Does anybody ENJOY Star Wars anymore?

I don't know the last time I saw a positive remark about Star Wars. All I've seen are people whining about how good the movie was before American Graffiti was made.

Nickel's worth of free advice: just watch the damn movie and shut the hell up.

You think Lucas should bow down and restore the movie to the way YOU like it? You buttholes. You're griping because he's changed things here and there, thus totally altering and ruining a movie that you used to love and enjoy, even though...IT'S THE SAME FRICKIN MOVIE. SW and ANH don't resemble each other anymore. You know why? Because they ARE each other. They were never different. Okay, so maybe ANH has more words in the title crawl, but what bearing does that have on the rest of the movie--the part that made you like the trilogy in the first place? I mean, I really doubt you were satisfied with SW after you saw only the title crawl the first time and none of the Star Destroyer attack on the blockade runner. As for Special Edition, I kinda sympathize to an extent. The stuff does look a little crappy, and I would like some of the old stuff restored, but it's still the same movie. Still has the same plot and the same music and the same characters and the same ending. So what's the problem?

If you ask me, you're pretty messed up for having a heart attack over minor details when the larger ones still remain the same.

THX... You just don't get it do you?

Star Wars for those of us lucky enough to have seen it in 1977, was far more than a movie. It was a cultual phenomenon. It is ingrained in my memory as an important part of the way that I grew up. I saw Star Wars 65 times in the theatre. That's how important it was to me.

When Lucas started messing with it, he changed an important part of my Childhood... You didn't experience this, so you cannot EVER understand the emotional impact this has... I saw a wonderful film called STAR WARS in 1977... I saw a not as stunning, watered down version called A New Hope later on... Sorry, it is something you will never get... So don't try...

newhope.jpg

This is the movie poster I remember...

Nickel's worth of free advice: just watch the damn movie and shut the hell up.

here is another bit of advise, why don't you shut the F@#$ up. Take your hissy fit someplace else. Your shit stinks, and I personally don't like the smell.

want some more?, Star Wars came out after American Grafitti, not the other way around.

for your information I loved Star Wars long before there was a trilogy, before there was sequel talk, before ANH ever crawled down the screen. If I don't like the ANH crap, its because thats MY RIGHT, if you don't like it

too bad.

I don't care for Star Wars other than the music. I grew up watching Superman

Superman changed a lot when it came out on DVD. Yet, it's still held as high as ever and Donner's still spoken of fairly highly here.

Star Wars for those of us lucky enough to have seen it in 1977, was far more than a movie. It was a cultual phenomenon. It is ingrained in my memory as an important part of the way that I grew up. I saw Star Wars 65 times in the theatre. That's how important it was to me.

Are you making fun of people who say this kind of stuff on those AFI shows or is this for real?

'THX1138' seems to be having problems with forum rule #1. (Neil, take note!)

Nah, it's cool. I'm just hoping to stir up some discussion about how people should quit griping about the differences between SW and ANH and look at how they're similar, instead. I really do believe this will make the world a better place. But if banning pleases everyone, I have no problem with that. I am self-confident in my belief that ANH and SW are the same movie and that they are still capable of being enjoyed, despite what even the SE has done and probably what the DVD will do. Do I need others to prove me right? Absolutely not, for I will enjoy them regardless. I would encourage everyone else to, as well.

Geeeez! A Lucas defender? Truly one of a dying breed here.

Well I am not going to bother getting into an argument. Lucas's decisions suck and that is ALL! For me at least. Life is too short to get into arguments over what Lucas does to his movies.

EXACTLY ALEX!

We wouldn't be so mad at Lucas if he would just do the right thing and give us the original version we've been asking him for.

What would so wrong with that? Must Lucas be such as asshole he cannot give us the theatrical versions without betraying his so-called "vision"?

Big Ken Little wrote:

Are you making fun of people who say this kind of stuff on those AFI shows or is this for real?  

boy are you slow. you don't get it, don't want to get it. You just want to piss off the old folk. You did what you wanted.

I saw a wonderful film called STAR WARS in 1977... I saw a not as stunning, watered down version called A New Hope later on...

Watered down? Just because it added more words to the title crawl?

He's right. Star Wars started to be diluted when Lucas started shoe horning it to fit in with the rest of the films. The title change was the beginning of the end, and now the film no longer resembles what people saw in 1977. So much for film preservation.

The addition of the chapter marker and the new title robbed some of the magic of Star Wars. Star Wars is a really great abstract title for a film. It completely evokes the essence of what the film is, without saying a thing. Now after Episode III, which hypothetically lets call "The Fall of the Jedi", we have a movie called "A New Hope". You see how this all fits together and now just makes Star Wars just another piece of the puzzle? It completely takes away anything unique it once might have offered.

