What WILL be the next BEST Williams Epic score?

King Mark

Next best BIG score  

29 members have voted

1. 1.

• Star Wars Episode 3
    • War of the Worlds
    • Indiana Jones 4
    • Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think War of The Worlds is the only one that will really be epic. And right now I doubt Indy 4 will ever get made.

I'm betting all my chips on Episode 3.My expectations for this are beyond that of Harry Potter.Hopefully I'm not wrong

K.M.

WotW I don't know about. Indy 4 isn't likely to ever get off the ground again, thank God.

Episode III will likely be a good chance, but F'd up in the film.

Williams' record on the Potter movies has been outstanding sofar, so my vote goes to GoF.

- Marc

Well, there's already an expensive script existing.

Which was rejected by Lucas, and as far as I know, nothing's hapening with the script right now.

Well, there's already an expensive script existing.

Which was rejected by Lucas, and as far as I know, nothing's hapening with the script right now.

If Lucas is "only about the money",why doesn't he approve of this thing now nd make it before it's too late,i mean i'll make money even if the script is not perfect.

K.M.

Ford, Spielberg and Lucas have said they want the new Indy to be something good. If they're not all three convinced the script is class, they won't be doing it. Lucas didn't like the script, so the project grinded to a halt. Spielberg and Ford have already moved on, because they can't film right now anymore, due to scheduling conflicts. It's not very likely this film will be made. We should be thankful for that.

Goblet of Fire. I mean we have the epic grave yard scene, he could write a thrilling theme for the Triwizard Tournament. The Water challenge. THE DRAGON! Quidditch World Cup!

Episode III no question. The completion of Williams' greatest work.

Goblet of Fire will be great too. I have serious doubts if Indy 4 or War of the Worlds will ever be made. How many times has someone said Spielberg was doing something the last several years only to have it never happen. Anyone remeber Memoirs of a Geisha? And I know there's more that I can't remember the titles of.

Star Wars: Episode III. I exist only to hear this final Star Wars score...wow.

Williams' record on the Potter movies has been outstanding sofar, so my vote goes to GoF.

No, not really. (I too expect the Goblet of Fire score to be excellent, though.)

Hopefully Williams will agree to score HPGOF. If it's slated for a November 2005 release he should be able to.

.)

Yeah,me too,it's kind of disturbing if you think about it.My worst nightmare is that for some unforseen reason he can't do it.After Ep3,i don't really mind what he scores or not and I'll take it one score at a time.I hope he does the next Potter or Indy if it happens,but it's not as important to me.

K.M.

War of the Worlds, while I nonetheless want Ep 3 to be awesome, Lucas will butcher it somehow while WotW is something new for Williams and less likely to be butchered on release

.)

Yeah,me too,it's kind of disturbing if you think about it.My worst nightmare is that for some unforseen reason he can't do it.After Ep3,i don't really mind what he scores or not and I'll take it one score at a time.I hope he does the next Potter or Indy if it happens,but it's not as important to me.

K.M.

Same here. Ep. III is everything. I'll look forward to GOF once it gets closer, but nothing will be like Ep. III when it comes out. And I think that WoW has great potential, I'm just not gonna get worked up about it until it's confirmed that it's actually filming or something.

Star Wars: Episode III. I exist only to hear this final Star Wars score.

Please don't take this the wrong way. Some would argue that the same would apply to me but......what a sad existence you must lead then.

Neil

Please don't take this the wrong way

How can he, there is nothing offensive in that sentence.

Goblet of Fire. I mean we have the epic grave yard scene, he could write a thrilling theme for the Triwizard Tournament. The Water challenge. THE DRAGON! Quidditch World Cup!

GOF also gives John an opportunity to use Fawkes' Theme one more time too.

My mouth waters thinking about the GoF score. Luckily, unlike the wait between CoS and PoA, we've got 3 Williams scores over the period of 18 months in between the two pictues.

Umm...I'd say if JW were to work with Jean-Jacques Annaud again, that'd take my vote. The dude really knows how to ask for a grandiose score. 7YIT and EatG both have incredibly great scores. The films themselves could be a little more stimulating, but the music is sublime (even if EatG was used for Troy). But the likelihood of this happening is probably slim to nill. (Wonder what Williams would've done with EatG? Now doesn't that sound interesting?)

Of the 4 listed, I don't really want to take a guess. If WotW is going to be an epic, typical Spielberg film then there's a chance for an epic score. But if it's going to be more psychological/deep/emotional/moody, then I don't guess it will be epic. Ep III will suck (hey--the first two have, so what's stopping #3 from falling victim too?) Indy IV won't happen, likely. But if it does, I expect it to go either way. Since it's going to be the first Indy film in 15+ years, JW might go all out and make a fine score. On the other hand, he may pick up where he left off with LC and not make a very epic score like ToD.

I really hope to see Williams pick up a different kind of project pretty soon. He's getting too predictable with only working for Lucas, Spielberg, and Columbus. It'd be nice if Peter Weir would hire him for Pattern Recognition. (It's a little close, but it would be even better if he was hired for War Magician.) Weir's always gone with synth/classical, but never an original classical score, I don't think. So it'd be a new thing for him to hire Williams, too.

Please don't take this the wrong way. Some would argue that the same would apply to me but......what a sad existence you must lead then.

Yeah, uh, I wasn't being completely serious.

But more importantly, Dobby's theme! :thumbup:

SW: E3.

OK, maybe AOTC disappointed (I personally loved it but I also admit that it was the weakest Star Wars score, which isn't really insulting considering how great they all are), but come on... you know that it's gonna' be good. Unfortunately, Lucas' editing-to-the-last-minute-and-hacking-Willaims-scores-in-the-process habits have us all a bit worried abiut how the finished product will appear on film. But that never should reflect on WIlliams scoring. He almost always produces great work... we just need the grand-scale scores like these in their fullest forms.

