Does anybody ENJOY Star Wars anymore?

I have the 1997 tapes. The lines around the snowspeeders and the x-wigs look muchh better in the special edition, for example. I knwo that was the way it looked in the original versions, but it looks much better now. As for the coloru, I really can't say, since I own both versions of the 3 movies on tape and maybe the original versions look crappy 'cause the tapes are old, but I prefer vastly the SE. When the tapes were new, I was not old enough to grasp concepts like color scheme or anything like that.

The snowspeeder stuff you mention is an effect clean up not a transfer related issue and something that didn't need to be done. The early video transfers for the films were too bright, and that's when people started noticing flaws that were never seen theatrically (matte boxes and that sort of thing). Most transfers are still too bright in the trash compactor and R2 in the canyon scenes. On top of that, most people adjust their televisions to be too bright, so all this junk that was never intended to be seen is now visible. That explains how people were able to see through the frames of the snowspeeders in the first person shots. In the theater you could not do that.

Neil

I am.At least the year waiting for HP3 was fun.nobody(well,almost nobody) was negative in advance about the movie and this kept the board going for a year.Now every time I see Star Wars in the title,I skip half the posts in the threads after reading a few lines,because it`s going to say the same thing over and over from the same persons involved in the debate.

I tried to start a `positive` Ep 3 thread a while ago and only a few people replied in it,then the `Lucas raped my childhood`gang highjacked it anyways.

2002 was the worst year of my life,and I only had 3 things to cheer me back up,new John Williams c.d.`s ,the JWfan board and AotC.And you know what,even a relatively bad Star Wars film helped me along the way,something I could still cling to when everything else sucked even more.

Very well put KM.

I'm also a proud member of the gang that only recognizes greatness in the two first Star Wars movies.

Star Wars Gang 1: Only the first two movies are great. (that's the coolest gang)

Star Wars Gang 2: Bows down for the Trilogy.

Star Wars Gang 3: Trilogy and Prequels are great.

Star Wars Gang 4: Only the Prequels are great. (not sure if this gang has any members)

----------------

Alex Cremers

The early video transfers for the films were too bright, and that's when people started noticing flaws that were never seen theatrically (matte boxes and that sort of thing).  

Neil

Ah,so the mystery is solved.I remember beeing starled at the matte boxes around the TIE fighters in ESB on the VHS,they were definetely not there in the theatrical version.

K.M.Who had forgotten that

I'm also a proud member of the gang that only recognizes greatness in the two first Star Wars movies.

Star Wars Gang 1: Only the first two movies are great. (that's the coolest gang)

Star Wars Gang 2: Bows down for the Trilogy.

Star Wars Gang 3: Trilogy and Prequels are great.

Star Wars Gang 4: Only the Prequels are great. (not sure if this gang has any members)

Put me firmly in Gang 3. And I really don't care if you see it as the cool one or not. :P

Hmm guess that puts me in Star Wars Gang 2...

::Saddened by his lack of coolness, KarmBee sits down facing the corner. Muffled crying can be heard::

KarmBee

~Who ate and breathed RotJ for the first 7 years of his life, and still can't seem to let go.

Ewoks didn't cheapen RotJ, "Land of the Ewoks" cheapened the Ewoks!

PS: Midgets are cool, even if liking RotJ isn't.

I never was in the "cool" group... I guess I'm in gang two. Although I do recognized some of the flaws in ROTJ, it's the only movie from the OT that I can remember anticipating coming out and looking forward to. So, ROTJ will always have a special place in my heart, I can't feel too negative toward it.

Jeff - who was 5 when ROTJ came out

I'd be in Gang 2. There's no way I'm satisfied with the prequels. I'm not satisfied with the scores or the movies themselves. They don't have the same edge as the OT. ANH and Empire resemble movies that great filmmakers make--guys like Spielberg and Coppola. (Yeah, I kinda regret saying Coppola--but he and George are pals) RotJ resembled ANH, but the Ewoks were too over the top. I could've handled some yuzzums (not the kind like in the SE band at Jabba's) that were xenophobes that reluctantly aided the Rebels, but not Ewoks. But the rest of the movie was pretty decent. Jabba's wasn't childish at all. It was actually pretty creepy with the rancor eating everything. Not to mention there were skulls in the rancor pit, and plenty of bad guys were eaten by the Sarlacc (yeah, it looked better without the beak--so what if it wasn't complex, it still had the tentacles going for it to make it look real enough). But the whole DSII part was great. I mean, sure it could've been better by having a better actor than Hamill and a better director than Marquand, but The Dark Side Beckons is very, very, very well done by the Maestro. I even thought the space battle was better than ANH, b/c there was a larger variety of ships, the shots were more panoramic. So really, the only problem I have with RotJ is the Ewoks. The rest is fine, even though it could be better. The Ewoks, like I said, could've been replaced with a different species that wasn't as cute. Kaminoans with fur living in the forest (basically yuzzums) would've sufficed.

