Happy Birthday Star Wars!

Lurker

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow 27 years. Sometimes it doesn't seem like it's been that long.

The memories of 1977 come flooding back.....to be young again.

I was 3 years old when my older brother took me during opening weekend, and though he says I loved it all (especially the Jawas), I can't remember it.

Happy Birthday!

I was.

So you saw it in theaters?

Justin

My dad says he was there on opening day. Apparently, he saw it with his siblings, and once the movie was over, they walked back into line to get tickets for the next showing, without saying a word.

I wasn't even born then.

I want that ship, not excuses.

What ship? The Millennium Falcon? My version is the 1997 rerelease.

:devil: Raksin Laura

Brian Stokes Mitchell, vocals

Los Angeles Philharmonic

John Williams

My parents took me to see Star Wars,I was 12 and I remember it was my mom who made me interested in the film by making me read the article about it in the Times.

When ESB came out that when I really got the SW fever and saw it about 10 times by myself(my friends thought it was too geeky)

K.M.

Since every thread in this forums dedicated to Star Wars are ruined, i'll ruin this one for you.

Something dead cannot have birthdays but anniversaries of its death.

LONG LIVE A NEW HOPE!

:pukeface:

Since ev`ery thread in this forums dedicated to Star Wars are ruined, i'll ruin this one for you.

Something dead cannot have birthdays but anniversaries of its death.

LONG LIVE A NEW HOPE!

:pukeface:

I also think it should be called ANH, honestly. That is the name of the episode, which follows how every other Star Wars movie is named. People refer to the episode as ANH, or Episode 4 - rarely just Star Wars.

I saw Star Wars some 27 years ago, and it changed the way I look at movie forever.

sorry disk, but A New Hope isn't 27 years old, its alot younger

I don't think people who experienced the movies at the time of release and younger people who watched them on video in a single day for the first time will ever see eye to eye on the titling issue. I for one don't give a damn.

Ray Barnsbury

I for one don't care about the title.

K.M.Wondering why Discobolus had his A.I c.d. signed by someguy named Ohn Williams

If you must "celebrate" A New Hope's birthday, we missed it. It's anniversary was 23 years ago on April 10. Not many people seem to remember that. I wonder why.

Neil

I saw Star Wars opening week in Paramus, NJ at the then RKO theatre (it was one of the "original 32" movie houses that showed it; the last time I was there, it had become some sort of Cineplex Odeon 14-plex or some other monstrosity). My dad took our family to see it, largely based on word of mouth from his colleagues as a great, must see piece of entertainment.

I remember originally not being keen on seeing it because I didn't think much about sci-fi films, much less ones with Japanese film/Saturday mantinee influences in it. Of course, Star Wars proved me wrong. And yes, I always remember it did NOT begin with "Episode IV: A New Hope."

Oh to be young again! I was going into the 6th grade when SW came out. My friends and I went to the movies every weekend in San Diego (where I still am) and watched SW throughout that summer. It was intoxicating and I was obsessed. I still have my LPs. I wish I had kept all of the SW toys, gadgets, posters and trading cards I got back then. The only things I've hung on to are the LP soundtrack and a book called "The Star Wars Album" (which I purchased at my 6th grade book fair).

It was an amazing experience with incredibly long lines of people waiting to go into the theater. It wasn't uncommon to have to wait for hours to get in.

I was made to feel my age when SWII opened, I was waiting in line talking to a MUCH younger person who asked me, "what was it like seeing Star Wars way back then."

I for one don't care about the title.

K.M.Wondering why Discobolus had his A.I c.d. signed by someguy named Ohn Williams

The J is fainter straight on but clearly visible at an angle. The scanner of course does not show this.

I just turned 3 or something, so I was probably not aware, or at least not very interested it.

My mom got me interested in Star Wars in 1979 (I believe) by buying me some action figures. R2-D2 and Luke in X-Wing Pilot outfit (who's face wasn't really Luke, so I always thought of him as just a generic jabronie pilot). Oddly, she got them so I could pretend that they were figures from "The Black Hole," which was (and still is) much beloved by me and didn't have any figures at the time (they came out shortly afterwards).

