Minority Report Chronological?

DarthMatt

I want to thank Stefancos for helping me out with the Jaws chronological order--now I have another question: can we determine the chronological order of the Minority Report score? I've got a rough outline, and was hoping someone else could help sort the tracks to follow the movie. Here's what I've got for now:

1. (2) "Can You See?"

2. (3) Pre-Crime To The Rescue

3. (4) Sean And Lara

4. (8) Everybody Runs!

5. (10) Anderton's Great Escape

6. (6) The Greenhouse Effect

7. (7) Eye-Dentiscan

8. (11) Dr. Eddie and Miss Van Eych

9. (5) Spyders

10. (12) Visions Of Anne Lively

11. (13) Leo Crow...The Confrontation

12. (14) "Sean" By Agatha

13. (15) Psychic Truth And Finale

14. (16) A New Beginning

I don't think the next 2 are in the movie at all:

15. (1) Minority Report

16. (9) Sean's Theme

Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated!!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's great Matt. I think Eye Dentiscan comes after the Spyders cue though.

My only other question on this was whether or not Sean's Theme was ever in the picture at all. I didn't think so, but if someone knows for sure that would be great.

What about the inevitable unreleased material? I don't think there was a whole lot of stuff missing. I do remember there is a pretty damn good cue as the Pre-Crime guys are swarming around Lara's house. It was really short though and I think It comes directly after "Sean" by Agatha. It would have been nice to have, but I'm very glad with what's on the album.

NP: Minority Report

I think Eye Dentiscan comes after the Spyders cue though.

It does.

Neil - who is enjoying the Minority Report album regardless of it not being chronological

hang on, i'm confused... why is the spyders track before anderton is even accused? isn't that the track used when the spyders are released through the building?

The album sequence is done for listening excitement. I think if the album had been released chronologically, it wouldn't have been as fun a listen (after his escape, there's a long stretch of "boring" music).

Jeff -- putting "Spyders" on repeat listen once again

You're right Trumpeteer (though I wouldn't use the word "boring!"). The album also develops thematically exactly as the first track does. Also, thanks for pointing out that Minority Report was the end credits. I didn't stay for them because I didn't think my date would be so inclined. Like you said in your review, I hope this score gets the nomination!

So the correct order should be:

01. 2 "Can You See?"

02. 3 Pre-Crime To The Rescue

03. 4 Sean And Lara

04. 8 Everybody Runs!

05. 10 Anderton's Great Escape

06. 6 The Greenhouse Effect

07. 11 Dr. Eddie and Miss Van Eych

08. 5 Spyders

09. 7 Eye-Dentiscan

10. 12 Visions Of Anne Lively

11. 13 Leo Crow...The Confrontation

12. 14 "Sean" By Agatha

13. 15 Psychic Truth And Finale

14. 16 A New Beginning

15. 1 Minority Report (end credits)

16. 9 Sean's Theme (concert arrangement)

Since Track 9 (Sean's Theme) is a concert arrangement, I suppose you could place it anywhere you wanted. It might make a good opening track, like how they put the love theme as the opening of the expanded Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Anybody seen the film enough times and know the CD well enough to figure out if any of the tracks on the cd contain music from 2 different scenes? If not, it would be the first OST he didn't do that to since.... well, since some score from a long time ago :baaa:

-Jason

like how they put the love theme as the opening of the expanded Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Star Trek - The Motion Picture always started with Ilia's Theme as an overture. The original film used an edited version of the theme that clocked in at about 1:40, while the new "Director's Edition" uses the full 3:02 recording.

Anybody seen the film enough times and know the CD well enough to figure out if any of the tracks on the cd contain music from 2 different scenes?

I could be wrong, but I think "Everybody Runs!" has additional music in it. Also "Anderton's Great Escape" has additional percussion in the film when the car is running down the assembly line.

Neil

I saw the movie three times over the weekend, absolutely loved it, and I tried to pay close attention to the music. I'm 90% sure that "Sean's Theme" is, indeed, the first piece in the closing credits, coming before "Minority Report."

As I remember, "Sean's Theme" starts when the credit "Directed by Steven Spielberg" comes up, and plays over the first part of the credits, which are, in effect, the opening credits, since there were none at the beginning and they must contractually be there. This segment has the aerial shot of the Precogs' log cabin receding into the distance. Then, "Minority Report" plays over the closing credits which immediately follow, with the black background.