And to make this attack (and that's what this is THX) relevant to Williams, just remember, Williams never scored a film called "A New Hope".

Neil

If you read my posts in other SW threads, you would see that I am still a huge fan. I usually follow Rouge's advice: life is too short for these arguments. I've said before that I've long ago grown sick of the endless debates. I love all the movies, others hate them all, or hate some and like some. Fine by me. :)

John- staying away from the Farenheit 9/11 thread. I don't think I could resist the urge to go on the kind of political rant that gets the writer and the inevitable responders banned if I read any more in there. :roll:

Does anybody ENJOY Star Wars anymore?

Enjoy? Yes, I do. I will always enjoy seeing films about people named Skywalker running around with lightsabers and fighting in space battles. And I will always look forward, with enthusiasm, to new Star Wars movies and scores (by Williams, that is). No matter how bad the last Star Wars film was, there is still potential for the next one to be good. But I don't love them anymore, which I once did.

Back in May of 1999, when I graduated from college, I remember having a job interview on May 3rd. As you all probably remember the Phantom Menace score came out on May 4th. I distinctly remember during the interview all I could think about was this new Star Wars score. I was graduating, looking for a job and the most important thing to me was this new Star Wars movie. All I wanted was for May 3rd to end. That night was like Christmas Eve to me.

Star Wars has gone from that to being just one of many mediocre summer blockbuster franchises. It isn't any one thing that George Lucas has done, its a culmination of everything.... the shabby-ness of the prequels, the over-reliance on CGI, midichlorians, Jar Jar, fart and poop jokes, Han shooting first, refusal to release original versions of the OT. Just about every decision he's made after ESB has sucked.

But like I've said before, there's too many movies out there that I haven't seen to worry about than these three 20-year-old movies that I've seen countless times.

Geeeez! A Lucas defender? Truly one of a dying breed here.  

;) I'm another!

Those Prequels were sure good experiences. Good movie memories. Just like the first 3! :nod:

However, some parts make me go :) unintentionally. But I am always in favor of unintentional cheeziness imbedded in high entertainment. Just look at LOTR, Spiderman, Matrix! FULL OF CHEESINESS! I like them all. I am also a very discerning viewer. I have many dislikes, but fart jokes are not one of them. Movies where they cut from one close up to another are more annoying than anything in a Star Wars movie.

Blah-Blah-Blah... Glorp, gleek... Lucas, yadda, yadda, yadda...

You just don't get it...

And, to answer your original question, yes.... I still love STAR WARS

The jury is still out on A New Hope

I still enjoy Star Wars, all Episodes. I'll be in line on May 18th, waiting for 12:0whatever AM and out buying the soundtrack shortly thereafter. Probably I won't come here very often between February or so because I don't want to go in knowing anything about the film! (I'll miss you.... and I'll be back May 19 after some sleep) :) This may be a futile pursuit, but I'll do my best....

I recently spent an entire weekend with my husband doing nothing but enjoying Star Wars. We played SW Trivial Pursuit, watched IV-VI in the background, old Jedi Masters of Teras Kasi game, listened to all the soundtracks and had a great time... doing nothing but enjoying Star Wars. I'm sure that if it hadn't become Monday all of a sudden, we'd have watched Eps. I and II too.

And Maestro JW, I had a similar experience. I was all set to do my senior horn recital on the day one of the Prequel soundtracks came out - my husband (well, we weren't married then) showed up with it in his hand and I had to wait through my whole recital, knowing it was there in the back of my mind! I was even playing Star Wars music in that recital and I had even more nervous energy, knowing it was waiting when I got home.

SeekUYoda, following John C's example and shutting up now.

And' date=' to answer your original question, yes.... I still love STAR WARS

So do I, the epic six-part story of Anakin and Luke Skywalker and the galaxy they live in.

I know I don't usually get involved in this, but I couldn't resist. :)

When Lucas started messing with it, he changed an important part of my Childhood... You didn't experience this, so you cannot EVER understand the emotional impact this has... I saw a wonderful film called STAR WARS in 1977... I saw a not as stunning, watered down version called A New Hope later on... Sorry, it is something you will never get... So don't try...

;)

I didn't see it 65 times in the theater, with me it was 5 times in the theater (and probably 60 times since then :)), but otherwise I agree with every word!

Kathy

The addition of the chapter marker and the new title robbed some of the magic of Star Wars.  Star Wars is a really great abstract title for a film.  It completely evokes the essence of what the film is, without saying a thing.  Now after Episode III, which hypothetically lets call "The Fall of the Jedi", we have a movie called "A New Hope".  You see how this all fits together and now just makes Star Wars just another piece of the puzzle?  It completely takes away anything unique it once might have offered.

