The Lord of the Rings Symphony - The Philadlephia Orchestra - Mann Music Center - July 13 2004

Lurker

The "Lord of the Rings" Symphony will be performed by the Philadlephia Orchestra with Howard Shore conducting July 13 at the Mann Music Center.

I will not be attending.

Neil

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all of thosw who like the LOTR Scores here is your chance to hear LOTR Symphony Performed Live. Of course, it depends on where you live. Here is the info:

When: July 13, 2004

Time: 8 P.M.,

Where: The Mann Music Center in Philadelphia

Additionally, it will be performed by the Philadelphia Orchestra and conducted by no other than Howard Shore himself!!!!!

The tickets are not on sale yet, I assume they are going on sale after April 15, 2004. I found out about this through a mailing that I received in the mail from teh Mann Music Center.

The performace is one night only and LOTR Symphony is the only thing to be performed.

To me this is going to be a big treat because outside of JW, Howard Shore is a second close to me. I am hoping to be there, so maybe I will see some JW fans there :P

Just thought I would give you guys a head up on this sure to be awsome concert.

JWFAN4LIFE -AKA- Jerome

For a list of all upcoming Lord of the Rings Symphony concerts, go to: www.HowardShore.com.

Also, per post on TheOneRing.net, Shore stated that the Expanded/Complete (no specific term used by Shore) Lord of the Rings should be out in "about a year."

bruckhorn, who's :cry: about the LA concert date.

Me too, but we will go to London and stay there at a friend's place for a few days. Man, I am really looking forward to seeing Howard Shore again. Oh yes, there will be some great music, too. ;)

• 3 months later...

Anyone else going?

Btw, I got a job in NYC scoring TV commercials now, so I will be ever less frequent to post!

The concert was awesome, for those of you who weren't there. If you haven't seen the LOTR symphony yet, you need to. There is no experience unlike the having 200+ live performers. Even though Howard Shore was unavailable to conduct, the concert went on without a hitch.

The multimedia display of original artwork by Alan Lee corresponded to music, representing either a new high or new low in the concept of programmatic music. Regardless, his artwork was remarkable as always (Alan Lee was the primary art director for landscapes and sets for the LOTR trilogy. Most LOTR book covers are artwork by him as well, most famously his rendering of Orthanc).

The music was actually pretty good. While it was 2 hrs long, the pace was good (and this appeared quickened because of the multimedia element). I could have used a little less of the soloist during the "Two Towers" section, for I felt Shore felt a little too attached to this music. Instead, I would've rather elongated the battle of Helm's Deep music, but would not have cut the soloist. Also, like the film, it seemed to "end" more than once.

It was very well received, and a standing ovation lasted for about 10 minutes, which I think was longer than the Philly concert I attended last year with Williams.

The concert was awesome, for those of you who weren't there. If you haven't seen the LOTR symphony yet, you need to. There is no experience unlike the having 200+ live performers.

I still wonder what happened to that Berlin concert they announced before any of the others...

Alan Lee was the primary art director for landscapes and sets for the LOTR trilogy. Most LOTR book covers are artwork by him as well

Those that weren't illustrated by John Howe at least - who was of course the other major art director on the movies. ;)

Also, like the film, it seemed to "end" more than once.

I still don't see the many endings in the movies. And anyway, if you really want a lot of endings, take Beethoven #5. :music:

Marian - who has the Lee-illustrated deluxe editions of LOTR and The Hobbit.

:music: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (Cliff Eidelman)