I'm about to 'resign' as John Williams fanatic...

Sandor

This whole Chamber Of Secrets sh*t really makes me sick. Sorry. If Williams can't score this film anymore, than I see no point in continuing my love for film music.

This is THE decline of one of the last great arts.

Mark my words.

Williams will set the tone; only compose the themes, some music and let some second rate William 'The Evening Star' Ross composer wrap it up.

It's really horrible.

I guess Williams learned from Attack Of The Clones.

Bye,

Roald

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is hardly a new trend, it's been done with films like Dante's Peak (J.N. Howard, John Frizzell), Wing Commander (David Arnold, Kevin Kiner), Army Of Darkness(Elfman, Deluca) Superman IV (Williams, Courage) and numerous others.

Perhaps Williams very hectic schedule does not allow for him to compose the full score, yet he wanted to be a part of it anyway.

A little Williams is better then non at all.

And perhaps non of it is true.

Get a grip please.

Stefancos- :roll:

This could be an error. Or perhaps Williams schedule to score Catch Me If You Can ended up conflicting with HP and I'm sure his loyalty lies more with Speilberg. Another possibility is Williams wants to give someone a chance to break into scoring films. Or the last thought and I apologize for this but after watching the first HP film I came away un-impressed and maybe Williams feels the same way after viewing a the rough cut of the sequel.

40 mins of Williams is 10 times better than the 35-45 mins of what most score albums from other composers contain these days. No need to get that upset about it.

40 minute is better than nothing.

Roald we must look at it as if the glass is half full, not half empty.

Joe, still bleeding though.

Well i always thought Williams will not score ALL 7 Harry Potter movies. But making the themes and passing them to another person is better than the 'another person' making them.

This is hardly a new trend, it's been done with films like Dante's Peak (J.N. Howard, John Frizzell), Wing Commander (David Arnold, Kevin Kiner), Army Of Darkness(Elfman, Deluca) Superman IV (Williams, Courage) and numerous others.

I've read that Cutthroat Island is like this too, from themes etc by Arnold.

But is Spielberg is still on to do the third one, he will be in again I think.

Spielberg is not associated with Harry Potter in anyway. And he needs to stay away from it.

I thought that he said he was interested to film part III, but I can be wrong...

I dunno then. Maybe the 3rd book is more complex, and then a challenge for him? Could be... Interesting...

Spielberg has said that he rejected HP because it was not a challenge for him. Spider-man was rejected by him too with the same.

Speilberg was suppowed to do Spider-Man? :)

Justin -Stunned..... :)

Nope... all of the music in CutThroat was composed by John Debney including all of the themes. Arnold wrote some demo material but none of it saw the light of day. Actually, if you want to hear what Arnold's CutThroat Theme was going to sound like listen to Russell Casse's (Randy Quaid) theme during the "Cropduster" cue in Independence Day. That was Arnold's CutThroat theme transplaneted into ID4. A very reliable source close to Arnold told me that.

-Erik-

:) LILO AND STITCH

Nope... all of the music in CutThroat was composed by John Debney including all of the themes. Arnold wrote some demo material but none of it saw the light of day. Actually, if you want to hear what Arnold's CutThroat Theme was going to sound like listen to Russell Casse's (Randy Quaid) theme during the "Cropduster" cue in Independence Day. That was Arnold's CutThroat theme transplaneted into ID4. A very reliable source close to Arnold told me that.

-Erik-

:) LILO AND STITCH

My source is someone that knows players in the orchestra that performed the score, they say that Debney used parts of the Arnold score.

Btw, i didn't know you knew someone who kows someone from the LSO.

Stefancos-  surprised.

So he could ask him something about the AOTC scoring sessions!! Morn, discover the truth! :) The JW community will be grateful to you!

About all this Harry Potter/Williams Ross fuss... I think it has to do with a conflicting schedule problem. In the Dyer interview, Williams said also that he began composing the score even though the movie is STILL on the filming stage. Probably, he wants to dedicate more time to the new Spielberg film and to his concert works. And if Williams has not a problem about giving to someone else the main scoring duties, I think the situation is under control.

Maurizio

--

Roald, I understand your sadness. I'm a little upset by the fact that Williams is ending his Harry Potter involvement, but I probably would have felt the same way if I was of a mature age when it was announced he was backing out of Superman III. "I hate Williams!" I would have said. "He doesn't deserve to be a part of my film music collection ever again!"

And then something like Return of the Jedi comes out the same year, followed by Temple of Doom and the River the following year. a major apology for my rebuke of my fan club membership would have followed.

What I'm trying to say, Roald, is that the loss of Harry Potter isn't the end of the world. There's Episode III in three years, for example. I have a feeling Williams will compose something for Catch Me If You Can or Episode II (or anything he has lined up in between those) that will have you coming back.

Jeff -- who will never submit such a resignation

Do you think Williams will conduct the score for Chamber of Secrets? It's going to be performed by the London Symphony Orchestra.

I do not think that Williams has control of how many minutes he composes. They ASK him to compose a certain amount, then he does it plus some extra. Then they choose what they want to put in the movie. Maybe we should start a Harry Potter Petition.

Billybobab

Roald, why must you always focus on the negative?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

Whoo Figo, I'm sorry, you really had me going there....

I mean, seriously, how do come up with those GREAT lines?

Bye,

Roald, The Snob

Roald, you must post more often. You're input is needed more often, and missed.

Joe

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

Sorry, Roald. I had to edit your post. It made extremely difficult to read the other messages.

Do you think Williams will conduct the score for Chamber of Secrets? It's going to be performed by the London Symphony Orchestra.