I think Lucas never intended for the movie "Star Wars" which is now called "ANH" to be something "special" compared to the other parts of his story. And as he had the whole story (at least roughly) laid out before, there's no reason this movie alone shold be something special "objectively". It just is for many people here because it was the first to see the light of day.

no Chris, its special because it is the best of the lot. It was a great film, much better than the raped version.

Joe, wondering if Lucas used a rubber when he butt#$%@$ Star Wars.

I still enjoy it too.

And call me crazy, but I don't hate every decision George Lucas makes simply beacuse he makes it. The only major thing I disagree with Lucas about is his refusing to make the original versions of the trilogy made available on DVD. (They have, however, been made available on previous formats, so you can't complain too much. Oh wait, you can, and do. Nevermind.) The original versions should be made available simply because they are important parts of film history. That aside, I can see why, from an artist's point-of-view, he only wants the (in his opinion) best representation of his vision to be seen.

I actually enjoy the prequel films. No movies will ever be as good as the original trilogy, so why not just appreciate the prequels for what they are? I enjoy them, and nothing anybody else can say is going to change that.

I could keep going, but I'm tired. It's not like anyone is really going to change their opinion in this thread. I like the Star Wars Saga, others don't. All I know is that 322 days from today, I'll be camped outside of the local movie theater. So will a lot of other people, but if you don't want to, then don't.

I never saw Star Wars. It was a decade before my time. But I have seen A New Hope and I did like it. And then I saw The Empire Strikes Bacl and I loved it. From then, I didn't become obsessed with the franchise as I have with Harry potter, but I have been interested. That interest, thankfully, has extended to the scores which had a big hand in my now obsession with film scores.

So I can't answer your question, THX, because I have never seen the movie Star Wars.

I like Star Wars and Star Wars: A New Hope - Special Edition (we'll see about Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope) about equally. I like the Special Edition for its improved special effects, I don't like it for the way some improvements don't fit in too well.

Dang man!

You know I long to see Star Wars as it was when Star Wars was the same for a movie and not a series. The original cut of the original film. I saw it on TV several years ago. Haven't seen it since. I really yearn to see Han have the balls to shoot his enemy Greedo first in order to properly defend himself without having to be pussyfied and need Greedo to shoot at him in order to "justify" something. I want to see my hero Luke commit to fall to his death in a heroic act of defiance to Vader's offer and not look weak as he cries like a little girl on the way down. I eagerly wish to visit Jabba's Palace without having to see the CGI Sesame Street band.

Will we ever see this "Star Wars" again? Not while Lucas breathes!

I still dont understand how in Lucas' mind he can see these "changes" as improvements.

I've watched the 1977 version and the 1997 version by that order and I have to say I vastly prefer the 1997 version. It's the same movie, the same thematics, the same plot but with much better image and sound quality. I understand that not having seen the movie back in 1977 when it came out in theaters (I wasn't even born yet) may influence heavily my opinion, but I can relate to George Lucas decisions. I'm by no means an artist, but I fell there's always omething to improve in everything I do. So Lucas felt the same way and he is perfectly entitled to...it is his creation. If there's one person with legitimacy to change little things in these movies, it's George Lucas. I also agree taht GL should release the original version also on DVD, since there is huge interest in this, and because it is a part of film history, but I would buy most definitively the 1997 version.

On the other hand, I'm also quite tired of the level of bashing GL gets around here. many of you seem to think Star wars is great in spite of George Lucas and that for me is a ludicrous assumption. The only criticism I can make of him is his decision to not released the original versions of the movies on DVD.

I speak for myself, I owe a great deal to George Lucas and he'll always be one of my idols.

And just because some of you saw the movie back in 1977, it doesn't necessarely makes the movie dearer to your heart that it is to mine. I believe we who like starwars love for more or less the same reasons.

And I also love both prequels...not as good as the originals, but great nonetheless. And I know some you will be laughing or calling me poor fellow or something along those lines.

Sometimes, it is many of you that don't get it.

Wow, this thread has really brought the Lucas supporters, or at least the non-Lucas haters, out of the woodwork. I had no idea that there were this many of us considering the Lucas haters seem to own every SW thread. Maybe you all have grown sick of the same arguments over and over, and everyone just ends up yelling at each other, like I have. But maybe we should speak out more often! ;)

I've watched the 1977 version and the 1997 version by that order and I have to say I vastly prefer the 1997 version. It's the same movie, the same thematics, the same plot but with much better image and sound quality.

That is a terrible argument. "Better image and sound quality"? Do you realize these are issues that result from the film to video transfer and are not dependant on what Lucas did to them? Simple fact, a movie transferred to video today looks better than a video transfer done 10 years ago. Technology improves. Not effects technology, video technology. Do your DVD's look better than your VHS tapes? Does that make the content of the movie better?