Gang 3.

Well, Neil, I can't argue with you there. You seem to have knowledge and experience in areas I clearly do not.

Well, Neil, I can't argue with you there. You seem to have knowledge and experience in areas I clearly do not.

Either that or I'm a good bulls**t artist. :P

Neil

Well then, just inagine how upset you will be when in a few years from now, Lucas starts screwing around with the prequels, as well. And maybe then, you will understand a little better how we felt... Because I guarantee it will happen...

You do have a point...I'm kind of annoyed at the useless Air Taxi and Flag Parade footage added to The Phantom Menace for its DVD release (then again, I'm equally pissed at the useless new footage in the Classic Trilogy, but not at most of the fixed effects).

Another proud member of Gang 1. :P

Kathy, who classifies ROTJ as good but not great.

Either that or I'm a good bulls**t artist. :P

Well, you certainly did try to bulls**t this week :P

Gang One. Star Wars and Empire are the perfect pairing of classic movie and superb sequel.

Having said that I still enjoy the last 45 minutes of Jedi very much. Attack of the Clones is fun for the most part (though the Anakin/Padme stuff is terrible!). I never watch Phantom Menace these days. I find it very boring.

Gang One. Star Wars and Empire are the perfect pairing of classic movie and superb sequel. Having said that I still enjoy the last 45 minutes of Jedi very much.

Me too, but that still makes me a certified Gang 1 member.

----------------

Alex Cremers

The Ewoks, like I said, could've been replaced with a different species that wasn't as cute. Kaminoans with fur living in the forest (basically yuzzums) would've sufficed.

Mm, Wookiees. But you know, we're finally going to get them in Episode III (one reason to look forward to it).

Anyone said that would a prequel lover if in the next years GL changed the prequels?

I would say thank goodness! There are many errors as in the OT that have to be fixxed, for example the scores.

Please, we have to do something about this. We cannot spend 11 months arguing about SW (the saga), could we wait to EPIII release? At least just speak of the Music. And please forget the DVDs.

Dont you find embarrasing people arguing about movies (for so long time!). Specially embarrased should be the purists who have in their ranks people arround forty.... (yes Joe, that's a pun you deserved :devil: )

And sorry Rogue, you are of the 1st Gang. We have not suffered your ROJ bashing for nothing, so get your SW and ESB and go home :D

And about raping things... Rogue, your US flags on Wedge's helmet, that is a good example of it. (Dont make shitty CGI adds! ;) )

My little puns said, i think that at least we should remain respectful when we argue, (always, but specially with these matters). Too much rude language has been used in this thread, IMO.

Luke, member of Gang 5: All the movies are good, as is the mayority if the Expanded Universe :P

Dont you find embarrasing people arguing about movies (for so long time!). Specially embarrased should be the purists who have in their ranks people arround forty.... (yes Joe, that's a pun you deserved  )  

Luke when you get to forty + maybe the light will go one in your head and see the prequels are not the equel of the original trilogy.

Course in your life there has always been Star Wars, not in mine, which makes me appreciate it better than you'll ever be able too.

Luke, member of Gang 5: All the movies are good, as is the mayority if the Expanded Universe

Luke, can I join your gang? I think, based on his name, that Neeja Halcyon might want to join too. ;)

Dont you find embarrasing people arguing about movies (for so long time!). Specially embarrased should be the purists who have in their ranks people arround forty.... (yes Joe, that's a pun you deserved  )  

Luke when you get to forty + maybe the light will go one in your head and see the prequels are not the equel of the original trilogy.

Course in your life there has always been Star Wars, not in mine, which makes me appreciate it better than you'll ever be able too.

