Best non-Williams score of the 1980s Please READ

the_face

Sorry, Ricard, if this is too unrelated to Williams. :oops:

Basically, the reason I got into score music was because of 'Back to the Future'. As many of you may already know, this score was never fully released officially and I believe it warrants a full release to coincide with the release of the DVDs this winter.

:| I would urge everyone to sign the petition for the score release. In my view, it is arguably one of the best non-Williams scores of the 1980s. In fact, a lot of people think that Williams wrote it - you'll see this if you type in a search for it on Audiogalaxy (R.I.P. by the way) :(

Anyway, here's the link:

http://www.chez.com/bttf/sign.htm

Just send them an e-mail. It's all pretty straight forward.

Many thanks.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:( WoW! Thanks for the enthusiasm, guys! I hope more people can jump on this Back to the Future bandwagon. And if you haven't seen the flick, then why not?! :!:

Please, let's keep sending those petitions! :|

If you want i can email you a low quality MP3, so you will know what i'm talking about.

Stefancos- who thinks the Main Theme is very Williams like.

How big is it, because my mailbox isn't that big.

~Harry

Don't worry' date=' film music related topics are also welcome! :)

In my view, it is arguably one of the best non-Williams scores of the 1980s.

It is one of my favorite non-Williams scores of all time :(

:| Ricard's BTTF Bootleg, featuring 90% of Silvestri's original score (38') + John Debney's re-recording from the Varèse release (23') + Erich Kunzel's great performance of the Main Theme (3'30'')

(CD Edited and Sequenced by Ricard L. Befan)

Not necessarily the best score, but the honorable mentions (to make up for everyone else not naming the best non-Williams 80s scores):

Rambo trilogy

Right Stuff

BTTF

Star Trek II/III/V (and TMP, since it was a late '79 release)

Cocoon

Batman

Twilight Zone The Movie

Innerspace

TRON

There's a ton more scores I could list by Jerry or Jimbo (Horner, that is), but there's so many and I can't think of them all.

I'd add Transformers: The Movie to the distinguished 80's non-Williams list.

Chris, Who loves that score more than many, many Williams scores in his collection... :|

I'll sign the petition even though I'm not much of a BTTF follower. I always support fuller soundtrack releases no matter who is the composer.

I'd add Transformers: The Movie to the distinguished 80's non-Williams list.

:roll: Do you mind, were serious here.

Stefancos- wondering if Chrusher knows the BTTF theme.

Steef, the Transformers is part of an 80's nostalgia period that is pretty hot right now.

Go on ebay and see what a pressed complete score will fetch. Or any Transformer for that matter...

-Chris, Who considers 1997 film score heaven because he got the complste scores to Star Wars, TESB, ROTJ, and TF:TM!!! :|

I'd add Dragonslayer and The Mission. And take off the bad Right Stuff and Batman :mrgreen:

Stefancos- who will never trade with Coleman again.

:mrgreen:

More for me. :)

Justin -Who needs to get to work on the rest of James' discs. :lookaround:

I'd add Dragonslayer and The Mission. And take off the bad Right Stuff and Batman :)

Ricard - Who would add many, many other works by Goldsmith, Horner, Conti, Silvestri, Broughton, Kamen...

:roll: Well thanks for the input. I hope that mostly everyone can sign the petition. 17 years is a long time for a score to be ignored. If they can do it with 'Die Hard', they can certainly do it with 'Back to the Future'. Keep signing and sending those e-mails :arrow: :!:

Cheers lads.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about this score. :mrgreen:

~Harry

Whoa man! Have you seen Back to the Future? If you have, I'm surprised you don't remember the music. If you haven't, go do yourself a favor and watch it. Alan Silvestri's theme for this movie is probably the third or fourth most recognizable themes ever written for a movie! The finale is film scoring at its very finest. For obvious reasons, it's the best driving music ever written.

I have the Varese trilogy rerecording and the boot, but I'd buy a release of the original score in a heartbeat.

Yes, I have seen the movies, and I know I'll know the theme when I hear it, but I can't think of it off the top of my head.

