I got a new JW score today

It's Hook.

I'm really enjoying this one. Very big and brassy, but wonderfully adventurous at the same time. Great stuff.

- Marc

:D John Williams - Banning Back Home from Hook (OST)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone here know of the availability of full-score bootlegs in the UK? I assume they're difficult to get hold of, and I'm not even sure about how you lot (ok, some) would get bootleg copies in the US.

If I was to buy one it would definately be Hook. The score made me buy the film, and the other music within it makes the bootleg appeal. (Another would be Independence Day for me). Has anyone from (or in) the UK managed to buy bootlegs?

Yeah, the score's ok :D

The bootlegs are pretty common around fans (I've got one), there are several different bootlegs.

If you want to listen to bootlegs, listen to Internet radio stations, as they're apparently free to play illegal material as they like.

Next.

If you want to listen to bootlegs, listen to Internet radio stations, as they're apparently free to play illegal material as they like.

Next.

Brilliant, Alan, brilliant!

Neil

Next.

:D

It's Hook.

I'm really enjoying this one. Very big and brassy, but wonderfully adventurous at the same time. Great stuff.

I've been listening to this myself lately... Hook-napped, Arrival of Tink and Presenting The Hook are three terrific tracks. My favorites of the album. My least favorite thing about the album is that the track titles are only printed on the CD itself. Unless they've since corrected that, my Hook CD is over 10 years old.

Jeff

My OST album's booklet has the titles printed on it as well as the CD, but the listing in the booklet isn't even numbered.

Ray Barnsbury

I don't like the booklet. Only very small pictures, no track numbers or times, and those black pages that have a ton of smudgy fingerprints on them in no time.

The CD on the other hand, is wonderful. I'm not too fond of the songs, but the score is great. I need to see this film again.

- Marc

I have the Concorde CD of this. I was disappointed by the sound quality. Many of the bass drum hits were mixed too loud and ended up distorting. I found this very noticable at the end of Prologue, amongst other places. I wonder if I just got a bad cd? Everyone else seems to love it. Apart from the distortions I like the extra music though. I was just annoyed as I paid around 50 bucks for it on ebay.

As for the score in general, well what's not to like? It's choc full o' tunes and wonderful 40s-style orchestration. I love the homage to Korngold's "Sea Hawk" during Hooknapped.

It's Hook.

- Marc

:roll:

It's Hook.

- Marc

Ray Barnsbury-who knows this could go on for days

Hook benifits a lot from the complete boot.I find the official c.d. too dense and the boot pemits the themes to breathe a bit

K.M.

The Concorde boot is not complete.

The NERYS RECORDS 017 boot is, btw.  :music:

I like Crusher's boot. What's wrong with it, other than some channel screw-ups and sudden volume ducks here and there? I'm actually asking.

It's also very Potterish. Oh wait, Hook came first!

not at all, not at all,

Harry Potter is quite good, Hook is hook

It's also very Potterish. Oh wait, Hook came first!

not at all, not at all,

Oh yes it is, he uses the same techniques in his compositions to achieve a sense of magic.

----------------

Alex Cremers

so, he does it in all his compositions. the difference is Hook isn't magic, and Harry is.

that just proves once again you have little credibility with me, excuse me no credibility.

Hook's score is more magical, and I probably would still choose it over any of the HP scores, but HP is a magnificent work.

that just proves once again you have little credibility with me, excuse me no credibility.

I hate to bring the news, but that works both ways.

Both Hook and Potter are wonderful and magical, but I'm much more sentimentally attached to the Potter scores. I love both though.

Ray Barnsbury

Yeah, Ray, and the fact that I was a fan of the books before the movies came out made me follow the birth and growth of this musical saga much closer, and to see it fit such a woderful universe as perfectly as it does ensures that these scores have a very special place in my heart. And the POA score is the icing on the cake.

Exactly . . . no matter how good the music is of scores from the past, it's much easier and more natural to relate to something you're around to experience at the time. For me at least, and it sounds like it's the same for you.

Ray Barnsbury-expecting certain people to have a heyday with this post

I consider Hook one of John's crowning achievements, with Empire Strikes Back and Schindler's List. My collection is not big yet, but I do have the pleasure of having those three scores among others. I think I listen to Hook more than any of the others, it's just so much more magical, plus I'm a big sucker for crisp quality and I prefer happy music.

Hook is an incredible score. Exactly equal with HP&SS. Both have some weak moments with underscore, for the most part though they are flawless.

Justin - :mrgreen:

The Concorde boot is not complete.

The NERYS RECORDS 017 boot is, btw.  :mrgreen:

I like Crusher's boot. What's wrong with it, other than some channel screw-ups and sudden volume ducks here and there? I'm actually asking.

Well, you answered your own question.

Stefancos,what source did you use for the Extended Ultimate War?

K.M.

Partly the OST, partly the Concorde boot, partly Chrusher's bootleg, partly my own DVD extractions.

It's the complete version, better mixed & edited and with the volume drops severly reduced.

Objectively speaking, it's a superiour product.

Stefancos- Founder and sole stockholder of NERYS RECORDS and producer, editor, mixer and artdesigner for the NERYS RECORDS Hook bootleg.

I'll sue you if you don't give me credit for that complete Ultimte War, Steef!

-Chris, Who did a great job on that! :happybday:

PS- The Concorde boot is missing over 17 minutes of the best music. I was pissed to pay $75 on ebay for the Concorde version because I was shelling out that money for the expanded Ultimate War! RRR! BTW, Me, Steef, the missing-in-action Takis, and others have more complete versions....