HP: Prisoner of Azkaban Complete Cue List & Analysis

Jay

You forgot "A Winter's Spell". I've seen the movie only once, last night, but I'm positive it's the Christmas Carol that the dwarve-creatures were singing in Hogsmeade. You know, Harry knocks them all over when he goes to have his sook.

Oh, and sorry if Winter's Spell was identified/listed already, just that last time I checked nobody could find it in the movie.

Hey could you check this for me Jason:

In "The Dementors Converge 1",the chorus segment where there's a brass rendition of the Past theme on the Album Version (from 1:52 to 2:08 more specifically) is dialed out of the Film Version.

SO, is it possible that the chorus/brass Past theme heard in the film cue "The Dementor Test 2" is in fact edited into the album in "The Dementors Converge" track?

K.M.Who thinks he solved another "Secrets of the Album"

No KM, in the scene where Harry first conjures the Patronus, the past theme is blared on horn (and trumpet I think). In "The Dementors Converge" on the album, it's played on solo horn much more subdued. I do wish it was more grand; after the great version when Harry casts his first Patronus, it feels like we should get a continuation of that, something even bigger later in the film. But it does work very well the way it is.

Ray Barnsbury

;)

But I thought so,it was much more goosebumpy in Dementor Test,but just in case it was a sound mix issue or something I thought I'd ask.

K.M.

Yea, A Winter's Spell plays in the movie after "The Snowball Fight" (And then comes back to overlap some of "Harry's Vow"). I dunno if I mentioned, but I didn't bother tracking any source music. However, I did mention that I plan on transcribing the lyrics to A Winter's Spell sometime this weekend, and I still do...

And I'll check out the stuff you are talking about King Mark...

Not "More music", but "ALL music".

And lets hope for no crappy dialogue in cues...

Well that was my point obviously. I mean there should be more than enough room on a 2nd CD release for the remaining music from each film.

I don't think it would all fit on one c.d.

Ps has about 40 minutes of extra music,if not more

CoS about 25 minutes

PoA 41 minutes.

But if were not going to get double c.d's I'd settle for a "More Music from HP c.d."As long as they give us all the remaining important cues.

K.M.

True,now it's eazy to assemble it in chronological order on a PC.They don't have to re-release the music on the OST.

K.M.

I really hope we get this via a "2nd CD release" option. I dont want to have to pay all that money to buy a "2 CD complete score release" for each film which forces you to pay for music you already own.

I'd rather have a nice-looking complete album than two half-complete ones with one self-burned complete which has no booklet and possibly still has edits in cues which were on the first album, but incomplete.

Marian - who doesn't have any "more music from" albums.

:) Naqoyqatsi (Philip Glass)

True,now it's eazy to assemble it in chronological order on a PC.They don't have to re-release the music on the OST.

Trust me, thats not always true. I tried making myself a chronological POA cd, and its pretty much impossible to cut tracks 12 and 14 (for example) in half and still make it sound good. Some tracks (9 and 12 for example) split in half just fine, but thats the exception not the rule.

Yeah,because they already crossfade the cues and it's impossible to fix.Id rather have a complete 2 c.d. or proper album expanded,but by defaulkt i'd like a "more music from" c.d. rather than nothing at all.

K.M.

I'd rather have a nice-looking complete album than two half-complete ones with one self-burned complete which has no booklet and possibly still has edits in cues which were on the first album, but incomplete.  

Definitely. The SW SE's, Superman, Fury, Home Alone 2, etc treatment would be wonderful for the Potter scores, as many others have mentioned. I would gladly spend money on such a set. So what if it contains music we already have? That's completeness.

Ray Barnsbury

Just wanted to thank Ricard if you're reading this for putting this info on the main page

I feel like, special or something

Definitely. The SW SE's, Superman, Fury, Home Alone 2, etc treatment would be wonderful for the Potter scores, as many others have mentioned. I would gladly spend money on such a set. So what if it contains music we already have? That's completeness.

Ray Barnsbury

Completeness is also getting the rest of the music on another CD.

Definitely, and I'd of course rather have that than nothing at all. I'm just saying that complete 2-CD releases would be ideal.

Ray Barnsbury

This analysis was truly wonderful and helpful. Many thanks! You have do a great job (not to mention huge work on this).

I have been listening to the soundtrack for a good 3 weeks now and I wonder why nobody ever mentions the obvious quote of Double Trouble theme on the percussion at the beginning of the Buckbeaks flight. From the first time I heard it it sounded like DT and the more I listen to it the more the percussion sounds like DT.

Thanks Incanus.

Thats interesting about the percussion in Buckbeak's Flight being the DT theme... I'll have to listen more closely and check it out.

