What is John's best 1990 through 2000 score?

jamesie

What is John's best 1990 though 2000 score?  

49 members have voted

1. 1.

• Stanley and Iris
    • Presumed Innocent
    • Home Alone
    • Hook
    • JFK
    • Far and Away
    • Home Alone 2
    • Jurassic Park
    • Schindler's List
    • Sabrina
    • Nixon
    • Sleepers
    • Rosewood
    • The Lost World: Jurassic Park
    • Seven Years in Tibet
    • Amistad
    • Saving Private Ryan
    • Stepmom
    • Star Wars: The Phantom Menace
    • Angela's Ashes
    • The Patriot

This has probably been done a million times but I'm just wondering... I have no clue what the top contenders of this list are/will be, but I am just curious because several of his best soundtracks have come from this time period, in my opinion. This is my first poll, so if I did something wrong or if you have suggestions please give them to me. :mrgreen:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I imagine SL and JP will be vying for the top spots. I can't possilby pick one- but among the ones I could pick are SL, JP, HA, SW:TPM, AA, and F&A. Except for 5 of them, I think they're all great scores.

I voted on my own poll for Hook... I don't know if thats legal or not... But yeah... There are many other qualified ones, certainly... I would like to see Jurassic Park, Hook, and Star Wars to score well.

I had to vote for JP-The lost world. That was the JW score that got me hooked. Trust me the others are great as well and I am sure many would disagree with my choice. But there is no replacing that special moment when you listend to your very first JW score.

The time frame seems relatively arbitrary -- an eleven year period, but oh well.

It probably sounds like I'm just trying to be contrarian, or "self-consciously iconoclastic" (as Figo would say), but Stepmom really is my favorite among the bunch, even as I realize that it's hardly the composer's most varied, challenging, distinctive, or influential work.

Speaking of influential work, how about The Lost World: Jurassic Park? Stylistically, Williams hasn't been able to get it out of his head since (not including The Phantom Menace, which drew much inspiration from the original Jurassic Park score).

Schindler's List is not exactly a pick-me-upper but, because of the movie, its a score that stands apart from anything he's done. It has a seriousness and depth of feeling that makes for some gorgeous (and depressing) music.

If I were going by a score that gets the most listens it might actually be the Home Alone scores, number 2 especially. I mostly play them around the holdiay season but, even so, it probably gets more plays than just about anything.

- Adam

Although, I prefer to listen to Stanley and Iris, I had to vote for Schindler's List. This is, IMO, John Williams' greatest score in the 90's... I just find it difficult to listen to... Stirs up bad memories for me.

Listening to The Lost World c.d.:

The Lost World Theme-skip-Malcom's Journey-The Hunt..skip.skip skip,skip,skip...The Stegausaurus..skip.skip,skip...Finale.

K.M.

I love polls because I can come in the thread and say that I can't possibly choose because they're all so different and good. I mean, I love Hook, JFK, Jurassic Park, Schindler's List, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan, Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace and even The Patriot. The rest are either mediocre (no Williams score that I've heard is bad, just a little plain sometimes), ones I haven't heard or ones I'm not interested in yet (there is never an older Williams score that I'll never be interested in hearing sometime in the future).

Can't vote.

Well, I'll go for Hook because I'm partial to Williams' fantasy scores. I would have said Schindler's List but I find it a bit too depressing for many repeat listens, as Hook has the honour of having.

Far and away, it's Far and Away.

Ray Barnsbury-who expects to be one of the very few (or no other?) votes for this score

Hey, it made my list.

1) Jurassic Park, of course.

2) Hook

3) Sabrina

4) Schindler's List

5) Phantom Menace

6) Far and Away

7) Rosewood

8) Angela's Ashes

9) Patriot

10) Seven Years in Tibet

However the best thing Williams did in this period was arranging Theme from the Color Purple.

The Lost World Theme-skip-Malcom's Journey-The Hunt..skip.skip skip,skip,skip...The Stegausaurus..skip.skip,skip...Finale.

K.M.

so thats you, I can listen to the LW over and over. I thought it was a disappointing score at first, and grew to love it greatly.

I admit my surprise that I kept putting in at work all the time.

I voted Schindlers List, it is simply an incredibly moving piece of work. I don't find it hard to listen to at all. Williams expresses deep sadness but also hope. In some ways, the music is uplifting.