So I ask you, how old are the videos you are watching of the original version? Oh, and I've always thought the 1993 THX certified transfer was the best on Star Wars. The color is much more accurate on it than the 1997 video transfers, which had a very bluish tint, which is not how the film looked.

Neil

sometimes you just have to roll your eyes and wonder.

Maybe you all have grown sick of the same arguments over and over, and everyone just ends up yelling at each other, :

I am.At least the year waiting for HP3 was fun.nobody(well,almost nobody) was negative in advance about the movie and this kept the board going for a year.Now every time I see Star Wars in the title,I skip half the posts in the threads after reading a few lines,because it`s going to say the same thing over and over from the same persons involved in the debate.

I tried to start a `positive` Ep 3 thread a while ago and only a few people replied in it,then the `Lucas raped my childhood`gang highjacked it anyways.

2002 was the worst year of my life,and I only had 3 things to cheer me back up,new John Williams c.d.`s ,the JWfan board and AotC.And you know what,even a relatively bad Star Wars film helped me along the way,something I could still cling to when everything else sucked even more.

K.M.

2002 was the worst year of my life,and I only had 3 things to cheer me back up,new John Williams c.d.`s ,the JWfan board and AotC.And you know what,even a relatively bad Star Wars film helped me along the way,something I could still cling to when everything else sucked even more.  

K.M.

Well then, just inagine how upset you will be when in a few years from now, Lucas starts screwing around with the prequels, as well. And maybe then, you will understand a little better how we felt... Because I guarantee it will happen...

Hey,I saw Star Wars in 1977 ;) I'm just grateful that it's still around so many years later for better or for worse,along with John Williams.Who would have thought it?

K.M.

I dunno. The titles would look pretty odd if they were presented like this...

Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace

Star Wars Episode II - Attack of the Clones

Star Wars Episode III - ...

Star Wars

The Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

:?

Hey,I saw Star Wars in 1977  ;)  I'm just grateful that it's still around so many years later for better or for worse,along with John Williams.Who would have thought it?

K.M.

Agreed...

I dunno.  The titles would look pretty odd if they were presented like this...

Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace

Star Wars Episode II - Attack of the Clones

Star Wars Episode III - ...

Star Wars

The Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

:?

But it will be even odder if people watch the six movies back to back expecting them all to look the same, only to find the HUGE jump in style between Episode 3 and Episode 4. The fast-paced technical geekery of 3 will jar horribly with the slower-paced more realistic-looking 4. Not to mention the quality of direction will no doubt improve between movies! ;)

I'm not a murderer at all. ;) I was thinking more along the lines of stabbing out his eyes, ripping off his tongue and chopping his hands off.

But it will be even odder if people watch the six movies back to back expecting them all to look the same, only to find the HUGE jump in style between Episode 3 and Episode 4. The fast-paced technical geekery of 3 will jar horribly with the slower-paced more realistic-looking 4. Not to mention the quality of direction will no doubt improve between movies!   ;)

What jump in style? They all look the same to me (meaning they're all good).

What jump in style? They all look the same to me (meaning they're all good).

Good for you! I wish I didn't see the differences too ;) .

----------------

Alex Cremers

I've watched the 1977 version and the 1997 version by that order and I have to say I vastly prefer the 1997 version. It's the same movie, the same thematics, the same plot but with much better image and sound quality.

That is a terrible argument. "Better image and sound quality"? Do you realize these are issues that result from the film to video transfer and are not dependant on what Lucas did to them? Simple fact, a movie transferred to video today looks better than a video transfer done 10 years ago. Technology improves. Not effects technology, video technology. Do your DVD's look better than your VHS tapes? Does that make the content of the movie better?

So I ask you, how old are the videos you are watching of the original version? Oh, and I've always thought the 1993 THX certified transfer was the best on Star Wars. The color is much more accurate on it than the 1997 video transfers, which had a very bluish tint, which is not how the film looked.

Neil

I have the 1997 tapes. The lines around the snowspeeders and the x-wigs look muchh better in the special edition, for example. I knwo that was the way it looked in the original versions, but it looks much better now. As for the coloru, I really can't say, since I own both versions of the 3 movies on tape and maybe the original versions look crappy 'cause the tapes are old, but I prefer vastly the SE. When the tapes were new, I was not old enough to grasp concepts like color scheme or anything like that.

And the image does look better in the SE...all the frames were cleaned up.

Cleaning up is part of standard restoring. I've nothing against restoring weary prints, nobody has.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Alex has it right, restoration is fine, revision is a whole other ballgame.

Star Wars is like crack-cocaine. Change the recipe only slightly and you only get cocaine- which is no where near as good.

~Karm

who still enjoys Star Wars in their undiluted form, especially since his recent purchase of an XGA projector with a 6 foot screen :P