Spielberg

tony69

From Comingsoon.net

Eric Bana Starring in Spielberg's Olympics Film Source: Variety Friday, June 11, 2004

blablabla

Spielberg's intends to follow his summer project with a winter start on The Rivals, the Robin Swicord-scripted DreamWorks drama about catfighting 19th Century stage divas. Spielberg then hopes to direct Tom Cruise in a Paramount/DreamWorks adaptation of the H.G. Wells novel The War of the Worlds, which is being scripted by David Koepp.

Thus the next William scores we will be awaiting are the Olympics, The Rivals and the War of the Worlds. Nicenice. I'm interested in what he will come up with for the Rivals.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are my unfounded musings based on that paragraph:

about catfighting 19th Century stage divas

Is it just me, or does that sound like it could be Spielberg's flop for this decade?

Whatever happened to Ghost Soldiers?

Now, the Olympics movie is about Munich, right? That should be good. Probably an Oscar contender.

I'm interested in what he will come up with for the Rivals.

Strangely enough....i'm not. :mrgreen:

There will be enough bombastic, patriotic harmonies and exaggerated, sweeping, larger-than-life themes in The War of the Worlds score for you to sink your teeth in, Stefancos. Also, wasn't there a new Jurassic Park movie on Spielberg's agenda? Boy, good times are heading your way!

I don't think The Rivals is a done deal yet, just my luck :( .

----------------

Alex Cremers

There will be enough bombastic, patriotic harmonies and exaggerated, sweeping, larger-than-life themes in The War of the Worlds score for you to sink your teeth in, Stefancos. Also, wasn't there also a new Jurassic Park movie on Spielberg's agenda? Boy, good times are heading your way!

----------------

Alex Cremers

I think those are good times either. :mrgreen:

I was trying to say that the way Alex describes the good times that were ahead for Stefan, I also regard as being good times. So I also would enjoy hearing "bombastic, patriotic harmonies and exaggerated, sweeping, larger-than-life themes in The War of the Worlds score" and a "new Jurassic Park" movie. Forigive me my bad English.

According to Variety, they're supposed to start filming the Olympics movie in about six weeks. Seems a little close to still be casting, though. Maybe Bana was the last to come on?

I think Williams will try to not do brassy fanfares for the Munich Olympics film. If it has any of this celebratory music, it will be source music. The subject is very serious.

According to Variety, they're supposed to start filming the Olympics movie in about six weeks.  Seems a little close to still be casting, though.  Maybe Bana was the last to come on?

Supposedly Ben Kingsly was cast but had to drop out because he had already signed on to do Polanski's Oliver Twist.

I think Williams will try to not do brassy fanfares for the Munich Olympics film. If it has any of this celebratory music, it will be source music. The subject is very serious.

I think there will be brassy fanfares,but with dissonany chords.Sort of like Summon the Heroes meets The Turbulent Years from Nixon.

k.M.

Spielberg keeps picking the worst projects.

I guess Spielberg lost interest in the typical Spielberg movie and so his heart goes to other subjects now.

Spielberg keeps picking new projects, which is as good as you could hope for from a director. He scores a huge hit with Minority Report, a solid hit with CMIYC. One movie that may or may not be good hardly qualifies for saying that the man keeps picking the worst subjects. I'd say (not including The Terminal), he's only had 3 clear misses, and 2 more borderline. Out of 20 films, that ain't bad at all.

And anyone know where I could find the Black Sunday trailer online? I'm dying to see it again. It's brilliant (even inspired Tarantino!).

He scores a huge hit with Minority Report, a solid hit with CMIYC.

Actually, for the record, both of these films came in right about the same, with $305.2 million for "Minority Report" and $304.9 million for "Catch Me If You Can" worldwide, so both are fairly solid (although "Minority Report" probably didn't earn as much actual earnings since its budget was higher, it was a co-production, and Spielberg and Cruise took a huge slice of the earnings before Fox or DreamWorks got their cuts...

