What Williams CD do you listen to the most?

Over the years, what JW album have you listened to the most?

What do you listen to the most nowadays?

What bit of Williams greatness has found its way into your CD player, iPod, record player, etc, more than any other?

For me, the most listened to will always be the Star Wars Original Trilogy Special Editions. They were my first, and for a long time only JW CDs. As my collection has grown the last few years I try to listen to everything evenly, but I think all 5 SW scores are still ahead.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the years, what JW album have you listened to the most?

Saving Ryan's Priv.... errr Saving Private Ryan

What do you listen to the most nowadays?

Kikujiro's Summer?

By Williams, Last Crusade is always in my player.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban at the moment, but only the Star Wars soundtracks really stand the test of time.

only the Star Wars soundtracks really stand the test of time.

Yeah, that Jaws thing is just a fad. Indiana Jones? Forgettable!! And who even knows Superman or E.T. anymore?

Neil

I usually make playlists, almost like making a concert programme. I rarely put on the soundtrack CDs. When I get to hear a soundtrack CD it's to get to hear all the different variations of the theme, and other themes I don't hear often.

Yeah, that Jaws thing is just a fad. Indiana Jones? Forgettable!! And who even knows Superman or E.T. anymore?

Okay, the phrasing there was not great. What I really meant was that I listen to Star Wars (the series, not just the one film) MOST, but the aforementioned soundtracks are great as well.

only the Star Wars soundtracks really stand the test of time.

Neil

Sarcasm? from Neil? Well, I never would've guessed that!

I jump around a lot, and new releases are always toward the top of the list.

Ray Barnsbury

I would have to agree w/ Ray the newest one is always at the top of my list. However, I always find myself coming back to older ones like the Patriot, JP (all of them), ET, and Jaws.

Yes, some like to make people feel uncomfortable being here.

Not at all. If only the Star Wars scores were timeless this board probably wouldn't exist or we'd look a lot like this. Clearly the popular opinion here is that there is a good portion of Williams' music that has stood the test of time, beyond Star Wars. I would think you would agree with that.

Neil

you seem to be a very sensitive person, moreso than most.

as for the topic, I listen to the newest one, then a mix of Lost World, Star Wars, ET, Jaws, you know the real greats.

Lost World..... you know the real greats.

Wow, i would have never thought you could say that.

Seems you are not the nutshell-purist ( :devil: ) you seem to show us. And you dont like even Anderton's Geat Escape from MR?!

Yes but this site was creaty because the music from the Phantom Menace...so :devil:

But it evolved, since Williams' music holds up so well.

Neil

I know, it just like you tend to forget that part in the boards life

I never forget it. It's how I found the site. I still have the CD I made from clips released here. What makes you think I forgot that? You should read this.

Neil - who also remembers IndyMusic

Did you really thought i didnt know you were an old man from a more civilized era?

I'm young and i like the Prequels but im not that unculturised

And well, dont deny you dont mention it very much... ;)

Why isnt it posting Mp3 disponible anyway? As long as there are not OST material and 128 kbps mp3 it should be fine...

I mean, there are JW scores that will never get a legit release, why is it illegal to wink a site where to download it :devil:

That's debatable. ;)

And well, dont deny you dont mention it very much... ;)

It doesn't come up often. What's the point?

Why isnt it posting Mp3 disponible anyway? As long as there are not OST material and 128 kbps mp3 it should be fine...

I mean, there are JW scores that will never get a legit release, why is it illegal to wink a site where to download it :devil:

I'd prefer AAC's but since I don't want to see this site shut down by the RIAA, I guess we should play by their rules. There are plenty of other ways to get the music.

Neil

Not at all. If only the Star Wars scores were timeless this board probably wouldn't exist or we'd look a lot like this.

Neil

You must be a hard mashoquist if you look into those forums :devil:

There was a guy that thought Williams had scored and RECORDED the AOC battle with compositions from TPM without orchestrating! And was angry for that...

If he knew the truth...

That's debatable. ;)

And well, dont deny you dont mention it very much... :P

It doesn't come up often. What's the point?

I'd prefer AAC's but since I don't want to see this site shut down by the RIAA, I guess we should play by their rules. There are plenty of other ways to get the music.

Neil

1- I knew that coming ;)

2- Yeah but they are not as easy or as quick...

