Williams not scoring Harry Potter and GoF

King Mark

Well it'll be nice to have a Christmas Potter film again. I suppose you all know by now that the 6th book is supposed to be called (highlight. I don't know if this is a spoiler or not. Playing safe): Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You always follow a safe popular route. I wonder why ...

Considering who are addressing, it's not that hard to figure out, Alex.

They actually made official rules about this?  :shakehead: some people have too much time on their hands

Why, you seemed more then willing to have your own personal rule about a bold text being considered shouting, and were angry at me for breaking that rule.

And now you mock others for having set out guidelines for us to follow so we can avoid stupid mistakes like the one you made?

Who ever said it was my rule? It wasn't only the bold texting but also the way you said it. If it was to be found elsewhere in the topic you could've just told me. Jeez

He isn't, Rob Marshall is doing it. If Williams isn't doing HP 4, I'm very happy he'll be doing Geisha. I love the Spielberg scores, but I'm a bit sick of only established franchises or relationships scores from JW. I want someone new, in addition to the established stuff.

Yes, I know about Marshall but why is Williams taking on that project over HP4 if Spielberg isn't doing it? Dont tell me Steven talked him into passing on HP4! :shakehead:

And Joe, if you knew Miguel, you would know that was not what he meant by his post.

No matter how he meant it, thats how it sounds, John Williams is a film composer because he doesn't have the talent to be something "better".

If there's anyone I know that loves film music, it's Miguel. He as an ecnyclopedic knowledge on the subject and his collection is very very impressive. Believe me when i tell you that he has this form of music in a very high regard.

Miguel points out that he knows people in music who are more talented than John, but they chose a different path, and their music isn't well known. Well he erroneously makes the assumption that their musical talent would have allowed them succeed as well as John, if they had chosen film music.  

He actaully puts John down by making it seem the so called more talented folks chose a higher path, meaning John chose a more disrepectful path, which is that same elitist bullshit we get here from time to time.  

OK, this is going to be my last post here.

I didn't put down Williams. I don't find writting film music is disrepectful to anyone. You said that, not me.

The elitist is you, who believes that film music is better than anyhting else.

So this is goodbye, as it becomed aparent this is not the place for me.

If anyone needs me, use my e-mail

Bye now.

He isn't, Rob Marshall is doing it. If Williams isn't doing HP 4, I'm very happy he'll be doing Geisha. I love the Spielberg scores, but I'm a bit sick of only established franchises or relationships scores from JW. I want someone new, in addition to the established stuff.

What's wrong with an established franchise or relationship scores?

Maybe Williams decided he didn't want to score another Harry Potter film. Maybe Memoirs of a Geisha is a project he has wanted to work on.

Just because KM can proclaim he knows how Geisha will sound and it will be a dust collector doesn't mean it applies to all members of this board.

I hope not.

That's not true at all and I don't think anyone here would ever want you to leave.

Bye now.

I hope you'll come back.

Neil

Yeah, for what its worth, Miguel, though its hard not to take things personally, I don?t think JoeinAr?s thuggish, bullying style of debate is winning him any points in the eyes of the vast majority of people around here - quite the opposite.

- Adam

Miguel points out that he knows people in music who are more talented than John, but they chose a different path, and their music isn't well known. Well he erroneously makes the assumption that their musical talent would have allowed them succeed as well as John, if they had chosen film music.  

He actaully puts John down by making it seem the so called more talented folks chose a higher path, meaning John chose a more disrepectful path, which is that same elitist bullshit we get here from time to time.  

I didn't put down Williams. I don't find writting film music is disrepectful to anyone. You said that, not me.

The elitist is you, who believes that film music is better than anyhting else.

If anyone needs me, use my e-mail

Bye now.

what the hell is wrong with you,your doing the ocelot thing just because one person disagrees with you,what 's your problem ?

K.M.

Just because KM can proclaim he knows how Geisha will sound and it will be a dust collector doesn't mean it applies to all members of this board.

I'm not proclaiming anything.I just don't see why Williams in his right mind would quit HP for some project that's not even started yet and will not be directed by Spielberg.It's like him quitting Star Wars because he'd want to score (name of unknown in developpement film project here).

