PoA - Themes and motives

ChrisAfonso

I think this one is a required thread, and since nobody opened one yet, I will.

(The multitude of PoA threads, as opposed to one film thread and one score thread that would seem logical, has me confused where to put what comments, so I think if it's already spread out like that, this thread having a very precise topic description can't hurt :))

So, this is the place to post your observations on what themes/motives you recognize in the score, and what they represent. As I don't have much time right now, I'll leave the most obvious stuff for later (or for someone else) and begin with this one:

Sirius's motive / Grim motive

I'm not exactly sure how to classify it, but it appears in several scenes involving Sirius (still being considered the villain - I don't recall this motive after the Shack scene), like during a close-in on his face in a newspaper, or the Grim (example: Harry sees the Grim shaped cloud during the Quidditch match <- a version of this one is on the CD)

So Sirius seems indeed to have a motive, unlike some earlier observations, just that it doesn't seem to be very usable for him in future films due to it's "wicked" (;)) nature.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, clear that everlasting question up for me now: Is the english term "motive" or "motif"? I thought the last one was French.

I think it's Motif. That's how I always spell it.

Justin -Who has been known to not spell words correctly.

The multitude of PoA threads, as opposed to one film thread and one score thread that would seem logical, has me confused where to put what comments, so I think if it's already spread out like that, this thread having a very precise topic description can't hurt 8O

Since this is a John Williams board and we are discussing a John Williams score in a new movie, I don't mind multiple threads. Does anyone?

Neil

I don't for the heck of it, just that several discussed topics are spread illogically over several threads, which makes some specific posts I remember having read difficult to find (e.g. the "Winter's Spell" discussion is not in the "Score in the movie" thread as one would imagine, but in the "I've seen PoA" thread. What I complain about is the incoherence of thread titles and content.)

I think this one is a required thread, and since nobody opened one yet, I will.  

(The multitude of PoA threads, as opposed to one film thread and one score thread that would seem logical, has me confused where to put what comments, so I think if it's already spread out like that, this thread having a very precise topic description can't hurt 8O)

this is the most in-dept we have ever gone into a Williams score since The Phantom Menace.Must mean something....We only had a few threads for Minority Report,CoS and CMIYC,and those three combined were dominated by Lord of the Rings discussions.

K.M.

Does anyone else hear A Winter's Spell being sung in the background when the trio is in Hogsmeade? It's definetely there. It almost sound like the terrible X-mas song that was in the first album's Christmas at Hogwarts track, but it sounds like it's much more jumpy. It sounded terribly intigueing and I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed it. *sigh* :?

Does anyone else hear A Winter's Spell being sung in the background when the trio is in Hogsmeade? It's definetely there. It almost sound like the terrible X-mas song that was in the first album's Christmas at Hogwarts track, but it sounds like it's much more jumpy. It sounded terribly intigueing and I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed it. *sigh* :?

Yes i heard it. My attention was completely drawn away from the film in that scene.

Unless I'm very wrong, the Pettigrew motif can be heard at the beginning of Quidditch, Third Year. It's also the very last thing heard in the movie, after the credits.

I don't for the heck of it, just that several discussed topics are spread illogically over several threads, which makes some specific posts I remember having read difficult to find (e.g. the "Winter's Spell" discussion is not in the "Score in the movie" thread as one would imagine, but in the "I've seen PoA" thread. What I complain about is the incoherence of thread titles and content.)

Agreed.

Marian - who had to use the search function yesterday to find that thread.

Update on the Sirius motif: It can be heard twice in succession in Quidditch, first muted then more prominent. And it's also hinted at in The Knight Bus, during the dark passage near the end (should be the part where Harry learns about him).

Oh, and in fact, the thing right at the beginning of Quidditch is a hint at the Sirius motif as well it seems, just with Pettigrew orchestration. 8O

Marian - trying to find it elsewhere.

Well, I AM very wrong...the Pettigrew motif is NOT there.

It is.I didn't read Takis analysis yet,ut.

Black's motif(4 note motif),Appears in :

-Mr.Weasly warns Harry of Sirius Black

-The students gather aroun the newspaper in the great hall

-Sirius reveals himself

Pettigrews Motif(9 note harpsichord motif):

-Harry listens in the 3 broomstick

-Harry crosses Pettigrew in the castle corridor at night

-After Scabbers changes into Pettigrew

K.M.

-Sirius reveals himself  

Also, when Harry sees the Grim in the sky.

Also when Pettigrew re-transforms and escapes

Ray Barnsbury

Well, with "not there", I meant not there in the Quidditch track.

-Sirius reveals himself  

-when Harry sees the Grim in the sky.

Probably also when Harry sees the newspaper in the Knight Bus, since the motif shows up in that track

-when Pettigrew re-transforms and escapes

Also at the end of the credits

Marian - adding.

I fell so sorry for you Merkel,your beeing left out sort of.Maybe you should contact Morn,i bet he can let you see the film.

K.M.

I want to see this film.

This is so unfair. still a a month a and half to go.

Didn't it already open in Europe?

What did Portugal get screwed on the release date?

Didn't it already open in Europe?

It did, actually. But you have to keep in mind that Europe consists of several independent countries that don't share the playing times at all so with each country it actually IS different. Here where I live (look below my avatar) the movie opens this weekend, and I'm seeing it the week after. Still, 10 days to go or so, so the wait reaůly eats me.