~Harry, going to check his mail now

Ahhh, the Back to the Future theme. As I thought, I did recognize it. Heavy use of cymbals, perhaps a little too much, but that was just after one listen (that was my immediate thought). Good theme indeed!

Thanks, Mr. Cosman!

~Harry

"Stefancos' alien chick is very annoying. What's up with her anyway? She's not all that hot! "  

-Jamesyboy

:)  

Stefancos- who will never trade with Coleman again.

You must admit, Mr. Cosman. She isn't very flattering in a Sith cloak. She looks like she'd suck your blood out before anything else.

Get you mind out of the gutter because I didn't mean it to sound like that... :|

-Chris, Who asked James for permission to use that line. LOL

Ricard's BTTF Bootleg, featuring 90% of Silvestri's original score (38') + John Debney's re-recording from the Varèse release (23') + Erich Kunzel's great performance of the Main Theme (3'30'')

(CD Edited and Sequenced by Ricard L. Befan)

That's exactly how mine it put together!!! Exactly!

Stefancos- who will never trade with Coleman again

Sorry Stefancos...but the truth hurts :? Don't let this little thing get in the way our trade relationship :) Just, if your going to display some eye-candy, maybe a picture of Denise Richards...oh wait...Indysolo did that already :mrgreen: Indy, we must finish our deal!

Chris, Who asked James for permission to use that line.

And I gave it to him enthusiastically :|

Jamesyboy - anxiously awaiting CD's from Chris, Justin and 3 from Half.com..where is Stefancos and Indysolo in this list???

The 80's got off to a great start in 1980 with the non Williams score to Dressed to Kill by Pino Donaggio.

If you want something different but very beautiful, check this score out.

I'd add Dragonslayer and The Mission. And take off the bad Right Stuff and Batman :|

Ricard - Who would add many, many other works by Goldsmith, Horner, Conti, Silvestri, Broughton, Kamen...

What is this supposed to mean? What would you add? And what is wrong with The Mission and Dragonslayer?

Morn - :mrgreen: Who would like to know more about what Ricard thinks of his opinion.

Morn - Who might add Silverado

Isn't it obvious Morn, look at that face.

Remember calling the Right STuff bad, is just your opinion, just like my opinion on LC and HOOK. Some of us think the Right Stuff is a fine score.

I hope that wasn't a reference to me. :) It's not my petition exactly, but I'd still like everyone to sign it, if anything to show your support for expanded/complete score releases. :!:

I definatly think that everyone contributing in this thread should be signing the petition. :)

Don't let me catch any slackers...

Stefancos- who forgives Coleman, since he obviously has no taste in women....Denise Richards...Pffffhhh... :roll:

Another 3 words.

POL

TER

GEIST

the guy with the ponytail, 1982

Its a five star score anyway you look at it.

It just happened to come out the same time as E.T.

I'm actually in the process of acquiring said Young Sherlock Holmes 2cd...but I'm not counting my chickens. I need to wait for it to arrive first. :)

Sorry for the digression - how many people have signed and sent the Back to the Future score petition? :?: Maybe I'll start a new thread...

What?!? Bruce Broughton being mentioned and nobody adding SILVERADO to the list?!?

I can't believe my ears...

YSH and SLIVERADO in 1985 were the best one-two punch from a composer of the decade!

Three words:

"YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES"

(1985) - Bruce Broughton

Last edited by DarthArcher on Tue Jun 25, 2002 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total

Absolutely! One of my all time favourites along with Back To the Future! Deserves an official release!

How about these little beauties also:

OMEN: THE FINAL CONFLICT

POLTERGEIST

SUPERGIRL

THE LAND BEFORE TIME

COCOON

KRULL

THE BOY WHO COULD FLY

SILVERADO

BRAZIL

THE COLOR PURPLE

THE NATURAL

CINEMA PARADISO

THE UNTOUCHABLES

THE MISSION

THE LAST STARFIGHTER

SOMEWHERE IN TIME

I'm sure I have left loads out!

ps Just listening to Williams recording of Peter & The Wolf forgetting how much Horner ripped off Prokofiev so blatantly for the above stated 'Land Before Time'!