TJ Poll #3 - Other kind of music you listen to?

Other kind of music you listen to?  

39 members have voted

1. 1.

• Pop
    • Rock/Pop-Rock
    • Punk
    • Metal/Hard Rock
    • Rap/Hip-Hop
    • Classical music (not soundtracks)
    • Other (specify)

If we are here, it's because we love classical music, especially film music, especially John Williams.

But outside this wonderful JW's world, what kind of music do you listen to?

I REALLY love every kind of music, but my preference goes to "Punk" and almost all its sub-genres (HC, Melodic HC, Punk-Rock, Pop-Punk...). Maybe you we'll hate me after saying this, but whatever, I like Rock and Rap and Pop too. I like punk because it's very easy to play and nobody needs talent to play punk music.

I think I'm the only person in the world that actually loves John Williams, Eminem and NOFX (my favourite punk band) almost at the same way. Oh, I play guitar and bass and I've already recorded some JW's most famous themes as little acoustic pop songs. I didn't believe so much in this project, but it turns out to be something very nice...

TJ's 99th post...-1 to 100!!!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't listen to anything other than film/TV/video game soundtracks regularly. But being from Texas and all I do get the urge for Country once in a great while, Brooks & Dunn being my favorite.

oh for Game Soundtracks, check out this site www.scummbar.com/mi2/site/

You should find cool surprises!

Already knew about it actually. There's some great stuff there. :thumbup:

And I think Marian picked that place clean after he discovered it. If it was CDs instead of files, there'd be nothing left. LOL

I like GOOD music, whatever genre. I picked classical just because I listen to it the most and have more classical CDs. Here are my music Gods:

John Williams

Dmitri Schostakovich

Ralph Vaughan Williams

Arnold Bax

Einojuhani Rautavaara

David Bowie

Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac

Jean Michel Jarre

Kraftwerk

Miles Davis

Bob Dylan

Oh, and I like Abba. Sue me. :thumbup:

Well, I listen to a lot of music as long as I can get some kind of thrill out of it. I've concluded that that thrill can come from a diverse range of musical styles. When I can get goosebumps or a lump in my throat or just a smile on my smile because of an aural impulse, well, I mean it's one of the most special feelings I can have.

Obviousley I listen to al ot of film music. John Williams is by far my favorite composer of all time and his music gets played most in my house (and car). In the film music field I also love the music of Ennio Morricone, James Horner, Hans Zimmer and Jerry Goldsmith. But besides those composers I own hundreds of scores that I absolutely adore. For example The Age Of Innocence (Elmer Bernstein), Watership Down (Mike Batt), The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy (Howard Shore), Batman, Edward Scissorhands (Danny Elfman), Conan The Barbarian (Basil Poledouris), etc., etc., etc....

I love classical music, although I don't really have any favorite composers. I have a huge collection and some of my favorite pieces are: Cello Concerto, Enigma Variations (Elgar), New World Symphony (Dvorak), Alina (Arvo Part), Requiem (Faure), Mondschein Sonate, Symphony #7, #9 (Beethoven), etc., etc. This list also goes on and on and on...

The pop/rock music output has produced some of my favorite composers, artists and songs. My favorites are U2 (especially The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby albums), Guns N' Roses, Sting/The Police, Phil Collins, Michael Jackson, Dire Straits, Paul Simon, Metallica, Radiohead, Billy Joel, RHCP, George Michael, Queen, Toto (and many, many others).

But my favorite pop/rock composer is Jim Steinman. Who was that other Steinman freak here on this board? Steinman is a truly original visionare with unlimited capabilities to produce exceptionally profound rock music. He is one of a kind...

Bye,

Roald

Seriously I mostly like orchestral music.Some classical pieces,but mostly film music:John Williams is WAY ahead,then Goldsmith,Horner,Barry..ect...

I like some vocal pop music,but I mostly listen to it on the radio,or as background music.I don't own a single c.d. of pop music and never felt compelled to buy any.

Going back to JW,there is a LOT to listen to(150 or so c.d.'s),so there is never time to get bored of all his stuff,and always something to re-visit and marvel at his genius,even after so many years.

K.M.

If we are here, it's because we love classical music, especially film music, especially John Williams.

I really object to this sentence.

It supposes that classical music and film music are the same thing.