This has never been confirmed officially. It was reported by Dark Horizons a couple of months ago, without citing any source. I take it as a rumor, and I bet it's not true.

And I'm 99% sure that William Ross will conduct the music.

I hope this whole Ross thing is just a stupid rumor gone awry. I wouldn't be as upset if Ross were merely conducting it, but actually composing the music?!? Granted, Williams deserves a break, but I was really looking forward to the next Potter. I'm sure if Williams does the whole thing, he'll put a new spin on it just has he's done for all his sequel scores (ESB, Lost World, TOD, AOTC) I was alos hoping for expanded thematic material. 40 minutes is ok, but which 40 minutes will he decide to score? How's the album going to play out? 40 minutes of Williams, and roughly 30 of Ross? Is this going to be an Air Force One type effort?

I hope this whole Ross thing is just a stupid rumor gone awry.  

I insist, it's not a rumor. Otherwise I would have treated it as such (as I did with the LSO report, which didn't make it to the Latest News section).

Personally, I couldn't care less about Williams doing another 'Potter' - he's been there, did a good job on #1, done that. I'd have preferred a completely new challenge on The Hulk.

But I am annoyed that he's doing it half assed, if it turns out to be true. He'd be better just leaving it be in my opinion.

McD, who thinks that AOTC is the worst Williams score in years, and hasn't heard Minority Report.

Spielberg has said that he rejected HP because it was not a challenge for him. Spider-man was rejected by him too with the same.

Speilberg was suppowed to do Spider-Man? :devil:

Justin -Stunned..... 8O

I don't think there is a script in Hollywood that Spielberg doesn't get first look at.

Neil

I've even talked to someone on the internet who performed as choir in SPR :devil:

He or she performed as the WHOLE choir?? Pretty impressing 8O

About the Spielberg- HP3 deal.

Spielberg said in an interview a couple of months back that he was offered to direct just about every big box office hit in the past two years- LoTR, Spiderman, the grinch, HP, and many more.

He regected LoTR because he was not exactly a Tolkein fan, and the movie should be made by one. Also it's too time consuming.

The Grinch he didn't do because at the time he was developing MR and was working hard on A.I.

The last two he regected because they weren't challenging. He would be directing two 100% sure box office hits, which means it would not matter how good or bad the movie is, still millions of kids would see them.

He said he was debating, if Columbus backed away, whether to direct HP 3, because it was a much darker book, and he could connect to it.

I personaly think he could do a great job- he's great with children and has already worked with some of the adult cast before.

I am 100% sure that john would be te sole composer on that movie, if it was to occur.

Couldn't be possible that Williams sees in Ross a successor? That he wants to give him a chance? That Williams is a kind of mentor to Ross?

Sorry for the double post....

Actually I'm more a HP fan than an Williams fan, so if the score is good, I don't care who has written it. The problem is that if Williams write a score, I know it's good, I don't know that with Ross...

He regected LoTR because he was not exactly a Tolkein fan, and the movie should be made by one. Also it's too time consuming.

Shame he did. I would have liked it more. You know, ILM special effects, John Williams music (who would have won the oscar in that year??) and people not comparing it with Star Wars, what is annoying.

Shame he did. I would have liked it more.

Why? It had to be done by a Tolkien fan. I've read the books 9 times so far, and I'm still only beginning to discover how it all works. It's not just one novel, it's connected with everything Tolkien has written. You have to know and understand that all before you can make a movie out of it.

You know, ILM special effects,

I don't know one effect in the whole movie that's inferior to any ILM effect I've seen.

John Williams music (who would have won the oscar in that year??)

John Williams would have overscored the film. In addition, I don't know if he's read the novel, but if he hasn't (and we all know he doesn't read scripts), there is no way he would have come up with a score that does the whole thing justice (assuming he'd started with the first film without knowing what happens in the second and third). Even if he knew the story - it's clear that Shore did a lot of research. I've said it before - I doubt that ANY other composer would have written a score that's as appropriate and as Tolkien in the way it works as Shore's.

and people not comparing it with Star Wars, what is annoying.

Why would people not have done that in that case?

I'm still worried about that Ross business... :cry:

Marian - who knows someone who says that the FOTR score is a cheap Williams copy, when in fact it's about as different from Williams as an epic score can be.

You seriously underestimate John Williams.

None of us know how John would have scored LOTR.

John chose to score the modern classis HP instead and did as well as Shore did on LOTR, and IMHO he did better.

You love LOTR so your opinion is based on that.

Your devotion to Tolkien is admirable, but to score the films, one would not need read those books, just like viewing the film one does not need to read the books.

Spielberg said in an interview a couple of months back that he was offered to direct just about every big box office hit in the past two years- LoTR, Spiderman, the grinch, HP, and many more.  

The Grinch he didn't do because at the time he was developing MR and was working hard on A.I.

The last two he regected because they weren't challenging. He would be directing two 100% sure box office hits, which means it would not matter how good or bad the movie is, still millions of kids would see them.

He said he was debating, if Columbus backed away, whether to direct HP 3, because it was a much darker book, and he could connect to it.

I personaly think he could do a great job- he's great with children and has already worked with some of the adult cast before.

I am 100% sure that john would be te sole composer on that movie, if it was to occur.

Oooooooooo. This is good news! Spielberg would do well with #3 since it is very dark. I think he could have much fun with this project!

~Harry, who has Steve down for 2 projects now :)

:?

Roald? Is that you?

:)

-Chris, who doesn't understand the sorrow over this issue... I'd rather hear him do something else anyway... a horror film with gobs of action or something... LOL (Not that he will, I'm just wishing....)