Williams scores only 40 minutes for Hp Cos?

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/174/livi...c_movies+.shtml

The Boston week was a brief holiday from composing, a stopover between London, where he saw a rough cut of ''Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets,'' and Los Angeles, where he is now busy mapping out the score. Williams will compose about 40 minutes of the music, including all the new thematic material; William Ross will develop the themes for the full score

Who is William Ross? Regardless of how cool he may be, why should he DEVELOP Williams' music? Why on earth any body is assigned to do so? Is Harry Potter II gonna end up as an offshoot of the likes of Jurassic Park III - John's themes developed by someone else...?

Tell more whom this all makes sense to to cheer me up healthily......

:)

Yoda L.-(

We can only hope that Richard Dyer has misquoted John.

William Ross is a well know and fairly gifted orchestrator. He has some film compositions under his belt as well, but perhaps he will be the orchestrator for John.

Time will tell. The score was to be recorded in September with LSO.

Joe, who is now bleeding out of his eyes, ears, nose and mouth.

this is really, really, really, really bad...

WILLIAM ROSS WILL score Chamber Of Secrets....

AAAARRRGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Williams will only present about 40-minute of "concert work" matrerial...

Or did he just record that Sorcerer's Stone suite?

Bye,

Roald

WHAT?!?!?!? This is horrible news. How can I enjoy the movie if this is true? I will be waiting, hoping , and praying for some sort of denial of this report . . .

Ray Barnsbury

OK, now that my initial reaction has passed, I guess it's not that bad, if it is in fact true. At least it will be his themes. But still, I didn't really like how his themes were usd in JP III, and this would be similar. *sigh * :)

Ray Barnsbury-no longer hysterical, just disappointed

brings up the question to me, if Williams always writes AND orchestrates each note that is used in the film.

Since he doesn't use th ecomputer for that, it's a hell of a job.

Maybe he has used orchestrators before. As long as he has the final sya about it, and has to chance to change it, it's fine with me.

Hey, Williams is still doing 40 minutes worth, it's not all Ross :) He's just doing the rest.

I think its a great move. With Williams creating a primer, I think Ross will totally deliver. Not to mention Ross writes great scores to begin with :)

--Brian

www.moviemusic.com

Well, I don't know if this will work, but I have sent an email to Mr. Richard Dyer of the Boston Globe, asking for clarification. I told he that his article has started a firestorm in the JW, HP, and film music community.

Here's hoping he will reply.

Joe.

Ok, who was the smartass who said 2002 would be the best JW year in decades? Now he's jinxed the whole thing!!! :evil:

-ROSS, easing the pain by blaming somebody else

christ, this totally ruins everything... cos is the most anticipated upcoming works by williams in my eyes... and now they pull this crap...

christ, this totally ruins everything... cos is the most anticipated upcoming works by williams in my eyes... and now they pull this crap...

Indeed so. Didn't it finish third in a "most anticipated score of 2002" poll? Right after Attack of the Clones and The Two Towers. I can just see that line go down right now.

-- Marc, who wonders whether the Towner Knights will don armour for this... :lookaround:

Not me, i have better things to do.

40 minutes of new Harry Potter music by Williams, and the rest by a promesing up coming composer, sounds good to me.

Now if Don Davis were to compose the music, then i'd be suiting up right now. :)

Stefancos- still considering it an unconfirmed rumour.

Yes..I agree with Stefancos on this one. 40mins of Williams music is better than none. And William Ross is a great composer/ochestrator. He harks back to the complex orchestrations with hummable main themes. He should do very well with Harry Potter (if this rumour is in fact true.)

Jamesyboy - who loves William Ross' score for My Dog Skip

This is terrible.  I hope this is not true.

~Harry  :cry:  :cry:  :)  :(

It IS true. And I'm very disappointed too, but I'm sure that William Ross will do a great job.

oh. well. i think that they would have closely looked at who to choose. this is a BIG project. It's not some no name film. I think it will end up OK.

BUT WHAT WILL I TELL MY STUDENTS!

40 minutes of new Harry Potter music by Williams, and the rest by a promesing up coming composer, sounds good to me.

I agree. :)

Although disappointed that Williams won't be composing the full score, I will treasure the 40 minutes he does compose.

