who do you like the PoA score  

46 members have voted

1. 1.

• It was so beautiful i was holding back tears.Awsome
    • Eh,it's overall pretty good,i was expecting better
    • I like some part of it but some of it is lacking
    • PS was much better,this one doesn't have any great themes
    • I don't like it,I am very disappointed

Music has never moved anyone here to tears?  It doesn't happen often to me by any means, but sometimes when everything at a given moment is aligned just right, music can be the catalyst to cause those eyes to well up.

Ray Barnsbury

Couldn't have put it better myself. I feel the exact same way.

Ted

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, KM, that scene could be really powerful.

And can't you imagine Buckbeack's flight playing with a majestic sequence of harry flying on the back of the hypogriph over mountains and valleys. That too must be quite a sequence.

The part that keeps playing in my head for some reason is the little string intro to Mischief Managed

K.M.

Oh, damn! You guys are getting my hopes up BIG time now! :)

Someone want to send me a CDR of it? You know I'll get the pressed one when it's out but dial-up kills me!

Why couldn't it come out when I was with Au in Thailand... her University's network has a high speed connection. DAMN!!!

-Chris

NP: Fleetwood Mac: Say You Will; "Running Through The Garden"

I tried it. It was working fine until maybe track 3 or 4, then it died and restarted at the 1st track again.

Keep in mind that although I have a 56k, it usually is only running at 24-42kbps. Mostly 24k, like right now. I don't know why... but my best friend (who is a PC fix-it-man) believes it's old phone lines around my house and the fact that I live a few miles from my ISP. Who knows... it just sucks and is exceedingly inconsistant.

What I heard sounded pretty good. Like I said... I didn't hear much, but other than the 1st track, it wasn't typical Potter music. This, IMO, is a good thing because neither of the 1st two impressed me too much. I'll await the CD a little more eagerly now.

I also want to praise Ricard, Neil and whomever else had something to do with the big new PoA page. So much useful information there, and it's great that you also included the reviews and track by track stuff.

Have you heard it? it's an average Horner score. Nowhere near as good as Yared's, but pretty good for somethign pulled together at that speed. And the sound quality on Horner's Troy is great.

Although, I have only listened to it once, I love it. It is pure JW magic that we have come to expect. I think this score right here shows why he is so admired and loved by all because it is a diverse score with something for everyone, also the few suprises such as the knight bus, was awsome (who expected that one :-) ). Additionally, I would agree with those that say the score is growing right along with the story line. The story line starts to take a more of a mature turn, why shouldn't the score. Overall, I am sure the score will be a hit. It is just glad to have a new JW score to listen to, when last years scores were not all that great except for the LOTR:ROTK.

And where is this quote from?

I picked it up from the guys over at the editorial offices of Universal Consensus And Intergalactic Verdict.

----------------

Alex Cremers

LOL

Actually, I think already told you that they do exist, but they operate under a different name.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Hey, JWFAN4LIFE, could you please change your avatar? No offense meant, but I drew this myself and it is somewhat dear to me, if you understand. Thanks :thumbup:

Chris

Having listened to this score six or seven times now, I have to say that each time I do so, my love of it increases. I no longer focus only on the main themes, as gorgeous as they are (Buckbeak, Harry's past) but also realizing how good the action cues are. It took me a couple times to realize how wonderful "Finale" is, particularly the horn motif King Mark talked about, and the use of the Patronus theme at the climax. Another horn motif used at the start of "Whomping Willow" is fantastic, as is another in "Quidditch 3rd Year". And "Saving Buckbeak" is wonderfully suspenseful, for instance at 2:10.

The only cue I can't make sense of is "The Werewolf Scene", which others have said as well. I get lost whenever this one comes up. No theme or even noticable motifs to latch onto. I'm sure that this will get cleared up from a listening point of view once I see the film. Then I can put a context to the music and enjoy it. The same thing happened with "Meeting Aragog", I recall.

I love this score!

I think the two first scores gave us classic John Williams Themes to be treasured forever:Harry's Wondrous World,Hedwig's Theme,The Chamber of Secrets Fawkes the Phoenix and Dobby the House Elf.

But in PoA it just seems the overall score itself is more intricate and diversified and every track has a special unique "Williams Moment" to offer(which cannot be said of PS and CoS),making the c.d. entertaining from start to finish and full of wonders to discover.But in terms of Concert Versions to put on Williams "Best of" c.d.'s,PS and CoS still have the edge over this one.As lovely as Buckbeaks' Flight,it is more athmospheric than thematic,which is still nice,but i can't really remeber how it goes after listening to it.

K.M.

