Defeating "Copy protected" CDs

MistaMusic

I know some of you may have your own ways of getting around the copy protection, but I just read a laughably easy way to defeat Sony's protection. All you need is a 99 cent felt tip marker...yup. Apparently scribbling around the rim of the disk will disable the protection. Here's the article from Yahoo:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor..._cd_piracy_dc_1

It's sad to think how much money Sony spent to create this protection just to see it scribbled away with a marker. :music:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not that I don't like it, just for some reason, whenever I go there it locks up my computer. I used to visit it all the time. Now I haven't been there in months. Just the other day when they had the exclusive teaser for Die Another Day I couldn't access it. Very frustrating.

Neil

here's the highlights:

------------------------------------------------------

LONDON (Reuters) - Technology buffs have cracked music publishing giant Sony Music's elaborate disc copy-protection technology with a decidedly low-tech method: scribbling around the rim of a disk with a felt-tip marker.

Internet newsgroups have been circulating news of the discovery for the past week, and in typical newsgroup style, users have pilloried Sony for deploying "hi-tech" copy protection that can be defeated by paying a visit to a stationery store.

"I wonder what type of copy protection will come next?" one posting on alt.music.prince read. "Maybe they'll ban markers."

Sony did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

Monday, Reuters obtained an ordinary copy of Celine Dion (news - web sites)'s newest release "A New Day Has Come," which comes embedded with Sony's "Key2Audio" technology.

After an initial attempt to play the disc on a PC resulted in failure, the edge of the shiny side of the disc was blackened out with a felt tip marker. The second attempt with the marked-up CD played and copied to the hard drive without a hitch.

Internet postings claim that tape or even a sticky note can also be used to cover the security track, typically located on the outer rim of the disc. And there are suggestions that copy protection schemes used by other music labels can also be circumvented in a similar way.

-------------------------------------------------------

the rest of the article just explains how the protection works (adding bogus data, etc.)

ARR!! Mate we're marauding pirates!!!

Justin - LOL :music: ROTFL

P.S. Will the CD still play if you scibble all over it with a marker? :dontgetit:

I've read about another more easy way:

Just type in your MS-Dos-Window "E:" or whatever Letter your CD-Drive has, and press enter to activate this command just a half second or so before the CD is in your PC. If it does not work at the first time, be patient and try it again, to find out when exactly you have to activate the "E:"-command, while the CD comes in your PC, in the MS-dos-window.

Regards

Markuz

It works fine for many people.

Morn - Wondering if Markuz method really works and if so how

Well, it worked for my Copy-protected CD and for the ones of at last 2 others I know, too.... You just have to catch the right moment;)