Beginning of Ep III revealed

QMM

It is exactly the desings what looked worse in 1977, not the materials! And definately paint is beter now, and the way to applicate it.

Wood and nails have not been evolved...

But that's not what you said, what you said was, "i wouldnt like 1977 kind of sets in a movie made in the 21st century." implying that set construction has improved dramatically in 27 years. I'd love to know how. Designs have certainly changed, bt I can't see inherent problems with sets from a long time ago. In fact, where is the Ken Adam of today?

01A00230.JPG

Neil

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Lucas at least attempts to come up with a more creative finale for this trilogy. I mean dancing Ewoks around a fireplace was HARDLY the kind of ending that the OT deserved.

It is exactly the desings what looked worse in 1977, not the materials! And definately paint is beter now, and the way to applicate it.

Wood and nails have not been evolved...

But that's not what you said, what you said was, "i wouldnt like 1977 kind of sets in a movie made in the 21st century." implying that set construction has improved dramatically in 27 years. I'd love to know how. Designs have certainly changed, bt I can't see inherent problems with sets from a long time ago. In fact, where is the Ken Adam of today?

01A00230.JPG

Neil

You shouldnt be that picky with people that do not speak english as their main language.

'kind of sets' could also mean how they look.

The sets of Ridley Scott are amazing. Say what you want about Legend but that forest looked wonderful and it was mostly build in a studio.

Linda de Scenna's work in Blade Runner is simply outstanding. She also worked on Star Trek: TMP, The Color Purple, The Rocketeer, Someone to Watch Over Me, Rain Man, Mouse Hunt, Patch Adams, etc.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I wonder if we will see any cameo appearances by a young Lando or Han in Episode III? I doubt it but it could happen.

I'd be really surprised. We're getting Chewie and Tarkin, that'll probably be it. Plus seeing Leia's adopted father, but he was in Ep. 2 also.

Young Han might be cool ....... errrr ....... no ...... no it wouldn't.

I dont wantr to remember Han as some whiny 12 year old with braces.

I wonder if we will see any cameo appearances by a young Lando or Han in Episode III? I doubt it but it could happen.

Man, that would suck.

So far the only known cameos are Chewbacca, Tarkin, and Mon Mothma. Am I right?

The sets of Ridley Scott are amazing. Say what you want about Legend but that forest looked wonderful and it was mostly build in a studio.

Linda de Scenna's work in Blade Runner is simply outstanding. She also worked on Star Trek: TMP, The Color Purple, The Rocketeer, Someone to Watch Over Me, Rain Man, Mouse Hunt, Patch Adams, etc.  

----------------

Alex Cremers

God knows I've argued with you about Blade Runner, but I cannot fault its production design, or it's sets, technically it was terrific.

Back to the Star Wars sets, when I saw the Empire Strikes Back, I was facinated by the set where Luke and Vader battle each other with the red lights in the steps. The whole set today would be digitized and would not have the subtle depth as the one built back in 78, and 79 for ESB.

Man, that would suck.

So far the only known cameos are Chewbacca, Tarkin, and Mon Mothma. Am I right?

As far as I've heard yes.

I think those are going to be more than cameos?

Isnt a cameo when someone makes an apareance, as a background character?

I think that chewbacca will do more than that, and mon mothma at least will say something in the Senate.

Luke skywalker will make a cameo. Not sure about leia. I hope she doesnt.

This reminds me of a conversation I had a while ago....

My friend Zack, "Why is Anakin so damn whiny in Episode 2?"

My reply,"Luke had to get it from somewhere."

I still challenge anyone (including Lucas, though he can't hear me) to bear Fall of the Jedi. It works on as many levels as 'Return of the Jedi' did, and works as a good parallel to it. Whatever we get will be worse than that, I bet.

I have been puzzling over the Episode III title for years. I still haven't come up with my own creation that would be worthy. Okay, so we have Return of the Jedi, Attack of the Clones, Fellowship of the Ring, Return of the King, Order of the Phoenix, and so forth to name only a few trilogic titles. Does George Lucas really want to add another to that list?