Hope this helps. I'll be going back to see the movie tomorrow, having listened to the score frequently in the last few days -- I didn't listen to it before seeing the film. I'll check for sure on the music order then, since I intend to burn a CD of the music in the proper film order, as I did with A.I.

To make a complete A.I. CD, I had to get the Ministry "Greatest Fits" CD to get their song 'What About Us," which was written for A.I., but not on the CD. Likewise, I'm going to pay close attention to the version of "Moon River" which plays in the mall sequence, in hopes of tracking it down. I thought its use was brilliant, a nod to Kubrick using light, cliched pop music in an entirely opposite context, and a complete "Minority Report" CD needs that too, to me at least.

James

Hope this helps. I'll be going back to see the movie tomorrow, having listened to the score frequently in the last few days -- I didn't listen to it before seeing the film. I'll check for sure on the music order then, since I intend to burn a CD of the music in the proper film order, as I did with A.I.

OK, I'll post on the site the chronological order from the other message, but will update it with your new discoveries in case there's any change, so please keep us posted ;)

So,

01. 2 "Can You See?"

02. 3 Pre-Crime To The Rescue

03. 4 Sean And Lara

04. 8 Everybody Runs!

05. 10 Anderton's Great Escape

06. 6 The Greenhouse Effect

07. 11 Dr. Eddie and Miss Van Eych

08. 5 Spyders

09. 7 Eye-Dentiscan

10. 12 Visions Of Anne Lively

11. 13 Leo Crow...The Confrontation

12. 14 "Sean" By Agatha

13. 15 Psychic Truth And Finale

14. 16 A New Beginning

15. 9 Sean's Theme (end credits part 1)

19. 1 Minority Report (end credits part 2)

Sound about right to everyone?

;)

-Jason

Okay, saw MR again tonight, and here's what I have to report.

First of all, "Sean's Theme" does, indeed, come after track 16, before track 9 in the end credits.

Second, track 2 is actually a combination. The first half, up to about the 1 minute mark is the opening murder music, however, it then mixes into the music from the "Can You See?" scene, when Agatha jumps out of the pool and grabs Anderton, thus the track name. So there's really no way to do this chronologically. Putting it first, before track 3, makes the most sense to me, even though the second half would fall after track 4.

Track 4 is also confusing. As far as I can make out, it's actually multiple cues blended together. The first one "Sean," goes up to 2:40, the next "Lara," from there to 3:40. From there to the end is a mystery to me. "Lara" plays over the hologram of Anderton's wife. However, there is no music over the hologram of Sean, as I remember. I believe -- but don't quote me on this -- that "Sean" is actually the music from the scene where Sean disappears at the pool, which would come after track 11. However, this track is really so confusing that I wouldn't swear to anything about it.

As for track 6, aside from the first part, which is obviously in the greenhouse, I believe it is also a combination of multiple cues, though I'm not sure from where.

Next, track 8. The first half is, of course, the music from the scene where Anderton climbs about on the Mag-Lev cars as they whiz along the highway and down the side of a building. However, the second half, from about 2:25 to the end is from elsewhere, though I have no idea where.

Finally, track 12 is also a compliation of more than one cue. Again, though, I can't figure out from where.

All this ends up meaning that creating a true chronological CD is basically hopeless.

However, the listing as it stands is about as close as you can get, putting 9 before 1 as the closing credits.

The guy who said it all sounds alike kind of has a point. Much as I love this score, a great deal of it truly is underscore. It's not especially distinctive, and it's tough to figure out what went where. The only way to do it properly would be to make an audio tape of the whole movie and match bit for bit, and it's not really that important to me.

Also, if anyone else is interested like I was, I called Fox's Music Publishing Dept today, and they checked on which version of "Moon River" was used in the film. It's not good news, because the version in the film is unobtainable. The first half is the version which plays over the opening credits of "Breakfast at Tiffany's," which has never been released. (The existing soundtrack album consists only of re-recordings which are quite different from anything in the film.) It then segues into a different version, which they didn't have any info about, but sounds to me like just a synthesizer rendition.

Next time I see it I mean to note down the two classical tracks, I think they were Schubert and Tchaikovsky.

Lastly, the song playing in The Gap was "Solitude," sung by Billie Holiday, if anyone's curious.