Nooo! I mean we love classical music and especially classical music as soundtracks. Sure are not the same thing.

But with the word "Soundtrack" I usually mean classical film music, 'cause I really don't like soundtracks as compilations of songs

TJ - who is often misunderstood :thumbup:

Nooo! I mean we love classical music and especially classical music as soundtracks. Sure are not the same thing.

Speak for yoyurself, I do not love classical music at all.

But with the word "Soundtrack" I usually mean classical film music, 'cause I really don't like soundtracks as compilations of songs

Please use the term orchestral film music, unless you are talking about film that use classical music in their soundtrack, like Amadeus or 2001.

TJ - who is often misunderstood  :thumbup:

And for good reason.

Mostly classical, though I listen to selected other kinds of music as well....favourites include The Rolling Stones and Mike Oldfield.

And game scores rule. ROTFLMAO Especially various LucasArts scores and the old C64/Amiga scores by Chris Hülsbeck.

And I think Marian picked that place clean after he discovered it. If it was CDs instead of files, there'd be nothing left.  LOL

Since reading about that site, I've burned 10 CDs.

Marian - :thumbup:

I lied, I despise rap, noting as Stewdog's signature says, you cannot say crap without rap, the worst genre of music ever. its noise.

I don't deny it features some talented vocalists, (not singers, many couldn't carry a tune), and some talented writers, but it is something that needs to go away.

Soundtracks, classical music, rock (mostly classic), and some metal. AndI listen to a little of the rest, save rap/hip hop.

My collection is evenly divided between soundtracks and classical music, with cast albums from musicals (if they are a different category from soundtracks?) a distant third.

Kathy

Other than film music I listen to Heavy Metal, Rock and R&B. most of the music I listen to is from the 70' and 80's. I can't tolerate too much of the music from 90's to present.

I lied, I despise rap, noting as Stewdog's signature says, you cannot say crap without rap, the worst genre of music ever.  its noise.

I don't deny it features some talented vocalists, (not singers, many couldn't carry a tune), and some talented writers, but it is something that needs to go away.

Actually, the lowest kind is house, rap is second. House is noise on a drumtrack, rap is crap a la egoboost. ;)

Or perhaps better yet:

house is sound without meaningfull dialoque,

while,

rap is meaningless dialoque without music.

From the poll choices, I listen to

Pop

Rock/Pop-Rock

Punk

Metal/Hard Rock

Rap/Hip-Hop

So which choice am I supposed to pick? Perhaps a better poll would be "what % of all your music you listen to is film music"?

I don't like any classical music at all.

Rap is not crap or noise, it's bass, rythm, ryhmes and cool lyrics.

Worst music is Dance (techno, house...) and that latino-american summer (s)hits like Macarena or Lambada or Ricky Martin...Rap is a lot better. Also, there are rappers that are true talented in writing lyrics.

I only listen to rap and hiphop music.

When I read this, the first thing to pop in my mind was that white guy from Office Space.

:shakehead:

They were all white, although one of them was of Indian descent. That's one good movie, so much better now that I actually work in an office.

I worked at an office that had Hawaiian shirt Friday, before this movie came out. Only one or two guys wore those shirts after that, in honor of the movie, rather than being embarrassed.

The Lumberg character is hilarious in that movie. I listen to a lot of jazz, I like to collect jazz ensemble recordings, I like film music of course (mainly John Williams), I have a lot of blues, and good beginning of a classical collection but would like to expand it a lot. I have some neat classical saxophone, and sax quartet stuff since I'm a sax player.

I have pop, and some rock, I only buy it if I think the artist is really talented and not just pretending they can really sing. It has to sound like real music, not noise.

I really love wind symphony recordings and the big pieces/composers for wind band. I majored in music for a while in college and that's such a interesting medium. It takes some searching to find a bunch of really great wind band recordings but it's fun and I've been doing a lot of that lately.

The U.S. Air Force band is amazing, you can get tons of their best recordings right from their website. http://www.usafband.com/recording_search.cfm The Cincinnati Wind Symphony is great, easy to find their stuff (their style is completely different from the Air Force band more like a symphony orchestra- big spacious ringing sound- listen to their Fennell recording of Lincolnshire Posy by Grainger, then listen to the U.S. Air Force band recording on their website) (The USAF Band's sound is more "traditional" wind band- lively, concise, great balance) North Texas Wind Symphony's with Eugene Corporon conducting is awesome too.