Bah, John Williams should come here, say his hellos and throws us all the master tapes from his scores, like if the guy needed more emoney! ;)

Not at all. If only the Star Wars scores were timeless this board probably wouldn't exist or we'd look a lot like this.

Neil

You must be a hard mashoquist if you look into those forums :devil:

Hey, Strilo is a moderator there! Of course I visit.

Yeah but they are not as easy or as quick...

Just as easy to use and sound better. I didn't know you could rate file types by their ease of use, anyway. Do you have to quadruple click AAC files and only double click mp3 files?

Neil

Returning to the topic.... I'd pick the SW SEs, too - not because they're the most timeless or classic or anything, but just because I like them the most! :devil:

I'd never been to the TFN music board before I clicked on Neil's link up there.... yikes. ;)

And I just bought the Superman score yesterday (not the extended release - the OST) - wow! I'd never heard this before either and it's outstanding. ;) A new treasure!

I don't know if I can take all the excitement - 3 new scores (POA, Terminal, and Superman - new to me) in about 3 weeks!

I just bought the Superman score yesterday (not the extended release - the OST) - wow!  I'd never heard this before either and it's outstanding.   :devil: A new treasure!

Half a treasure. Now go out and get the Rhino full score album.

Neil - who listens to Jaws 2 a lot

Half a treasure.  Now go out and get the Rhino full score album.

Well, the OST contains most of the theme and is a fair representation of the score. I'd say it's a very good first approach to it.

Actually, if it were not for "The Helicopter Rescue", the Rhino album would not be strictly necessary to appreciate and love Superman. Some people (although not really me) even consider it "too much" to listen in one sitting.

-Ross, fan of the OST nonetheless.

Well, I was in a secondhand CD store looking for JFK, actually, and found this instead. I'll get the full score too when my birthday rolls around, but I found this for cheap in the meantime and I had to share my exuberance! :devil:

Well, I was in a secondhand CD store looking for JFK, actually, and found this instead.  I'll get the full score too when my birthday rolls around, but I found this for cheap in the meantime and I had to share my exuberance! :devil:

Oh no doubt. It's a fantastic score, one of Williams' best and that original album kept me satisifed for years, though even when I got it I knew a huge chunk was missing. In the meantime, enjoy listening to one of Johnny's clear masterpieces.

Neil

"Minority Report," "The Empire Strikes Back" and "AI" are always at the top.

Since I really only listen to music in my car, those make for good driving music.

They aren't necessarily the best CDs I own, I just prefer to hear them while driving.

Jeff -- listening to music at work today

I will. I love the how similar the style is to ANH - I had no idea what to expect except that almost everyone thinks it's magnificent. (and it is!)

ESB, A.I. and Jurassic Park and Raiders for me.

For some reason A.I. allows my mind to focus better than with other music.

For some reason A.I. allows my mind to focus better than with other music.

Yes. If I can't be in complete silence when studying, I always tend to listen to the same "studying music": Saving Private Ryan (best there is), AI (CD 1 when you put the promo in chrono order), Band of Brothers and Seven Years in Tibet.

Yes. If I can't be in complete silence when studying, I always tend to listen to the same "studying music":

You know, I didn't ever study well unless it was in complete silence either. If I had Williams on, and I wasn't working on a Williams-related project, it would just distract me and I'd wind up listening and not working. So my study music had to be pop-ish - something I could tune out. If I had Williams on, or anything classical, I'd be riveted by it!

Yes. If I can't be in complete silence when studying, I always tend to listen to the same "studying music":

You know, I didn't ever study well unless it was in complete silence either. If I had Williams on, and I wasn't working on a Williams-related project, it would just distract me and I'd wind up listening and not working. So my study music had to be pop-ish - something I could tune out. If I had Williams on, or anything classical, I'd be riveted by it!

I never could study listening to Williams. I'd be spending too much time listening to the music. I've always studied better in silence.

Lately I've been listening to The Terminal alot, but Jane Eyre, E.T. , Angela's Ashes, Star Wars and Last Crusade are never too far away from my CD player. If you throw in the concert works though, I've made a compilation set of all the officially released works and listen to that probably more than the soundtracks.

Kathy

Right now it's a cross between Eiger Sanction, Raiders, and the Peter and The Wolf & The Nutcracker Suite BPO CD.