POA on IMAX

scallenger

As most people know, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in premiering on the giant IMAX screens on the same day as on regular ones. Is it true that when they put movies as long as HP on the IMAX that they have to cut out parts to fit it on a reel? If so, I wonder how much they have to cut out, because I want to see it on IMAX first before I go to the regular theatre and I want to know if I am seeing the entire film or a shortened version.

Is that the right way to go? See a shortened version first on a GIANT screen and then see the full version on the regular one? Or should it be the other way around?

Either way, its gonna be bitchin' on a giant IMAX screen even if it is condensed.

What should I do, and am I right about them breaking it down for IMAX you think?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm seeing the normal version first, which is what I would recommend for you to do, if you're asking for advice. As far as cutting the film for IMAX, I have no idea.

Ray Barnsbury

Attack of the Clones was considerably shortened for IMAX,but it was a unique square aspct ratio,Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions were not shortened I think.

2h19 min,is that regular release time?

http://www.movietickets.com/movie_detail.a...?movie_id=45204

K.M.

The IMAX versions no longer have to be edited. If you see this, could you let me know if the screen is square or if this is being shown in widescreen in the IMAX venues.

Neil

could you let me know if the screen is square or if this is being shown in widescreen in the IMAX venues.

I deciced to forgo the midnight showing at the nearest theater to me so I can see POA in the IMAX about 45 mins away around 7:00 pm later today. I'm a big advocate for widescreen (and the death of pan-and-scan) but even if the picture is cropped for the IMAX release, I'm going for the SOUND. Because dear lord: the speakers are INCREADIBLE and I can't wait to hear the newest JW score THAT LOUD. :music: Seeing the last 2 Matrix films there was absolutely amazing.

So yeah, I'm sure someone will get to this before I do, but if not, I'll post when I get back how it was and if the picture was cropped. ;)

-Matt

I'll be seeing POA in IMAX as well. I'm anxious to see what Aspect Ratio will be used.

AOTC was cropped but Matrix was kept 2.35.

Does anyone know if Cuaron filmed POA in anamorphic or Super 35? The previous films were super-35 and therefore can be opened up without losing too much. Anamorphic has a better picture quality, though. However, effects are often done in 2.35 only so they would get chopped. We'll see what they decided to do...

Does anyone know if Cuaron filmed POA in anamorphic or Super 35? The previous films were super-35 and therefore can be opened up without losing too much. Anamorphic has a better picture quality, though. However, effects are often done in 2.35 only so they would get chopped. We'll see what they decided to do...

It was shot in Super-35, which is why a mic was visible in the first teaser. It will be properly cropped out on the anamorphic prints. The effects on the Harry Potter films are not panned and scanned either. I have the full screen Philosopher's Stone and the Quidditch match is actually easier to follow on that version with the extra space shown.

Neil

There was shot of Hermione by the pumpkins with the camera moving in on her. I know I posted a photo of it, but I'm not sure where it is now.

Neil

OH there was a boom mic screw up?  

Damn! I would love to see that.

It's probably in the main POA thread.

Wish I knew where it was in that thread. I tried looking through the last fe pages but could not spot it.

Well just saw it on IMAX (and it was GREAT film) and I think that it was cropped from it widescreen original ratio. still it was VERY good the way it was and I will see the regular theatre version tomorrow.

Was it a square?

Nope. Definetely in widescreen. I can't testify to whether it was exactly the same as the normal theatrical cut as I haven't seen it yet, but on a 5 story tall by 7 story wide screen, it probably used up a good 3 of t he stories tall and the full width. ;)

Quidditch will never be the same to me without the IMAX screen. It was increadible.

-Matt

Of course he should, it's still funny that someone obsesses over a mic that's in the teaser for a split second.

I don't think IMAX is such a good way to expreience a movie for the first time. A horror movie, yes, and a movie with not too many details- but a rich and coloful movie, I think you miss a lot. Signs was great in IMAX. AoTC was not. (It's irrelevent whether or not the movie is good).

Well,it feels like I've seen this film already.

It will open to Hedwig's Theme and the camera will pan through the WB logo into Harry's room and he will be playing with his wand under the cover trying to light up a book.then Aunt Marge will come to dinner,Harry will look all angry and the lights start to flicker,then she will start inflating,float to the cielling and then out the backyard window and float away in the sky while Aunt Marge Waltz is playing.Then he'll run out of the house with a pully suitcase and the knight bus will almost run over him,he'll get in and there will be a frantic ride to the leaky cauldon while The Knight Bus plays(seen most of that scene in previews).Then he'll hear about Sirius Black,then he'll board the ....

K.M.

Isn;t the job of a projectionist nearly outdated? I thought most theatres had their systems setup so that one is barely needed except in the unlikely event something breaks down making the projectionist more of a maintenance guy. Used to be these guys had to be there to flip reels and such, but as the threatres movie more and more towards digital screening technology it makes that unneccesary.

Just what I've been hearing anyway.

Isn;t the job of a projectionist nearly outdated? I thought most theatres had their systems setup so that one is barely needed except in the unlikely event something breaks down making the projectionist more of a maintenance guy. Used to be these guys had to be there to flip reels and such, but as the threatres movie more and more towards digital screening technology it makes that unneccesary.

