I like the Terminal score

nja

The official release date of a new JW score and is it just me . . . or does everyone seem slightly disinterested?

Well, just for the record, I think the score is great fun and has some beautiful moments- perhaps charming is the right word. It may not have all the classic drama of PoA, but after all, we wouldn't want that in every score especially in a lighter film.

Also, the slavic element does fill an important spot in JW's amazing array of different styles.

The Krakozhia National Anthem is actually kind of nice. Perhaps some of these small dictatorships should hire JW to write theirs :-)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The U.S. already has a national anthem.

Terminal:

I like this score and listened to it several times today, but it was not "mind-blowing" like PoA. I think "The Fountain Scene" is beautiful, as is "Jazz Autographs". "Wedding of ..." is very recalling of "The Float" (and by extension, somewhat to "The Mecha World") as well as Sean's Theme from Minority Report, and obviously the Wedding March (Mendelssohn's?) by design.

I think that the comment by diskobulus is completely political and I am offended.

I would have bought the score but I had trouble finding it, and then when I did I didn't have enough cash on me. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Barnes and Nobles wanted 18.99. I am calling our employee line and complaining tomorrow about our high prices they are absolutely rediculous. I will point out that even with our employee discount, I can get it cheaper at Best Buy who had it for 14.99. I will also point out that loyalty among shoppers is a desirable quality to try and grow.

I like the score too. I listened to it twice today, and have grown to - well, "love" the love theme. It's very beautiful, and yes, charming as you guys have mentioned. The Russion-flavored theme for Navorski is also a delight.

Ray Barnsbury

Alas, I live more than 30 miles from the nearest place that even sells cds. I haven't had the chance to go and buy it.

Perhaps I'll just buy it through iTunes. It is certainly cheaper that way.

I am actually surprised to see this movie doing decent review-wise.

I actually thought it might be Steven's first "Rotten" film over at everyone's favorite review site.

Ahhh well ..... its still early.

Perhaps I'll just buy it through iTunes.  It is certainly cheaper that way.

Yeah, KM- you should try that.

I think that the comment by diskobulus is completely political and I am offended.

Small dictatorships- small minds- same diff.

To answer your question, I think the only parts of the score that are distractingly similar are passages that sound like Catch me if you Can. It almost seems like it might have been used as a temp track in places although the similarity might just be explained by the similarity in the feel of the movies. This represents a pretty small proportion of the score though. Track 3 has shades of the Patriot and I'm sure one can find other examples.

The East European stuff is very unique for him and the part I've enjoyed the most, especially track 12. I also think its amazing how many love themes JW has written over the years but always incorporating different and appropriate voices or styles. This love theme has a kind of old-school, classic, jazzy feel to it, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, a wonderful album - anxious to see the movie and judge how it works as a score.

- Adam

Can the new score be described in terms of existing scores?

. . . it is also rather interesting to compare with Fiddler on the Roof. Of course the use of accordion gives certain passages a resemblance to Sabrina.

I think it is Schindler's List meets Catch Me If You Can meets Sabrina (one cue with accordion, but not Williams' theme)

I think it is Schindler's List meets Catch Me If You Can meets Sabrina

Now is that even possible? It would be like saying:

I think it is Mahler meets Gerswhin meets Bartok

:sadwavey:

I think it is Schindler's List meets Catch Me If You Can meets Sabrina (one cue with accordion, but not Williams' theme)

Haven't heard The Terminal yet, but sincerely doubt it's SL in there. SL is in the emotion, not just the notes. SL ain't SL without the emotion, it may be similar notes, but unless ther's a truely heartbreaking scene in the movie, I doubt it.

"Schindler's Workforce" and "The Tale ov Victor Navorsky" have a similar feel, at least from the soundclips. I will listen to the whole album tonight.

The crucial distinction is that the Terminal music is unmistakingly light-hearted and Schindler's Workforce is grounded - less Hollywood and more authentic. Both have E.European gestures with Schindler's Workforce having more in common with Jewish music in its melody (for obvious reasons).

- Adam

No, obviously Williams is intimating that Navorski's experiences in the airport terminal are akin to those of Jews in the Nazi extermination camps.

Let's not forget the part in the Terminal when Navorsky beds ZetaJones across a makeshift mattress of rolling chairs, afterward proclaiming "I could have done more..."

I think the score's fantastic.

Can anyone tell me if track 1 is a concert suite, or if it's in the movie? I love it. A fantastic start to this very fresh sounding Williams CD.

Yeah track 1 plus track 14 equals the end titles. And, of course, track 13 is the same as track 1 except we get the finale leading into the end credits, as heard in the film.

- Adam

I find it Patriot like

AI like,

BOTFOJ like,

SL like,

SPR like,

MR like

its already gathering dust.

What you've got there is one subpar score with a great theme, one mediocre score, two great scores, two really great score, and one amazing score.

And I don't find to be anything like any of those.

they are all alike, as they gather dust, unlistened too.

they are all alike, as they gather dust, unlistened too.

How can you not like scores you've never listened to? ;)

Justin - Seeing Joe is not a fan of subtlety in his scores...

they've all been listened to, just not recently, Terminal excepted.

don't quite get your last line Justin, your english doesn't make sense to me.

'Finding Coins and Learning to Read' Reminds me a lot of Mark Knopfler's Wag The Dog. Still like it though.

And yet you really liked CMIYC, right Joe? I find The Terminal to be a much more enjoyable score. It's more varied, it has a beautiful love theme, and it's all around more fun. I like CMIYC all right, but definitely prefer The Terminal.

Ray Barnsbury

The Terminal has a lot more re-play value than CMIYC.I've listened to it quite a bit and I'm not bored of it yet.

K.M.Who basically only still listens to The Float and Learning the Ropes from CMIYC.

I just re-listened to CMIYC yesterday and found it extremely satisfying, not really any less replay value except for the fact that the Father's theme plays a bit too much for my liking

Max-Listening to Tenacious D

The father's theme from CMIYC is really beautifully done. Lot's of pathos and emotion.

There seems to be some of that in The Terminal score too from the short bits I've heard on the website...

I also like The Terminal more than Catch Me If You Can. I find I can listen to the whole album straight through, unlike CMIYC, where I jump around, rarely listening to more than 4-5 tracks.

Morlock- who still loves CMIYC, but was very pleasantly surprised by The Terminal