I really object to this sentence.

It supposes that classical music and film music are the same thing.

Exactly. If you tell somebody you listen to film music they go "Oh you're into classical?"

NO

Goddamn stereotypes

It's not a stereotype, it rather refers to the fact that most film scores are works for (often) acoustical instrument ensembles, consisting of multiple cues forming one cohesive whole.

Marian - who thinks that's a fitting approximation.

:) Heartbeeps

Wow! 57% classical? BTW... I AM offended by stereotypes when I say I like classical and people think of Vivaldi's The Four Seasons violin concerts, Handel's Messiah and Beethoven's Fifth. That's only a diminute part of what classical music is. I burned those when I was 13 years old. I still enjoy them, but what I hear of classical nowadays is much closer to Williams than Vivaldi's. Some of the more recent composers from the 20th century have amazing works of thrilling action and emotion that could be easily be confused with some of Williams best scores. Just check out some Shostakovich's symphonies, Prokofiev, Stravinsky... I just wish more contemporary composers did works for full orchestra, some amazing stuff is coming out with the introduction of computer-assisted composition techniques. And finally, the main reason I admire Williams so much is that the fact he's 'only' scoring a film doesn't stop him from composing authentic works of musical art, and explore and reinvent himself.

Here's a quick list of my favorites...

BANDS/GROUPS: Coldplay, Simon & Garfunkel

ARTISTS/SONGWRITERS: Burt Bacharach, Eithne Ní Bhraonáin, Tracy Chapman, Loreena McKennitt, Don McLean, Ron Sexsmith, Suzanne Vega

COMPOSERS (not usually associated with film music): Ludwig van Beethoven, Frédéric Chopin, Aaron Copland, Claude Debussy, Sergei Prokofiev, Sergei Rachmaninoff, Camille Saint-Saëns, Pytor Ilyich Tchaikovsky, Ralph Vaughn-Williams

Pop, Rock/Pop-Rock, Metal/Hard Rock, Classical music and even a little Rap/Hip-Hop. I own like 500 CDs and only 60-70 of them are soundtracks.

Uh -- I do enjoy the Star Wars remixes of the "Force Commander" soundtrack. Not sure what genre that is.

I think they labeled it hard rock remix... or something... can't remember... something involving hard at least...

oh, and I listen mainly to Classical music and Jazz besides JW. Pop, Rock, etc. is to me only disturbing... I do however enjoy most of the Bond songs, but that'd be the only exception... speaking of which, Madonna's "Die Another Day" was dead awful... what were they thinking?

For me, I appreciate the Classics of course, but also New Age and atmospheric music. But I'm also a Rock and Alternative Rock fan.

Greatest Rock and Roll band since the 90s easily is Stone Temple Pilots. Anyone who has listened to all of their music from the beginning until the end (I hope there is more to come) would realize this. If you go to http://www.belowempty.com you will find 5 "B" sides that never made it to the CDs. Listen to Samba Nova and About a Fool. Some of the best stuff they have ever done, but never released because the "popular" segment of society would never understand it. Very Pink Floydish and Beattlesque.

Foo Fighters would be #2, behind STP. Others I listen to are REM, Collective Soul.

New Age and Contemporary Classical I listen to is Vangelis, Yanni, Jarre and Enya, just to name a few.

• 1 month later...

For me it's all types of music... but especially all types of GOOD music.

The range goes from Autechre to the Velvet Underground, Goldsmith to John Coltrane, Johnny Cash to The Flaming Lips, Pink Floyd to The Clash and Leonard Cohen and Herrmann and etc... If it's good, it's GOOD. The kind is irrelevant. I've also learned with time that all my preferences in art (music, movies, architecture, painting, sculpture, etc...) is personal. Althought I try not to be elitist when discussing or comparing my taste with others, it's really difficult and it's better simply to STFU and admire it by yourself. Not everybody can listen (or has developed himself to) to Blonde on Blonde by Bob Dylan. It's a masterpiece, and it worth being worshipped almost tehehe, yet shut up and admire it yourself, try to not shovel it in other people's throat :music: Same goes for John Williams, I say.

Various rock music sits in my room along with the film scores.

