John Williams SONGS

John McClane

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

James Horner is probably the best film composer to gap the bridge between symphonic scoring and accesible songs.

Why? Did Alan Menken pass away?

along with Joe Hisaishi, believe me. "Le lune brille pour toi" from "Le Petit Poucet" sung by Vanessa Paradis is a highlight from the score. He always writes some memorable song.

Anyway, John Williams isn't a good songwriter, that's true. Even his greatest effort so far ("For Always") is too simple. But well, he can't be perfect in everything :P

Peio, who doesn't consider Somewhere in My Memory a song.

I believe Mr. Johnson means it as music with English words put to it (In this case, that is).

Well, Morlock, thanks for the "Mr." !!!

And the songs I need don't necessary have to be English. I'd lke to have some titles of songs written by JW, english or not.

By the way, have JW written not-English songs?

Even his greatest effort so far ("For Always") is too simple.

I don't get why that's so popular. IMO it cheapens the great music from the film.

I think standing alone it's good, the lyrics are good, but I just don't like it in general when a song is just putting words to part of the score.

It does seem kind of pointless, especially since it never appeared in the film or credits (a good thing, actually), and never got any airplay on the radio. Plus the instrumental versions are of course better. Still, I enjoy it.

Ray Barnsbury

Roald wrote:

The film I'm refering to is The Prince Of Egypt. How the lyricist of some of Menken's work, Stephen Schwartz, came up with such poweful and classic songs is beyond me.

Roald - I don't know if you know this but Stephen Schwartz is a tremendously talented composer in his own right having written the broadway shows "Godspell", "Pippin", "Children of Eden", "The Baker's Wife" (my favorite), "The Magic Show" and, most recently, "Wicked" for which he received a Tony award nomination. He also wrote words and music for Disney's "Geppetto" starring Drew Carey.

It always amused me that he would take a job writing lyrics for Menken when he is every bit as talented at writing melody than Menken is. I guess it did open new doors for him and he has been quoted as saying he did like writing with Alan.

Anyways, just thought I would let you know in case you wanted to hear more of Schwartz's work.

Personally I feel Temple Of Doom could called a song though, since a lot of it is sung by a solo voice.

When does this happen?

Hector - who's always been listening to a one voice chorus in track Temple of Doom

Yeah, it's never a solo voice (unless in the movie where the guy's saying something like 'omnamchiba' or something like that).