This leads me to ask: Is there any possible way that we can jump-star a petition BEFORE the scoring to beg and plead for a double CD release of Episode 3's music? I think we brought it up before E2, but nobody did it until AFTER the score was released. AKA; too late.

Goblet of Fire. Williams has shown the most inspiration and best quality in his Potter scores as of late, so I have no doubts about how great this score will be. As HPFan mentioned, there are numerous sequences in the book that call for epic music. Plus, like Joe said, Fawkes' theme really should be part of the score. I'll be highly disappointed if it's not, but that will depend a lot on the adaptation. Anyway, I'm much more sentimental toward Harry Potter than any of the other options, so this is my new most anticipated score.

Ray Barnsbury

Plus, like Joe said, Fawkes' theme really should be part of the score.  

Jo Rowling's words even call for it, as we hear the phoenix's song when the wands connect. Priore Incantartum{sp?}

Jo Rowling's words even call for it, as we hear the phoenix's song when the wands connect. Priore Incantartum{sp?}

I know, that's of course the part I was referring to (Priori Incantatem). But I don't want to have any really specific expectations, as that often leads to first-listen disappointment.

Ray Barnsbury

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I just saw POA and was literally awed by the score presented in the film, especially when Harry conjures the Patronus against the Dementors to save Sirius (first time when we see the Stag, I mean). In contrast, I can't even imagine how beautifully Williams will score the Priori Incantatem scene at the end of GOF with the showdown between Harry and Voldemort, the appearance of Harry's parents and Fawkes. I'm psyched already.

Of course, War of the Worlds has potential, but until I'm convinced that it'll actually get made, I'll remain reserved. Star Wars: Episode III of course will be great, but I'm just not in SW mode at the moment.

Indiana Jones 4? Bleh.

My mouth waters at the thought of the climaz of OOTP; (spoilers) the duel between Voldemort and Dumbledore and Fawkes' pivotal role. It will be outstanding with those images.

It seems less likely, however, that Fawkes will even appear at all in GoF. He's hardly as important as in CoS or OOTP (the latter is NAMED after him). Still, we will have to wait and find out.

I've got my fingers crosed for Episode III.

Hopefully Lucas won't tamper too much with this film, especially as he's already expressed his concern it'll be the least popular of the lot because it'll be so dark.... who's he trying to kid! Does he not KNOW how successful Prisoner of Azkaban is prooving, and that's dark as hell!

Surely Lucas must realise how much his prequel trilogy has been slated for one thing or another, so with any luck he'll want to go out with a bang and let John Williams do the same.

Plus I don't see what people have against the Phantom Menace score. It was miles better than AOTC! Perhaps people don't like it because they heard it the second time round, mashed into the last half an hour of AOTC!

I hope we never hear a score for Indy 4 because I think this film would just be plain embarrassing!!!

SeekUYoda, who thinks it will be his "Art of Fugue"

You mean a work so dry and complex that it's generally considered to be a pure study/research piece and very rarely performed?

Marian - LOL

- SeekUYoda, who thinks it will be his "Art of Fugue"

I hope not!!! Didn't Bach die before finishing it?????

Well, he did... and we all have to go sometime, but that's not what I meant!!! I was going to say, "who thinks it will be his 9th Symphony," but the 9th is usually a Grim so I thought again. I meant that Ep III will be the final jewel in the crown, as if to say "Ha! This is the ultimate essay in film scoring! I have completed every possible exploration of these themes."

Bach composed numerous variations on a single theme without repeating himself - Williams has lived with the themes for almost thirty years and composed, IMHO, an equally masterful set of variations on themes without their becoming dull and repetitive! I mean, how many times have we all heard the Force theme, but about half of us think it's the most beautiful theme he ever wrote.

And Marian.... well, okay, I guess I should have thought the analogy through a bit more, but I was going for the "mastery" bit, not the "dryness" and "death" parts! :wave:

My mouth waters at the thought of the climaz of OOTP; (spoilers) _____ and Fawkes' pivotal role. It will be outstanding with those images.

Oh, yeah. Sometimes I like to imagine that hypothetical music in my head. Sorceror's Stone motif (not for the Stone...obviously) and Fawkes' Theme, hell yeah.

Lucas didn't like the script, so the project grinded to a halt.

It's possible the script wasn't good, but I have to think that if Spielberg said yes it was at least worthy. He didn't make too much fuss about Lucas saying no, so maybe it wasn't awesome, but I still think it was a loss. We'll probably see it online at some point, then we can all make a final judgment.

Now, IMO, it has to be Episode III. I'm very apprehensive about WotW. Not sure why, I just have a bad feeling about it.

Lucas didn't like the script, so the project grinded to a halt.

It's possible the script wasn't good, but I have to think that if Spielberg said yes it was at least worthy. He didn't make too much fuss about Lucas saying no, so maybe it wasn't awesome...

Besides the fact that Lucas is the producer and that it is his brainchild, I think it's very hard to go against the will of Lucas, even if your name is Spielberg.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Steven wouldn't stand againsr Lucas anyway. The man seems to kiss Lucas' ass when it should be the other way around.

I think Spielberg considers Lucas a friend and treats him in this way too. I think he's much more sensitive than Lucas too. I'm sure Spielberg has his own opinions about the Star Wars prequels... certainly this more mature Spielberg.

Oh look I am certain Steven considers Lucas a buddy. However, sometimes you gotta set your buddy straight and step up to correct their mistakes. Which is what Steven should do regarding Indy 4.