My thoughts were that he had this great title for Episode III lined up years ago, that didn't involve "noun" "of the" "noun," and so used up that form for Episode II. If you compare Original Trilogy to Prequel Trilogy, you'll notice a pattern:

A New Hope = The Phantom Menace ("article" "adjective" "noun")

Return of the Jedi = Attack of the Clones ("noun" "of the" "noun")

The Empire Strikes Back = "article" "noun" "(phrasal) verb"

He's used "The" as an article once in each trilogy, so methinks it'll be A or An this time.

But, my gosh, how ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLY difficult it is to come up with a good title in the form of

"A _______ _________s."

For instance, "A Chance Fades" or "An Enemy is Crowned" blah blah...

Does anybody have any hot ideas? (I know this isn't exactly relevant to John Williams, but neither is this whole topic lol.)

By the way, I know it doesn't have a verb in it etc, but I thought of the title "Star Wars: Episode III - A Grievous Mistake" (because of the character of General Grievous being introduced) but then I realised it would perhaps describe George Lucas's prequel a little too well.

I certainly hope Grievous won't be that important a character. :?

It's nice that you found these patterns, but Lucas is certainly not bound to them.

The Phantom Menace-A New Hope -> abstract nouns (menace, hope)

Attack of the Clones-Empire Strikes Back -> verbs meaning and agression (attack, strike back)

Revenge of the Sith-Return of the Jedi -> two interlaced facts, same pattern of title, things that the Sith - Jedi do in that movie (that is returning for both if you look close), Revenge was going to be used in Jedi...,

That's what i think and i hope EPIII is that, that is the one i came up with :angry:

http://www.jedidefender.com/newspro/fullne...090378453,63304,

http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=5643

Ep 3 merchandise designs were shown at Comic-Con, see pics

JediDefender is proud to present, for the first time anywhere, the look of what you'll be seeing all over the shelves come April 2005! The Episode III packaging will be sporting lava, lava and more lava and everyone's favorite Sith Lord in a stylized grimace.

By the way, I know it doesn't have a verb in it etc, but I thought of the title "Star Wars: Episode III - A Grievous Mistake" (because of the character of General Grievous being introduced) but then I realised it would perhaps describe George Lucas's prequel a little too well.

:)

Ray Barnsbury

It would describe everything Lucas has done after Return of the Jedi.

Yeah, another Star Wars & Lucas bashing thread. Can't anyone come up with anything more imaginative?

I'll tell you this, I believe most of this cynicism comes from teh fact that most of us grew up watching Star Wars--meaning we watched the episodes with the innocence and joy of youth. I struggled with the question of "Is SW any good any more?" until I saw my son getting as excited about the new movies as I did about the old movies. It was then I could sit back and shed all my cynicism and "adult" intellect. You know what I found? The lighstaber battles were cool! The space fights were cool! the ground fights between people with blasters were cool!

You gotta remember that kids don't care about FX quality or even acting quality--WE DIDN'T CARE ABOUT THAT STUFF WHEN WE FIRST WATCHED THEM!!! Why should we now? Sit back and enjoy the ride. Star Wars is every bit as good as old westerns, one of the things it is inspired by. It's nt meant for folks who are so uppitty about their "quality entertainment" that all they can do is sit up and critique. It was made for those fols--mainly kids, it seems--who just want to sit back and have a good time.

• 2 weeks later...

You gotta remember that kids don't care about FX quality or even acting quality--WE DIDN'T CARE ABOUT THAT STUFF WHEN WE FIRST WATCHED THEM!!! Why should we now? Sit back and enjoy the ride. Star Wars is every bit as good as old westerns, one of the things it is inspired by. It's nt meant for folks who are so uppitty about their "quality entertainment" that all they can do is sit up and critique. It was made for those fols--mainly kids, it seems--who just want to sit back and have a good time.

Lunacy!

Lunacy!