I think it will be my wife (if there ever is one :( ) who manages to do that.... but in a more subtle way: burning all my SW stuff!! :cry: Well i hope she lets me with my Williams stuff at least, so i could play 'Funeral Pyre for a Jedi' during that, not sure what version though... :?

I hope i didnt hurt you with the age thing. I just hope i can enjoy SW like you for so long time, though different versions ;)

I hope my child enjoy it too, or it will be a hard blow in the face to me! (I think wishing them both SW and Williams is too much... ;), sadly)

Luke, member of Gang 5: All the movies are good, as is the mayority if the Expanded Universe

Luke, can I join your gang? I think, based on his name, that Neeja Halcyon might want to join too. ;)

You are welcome!

Neil and Joe too :(

hope i didnt hurt you with the age thing. I just hope i can enjoy SW like you for so long time, though different versions  

Luke, if I didn't keep aging, I would be dead, so it doesn't bother me.

Joe, proud to be almost 44

I'm officially forming Gang 6.The OT rules,and I'm still a big fan of the prequels but they are not as good as the OT.

K.M.

Man, we keep this up and we'll have more gangs than a high school! What's next, the "I kinda like the OT, am ambivalent about the prequels, but really love the books" gang? The "I think Jedi's the best movie" gang? The "what the hell am I doing here" gang? Where does the madness end?! :sigh:

:baaa:

Once again I break out the "I'm a loony" sign. Sometimes I belong in a Python sketch...

John- firmly entrenched in Group 3 and that's the way it stays.

Sorry Luke but despite the fact that I feel ROTJ (its ROTJ pal not ROJ! :sigh:) is clearly lacking behind the first two movies. I feel there is enough redeeming factors in it to make it worthy of the SW name.

Sure it relies alot on the strengths of the first two movies but it has enough to carry itself.

I may not be ROTJ's biggest fan on this board but I am CERTAINLY not its biggest detractor either.

In all seriousness I wonder what George Lucas will do next. He's lost so much cred over these bloody prequels I wonder if the public will allow him to make another successful movie once the blue words read Written and Directed by George Lucas for the last time on a Star Wars film.

I predict after Episode III Lucas will make a few more movies which will be flops and then he will fade into obscurity.

That is until he announces: Episodes 7, 8, and 9 featuring an older British actor as the old Luke Skywalker! :sigh:

That is until he announces: Episodes 7, 8, and 9 featuring an older British actor as the old Luke Skywalker! :sigh:

Who, of course, runs a Jedi school.

(and please, no kindergarten like in AOTC)

----------------

Alex Cremers - who still thinks Kenneth Branagh should play middle-aged Skywalker.

For me, ROTJ is the most emotional SW movie. I get goosebumps in the last 20 minutes. It spent a little too much time on Jabba's Palace though...and Ian McDiarmid is a joy to watch as the emperor.

For me, ROTJ is the most emotional SW movie. I get goosebumps in the last 20 minutes. It spent a little too much time on Jabba's Palace though...and Ian McDiarmid is a joy to watch as the emperor.

for me its just the opposite, never bought the very weak payoff. It was sappy, unbelievable, and unrealistic. It was the biggest cheat so far in the Star Wars universe.

Yes, Jedi should be born at the age of 16 or higher right? :roll:

Rogue its nice how my view about how you viewed ROJ has almost turned to the opposite. I think more threads like this should be made and you may end liking the prequels a little bit! :sigh:

Do i have to post another time the official picture in where the OT acronyms are made of three words? ANH, ESB and ROJ.

Unfortunately they officially released AOTC, but i dont care :baaa:

Lucas is reportedly going to do some small, "experimental" films after Star Wars. I don't think he'll make a third trilogy, but I do think he'll continue to "milk the cash cow."

Yes, Jedi should be born at the age of 16 or higher right? :roll:

It's just not very ... "cinematically cool" to show babies with light sabers. It would be much better if they started at 12, but then the target audience wouldn't be able to identify with it anymore, of course.

In fact, the whole school idea would be rather stupid looking. It's all so very un-star-wars-like.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Lucas is reportedly going to do some small, "experimental" films after Star Wars. I don't think he'll make a third trilogy, but I do think he'll continue to "milk the cash cow."

Yes- let's experimant. How much money could I get with this lame ass plot?