already

In the ABC PoA preview last week,you can hear at one point some of the orchestral part of SWTWC thats at 0.35-2.08 in Mischief Managed,but with an extra section of music NOT on the abum.So I have found the first unwelcome edit of Williams recording.

K.M.

I agree. That Nimbus 2000 segment is incredible.

Also missing from the cd is the other song "Winter Spell", but we already knew it would be absent.

Romão, who loves all the SWTWC versions on the cd.

I think there's a part missing from the Finale.The Dementors surround Harry,that's the scary music,then the Partonus Light theme(that's when we'll see Prongs)then there's the Window to the Past theme for what I assume is the movie's resolution at the hospital wing and when Harry reads his letter from Sirius.Now in between there is the part when Harry and Hermione fly on Buckbeak to reach Sirius in the tower and he takes off,and I don't see anything in the cue that might underscore this moment(i'm sure it's not Buckbeak's Flight)....

K.M.Not looking forward to tomorrow because he has to be somewhere he doesn't want to be.

there is also that beautiful music that starts the teaser.

Its nowhere to be found on this release, sadly.

they were certainly beautiful, even if they weren't.

Joe, who loves Aunt Marges Waltz

I believe this is by far the best Potter score. Williams has once again completely shattered my expectations. A truly beautiful score.

Ted

I just want to point that while I voted for the first option, I was never close to tears.  That's a bit of an extreme reaction.

Neil

I agree. The choices of this poll were lame. The second and third ones are pretty much the same thing. I would liked a "I really liked it but didn't cry" selection...

I agree.  The choices of this poll were lame.  

Hey,you can't critisise a King Mark poll!

The JWFan.net Message Board is aimed to be a discussion and information exchange forum mainly focused on JOHN WILLIAMS related topics. In order to make the forum an enjoyable experience for everyone, we are providing this service under the following Rules and Regulations:  

17-You cannot critisise anything King Mark says.

For the record I wanted to dsit the poll options but someone voted and then you can't.

K.M.

Music has never moved anyone here to tears? It doesn't happen often to me by any means, but sometimes when everything at a given moment is aligned just right, music can be the catalyst to cause those eyes to well up.

Ray Barnsbury

I can say that after the second listen, there were tears in my eyes when I heard Buckbeack's flight, Window to the Past and Finale. There really were.

The finale when the Patronus Light with horns comes on...i'm sure it will be quite a moment on screen.

Buckbeaks Flight is quite an enigma,very soaring and majestic,yet there is no real defined theme to it.

K.M.