Hey all,

I got a new bootleg, and it has PERFECT sound.... I'm talking perfect. Anyway, I've discovered a few new things:

1. Part of "A Walk in the Woods / Winter" IS on the soundtrack! The first 8 seconds of the cue are unreleased, but then Track 7, "A Window to the Past", from 2:28-3:26 is the next part of the cue. The album frustratingly segues to a different cue (that I haven't figured out what it is yet) JUST BEFORE Hedwig's Theme comes in for a brilliant passage that blends Hedwig's Theme back into the Past Theme (one of the highlights of the unreleased material). Anyway, now I just need to figure out what 0:00-2:28 and 3:26-end of track 7 on the album is!

2. There's a 4note theme that plays in both "Mr. Weasley Warns Harry" and "Honeydukes / The Shrieking Shack"

3. I swear I heard the B theme part of Double Trouble (The part that lines up with the words "Something wicked this way comes") in one of the unreleased cues in the second half of the movie, but I can't find it again now.

4. Double Trouble definitely plays starting at 1:09 of "Quidditch, Third Year" like John Takis said.

5. Hedwig's Theme plays at the end of "Harry and Sirius", under the lines "But if you ever wanted a different home...." "Wha-Can I live with you?"

6. There's a sort of mini-theme for the dementors. You can hear it at the very beginning of "Apparition on the Train" and "The Dementor's Converge" on the album. I didn't hear it anywhere else in the film though.

7. I'm not sure there's a Sirius Theme after all. In the cue "Sirius Black Sighting", what I thought was the theme goes "BUM BUM BUM". In "Quidditch Third Year", when Harry sees the Grim it goes "bum bum BUUUUUM, bum". In "Finding Ron", when Sirius reveals himself it goes "bum bum BUUUUUM". So first its 3 notes, then its 4 notes, then its 3 notes again.... and the second 3 note theme is not the same as the first 3 note theme (although it is the same as the first 3 notes of the 4 note theme). So I'm not sure its a theme for Sirius or just 3 passages that sound coincidentally the same.

8. Incannus, the percussion in BB's Flight doesn't sound anything like the DT theme to me.

9. King Mark, the unreleased music for Harry's first Patronus is definitely not tracked into the "Dementor's Converge" track. Ray Barnsbury summed it up.

10. A Winter's Spell is just too damn quiet for me to transcribe any lyrics. I'll have to post an mp3 somewhere so maybe somebody with better ears can.

1. Part of "A Walk in the Woods / Winter" IS on the soundtrack! The first 8 seconds of the cue are unreleased, but then Track 7, "A Window to the Past", from 2:28-3:26 is the next part of the cue. The album frustratingly segues to a different cue (that I haven't figured out what it is yet) JUST BEFORE Hagrid's Theme comes in for a brilliant passage that blends Hagrid's Theme back into the Past Theme (one of the highlights of the unreleased material). Anyway, now I just need to figure out what 0:00-2:28 and 3:26-end of track 7 on the album is!

Hagrid's Theme or Hedwig's Theme? Does Hagrid have a theme?

Definitely, and I'd of course rather have that than nothing at all.  I'm just saying that complete 2-CD releases would be ideal.

Ray Barnsbury

No it wouldn't! We would have to pay extra money for both CDs. That would suck!

Just give us 2 CDs that contain all the music left off the first two albums. That will more than suffice.

7. I'm not sure there's a Sirius Theme after all.  In the cue "Sirius Black Sighting", what I thought was the theme goes "BUM BUM BUM".  In "Quidditch Third Year", when Harry sees the Grim it goes "bum bum BUUUUUM, bum".  In "Finding Ron", when Sirius reveals himself it goes "bum bum BUUUUUM".  So first its 3 notes, then its 4 notes, then its 3 notes again.... and the second 3 note theme is not the same as the first 3 note theme (although it is the same as the first 3 notes of the 4 note theme).    So I'm not sure its a theme for Sirius or just 3 passages that sound coincidentally the same.

I always thought it's 3 notes...I think the version in the Knight Bus cue is only 3 notes long. So I figured the bit in Quidditch is just a variation with a fourth note added at the beginning.

Marian - also wondering about that Hagrid theme?

John needs to properly define all his themes.

I hate listening to a score and hearing themes within a track and there is no indication of what this theme is supposed to be for.

Hagrid's Theme or Hedwig's Theme? Does Hagrid have a theme?

HAHA, woops, mega-typo on my part! I meant Hedwig's Theme of course. That's what I get for trying to think clearly at 2am.

As far as I know, there's never been a theme for Hagrid.

I always thought it's 3 notes...I think the version in the Knight Bus cue is only 3 notes long. So I figured the bit in Quidditch is just a variation with a fourth note added at the beginning.

I still don't hear Sirius's Theme in the Knight Bus track...

