How many of us have met John Williams?

Who has met John Williams in person?  

33 members have voted

1. 1.

• I have! ME ME ME!!!
    • No, but I would make the effort to.
    • I don't feel the need to meet the greatest living composer.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I met him in the spring of 2002 in Boston. It was the by far the best moment of my life. He was very kind, he posed for pitcures with me and my fraternity (kappa kappa psi) brothers (he also happens to be an honoary member) and signed autographs for all of us. He was really flattered that we waited so long to see him, that is what impressed me. He has all this fame and was just happy that people waited to just shake his hand, say a few words, get an autograph, and a picture. What was even more impressive was that he took his time despite the fact that his bodyguard was trying to rush him to his limo.

It was an experience that I will never forget! :)

I met JW in 1996 and again in 1999. The second time, I met JW and Itzahk Perlman in the same night, both signed my Schindlers List CD.

I met him at Tanglewood in 2001 and in Chicago in 2003. And hopefully again in Aspen, 2004. :)

He was very kind, he posed for pitcures with me and my fraternity (kappa kappa psi) brothers (he also happens to be an honoary member) and signed autographs for all of us

Blatantly off-topic: Hey, a brother! AEA! I'm an alum of Alpha Theta, in the Midwest District.

I haven't met him I I don't have the need to. I'd probably say something stupid anyway.

Maestro: That must've been great getting to have both Williams and Perlman sign your cd! Awesome!

I've met Williams twice. My first, which many of you may remember, was in Boston of '02 (as posted here: <selfless promotion> http://www.johnnyecks.com/williamsconcert.htm and w/ pics here: http://www.johnnyecks.com/williamsconcertpics.htm

I also met him last year at the Pittsburgh concert in May(?) or was it June, but I only saw him and didn't get the chance to get anything autographed...plus after last time he may think that I'm a stalker! :)

I met him at the Barbican Centre in London, 1996. He signed my booklet from the Start Wars Anthology boxset, at the time THE Star Wars set to have! Of course if I'd met him a year later I'd have had him sign my SE sets! He was exhausted, but very polite. Shook my hand!!!! ;)

I came oh-so-close a couple times last year, but the times I tried to he had to refuse the fans himself or had a few security guards tell us so.

In the meanwhile, here's another "previously unpublished" (as if that means anything!) pic of him. Again, like the previous ones I posted, this was at the Kennedy Center from last year. This was when he was on his way to do the Q&A session. He came on stage a bit "unexpectedly" (everyone else was already seated -- Stanely Donen, Jon Burlingame, and Leonard Slatkin), so hence it was blurry. The blurriness was due to being startled while waiting for him to come out. ;) This is the the last of the three photos I have of him.

jw-blurry.jpg

A modest 5 times for me. I've been to concerts of his 7 straight years now, though I didnt stick around to meet him the first time, or the most recent time (last week @ Pops). Let me gloat... hehe

AEA!  A alum of Eta Rho, in the Northeast District....I know it is off topic, but I just had to. :sleepy:

Huh?

Neil

I was just responding to SeekUYoda, we are both in the same frat. I just had to respond to him on the boards before I "pm" him. That should clear it up for everyone ;)

I did, it was back in 1980-'81 time frame. JW was rehearshing for a show in the Dorthy Chandler Pavillion here in L.A.. I went with a friend of mine who owned a record store at the time. He did not want to meet JW, but I did, and even got an autograph! I just need to remember which record I stored it in. I think it is in my Superman soundtrack. I'm going to have to check it one of these days.

He conducted me and others in singing to him "Happy Birthday"... twice. One at CostCo, with Yo-Yo Ma, the other in Dorothy Chandler Pavilion with the Los Angeles Philharmonic. :sleepy:

The one at CostCo felt more intimate ;) because there weren't as many people as in the concert.

Does that count for anything? ;)

Of all places, I met him at a Costco Warehouse in Los Angeles!

He and Yo-Yo Ma were promoting the American Whatsit CD and Sony Classical managed to get them both there. It was about two days after John's 70th birthday and when he arrived a few people in the line started singing "Happy Birthday" and soon everyone was joining in. It brought a smile to his face.

John signed three items for me, which included albums of Star Wars and Dracula. I was pretty near the front of the line and despite very little time having passed for him, he was surprisingly unfriendly -- unlike Yo-Yo Ma, who couldn't have been nicer. It was a miracle I got to shake his hand and have a photo taken with him. Who knows, maybe signing autographs at a discount warehouse rubs him the wrong way. I am a grateful admirer, nonetheless.

Thornhill, I assume you and Hector were in the same store at the same time!

I did, it was back in 1980-'81 time frame. JW was rehearshing for a show in the Dorthy Chandler Pavillion here in L.A.. I went with a friend of mine who owned a record store at the time. He did not want to meet JW, but I did, and even got an autograph! I just need to remember which record I stored it in. I think it is in my Superman soundtrack. I'm going to have to check it one of these days.

Wow Saabster! You met the great man in his Golden age of film-scoring! Now that IS impressive! Was he glowing with a mystic aura at the time? There must be some explanation for the phenomenal quality of his work between 1975 and 1982!

I was just responding to SeekUYoda, we are both in the same frat.  I just had to respond to him on the boards before I "pm" him.  That should clear it up for everyone :music:

LOL Hahaha, I've fooled you all! I'm a "her", not a "him" - it's a coed frat, so women are allowed.

No, that can't be it, because in my other photo with him he's definitely not smiling. He liked the tiny digital camera with which the picture was taken (Casio Exlim) - perhaps that's it? Or he was smiling in anticipation of the thought of getting away from the fams to go drink with Dale Clevenger?

Great pic! I'm assuming you were at the Horn Concerto premiere?

Ray Barnsbury-who has no problems with his own Williams pic, though people keep jabbing at it

I met him at the 20th Anniversary Premiere of E.T. in L.A. at the after party. He did not stay long as several people were crowding his table and not allowing him to talk with his friends. He was very polite as I told him that his music inspired me and that I was now studying composition, hoping to do film one day. He "gave me his blessing" so to speak and then put his arm around my shoulder for a photo (that did not turn out due to darkness!! damn my photographer!!). I'm not bitter, really. I also saw him in concert at the Horn Concerto Premiere in Chicago. I'm planning on a trip to the concerts in D.C. next year.

I came oh-so-close a couple times last year, but the times I tried to he had to refuse the fans himself or had a few security guards tell us so.

In the meanwhile, here's another "previously unpublished" (as if that means anything!) pic of him.  Again, like the previous ones I posted, this was at the Kennedy Center from last year.  This was when he was on his way to do the Q&A session.  He came on stage a bit "unexpectedly" (everyone else was already seated -- Stanely Donen, Jon Burlingame, and Leonard Slatkin), so hence it was blurry.  The blurriness was due to being startled while waiting for him to come out.  :wave:  This is the the last of the three photos I have of him.  

jw-blurry.jpg

Is that a digital photo or film?

I've tried to meet Williams three times now, after three different Tanglewood concerts, and all failed.

Of all places, I met him at a Costco Warehouse in Los Angeles!  

...he was surprisingly unfriendly   It was a miracle I got to shake his hand and have a photo taken with him.  Who knows, maybe signing autographs at a discount warehouse rubs him the wrong way..

It's because you were probably behind Weebo,who tried to get his A.I. promo signed that day.

K.M.