Now, what would you trust, things you've been hearing, or things reported from someone who actually does the work?

Neil

Well, the man has me there.

So just for the record Neil. What is a projectionist called upon to do most? Maintain the camera? Fix technical difficulties?

I was just wondering how the job has changed in recent years.

What is a projectionist called upon to do most?

Properly exhibit motion pictures.

Maintain the camera?

Projectionists are concerned only with projectors. There is a lot of maintenance involved. Projectors need to be cleaned reguarly and hopefully kept pristine. One mistake and you can have a sub par presentation or worse, a wrecked print.

Fix technical difficulties?

When the situation arises, yes.

I was just wondering how the job has changed in recent years.

Well with the advent of the platter system and the multi-plex, one projector per screen is all that is necessary. If you've seen Fight Club they actually explain how the 2 projector system works. What I do is "build" the movies (assemble all of the reels together along with all of the trailers into one massive print). This way a projectionist doesn't have to change reels every 20 minutes during a movie using 2 porjectors. The platter system is convenient, but it has it's own share of problems. The film goes through a very rigorous path, and one bad roller can scratch a movie. The 2 projector system is more labor intensive, but it's also much easier on the movie.

Neil

Damn! That was very informative. Thanks!

Seems like the system hasn't changed as much as I thought it had.

I remember reading all this stuff from that Lucas guy about how everything was going to be digital soon and projectionist's would be outmoded. I had read other articles which mentioned things to that effect, but nothing like the hype coming from Lucas.

He made it sound like we were going to be watching movies without film at all in a matter of a few years.

The man seems to be obsessed with everything digital.

We won't see digital becoming the standard for a long while, since it's not backwards usable.

Digital projectors can only play digital film, meaning older film cannot be played anymore, unless they are converted into this digital format, which of course can be expensive.

Neil you know anythinbg about the new projection system were the film is not transported on rollers but either air, or a magnetic system (like a monorail) I forgot which one it was.

This system can play old prints and causes no damage to the film at all, since it does not come in contact with any part of the projector.

I saw a documentry on how say 50 years ago projectionists had more to do that could increase the experience for the audience. Pick newsreels or cartoons etc and more, gave more attention to focusing the camera and the condition of the prints.

gave more attention to focusing the camera

I didn't realize projectionists had anything to do with the original photography.

Neil

gave more attention to focusing the camera

I didn't realize projectionists had anything to do with the original photography.

Neil

What you don't know about projectionists...

Projectionists should sit up looking out from that little window behind the seats with a 3006 Rifle and snipe any body that has a cell phone.

Justin -Who was stricken by cell phone mania during his viewing of POA.

Neil-

Do you have to be there to change the lenses during trailers between flat and anamorphic or is it done automatically?

I almost felt like getting the projectionist at a local theatre (Cinema Guzzo - barf) fired when he showed a flat trailer with an anamorphic lens. You can just imagine what that looked like...

Since then I always go to a THX-certified theatre downtown Montreal (Famous Players Paramount) where such errors would never be tolerated.

I make certain that when I build a movie, every trailer shown is in the correct aspect ratio. Anything else would be embarassing.

Neil

Or people with small children.  ;)  banghead  :P  

Ray Barnsbury

Believe it or not someone brought a FRIGGEN BABY at the showing I just attended,IN A CARRIAGE!Luckily I did not hear it.

K.M.

Or people with small children.  ;)  banghead  ROTFLMAO  

Ray Barnsbury

Believe it or not someone brought a FRIGGEN BABY at the showing I just attended,IN A CARRIAGE!Luckily I did not hear it.

K.M.

You could try doing Avada Kedavra on it. :P

Oh wait...

Yeah, the scene with Lupin scolding Harry, one of the most affecting, was completely ruined during my second viewing. It took probably five to seven minutes for the mom to take the whining kid out, which is a long time in a movie. I was just furious. There's no reason I can fathom to take a child so young to a movie . . . they won't enjoy or comprehend it, they won't remember it, and they cannot understand to shut the hell up. Sadly, it's the idiot parents' fault, not the child's. Find a sitter or stay home.

Ray Barnsbury

Also,a baby in one of the castle portraits starts crying after they find the fat lady picture scratched up,just in case you start looking around in the theater.

K.M.

Fine projector instead of camera then. :)

BTW how much does a projectionist job pay?

"Jack" and "s**t". I do it because I enjoy it. It does pay for my internet though. :thumbup:

Neil

OH yeah Neil here is a good question I've always wondered about and since you're probably the expert on stuff like this now would be a good time to ask:

I've noticed in certain movies the boom mic falls into frame, much like in that pic you posted above. Some folks have told me when this happens it is the projectionists fault. While some others say it is the fault of the filmakers particularly the guy in charge of the cinematography.

Which is true? Or is it somewhere in between? If this sort of situation occurs in a print you get can it be easily corrected?

Most people usually blame the filmakers for the falling boom mics, but I wonder if sometimes the projectionist just messed up.