It's not like the forty minutes by Williams will be isolated or anything. That's partly what is so irritating, I'll always be thinking "Did this part of the score come from Williams' mind or Ross's? "

Ray Barnsbury

How about we all wait for the score to come out? To say you won't like something now before any of us have heard a note of it is ridiculous.

Neil - looking forward to Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (the film and the score)

I didn't say I wouldn't like it. . .I'm just disappointed and apprehensive.

But I will obviously get it none the same.

I have to agree with Harry Potter's view.

I am most disappointed since perhaps my mom told me some 20 yeasr ago I won't have any other siblings. I'm dead serious. All I want is pure, intact, from the heart coming music entirely done by John Williams. Considerations trying to appease us all downcast with statement that 40 minutes of music WILL be by Williams are "untrue" (although they are correct in fact) and misleading. John will only compose these 40 minutes of music to wholly serve as a raw material for William Ross to consecutively DEVELOP upon them (and for me it would be like DECONSTRUCT). The themes will be there to be heard, no doubt, but none of the music John will have composed will remain INTACT. Actually, there will be no single cue that would have remained untouched or something, just like John will have composed it. And that is even bringing tears in my eyes. Fairly. I just don't want it that way. Sorry, folks, I don't want this to happen but I know it will happen. Saddening? No, heart-breaking...for someone as dependent on John's music, like I am.

I don' say William Ross' work won't come off in the end (by the way MY FELLOW AMERICANS has some really great action music that at places sounds as if made by Goldsmith or Horner.). Perhaps he will succeed and it better be so. Anyway. What I wish to hear is nothing but John Williams' score, not for its quality that may surpass Williams Ross' skills, perhaps it wouldn't. But I want JW's score with all its assets and flaws. I know John makes "mistakes" occasionally. And I want them darn present in HP II, all in all they are his signature, his style that wouldn't be complete without them!

To those who try to stand up for William Ross saying that he might eventually pull out all the stops to achieve the best that is in him, I don't say he won't. But Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets will never be the same.... without John Williams involved completely in it. Sorry for the dark visions. Can't help.

:cry:

Yoda L.-(

I'm not entirely sure what to think of this situation. My initial reactions were shock and disappointment because I was most eager for this score.

Now that it's had time to sink in, while I'm still a little disappointed, I'm taking a wait and see attitude and hoping for the best. Some of my eagerness has been replaced with apprehension, but I will likely still buy the CD the day it's released. I would like more information on the extent of Ross' work on the score and how it came about. Did Williams hand-pick him, or was this a decision made by the producers? Was it simply a conflict in scheduling? The article is very vague in that regard.

It is a bad news taht John Williams will not score the entire movie.

It sounds like Superman or Jurassic Park III, when other composers try to compose as if they were John Williams.

This will denature John's work.

Is the reason that Ross is helping Williams, because he alone cannot write so much in 3,5 months?

If Ross is using the themes by Williams, which he probably develops in a month or 2, Ross has the same problem that he has to write everything else also in the remaining time. As long as Ross has to wait for Williams themes, there's no advantage that can be get. So then Ross should already have started too

I am not disappointed at all. In fact, I think that is a fine... if not the perfect way to go about it, IMO.

We still get 40 minutes of original Williams music and thematic material. And since I liked, but wasn't crazy about the 1st Potter, I'm not devastated.

Question is, what is he doing in this freed time? Taking a rest? Or other composing projects?

However, if Williams decided to do this with a Star Wars or Indiana Jones score, then I'd be EXTREMELY disappointed. To me, when all of his composing is said and done, and out of all the great scores he has done for us, those ones are his legacy.

Considering that Williams is composing 40 minutes worth of listening, I'm pretty sure that the soundtrack CD will be almost an all-John Williams affair. Surely he'll write some concert-rounded pieces and themes and maybe he will record it as a special symphonic suite. Williams Ross will probably tackle the more generic underscoring cues and he will be represented with two or three cuts on the CD.

Maurizio

--

I'm not entirely sure what to think of this situation.  My initial reactions were shock and disappointment because I was most eager for this score.  

Did Williams hand-pick him, or was this a decision made by the producers? Was it simply a conflict in scheduling? The article is very vague in that regard.