As far as I know, there's never been a theme for Hagrid.

Which I think is quite a shame and I would welcome Hagrid character having it's own motif. perhaps he's deserving of one more than, say, professor Lockhart... a theme for Hagrid could be comic in nature.

Sorry but I have disagree with you on the DT appearing in the beginning of the Buckbeaks Flight. The percussion state a roughly same rhythm as DT though there is a slight difference and the tempo is little faster. It could be DT but it can't be known for sure. I hope they would release complete Harry Potter scores in the future along with precise analysis. It's frustrating to have to guess the themes and motifs if they are not clear enough in the film.

I still don't hear Sirius's Theme in the Knight Bus track...

I really hesitate to call this a "theme" at all. It's only three notes.

Yea I'm not sure its a theme any more either.

I'll be updating the 3 main posts in this thread as soon as I can (probably Sunday) with all the new info I've discovered.

I really hesitate to call this a "theme" at all. It's only three notes.

The shark had only two notes.... :(

In the Knight Bus, the motif appears at 2:11 (all four notes, actually).

Marian - who still thinks it makes sense.

HAHA, woops, mega-typo on my part! I meant Hedwig's Theme of course. That's what I get for trying to think clearly at 2am.

K.

I found that cue to be very predictable. I could tell the Past Theme was going to play when the camera centered on Harry.

This is actually not a bad thing.

I just made another discovery! The theme that plays at 2:11 of track 3 (The Knight Bus).... it's not the same "Sirius's Theme" that I've been talking about.... however, it IS the 4-note theme that I mentioned plays in "Mr. Weasley Warns Harry" and "Honeydukes / The Shrieking Shack" !

Also, the theme that plays at the very beginning of "Apparition on the Train" and "The Dementors Converge" on the CD is not a dementors theme.... It also plays in "The Knight Bus part 2" and "Peter Pettigrew".... maybe its some kind of "danger theme"?

So, to sum up:

Theme 1: 4 note theme (BUM, bum bum bum)

• plays in "The Knight Bus part2" (just after the line "He's a murderer...", 2:11 on the cd)
  • plays in "Mr Weasley Warns Harry" (repeats over and over again in the first half of the cue while talking about Sirius Black. The second half of the cue, when Mr Weasley talks about how he will help Voldemort return to power, repeats this theme and Peter's theme over and over again)
  • plays in "Honeydukes / The Shrieking Shack" (It and Peter's theme both play over and over again as Harry arrives in the Honeydukes basement. Then, they both play at the same time again as Harry leaves Honeydukes and the film cuts to Ron and Hermione in front of the Shrieking Shack).

Theme 2: 3 note theme (bum bum BUM)

• plays in "Sirius Black Sighting" (as the film cuts from the closeup of Sirius in the newspaper to the dementors floating around outside Hogwarts)
  • plays in "Quidditch, Third Year" (as Harry sees the Grim in the clouds, 1:30 on the cd)
  • plays in "Finding Ron" (as Sirius reveals himself behind the door)

Theme 3: Not really a note-based theme, I don't know how to describe it but its more like similar music being used a few times:

• plays in "The Knight Bus part2" (under Stanley's lines "Thats the question isn't it? He's the first one that done it! He was a big supporter of "You-Know-Who", not on album version of cue)
  • plays in "Apparition on the Train" (as the lights go out and Ron looks out the window, the very beginning of the cd track)
  • plays in "Peter Pettigew" (Harry wakes up the paintings in the dungeon an again as he see's Peter is heading towards him on the map)
  • plays in "The Dementor's Converge" (the lake freezes, the very beginning of the cd track)

I'm truly at a loss at the moment to name those 3 themes or decide what they represent so anybody care to help out?

http://www.sugarquill.net/forum/index.php?...p?showtopic=814

Here is a thread about John Williams at a Harry Potter forum. it's interesting to see these perspectives. I recommend reading it through - it starts in May 2002 up to now.

Some snippets, taken completely at random:

Ironically, while writing this post, I'm listening to the love theme to Han Solo and the Princess.

For those who are familier doesnt "A Window to the past" sound very

Final Fantasyish?

Yeah, it had this Video Game feel that I knew may not have sounded right in a movie

The music was kind of Celtic and mediaeval, and it really didn't seem like Williams. There were very few songs that I actually liked. The one with the clock ticking (can't remember the name at the present) was really cool, and so was Double Trouble, but that was about it. Definitely a movie soundtrack: doesn't sound good alone.

I have always liked John Williams, even though he can get repetitive at times.

The thing I personally hate about the film, even more than Harris as Dumbledore or little things in the Kloves script, is the MUSIC. I feel it is both uninspired and overwhelming. My vote for future Potter movie scores goes to John Barry (who has already done fantasy with Alice's Adventure's in Wonderland) or Vangelis (who with his new "Mythodea" album proves that he can do classical as well as electronic.)

i agree here and what was relly annoying was they used it all the time to cover up the not so good stuff.

