which is a better score Terminal or POA?

JoeinAR

Which is the better score  

42 members have voted

1. 1.

• Terminal
    • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I was going for something covoluted that technicaly made sense. What I meant was- I think PoA is better. But The Terminal is also a great score, and isn't too far from being as good as PoA, unlike what many people seem to assume (that PoA is of an entirely different class).

Ah kk - so I wasn't so lost then :music:

I do prefer PoA too - but I am biased

You could be biased if on your trip back to Canada there is a coup there and you won't be able to leave the airport terminal. :)

Neil

I don't have The Terminal soundtrack yet, so I can't participate in this poll. But aren't you asking us to compare apples and oranges ... on a Potter message board :music: ?

----------------

Alex Cremers

so what do you think is the best

I think our value system is oversimplified.

PoA is in my opinion one of William's classic scores- an incredible highlight of his entire life's work to date. Just because T (or what exactly is the new abbreviation?) doesn't fall into that category doesn't mean it isn't the best score for the film.

If I could push a button that dispensed a PoA-like score for Terminal, I wouldn't do it. It wouldn't fit.

POA is beautiful. I'm not crazy about the album however. I think that the Knight Bus works well in the film, but is unlistenable. Mischief Managed is a waste of space.

I'm fond of The Terminal and prefer the choices made on the cd over those of POA.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, though The Terminal is very nice. Hey look, the majority of voters are suffering from immaturity!

Ray Barnsbury

I basically agree with nja's post. I suppose people inevitablypick the soundtrack that they like to listen to the most. On those grounds, I would pick POA. The movie provided the opportunity for a richer and more varied score on the whole. But I'll be listening to both a lot.

- Adam

POA is beautiful.  I'm not crazy about the album however.  I think that the Knight Bus works well in the film, but is unlistenable.  Mischief Managed is a waste of space.  

I haven't heard The Terminal yet, but I have this to say: if you think Mischief Managed is a waste of space, you should listen to it again because it has a "listenable" version of "The Knight Bus." (None of the quiet, slow-motion bits).

SeekUYoda, who thinks "The Knight Bus" is listenable.

"The Knight Bus" is listenable.

Yes, a very energetic piece. I never heard Williams compose something like this before.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Now that I finally have The Terminal I can participate in this poll. :)

I agree with the comments that each score is effective and appropriate for the two very different films for which they were written. For pure listening pleasure, I have to go with The Terminal.

Kathy

I don't have The Terminal soundtrack yet, so I can't participate in this poll. But aren't you asking us to compare apples and oranges ... on a Potter message board  :) ?

----------------

Alex Cremers

this isn't a Potter message board, but just to help the Terminal out, I put it first,

And it does have 6 votes. More than it deserves.

Not that it's a bad score just PoA is clearly better. :)

Justin

Yes,PoA is a classic Williams score,especially considering the unreleased music.The album could have been much better,but it still gets my vote.

k.M.

The Terminal has 7 votes? That is 7 more than I expected for this score. The score works good with the movie, but its NOWHERE near the score POA is.

The Terminal has 7 votes? That is 7 more than I expected for this score. The score works good with the movie, but its NOWHERE near the score POA is.

I didn't realize that was a fact.

Neil

I agree with the comments that each score is effective and appropriate for the two very different films for which they were written.

So here we have two totally different breeds of scores composed in a nearly side-by-side schedule. I haven't heard the Terminal yet, but did JW show the same craftsmanship this year like he did in 1993 (Jurassic Park/Schindler's List) and 1999 (TPM/Angela's Ashes)? And when exactly were Heartbeeps composed? Did they collide with composing schedules of E.T., as they are two scores --again-- that are totally different?

Roman.-)

Well, although this is not one JW's wonder years like 93' or 99', certainly there is tremendous craftsmanship to create two scores that are 100% different.

Well, although this is not one JW's wonder years like 93' or 99', certainly there is tremendous craftsmanship to create two scores that are 100% different.

Those are his "wonder years"???

No offense, but to think that those years show the range of Williams better than 1977 when he wrote Star Wars and Close Encounters of the Third Kind only months apart is ludicrous. Both of those scores are true undeniable masterpieces of the genre and show the incredible range of Williams. His scores in 1993 and 1999 are good, but will probably not stand the test of time as well as Star Wars and Close Encounters.

Neil

Those are his "wonder years"???