Maybe Chris Columbus was not 100% contented with what John composed for the first Harry Potter movie and feared to tell it to John when all was done or John himself simply might have reasoned out that it is no necessary for him to again put up with the spate of criticism he has had to endure after the first Harry Potter score was often spoken of as "lacking the essential magic". Perhaps William Ross is a hell of a wiz.

Maybe Chris Columbus was not 100% contented with what John composed for the first Harry Potter movie and feared to tell it to John when all was done or John himself simply might have reasoned out that it is no necessary for him to again put up with the spate of criticism he has had to endure after the first Harry Potter score was often spoken of as "lacking the essential magic". Perhaps William Ross is a hell of a wiz.

I thought people here knew that John Williams is the greatest movie composer ever. Nobody would want to replace him.

Developing themes means that they loved the themes, but John didn't have time for it. He says he has new themes and he trusts Ross, that's fine with me.

Look at the bright side- that gives him more time to do 'Catch me if you can'

It's not like the forty minutes by Williams will be isolated or anything. That's partly what is so irritating, I'll always be thinking "Did this part of the score come from Williams' mind or Ross's? "

Ray Barnsbury

When 2 composers work on something, the CD usually lists which composers did what :devil:

Yoda Longbottom, how do you know Williams is only doing the backbone of the score rather than the backbone being 40 minutes worth of scoring scenes?

Morn,

sure I don't know for sure. I wish I were darn wrong. You mean to say --if I understand you well-- that they will likely USE those 40 minutes of music John composes in the particular scenes in their original, intact form (without Ross' alternations)? I can't imagine how this would happen, but in the end this might be what they intend to do. Because this would mean that John is writing music for certain scenes to fit in the movie while other scenes, prevailing majority of them as to length of the movie, would be scored by material William Ross develops off John's themes and motifs? I think there would be a palpable dissonance between the parts composed by Williams and Ross. But I am not sure about it, as I've just said. Time will tell. Altogether, I don't think I would be happy about either of the events.

Well, tell me what you think might be intended to happen. I am not very clear about it, plus I am still cast down by both this news and that here in the Czech Republic they're not still selling Minority Report.

Yoda L.-)

Look at the bright side- that gives him more time to do 'Catch me if you can'

I haven't thought of it until now. But it's true. Except for "Always", which frankly is the only W/S score I don't hunt for, I just love all the scores John has composed ever since him and Steven teamed up.

I think that Williams is going to score the major parts of the film leaving Ross to full in the rest.

Strange... over on Moviemusic.com's message boards, there seems to be dancing in the aisles over this news...

I knew they would. If Elliot Goldenthal did Episode III there would be many people who would be VERY happy.

Justin -Who has this to say about those people..... :arrow: :devil:

Ironically, I will be praying that John won't outdo himself as to quality of

this discussed sequel score. Had he done so, I wouldn't wonder at seeing

Williams' haters coming out of nowhere screaming things like "Thank God

they hired someone to HELP the score being what it should have long had

to be..."

Still, I would have much preferred seeing --if anyone at all-- Danny

Elfman being involved in the process of "developing" thematical material

rather than William Ross' persona. I think Danny's style is closer to what

John has composed for Harry Potter. Besides, Danny can work wonders

with chorus and choir parts and is also very good at composing heartfelt

music and sad mini-adagios. He hasn't done much of it recently, chances

were scant, but scores such as Black Beauty, Somersby or many of the

first half of the 90's are really cool. Perhaps anyone of this big name

would have felt it somewhat degrading to work with material they haven't

created. But it's silly. Just a thought.

Oops, I pridefully considered it a good proffer... :roll:

Anyway, Morn, out of the living composers, who do you then think could carry out the uneasy task of building upon good Williams' standards? Well, I don't stick to Danny, but what I don't want to see coming from your keypad pen is Horner's name :devil:

I have no idea. I'm happy to see how it goes with Ross. I am still looking for the next huge talent to replace Goldsmith/Williams.

I have to say that I am not happy about this. I would much prefer him to not score catch me if you can which sounds like a generic score to me, and do Harry Potter. I loved the first score. It's one of my favorite scores. WHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHYWHY???????????????????????????????