I think that I got the Star Wars storybook & record to know the basic story and some of the music, and collected the figures after that. But I became a full-fledged fan in 1980 when I saw my 1st Star Wars movie... The Empiure Strikes Back. The 1st of 11 times at the local theatres and drive-ins. I then got the 2-LP thinking it was the storybook & record set. Oddly, at the time, I was disappointed that it was just the music (LOL), but it's all history from there. To this day, ESB is my favorite in three catagories; Favorite movie, favorite original soundtrack release, and favorite complete score. What a fateful event, huh? :pukeface:

I actually didn't see Star Wars until either I went to see it at my uncle's house (because they had cable and we didn't at the time) or we saw it at the drive-in that same year ('80 or '81 re-release)? By then "Episode 4: A New Hope" was added, correct? If that's the case, I never saw the title-less "Star Wars" version, nor does it matter one way or another to me. It's still the same movie, and the secondary title is just something to help people say which one they are talking about.

Oddly, my mom, who is the feeder of my collecting addictions, got me interested in Star Wars movies/figure and John Williams soundtrack collecting. Go figure? She said that even then she knew that they'd be worth something someday. :) Funny to see that KM's mom got him into Star Wars too.

I saw it in the Seventies and I was 13 years old. I saw the 70mm version on an amazing big screen and it looked fantastic with lots of detail, color, sharpness and depth, which honestly I've not seen since they closed down the old theatres and replaced them with the new massive concrete multiplexes. The opening shot with the Star Destroyer floored everyone in the theatre room. This was definitely going to be different sh*t. And it was only the beginning. For two hours the movie warped me into another place and time. Star Wars exceeded all my expectations. Movie wise, it's one of my 3 greatest experiences in a theatre.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Perhaps because it's just the same movie with an extended title, so it fits with the rest in the series.

Which makes complete sense to encourage Lucas in his beloved series. :pukeface:

Justin

Well now that the birthday celebration is over, I guess it's time to ruin this thread. It looks like this clip is currently doing the rounds. Guess what? More changes for the DVD. This was found here.

snapz_pro_xscreensnapz001_137.jpg

snapz_pro_xscreensnapz002_192.jpg

Neil

I saw Star Wars some 27 years ago, and it changed the way I look at movie forever.

sorry disk, but A New Hope isn't 27 years old, its alot younger

Is four-five Years alot?

It is SW who unfortunately for many, died at the young age of 4-5.

:(

27 years ago today, Star Wars opened.

Could we pretend it's actually the year of 1977 and the soundtrack to Star Wars has just been released? I know everything wouldn't really work like it really was 1977 as many of you hadn't yet been born and things like computers and internet were yet far cry from us, but what if we had Internet back then and could gather here like we do today and instead of HP3 we would talk about SW? Imagine K.M.'s topic in the general forum area titled "SW -- my initial thoughts". I think that would be cool. Joe, fresh off treasuring his copy of "Jaws" vinyl, what would he think of the score to SW? just for a pretend....

...yeah, I'm daydreaming...

:(

Roman.-)

Well now that the birthday celebration is over, I guess it's time to ruin this thread.  It looks like this clip is currently doing the rounds.  Guess what?  More changes for the DVD.  This was found here.

Neil

My German's a little rusty..... :(

So basically what the site says is that Greedo still shoots first and Han has been altered via CGI???

The clip has been pulled from that site. The close up of Han saying "Yes, I'll bet you have" (or as it is in the SE just, "I'll bet you have" and here) has been removed. Instead it stays on the 2 shot the whole time. He still says the line, Greedo fires and Han jumps a little and then fires. I can't understand why all this hard work is being done to this ridiculous change.

A link to the clip can be found here in this thread.

Neil

Seems like the changes we had hoped in the Greedo/Han scene for is still a lost cause. Changing the scene to an alternate angle still does not make Han's cut off "Yes..." any smoother. They might have been better off getting Ford to loop that one line and electronically tweak it so the voice sounds younger. But Ford's pricetag would make that bit ludicrous, even if it is to lend his voice. Besides, he's always had a thumb to the nose attitude about the trilogy as it is, even when it was just Star Wars and sequels had yet to be planned for filming.