No offense, but to think that those years show the range of Williams better than 1977 when he wrote Star Wars and Close Encounters of the Third Kind only months apart is ludicrous. Both of those scores are true undeniable masterpieces of the genre and show the incredible range of Williams. His scores in 1993 and 1999 are good, but will probably not stand the test of time as well as Star Wars and Close Encounters.

The range? 93' shows that much better IMO. There is not the slightest resemblance in anything. And both of those scores are of course undeniable masterpieces fo the genre, but so are the two from 93'.

And IMO all four scores from those 2 years are absolute masterpieces. I think SL will stand the test of time just as well as the 77' scores, and personaly I like it more than the other two.

But also, although I have great admiration for the CE3K score, I must admit it's not one of my favorites (like the film). Maybe if I loved the score as much as most do, I'd think differantly. And IMO Star Wars, though a huge achievment, is not as good the other two.

77' is undeniably a wonder year, I just didn't mention it because I was going for recent examples. I personaly can't think of another film composer who had as good a year as Williams in 77', 93' or 99'.

Why? there are many people who like JP and SL better. It could just be because I think that ESB is so much better, or because I'm not the biggest fan of the movies, but it's not that ridicules. And the way you quote it misrepresents it. The IMO is a big part of that sentence.

And the way you quote it misrepresents it. The IMO is a big part of that sentence.

Not at all. Everything anyone posts here (outside of news reports) is an opinion, thus the term "IMO" is superfluous, unless you were posting someone else's opinion. Were you?

Neil

Well, often when someone writes someone as fact without clearly stating that it's his opinion he gets flamed. I like to stay on the safe side of things.

Everything anyone posts here is an opinion, thus the term "IMO" is superfluous, unless you were posting someone else's opinion.  Were you?

Hopefully. Other wise he'd have no credibility.... :mrgreen:

Justin

I find the Terminal much more listenable than Potter 3. Maybe it's because I studied jazz aranging/composition in university or that having scored some small films I know it's much harder to write music for comedy/drama than a summer blockbuster action film. Whatever. Regardless, I'm continally amazed at how non-receptive film score afficianados are when it comes to jazz. These are the same people who proport to have more "elevated" tastes in music yet mostly dismiss this form whenever it's integrated into a film score context. Why is that?

I find Amelia's Theme to be one of the most haunting, emotive melodies that Williams has written. It reminds me of Mancini's writing a little. and his choice of chord progressions for this theme are great. I'm going to sit down and transcribe it later on tonight. Lots of suspensions in the harmonies. There's a real longing in the music.

POA to me is overly frenetic and a little noisy. Probably works amazingly in the film context but I agree with some others here who say that Williams' choice of cues is better on The Terminal soundtrack. "Window to the Past" is really the only enduring track of interest in my books. And please note that i said "MY BOOKS" meaning this is my opinion of which I'm entitled to.

Everything anyone posts here (outside of news reports) is an opinion, thus the term "IMO" is superfluous, unless you were posting someone else's opinion.  Were you?

I find the Terminal much more listenable than Potter 3.  Maybe it's because I studied jazz aranging/composition in university or that having scored some small films I know it's much harder to write music for comedy/drama than a summer blockbuster action film.  Whatever.  Regardless, I'm continally amazed at how non-receptive film score afficianados are when it comes to jazz.  These are the same people who proport to have more "elevated" tastes in music yet mostly dismiss this form whenever it's integrated into a film score context.  Why is that?

I find Amelia's Theme to be one of the most haunting, emotive melodies that Williams has written.  It reminds me of Mancini's writing a little.  and his choice of chord progressions for this theme are great.  I'm going to sit down and transcribe it later on tonight.  Lots of suspensions in the harmonies.  There's a real longing in the music.  

POA to me is overly frenetic and a little noisy.  Probably works amazingly in the film context but I agree with some others here who say that Williams' choice of cues is better on The Terminal soundtrack.  "Window to the Past" is really the only enduring track of interest in my books.  And please note that i said "MY BOOKS" meaning this is my opinion of which I'm entitled to.

And one that I completely agree with, even though I don't have your knowledge of music. :mrgreen:

So here we have two totally different breeds of scores composed in a nearly side-by-side schedule. I haven't heard the Terminal yet, but did JW show the same craftsmanship this year like he did in 1993 (Jurassic Park/Schindler's List) and 1999 (TPM/Angela's Ashes)? And when exactly were Heartbeeps composed? Did they collide with composing schedules of E.T., as they are two scores --again-- that are totally different?