The real reasons he's predicting he wont score it a year in advance:

Is his health OK?

Columbus is no longer with the Potter franchise,was he asked to leave?It can happen...

K.M.Sure we haven't heard the last of this

It is you who puts John down by dismissing his "serious" work. John wouldn't be the film composer he is, if it wasn't for his searchings through different and diverse musical idioms.  

Im not interested in it, I'm interested in only his film work.

JoeinAr wrote:

Music that goes unheard is irrelevant.

Why? Because it is not popular? That would mean, according to your line of thinking, that Britney Spears is more relevant than any other artist or art form out there. Really clever, Joe. There are so many examples in history of people who started out being unpopular. Many of them died poor. Why do you always equate quality with popularity?  

Alex being obtuse as usual, why do you equate popularity with lack of quality.

You are so dense Alex, and I thought you more intelligent, how wrong I am. Music that is unheard is irrelevent not because its unpopular, but because its unheard. Is that concept beyond your ability to understand. Its only relevence is to the few that might have heard it. If John wrote unused cues to a score and they have never been seen or heard of since, how relevent are they. PUT you brain in drive, and figure it out.

Joe, looking for the multiple Stanley and Iris threads

I only saw bullying in your last post, Joe. You forgot to build arguments for your viewpoint. Well, I guess this is it then.

----------------

Alex Cremers

It is you who puts John down by dismissing his "serious" work. John wouldn't be the film composer he is, if it wasn't for his searchings through different and diverse musical idioms.  

Im not interested in it, I'm interested in only his film work.

JoeinAr wrote:

Music that goes unheard is irrelevant.

Why? Because it is not popular? That would mean, according to your line of thinking, that Britney Spears is more relevant than any other artist or art form out there. Really clever, Joe. There are so many examples in history of people who started out being unpopular. Many of them died poor. Why do you always equate quality with popularity?  

Alex being obtuse as usual, why do you equate popularity with lack of quality.

You are so dense Alex, and I thought you more intelligent, how wrong I am. Music that is unheard is irrelevent not because its unpopular, but because its unheard. Is that concept beyond your ability to understand. Its only relevence is to the few that might have heard it. If John wrote unused cues to a score and they have never been seen or heard of since, how relevent are they. PUT you brain in drive, and figure it out.

Joe, looking for the multiple Stanley and Iris threads

Alex is not being obtuse. You are wrong in stating that Alex equates popularity with lack of quality. Show me where he says that! I'm sure we all appreciate the quality of John's film scores, and indeed the skill needed to be able to write music for films. You seem to have taken a very one-sided stance on this whole issue. Just because some of us find your opinions to be narrow-minded and blinkered doesn't mean that we are taking the opposite one-sided argument. I love all John Williams styles including his film scores for which he is famous, and his lesser known concert pieces which I feel are more personal. How could they not be? He has final say over their content and style. By your arguments you have placed yourself into a corner. Please don't assume that we are in the opposite corner just because we don't agree with you.

pixie, I don't have to show you anything,

Alex has often derided popular films, only champions ones that either are untouchable, or when it suits his purpose.

Lalala... I think that Williams will score Harry Potter 4. It's not like him to quit... Or be fired by an established franchise. The fact that the new funky-name movie isn't going to be directed by Sir Stevie makes me doubt that Williams will do this film after all... Well he might... There's a good chance of it. But I bet he will score HP4... So in my mind, I say it's all good. So far.

He can quit after GoF.I would mind less if OotP was scored by someone else.

K.M.

Yeah, neither would I. The reason this is hitting us so hard is that we know that GoF has the most potential for a legendary score than any of the first 5 books. OotP is more character drama, mystery, intrigue, and teenage angst. Not that any of that is absent from GoF, but there's so many herioc moments and the ESB-like ending. Although I would love to hear Willams music for (highlight OotP spoilers) Fred and Geogre's departure from Hogwarts, and for the Voldemort-Dumbledore deul.

Legendary score is the right word,there might be no next oppotunity for Williams.