Although I don't post as often as I used to, I'm still an incredible huge John Williams fan. The last weeks especially I've been completely obsessed with John Williams' work for The Prisoner Of Azkaban. Since it was put on AOL a few days ago I've been listening to it constantly.

What a GREAT score this is! I will post a more detailed review soon, but here are some of my thoughts on the score.

There are certain tracks which are absolutely stunning and will be played thousands of time: Aunt Marge's Waltz, Buckbeak's Flight (this is such an amazing track!), A Window To The Past (I've stated before that Williams is obviousley impressed by the work of Ennio Morricone. This is further proof. Not that Williams steals from Morricone; not at all - but the melody is so gorgeously European and could have come straight from Morricone's Il Prato), Finale, Michief Managed (I know this track is created editorally for the most part, but for once: I don't care - it's amazing!)

The Snowball Fight is also amazing actually. And listen to that flute solo at the end of Secrets Of The Castle (anyone here another Williams' theme here?). It's amazing!

There are few composers who could have written this inspired work. And Williams totally reinvented the Harry Potter musical landscape!!

Like Goldenthal did on Batman Forever (sort of).

Soon my detailed review, but now I'm of one Buckbeak's flight again!!!

Bye,

Roald

I agree, KM, but a Window to the Past is worthy of any best of cd. It's an amazing composition and the next classic Jw theme.

Soon my detailed review, but now I'm of one Buckbeak's flight again!!!  

Bye,  

Roald

Roald, great to hear from you, and I eagerly await you review. I too cannot say enough good things about this score.

I will say this perhaps prematurely, and with all the fanboy sentiment, but this is truly an OSCAR caliber score.

Yes,definately,another automatic Oscar nomination for Williams,and if the movie is as great as the music I'm hearing AND he doesn't cancel himself out in the votes with The Terminal,then he might actually win this time.

K.M.

I agree, KM, but a Window to the Past is worthy of any best of cd. It's an amazing composition and the next classic Jw theme.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I knew this was THE theme for PoA as soon as I heard it, much like most of us did with Fawkes for PoA. KM has a really good point, in that there really aren't any filler tracks one would be inclined to skip; they each contribute something different and special to the overall score.

Ray Barnsbury

I'm ready for the 25th. :( Does anybody know who's theme is in Window To The Past? I haven't heard the score yet, but I'm just curious as to who's theme this is.

Justin

This could be considered a spoiler, I guess, so be warned:

I think it is related with Harry's parents and their friendship with Sirius, or someting along those lines.

More possible spoilers

I agree, Merkel. The name "Window to the Past" itself, what we all know about the plot and revelations of the story, and the theme's use with the Patronus music during the finale all indicate that the theme represents Harry's parents/father/painful past. And it's so fitting!

Ray Barnsbury

Judging by the quality of the cues on the album,It's going to be Unreleased Music Frenzy on June 5th when the movie opens.I bet that's when we'll curse the album beeing only 68 minutes and some of the stuff on the last track beeing from other cues.

K.M.Who is pretty sure of that

Judging by the quality of the cues on the album,It's going to be Unreleased Music Frenzy on June 5th when the movie opens.I bet that's when we'll curse the album beeing only 68 minutes and some of the stuff on the last track beeing from other cues.

K.M.Who is pretty sure of that

Yes. Like the Ollivander's or Mirror of Erised cues, I'm sure there are gems to this score we haven't yet heard.

I just have to say as I listen to it, that quote of Hedwig's Theme on horn in A Window to the Past is utterly fantastic. I nearly get chills every time I hear it!

Ray Barnsbury

Those choices are a little bit poor IMO.

There is too big of a gap between the first choice and the 2nd.

Plus the first one is too extreme! Moved to tears? Come on!

What do you think we are? GIRLY MEN? :(

If RL had lived in Europe in the middle ages, he would probably would have been burned by th inquisition :)

Hell no!

I would have been working for those guys! :mrgreen:

I would go from town to town bringing fear into the hearts of the non-believers. ;)

"You have zero credibility. BURN HIM!!!!"

or

"You are thereby considered guity by the holy inquisition of on the charge of being a Lier. You will be burned to death.Amen"

I like it. It is a bit disjointed for me, but I'm betting that when it is all put together in the movie and we get to hear the unreleased bits it will flow and fit better.

I do hear stuff that reminds me very strongly of CE3K, Star Wars, Catch me if you can., and a few other JW themes.

Over all I give it an A.

My initial reaction was 'Wow', later I discovered my reaction was more like 'Wow!'.

Quite some time ago I said it once and I'll say it again now: this is a (darker) Hook in the making, with all its playfullness and darkness and elaborate arrangements, themes and motifs, and diversity.