Great composer, sure, but good film score composer? Nope. When will he learn that intrusive scores aren't the way to go?

Maybe I have no business in saying this as I have NO musical talent, but I like the musical scores he has done. The music sticks with me, and I remember the themes.

Better John Williams than, say, "All Star" by Smashmouth, which apparently found itself into every movie made between 1999 and 2001, including Shrek, Digimon, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and Princess Mononoke.

He actually did the movie some good, I believe, in giving it a theme. <---- ROTFLMAO

Hmm. I'd rather have a "boring" score than a loud, bombastic, intrusive score, which is what John Williams has done most of his career.

i think one of the problems with the hp music is its all mashed together no beging or end.

It's as if Columbus turned on the "All JW, All The Time" radio station and expected it to somehow all fit into the movie. Instead what you get is something that comes off as a dry Hollywood production, which, unfortunatley, is what many a movie with a John Williams score comes off as.

*swallows anger, unsuccessfully*

I hate the ignorance of some people.

Great composer, sure, but good film score composer? Nope. When will he learn that intrusive scores aren't the way to go?

This is what made me laught the most. How can he be a good composer but not a good film score composer? Especially when the vast majority of his works have been film scores?

This isn't the first time I've been angered by an idiotic Harry potter fan. A few hours ago my blood was boiling when I was debating about the new movie. At least three people in the discussion are Australian (myself included) and some idiot said "didn't Australians originate from a colony of convicts? Just wondering". Then I went crazy, he started talking about how we originated from Neanderthals (Aborigines) and "vicious. demented criminals". Sure, vicious and demented to a loaf of bread. Because that's all they were guilty of stealing. *twitches with anger*

I just made another discovery!  The theme that plays at 2:11 of track 3 (The Knight Bus).... it's not the same "Sirius's Theme" that I've been talking about.... however, it IS the 4-note theme that I mentioned plays in "Mr. Weasley Warns Harry" and "Honeydukes / The Shrieking Shack" !

Begging to differ, I still believe it's meant to be the same theme:

Knight Bus: DAH -- DAH-DAH-DEE

Quidditch Beginning: DAH-DAH-DEE -- DAH-DAH.....

Quidditch Grim: DAH -- DAH-DAH-DEE

They might not be the same, but at least extremely similar. The bit written in italics is sometimes left off (e.g. beginning of Quidditch).

Marian - hoping he transcribed these correctly from memory. ROTFLMAO

You really want to know what pre-teens think about JW?

K.M.

Yeah. Anyone remember the guy a couple of years ago who said "Williams' score was good, but they should've put in some Merilyn Manson there, to express the teen anguish" LOL

The thing I personally hate about the film, even more than Harris as Dumbledore or little things in the Kloves script, is the MUSIC. I feel it is both uninspired and overwhelming. My vote for future Potter movie scores goes to John Barry (who has already done fantasy with Alice's Adventure's in Wonderland) or Vangelis (who with his new "Mythodea" album proves that he can do classical as well as electronic.)  

i agree here and what was relly annoying was they used it all the time to cover up the not so good stuff.  

Hmm. I'd rather have a "boring" score than a loud, bombastic, intrusive score, which is what John Williams has done most of his career.

I think this proves that opinions can be wrong.

OK I've updated the 3 main posts in this thread with the latest info and I also gave better track names to a handful of tracks. I also completely reformatted the "CD in chronological order" and "chronological cd without splitting up tracks" portions. Still need to add a few more things about Sirius's Theme into a few of the cues in the main post, which I'll do later. If I can find web space somewhere I want to post mp3s soon so I can hopefully get some opinions on what the different 3 and 4 note themes (talked about a few posts up) are all about.

Oh yea, and I'll be adding "A Winter's Spell" to the "Returning Themes" portion at some point... It doesn't really have a place in the main cue list because its just music sung by people on screen, not part of an actual film cue. In fact, they sing it over a cue of Hogsmeade source music and again later over the beginning of "Harry's Vow"

http://www.sugarquill.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=814

It's as if Columbus turned on the "All JW, All The Time" radio station and expected it to somehow all fit into the movie.

Hey, where is this radio station? Why don't we know about it? :)

8O All those infidels, especially the ones who wanted to replace Williams with John Barry or Vangelis!

Another new discovery:

The end of "Inside The Shrieking Shack" is tracked music from "Peter Pettigrew"... One of only two times in the movie tracked music is used (The other is at the end, they replaced the ending of "Lupin Leaves" with music tracked from "Knight Ghosts").

• 3 weeks later...