I'm a fan of the prequels, and I agree that that is some seriously nutty analysis. Although I do agree that some disappointment in the new films come from people having good childhood memories of the OT that can't be equaled as we've all become old and cynical. :)

LUCASARTS FOCUSES THE FORCE ON UPCOMING STAR WARS®: EPISODE III VIDEO GAME

Well, hopefully we'll be able to grab some unreleased music from this.

Doubt it, Lucasarts was very careful not to put any unreleased music from AOTC in any games. Even though a little did get in. We can always hope.

My main thought is that this sounds like it has the potential to be the first preqel-based game that's actually good. Has there been any word on what systems this'll be on. With my luck it'll be PS2 and XBox only, neither of which I have. :)

John- very happy KOTOR was released for the PC.

Doubt it, Lucasarts was very careful not to put any unreleased music from AOTC in any games. Even though a little did get in. We can always hope.

As I understand there is plenty of unreleased music in "Bounty Hunter," but it's stuck in the awful realm of CUT-SCENIA (bah, shoot me now). The in-game material was composed by Jeremy Soule (I'd like to get my hands on that music too).

Chewbacca's in

http://filmforce.ign.com/starwars/articles...5/535154p1.html

Chewie may have been left for last, but was not forgotten. StarWars.com, in their subscription-based Hyperspace area, report that those shots were completed this week as part of the reshoots taking place. Although several tall Australians did don Wookiee costumes for the filming in Sydney last year, the only two Wookiees named in the script ? Chewbacca and Tarfful ? had to wait until now for their moment in front of the greenscreen.

"[Chewbacca's] suit is new, but faithful to the classic incarnation," writes set journalist Pablo Hidalgo. "It sports a new arterial system that can pump ice cold water to help cool the actor down."

Michael Kingma plays Tarfful, a Wookiee about the same height as Chewbacca but beefier than the Millennium Falcon co-pilot.  

The wookiees take part in scenes that involve the invasion of Kashyyyk, the forested wookiee homeworld, by a droid army. Most of the sets will be reproduced digitally, but ILM is also building a scale model of a Wookiee city for some shots.

Also worth noting at Hyperspace is the latest set video, this time of the personal quarters of General Grievous aboard his flagship. The layout, architecture, and computer panels strongly resemble sets from the Death Star and Star Destroyers of the original trilogy.

Tarfful?

I already knew that he was announced a while ago but

scenes involving the original-trilogy character were not actually filmed during principal photography in Australia
and people were wondering if his character was even going to be in at all

I thought they did film some Chewie in Australia, I seem to remember him popping up on the webcam at some point. Oh well. :P

John- looking forward to seeing Tarkin's cameo, played by the incredible Wayne Pygram (Scorpius in Farscape).

"[Chewbacca's] suit is new, but faithful to the classic incarnation," writes set journalist Pablo Hidalgo. "It sports a new arterial system that can pump ice cold water to help cool the actor down."

?

What a waste ,it was used for 2 days,and unless there's another SW film,it will never be used again

!!!!Spoiler!!!!

What's this, the real ending to Star Wars? Luke's father is Chewbacca!?!?! Oh Oh OH

you'sa isa cluelessa.

you really are.

What a waste ,it was used for 2 days,and unless there's another SW film,it will never be used again

That suit must have cost of fortune.

Why couldn't Lucas have used the money to release a complete TOD instead of keeping his Wookie cool.

Why couldn't Lucas have used the money to release a complete TOD instead of keeping his Wookie cool.

That sounds really perverted.

Neil

BTW there are some new pics (green screen no CG backgrounds yet) of the Kenobi/Skywalker fight online. I can post a link if anyone wants to see em.

Actually looks fairly decent.

• 5 weeks later...
According to Gary Oldman's management company, Douglas Management Group, the actor will not be voicing General Grievous in Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith as has been previously reported.

