Lynch's "The Straight Story"

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Straight Story is no really a ordinary "normal" movie. For if it was, many other movies would be just like it. According to Hollywood standards, The straight Story is even more of a arthouse movie than the others Lynch movies. Because unlike his others, this one is completely devoid of the trademark Lynch stuff; the spectacle, the sensation, the nightmarish tension, his typical humor. The Straight Story is just as extreme as his other movies, but it's the extreme that is found on the other end of the scale. The closest thing David Lynch ever did to a normal movie is probably The Elephant Man. Anyway, The Straight Story is worth watching. It's a ride for sure, but not of the popcorn kind.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I meant normal as in not supernatural, not weird, it's just people. He got ideas for some of the people from reading a newspaper.

I love the movie, it really drew me in the first time I saw it. A lot of people didn't like it because of the pacing of it, but I was totaly into it, and found it so fascinating. Richard Farnsworth was fantastic, the cinemtography is stunning. And I found the last scene really beautiful and poetic. There's a truth to that scene.

I knew what would happen in the end, but it still moved me to near tears when it happened.

I need to watch that movie again. I remember thinking how much I wished Richard Farnsworth had done more movies.

RIP

Richard Farnsworth was a very charismatic actor. He's been underused to the extreme. I'm glad Lynch thought of him for The Straight Story.

---------------

Alex Cremers