For my two cents on Spielberg's choice of projects, he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't since if all he made were "blockbusters" people would be sniping at his supposed unoriginality or falling back on prior succeses. He tries something new and gosh he's just wasting his and our time.

I'd rather have a director try something new and follow their instincts (even if they may fail from time to time, and as Morlock points out, Spielberg's track record is actually quite amazing successes to failures).

To further annoy you with details, if you put much stock in Rotten Tomatoes critical polling system, it looks like "Catch Me If You Can" actually comes out ahead at 97% fresh, while "Minority Report" got 93% fresh. The general public (from my vantage) seemed to like "Catch Me" collectively more than "Minority Report," which did have its detractors.

Still, Morlock's (and others) points remain very valid that Spielberg doesn't seem to be hurting either critically or financially from his recent project choices. These are obvious facts that may not say that his newer work is everyone's cup of tea, but a helluva lot of people seem to appreciate what he's doing.

I think Catch Me is a more audience friendly movie,

Minority Report was a very cold movie, by design.

To further annoy you with details, if you put much stock in Rotten Tomatoes critical polling system, it looks like "Catch Me If You Can" actually comes out ahead at 97% fresh, while "Minority Report" got 93% fresh. The general public (from my vantage) seemed to like "Catch Me" collectively more than "Minority Report," which did have its detractors.

If you go by the MetaCritic ratings, Minority Report gets an 81 and Catch Me If You Can gets a 76.

Meanwhile, The Terminal is fetching a 58, lower than A.I. (68).

I think Catch Me is a more audience friendly movie,  

Minority Report was a very cold movie, by design.

... while "Minority Report" got 93% fresh

It surprises me to see Minority Report score so high. I usually find myself in agreement with the critics but in this case I think they went totally overboard with their high ratings.

----------------

Alex Cremers

It surprises me to see Minority Report score so high. I usually find myself in agreement with the critics but in this case I think they went totally overboard with their high ratings.  

And like clockwork, I disagree. :(

They got it right for once. For that film, critics were unsualy wise in seeing the greatness of that movie, most audiences seemed to have missed it.

I agree on that too. Neither film deserves a score that high. Both are decent movies but neither is spectacular.

As I said, Minority Report deserves that and more IMO. Catch Me If You Can Definately not as high, but that rating only goes by positive reviews, not how positive they were. Almost all of it's reviews were a very solid 3 stars, for the entertaining movie that it was. I'm not sure, but I seem to recall that Spielbergfilms said that at least going by Rottentomatoes, The Two Towers was the best reviewed movie of 2002, followed by CMIYC in second place and MR in third. MR I think definately belongs there, but there were so many good movies that year, it's a shame that so many of them didn't get the respect they deserved.

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw a little rumor printed by the Wall Street Journal and picked up on IMDb. The Olympics film is apparently entitled Vengeance, and will be about Bana's character hunting down the Palestinian terrorists after the massacre. This could be misinformation, but it does make me more intrigued. IIRC correctly, the Mossad eventually found and killed everyone responsible, unfortunately they also killed an innocent man. The Oscar smell keeps getting stronger...

Wow cool. Can't wait to hear what kinda score comes out of a movie about vengeance. Not that I endorse the act in real life, but in movies, it's quite good. :-) After all, it's made for the best parts in Star Trek II, Rambo: First Blood Part II, Braveheart, The Patriot, Return of the Jedi, just to name a few. Those are all the popcorn movies that deal with it. Can't think of any "good" arthouse-type ones at the moment.

Just how did the Mossad hunt down the assassins?

It's all true. We've been covering the project since 2003 here:http://spielbergfilms.com/mossadnews.html

Cool, thanks for the link. I always say true stories make for the best drama, so I hope the script sticks close to the actual events.

Just how did the Mossad hunt down the assassins?

I did a quick google and came up with this: http://www.fas.org/irp/eprint/calahan.htm I didn't read it, but it looks like it'll tell you all you ever wanted to know.