Also,while I really HOPE that Ep.3 will be the culmination of Williams career and ultimate demonstration of film scoring,in reality this has little chance of happening considering the treatment his music is getting in the last SW films.So while I wish Ep will be his best score ever,GoF has more realistic chances of beeig the one.

K.M.

And more K.M. random thoughts:

What saddens me is there is not many movies I get hyped up about anymore.A new X-men or Spiderman is just another CGI fest among many others where the most they'll do for me is reduce my boredom for 2 hours.Next summer,when the last of the Star Wars films is released something will special will be forever gone,the "big spectacular John Williams scored movie event",a relic of the days when going to the movies used to be a truely magical experience.Harry Potter happened to be the first "big thing" for me movie wise since those long gone years,and something new to look forward to that I'm intrinsinctly interested in,I really hope the JW "era" doesn't end with Ep3.

And what else will we have to look forward to on this board to keep our discussions animated.I mean if Williams had only planned to score The Terminal this year,I SERIOUSLY doubt a lot of us would have stuck with the MB day in and day out for the last year and a half speculating about that film (or the Horn Concerto,or Soundings).It's the waiting for a big Williams movie that keeps most of us here,and if there is no more anticipation then this board will die.

K.M.

I'm very optimistic for Williams pulling out all the stops for Ep. 3. And based on what I've heard (a handful of minor spoilers and details, nothing major) I think that this one will have the least last minute editing. The big battle is at the start of the film, so any Battle of Naboo or Geonosis situation would be at the start and over early. And there's the fact that Ben Burtt's editing role has been reduced, good news for us.

But what do I know, I liked AOTC. :)

EDIT- In regards to your second post, I learned to accept a couple of years ago the deteriation of the movie industry. Thankfully, I think TV has gotten better in some respects. I've spent much more time watching either new eps or DVDs of Buffy, Farscape, Angel, Deep Space 9, Coupling, and Survior. I've even managed to get some of my friends into several of these shows. I think I've been to a movie theater 2 or 3 times in the last year.

Yes,and that big space battle is already mostly completed too,so the rest of the film should be mostly live action and lots of light saber duels which have already been filmed,so there's less chances of whole sequences added at the last minute,making Williams job easier.

K.M.

It looks like Episode III is going to be the prequel that will most resemble ESB (i.e. the big battle being at the beginning). I hope its score will most resemble ESB's as well. :mrgreen:

Ok first of all, if any of you haven't noticed this yet, but Goblet of Fire is the most "expensive movie ever made!" This is all fact people. Goblet of Fire has the biggest budget for a movie so far (far greater than stupid Return of the King, god do I HATE LotR!). It's all in the records folks, Return of the King budget was around $305 million while Goblet of Fire's budget is (or about, but none the less is more than RotK) $309 million. Warner Bros. and New Line have the budget info on their sites (I think), but also David Heyman (Harry Potter series producer) confirmed this information.

I think JW is making a bad decision (or should I say a mistake) in not scoring GoF. Because for one he's turning down the biggest movie of all time (so far, in my opinion...and I know this is true).

I love JW's music and will always buy his CDs. Now for the replacement subject going on (this is IF John confirms this information later this year or next), I think the best replacement would be either James Horner (Titanic) or Hans Zimmer (Pearl Harbor). What do you guys think?

P.S: This is my first post....so treat me nice!

I love JW's music and will always buy his CDs.  Now for the replacement subject going on (this is IF John confirms this information later this year or next), I think the best replacement would be either James Horner (Titanic) or Hans Zimmer (Pearl Harbor).  What do you guys think?

P.S:  This is my first post....so treat me nice!

See the existing poll regarding that very subject.

Welcome to the board.

Yeah,we now have to wait for Williams confirmation on this.Maybe he was misinterpreted.

It' s just Ricard news is so stately"Williams is not doing Potter 4",and the news is not directly from Williams.That news title is only second worse to "Williams Not Doing Ep.3",or "John Williams is Dead"

K.M.

Since I am the cause of all this, by my thugish, bullying behavior,

I've decided to take a sabbatical from the board.