In addition to some rather nasty comments about actress Samantha Morton (there appears to be some sort of feud developing between the two actors) the DMG website states:  "Gary was offered, and agreed to perform in the film, in fact he was excited and looking forward to the work. The snag that made it impossible however is that this film is being made as a non-SAG (Screen Actor's Guild) film. George Lucas and gang agreed to hire Gary Oldman if he in fact would become a union buster, and perform work illegally overseas. As a resident of America, and also a member of SAG, out of respect and solidarity with the other members, he could not and would not consider violating his union's rules."

http://filmforce.ign.com/starwars/articles...4/544480p1.html

:wave:

And the film loses a little of respect in my book

• 2 weeks later...
Reshoots on the set of Revenge of the Sith are wrapping up now. Cast members are saying good-bye to Star Wars forever as they wrap up their final scenes.

"This was very much a fond farewell," Anthony Daniels told the BBC. Daniels has personified the metallic droid C-3PO over the course of six Star Wars films. True to George Lucas's filming style, Daniels' last shot as a droid was taken as he walked along a blue-screened corridor, speaking to a character who wasn't even there.

Commenting on the end of the prequels, Lucas reaffirmed that he has no intention of doing three sequels. "This was never planned as a nine-episode work," the flannel-wearing director told MTV. "The media [pounced when] I made an offhand comment, but I never had any intention of doing that."

However, Lucas is leaving open the possibility that he might pass on the Star Wars torch for someone to make a live-action television series. "Ultimately, I'm going to probably move it into television and let other people take it," he said in an interview with the Associated Press. "You know, I've got offshoot novels, I've got offshoot comics. So it's very easy to say, 'Well, OK, that's that genre, and I'll find a really talented person to take it and create it.' Just like the comic books and the novels are somebody else's way of doing it. I don't mind that. Some of it might turn out to be pretty good. If I get the right people involved, it could be interesting."

Lucas may sound like he's still making up his mind about Star Wars on television, but Lucasfilm officially confirmed during their DVD press conference that a TV series is in the works. There's no word yet on whether it will be set during the prequels, the original trilogy, or during another epoch of Star Wars history. In the past, suggestions made by Star Wars fans have included an X-Wing series or something set during the era of the computer game Knights of the Old Republic.

In the meantime, for those who haven't been following the Revenge of the Sith rumors too closely, SMH.com.au (registration required) has posted a plot summary for the film. (Warning: minor spoilers follow.)

"The film will open three years after the Clone Wars began, with Obi-Wan Kenobi dispatched to bring the film's principal villain, General Grievous, to justice. Grievous ... will, says the animation director, Rob Coleman, be more sinister than Darth Vader.

"Queen Amidala, having married Anakin Skywalker, must at some point give birth to twins, Luke and Leia. In order to protect them from their father, Luke is cleverly hidden on his father's home planet ? not so cleverly under his father's surname.

"Princess Leia, meanwhile, is adopted by the Organa family on Alderaan. Unfortunately, she retains the title Princess, making it difficult to disguise the fact that she is Amidala's daughter."

Readers with a subscription to the official Star Wars site's Hyperspace service should also check out the latest VR set image. It's just a neat ventillation tube, but it also bears a great resemblance to the grungy sets of the original series, like the Death Star cellblock or the shafts on Bespin.

http://filmforce.ign.com/starwars/articles...8/548457p1.html

According to Gary Oldman's management company, Douglas Management Group, the actor will not be voicing General Grievous in Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith as has been previously reported.

In addition to some rather nasty comments about actress Samantha Morton (there appears to be some sort of feud developing between the two actors) the DMG website states:  "Gary was offered, and agreed to perform in the film, in fact he was excited and looking forward to the work. The snag that made it impossible however is that this film is being made as a non-SAG (Screen Actor's Guild) film. George Lucas and gang agreed to hire Gary Oldman if he in fact would become a union buster, and perform work illegally overseas. As a resident of America, and also a member of SAG, out of respect and solidarity with the other members, he could not and would not consider violating his union's rules."

http://filmforce.ign.com/starwars/articles...4/544480p1.html

;)

And the film loses a little of respect in my book

Now that story was fake, i hope the bit of respect is restored....

:)