Some examples: The Offspring, Everclear, Foo Fighters, System of a Down, At the Drive In, Green Day, Incubus, Rage Against the Machine.

Since I can only vote for one, I picked Pop, because I listen to my "Sounds of the 80s" CDs a ot. Though currently I'm getting a kick out of the "West Side Story" soundtrack. Great music, and Sondheim's a genius.

Jeff -- :music: "Aida"

I guess Pop is close enough. When I need to relax, I listen to Enya. When I'm feeling angry, I listen to Alanis Morissette. And then there's The Beatles if I need to just rock. Or Madonna for a change of pace. Or classical, if I need to think. Film music probably covers all these grounds, but it's not quite the same experience.

West Side Story kicks ass. (I prefer the original Broadway Cast album over the film version; for a recording over 40 years old, it still sounds incredible.) In 1978, this was actually my second favorite movie and soundtrack behind.... Star Wars.

I like mostly pop/rock, my three favorites in that genre are John Mayer, Third Eye Blind and Maroon 5, I have a lot of favorite pop/rock songs by hundreds of artists even though in most cases they're like one or two songs I like by them, not like I am a fan of their work overall, I do like film music, my favorites by John Williams are his early 70s scores for "The Poseidon Adventure" and "The Towering Inferno", I like several other scores, but also instrumental music in general, some classical, some jazz/pop instrumentals but mostly anything that sounds melodic, hummable, memorable.

Although i listen to all types of music, i'm not too keen on rock, i don't know why but ALOT of it i just consider noise, however there are those that stand out.

For me, I have to mix things up. I simply can't listen to the same thing over and over unless I REALLY like it. things that I almost never get sick of are John Williams scores that are heavy on action/adventure, horror, or mystery. That is the staple of my collection and my listening habits. Other composers that I like are Vince DiCola, some Elfman, Horner, Conti, Barry, Poledouris, a little Goldsmith, not alot, just select scores from them.

My mom and I recently became big fans of Fleetwood Mac (although I don't have much of their pre-Buckingham/Nicks era stuff. I love the drama played between their lyrics over the last 25+ years... it's powerful, sad, haunting, and beautiful). Fleetwood and McVie are steady no matter what kind of music they do... jazzy rythm & blues, pop, rock, whatever. They are legends.

I've been a big Amy Grant fan for a long time, although I was never a fan of her exclusively Christian-pop music of the late 70's to early 80's. I became a bigger fan when her music grew up and took darker adult tones and became a little more acoustic before and after the early 90's era of strict pop music (which is cute, but not my favorite either).

Other bands that I like would be Guns N' Roses, Soundgarden, Shania Twain, Metallica, and one of my mom's favorites, The Carpenters. To a lesser degree I can dig some U2 (the same albums that Roald likes I see), Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters, early Pearl Jam (well, I HATE everything past "Ten") some Nirvana, Rebecca St. James, and Chely Wright, a little Harry Connick Jr., Don McLean, or Van Morrison, and asorted things here and there. Most of these however, I don't buy much of their music, I just like the casuasl listen on the radio and get a CD if it's cheap somewhere.

I listen to the radio often, and I can be found listening to Classical (I love Classical and Symphonic music as casual "ClassicFM" listening, but I own no classic composer CDs and have no favorite composers other than those who influenced Williams bombast works). More radio listening includes Hard rock, Light rock, Pop, Pop-rock, Heavy Metal, Classic rock, Adult-Contemporary, Christian, Gospel, Country, some dance music, Jazz... just an assortment of everything. Oh, Au got me into Thai pop (alot of cute girls), and Thai bus drivers got me liking old Thai music, even though I can't understand alot of it, LOL!

Music that I can tolerate little of is 60's hippy-drugged-up-beatnick music (other than casual radio-heard the Doors or Jefferson Airplane... not much of that either, just a throw-in example, really), overly political music (especially when it's ignorant and/or too leftist, which most of it is either or both), most rap (some have some lyrical talent, most is ebonic-laden gibberish applied to a mind-numbingly steady and overly accentuated bass line), extra-twangy country, most disco, that really out there occultish death-metal, pagan goth rock, hardcore punk, and anything that is played on the radio more than 1 time per day (which usually disqualifies most "hits").

You know what? Man... that took longer than I expected. Basically, I can like music from nearly every genre, can listen casually to most, and hate a large chunk of the rest.