Sorry I've hurt so many people, who obviously wear their feelings on their sleeves.

Bye,

Maybe Miguel will come back while I'm gone, doubt Ken will.

Peace, I'm out.

John- dispensing with spoiler invisotext. Hopefully everyone that wants to read OotP has by now.

Since it's not out in paperback form, that's a pretty big assumption.

Neil - who has not read it yet

I love JW's music and will always buy his CDs.  Now for the replacement subject going on (this is IF John confirms this information later this year or next), I think the best replacement would be either James Horner (Titanic) or Hans Zimmer (Pearl Harbor).  What do you guys think?

P.S:  This is my first post....so treat me nice!

See the existing poll regarding that very subject.

Welcome to the board.

Hey diskobolus...where is that poll you're talking about located exactly (can't find it)? Could you have a link maybe?

For what it's worth, here's similar news from early last year:

"Williams Might Not Score 'Harry Potter 3'"

We have a full report on last Thursday's Q&A session with Mr. Williams, in which he mentioned that Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is not on his agenda...

The relevant part of the article:

The next Harry Potter film will probably be going to someone else. At the Q&A session after Thursday night's DC concert, Williams was asked about it and he said it wasn't on his agenda, "although things could change."

This seems to be of the same certainty as the GoF news, plus it was said by Williams himself and look how things developed. Also, I don't see where scoring Geisha and GoF both would be a huge problem. He did scores for two films released in the same month this year, and he'll have finished Ep III early in '05. And for reference, we had confirmation of him scoring PoA about 3 months after the news that he wouldn't be. Just some random thoughts, it's of course too early to predict what will happen.

Ray Barnsbury

"Ray" I was there, as were Mari and Eplicon when Williams said that in D.C. This was two nights before he said the TPM 2 disc set was complete (it's not) and that he's never scored for animation (forgetting of course about Mr. D.N.A. from Jurassic Park). He may not be the most reliable source. This is the same Williams that never composed a love theme for Star Wars before 2002!

Anyway, after hearing of Ricards sources I'm inclined to think this is the real deal.

Neil

John- dispensing with spoiler invisotext. Hopefully everyone that wants to read OotP has by now.

Yeah, I'm waiting for the PB edition to come out in the U.S.

Hmmm...if everyone else is going to leave, I'm going to leave, too.

Bye,

Alan

Yeah, I'm waiting for the PB edition to come out in the U.S

Right then, invisotext added.

I still say Williams should stop Potter after the next movie if he has to stop at all. The first 4 books seem to run together like the first half of the saga. OOTF seems to take us in a new direction which I assume will continue through the last two books. A change of composer would therefore make more sense after GoF.

"Ray" I was there, as were Mari and Eplicon when Williams said that in D.C. This was two nights before he said the TPM 2 disc set was complete (it's not) and that he's never scored for animation (forgetting of course about Mr. D.N.A. from Jurassic Park). He may not be the most reliable source. This is the same Williams that never composed a love theme for Star Wars before 2002!  

Yes, he sometimes doesn't seem to quite have a handle on things.

Anyway, after hearing of Ricards sources I'm inclined to think this is the real deal.  

They are of course very reliable sources, but I still hope things change.

Ray Barnsbury

Well the only good thing of Williams quiting on HP is that having only 3 scores, it is more likely that the get and 2cd expanded release than if they were 7 scores...

I hope all the people that left return soon :mrgreen:

He may not be the most reliable source.

LOL

I still say Williams should stop Potter after the next movie if he has to stop at all. The first 4 books seem to run together like the first half of the saga. OOTF seems to take us in a new direction which I assume will continue through the last two books. A change of composer would therefore make more sense after GoF.

Prisoner of Azkaban, the film, is as different from the first two movies as Order of the Phoenix is from the first four books. The musical style changed accordingly. Order of the Phoenix is sort of "out there," but it's still, basically, Harry Potter, and I'm sure Williams could have come up with something great for it. There's, of course, little chance of that now.

...Perhaps some sort of massive fan music project would work. Look, we've already got "The Second Task."