Just think of the variety of styles Williams incorporated into POA. It has some very wonderful music indeed, and it certainly is a virtuoso display of Williams' skill in writing different styles and conveying different emotions (from a parody of a classical waltz, 40's swing/cantina band music, Jane Eyre-like lyrical beauty, a medieval horn fanfare, standard chase/action cues, highly percussive tracks, music displaying the passage of time with ticking clocks, a Macbeth based song to wordless female choirs). It just doesn't come together as a cohesive package (for me). The mood and style can change so completely from one track to the next that I'm finding it hard to really relax and enjoy the disc as a whole.

On the other hand, The Terminal works so much better for me in that regard. I can sit and listen from beginning to end, enjoying the nuanced changes to the main theme as it reappears periodically, and savor the mood the music creates and builds throughout the disc. If you like the sound of Eastern European music with the inclusion of clarinet, accordion and piano (on some tracks), classic Williams Americana and music reminiscent of "The Float" from CMIYC then I think you will really enjoy it too.

Kathy

Just think of the variety of styles Williams incorporated into POA.  It has some very wonderful music indeed, and it certainly is a virtuoso display of Williams' skill in writing different styles and conveying different emotions . . .  It just doesn't come together as a cohesive package (for me).  The mood and style can change so completely from one track to the next that I'm finding it hard to really relax and enjoy the disc as a whole.

On the other hand, The Terminal works so much better for me in that regard.  I can sit and listen from beginning to end, enjoying the nuanced changes to the main theme as it reappears periodically . . .

Hence some of the difficulty in deciding which is "a better" score. I would consider the range of styles the primary strength of PoA. That isn't always going to make for the best listening experience.

Of course, the number one criteria would be how well the music works with the film- after that, the good/ better judgements get really tricky.

I didn't realize that was a fact.

Neil

Well its not actually. However, since I said it I think it should be. ROTFLMAO

It's hard to say, really. I don't own The Terminal yet, but I really enjoy listening to the POA score. And I enjoyed it more when I heard it in the film than when I heard The Terminal. But I think The Terminal is the more masterful score, in terms of his intellectual grasp on world music and the breadth of styles available. It wasn't designed to stick out from the film in the way that the POA score calls attention to itself sometimes - in a good way... you couldn't have Buckbeak flying around without that lovely theme engulfing you - but I don't think it's a lesser score as a result.

So, I will say that The Terminal is the better score in the intellectual sense, but I like POA better. My vote goes to The Terminal.

I love the Terminal score it's great, and matches but does not pass Catch Me If You Can. But when staked up against a score like Poa which is much more complex and intense, it's no where near as good.

one vote for The Terminal

I find Amelia's Theme to be one of the most haunting, emotive melodies that Williams has written. It reminds me of Mancini's writing a little. and his choice of chord progressions for this theme are great.

I AGREE. The best theme he's written in years. beautiful and complex harmony

I'm still trying to figure out where Amelia's theme is on the soundtrack.

Some good places to hear it (though there are several more):

"Dinner with Amelia"

7:19 on piano

"Viktor and His Friends"

2:48 beginning on piano

All of "Jazz Autographs"

"A Happy Navorski Ending!"

1:14 on strings

I really like this theme too. My favorite part of the score however is becoming the jaunty little piece that comprises the first halves of "The Wedding of Officer Torres" and "Looking for Work." I just love it, it's similar to CMIYC but better.

Ray Barnsbury

The Terminal has a place of honor in my collection. JW's best comedy score ever, and best romantic score since Pete & Tilly (and it's much better than that).

I love PoA, and as a score, probably more than The Terminal (I'm not so sure any more), but IMO TT is a more unique Williams work, stands out more in his career.

77' is undeniably a wonder year, I just didn't mention it because I was going for recent examples. I personaly can't think of another film composer who had as good a year as Williams in 77', 93' or 99'.

I'd say '01 was a pretty good year, too, what with AI and Harry Potter.

My favorite part of the score however is becoming the jaunty little piece that comprises the first halves of "The Wedding of Officer Torres" and "Looking for Work."  I just love it, it's similar to CMIYC but better

Me too.

K.M.

• 8 months later...

I just heard Terminal for the first time. It's a great score ande much better than CMIYC. I think next year the Academy cannot pass Williams again for this one.