Jeff

As much as I enjoy several of the other scores, I've narrowed my choice down to two: Schindler's List and Angela's Ashes.

Kathy, who must listen to both again before voting

K.M.

so thats you, I can listen to the LW over and over. I thought it was a disappointing score at first, and grew to love it greatly.

I admit my surprise that I kept putting in at work all the time.

I haven't listened to it in a long time..I'll try it again.

K.M.

"Home Alone." It's simple, yet it's not. It's fun, yet it takes time for wistful moments. It keeps down on the Mickey Mouse factor.

Second would be "Schindler's List," because of "Remembrances," "Schindler's Workforce" and "Auschwitz."

Third would be "Amistad," simply because I never thought in a million years this would be a movie Williams would score.

Jeff -- who listens to "Home Alone" lots outside the Christmas season

"Home Alone."  It keeps down on the Mickey Mouse factor.

JFK is completely Mickey Mouse-less.

----------------

Alex Cremers

The Phantom Menace.

Jurassic Park close, though not that great it was the score who drove me into film scores.

Hook is also great.

Oh come on Luke! You are biased pal!

We all knew you were destined to choose TPM! :sigh:

Hook is without a doubt my favorite Soundtrack.. well the complete soundtrack that is, too much is missing on the CD itself

The Phantom Menace.

Jurassic Park close, though not that great it was the score who drove me into film scores.

Hook is also great.

Oh come on Luke! You are biased pal!

We all knew you were destined to choose TPM! :sigh:

Yes, but you knew Neil would? Those are the things that makes you keep living... :sigh:

I was going to choose JP, but then i remembered TPM was on that period... I would have choosen hook, if instead TPM there had been AOC. ( i did voted AI in the 21st century poll, for example)

And i forgot SL, but since it won the oscar it doesnt deserve any more praise :baaa:

"Home Alone."  It keeps down on the Mickey Mouse factor.

JFK is completely Mickey Mouse-less.

Why? you'll never found a more bouncy, fun score!

Morlock- who thinks Home alone is bloody brilliant

I voted for The Phantom Menace, which despite its many flaws has a lovely richness and expansiveness to it. Though I do love The Lost World: Jurassic Park, Amistad, Stepmom and even once upon a time The Patriot (it has been a while between listens with that one).

CYPHER

For me, it is an exact tie between F&A, JP, and Hook. All are brilliant, and very enjoyable. But as for the Albums, I like JP the most because it doesn't have any Songs on it.

Wow...did everybody just forget Seven Years in Tibet? I don't remember how well the score went with the film, but on its own, it's brilliant--to use a worn-out term. Regardless of how obscure the film is, the score should be appreciated apart from it. It's one for the books, for sure, because it's a bona fide masterpiece. Totally underrated. Wasn't even nominated for an Oscar, I don't think. Yet so many of the others listed here were and aren't as good.

Concidering how amazing the 2 previous ones were, that's not necasserily saying all that much. I personaly think it's almost as good and in some ways better than the 80's.

No. But in some ways. Quantity for one. Diversity for another.

In the 80s I think he has 6 amazing scores, 3 great ones, 2 good ones, 3 fine ones and one bad one.

In the 90s I think he has 7 amazing scores, 6 great ones, 4 good ones 2 fine ones and one bad one.

The amazing 90s scores are not quite as good as the amazing 80s, but they're still amazing, and there's one more of them. And with the volume of the great and good ones, and the diversity of all the scores, I think that makes it comparable.

Too bad that for 1 year only I can't vote for The Last Crusade!!!

So I voted for Jurassic Park, then Hook, The Lost World and Schindler's list, but I like almost all of the '90 scores.

I don't think he did his best work in the Nineties. In fact, somewhere in the 90s I stopped buying each and every new Williams, and I was buying since the Seventies. At a certain point I realized I loved his work so much that I bought everything on sight. I couldn't care whether the movies were good or bad anymore. Every Williams was a sure thing! Then after I got disappointed 5 times in a row (Schindler's List not included) I temporarily gave up on Williams. Later I picked up a few titles here and there for completion's sake, but till this very day, I still miss several titles of the 90s.

----------------

Alex Cremers

The Nineties are John's weakest decade (60s not included).

----------------

Alex Cremers

Speak for yourself!