Williams not scoring Harry Potter and GoF

King Mark

I hope all the people that left return soon :mrgreen:

I just don't get it. A couple of morons make some dum comments and everybody's running around with a "nobody loves me" complex. As if leaving the message board in grand style teaches everybody a lesson about being nice. It only shows the rude posters that they actually got to you. Because they thrive on attention, getting upset about what they wrote gives them just what they want.

They're children. Ignore the childish things they say and talk about the stuff that matters.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He may not be the most reliable source.

LOL

It's both funny and slightly disturbing that JW can't be considered the most reliable source of his own music. But it's not necessarily something bad, it's like actors that have done so much that they can't remember it all.

It's both funny and slightly disturbing that JW can't be considered the most reliable source of his own music. But it's not necessarily something bad, it's like actors that have done so much that they can't remember it all.

He even said he couldn't remember working on Jaws 2 on the DVD.

Neil

"Ray" I was there, as were Mari and Eplicon when Williams said that in D.C. This was two nights before he said the TPM 2 disc set was complete (it's not) and that he's never scored for animation (forgetting of course about Mr. D.N.A. from Jurassic Park). He may not be the most reliable source. This is the same Williams that never composed a love theme for Star Wars before 2002!  

Yes, he sometimes doesn't seem to quite have a handle on things.

Anyway, after hearing of Ricards sources I'm inclined to think this is the real deal.  

They are of course very reliable sources, but I still hope things change.

Ray Barnsbury

I am seriously considering going to Tanglewood in two weekends for the open rehearsal. If I'm there, I'll try to ask Williams about it. Although can anyone recall when Williams gave information about future projects to fans?

I am seriously considering going to Tanglewood in two weekends for the open rehearsal. If I'm there, I'll try to ask Williams about it. Although can anyone recall when Williams gave information about future projects to fans?

Get K.M. to go for a little "indimidation muscle". Might want to take his sig pic too. He'll talk....eventually.

I've decided to take a sabbatical from the board.

Bye,

Joe, I'm touched. Who knew you could make such sweet music.

A.I., I'm touched that your touched, and I've decided that I'm not taking a sabbatical after all.

I've apoligized on this board to Alex, and I've done the same in private to Miguel.

To any others offended by my forcefullness, I'm sorry to you, however, as a passionate person, and personality, I won't be changing any of my stripes. You can either bare with me or not.

This boards too fun to really get pissy over the long term. I'm not sorry that I am a huge Potter fan, and all I can say about that is if you don't like Potter, don't participate in the threads about him. If there is a thread I am not interest in I don't go there. If you feel there are too many thread Potter related start some others on different subjects. This board can be guided by whoever feels the need to guide. To my friends at ths board, I thank you for you friendship. People like Neil (who has moderated this board just fine, actually better than fine, he's been outstanding), Stefan Cosman (you are a insane), Ray, Ren, Wael, KM, and others too numerous to list, ok a few more, Morlock, and yes Alex. I get on Alex, because Alex is tough on me. He is one of the most knowlegdable people here, and he succeeds in frustrating me like no other. I admire that.

I spoke at lenght to Neil last night, and in the months of Aug, and Sept, I may be scarce as I must perform a tremendous number of payroll audits. But if I am there and I am bitchy, again bare with me, this too will pass. To the others who have left or may leave, rethink your decision, lifes to short to sulk, and wounded pride is a waste of time.

JOE, back and meaner than ever, watch out or I will step on you like the bug you are :devil::):wave: 8O :P

DO IT! And don't take no for an answer! :P We should write letters of encouragement for him to score it, just to make our feelings known. Or just bring copies of KM and others' posts from this thread. Or brass knuckles.

Ray Barnsbury

DO IT! And don't take no for an answer! :mrgreen: We should write letters of encouragement for him to score it, just to make our feelings known. Or just bring copies of KM and others' posts from this thread.

Oh my, this is absurd... the last thing John Williams needs is to read whinings from fans concerning this thing. If you wanna write to John, try to say how much you love his music and his art... surely this is something he would enjoy much more than reading such sentences like "Please, Maestro, do another Harry Potter movie!" or "Please, Mr. Williams, don't waste your time on artsy-fartsy projects like The Terminal and Memoirs of a Geisha.

Try to enjoy the music, dear guys, and leave this kind of things to the people who really have to make the decisions about it. ;)

Assuming Alfonso directs the next film (and I bloody hope he does)....

Cuaron: "How's the score coming Hans?"

Zimmer: "Look, I've got this brilliant motif!"

Cuaron: "Go on, I'm listening"

Zimmer: "It goes...BOOM BOOM BOOM, BUDUDADOOM DOOM DOOM, BOOM BOOM BOOMDEEBOOM!"

Cuaron: "But that's battle music. There's not battles in Goblet. Closest you get is a broomstick and a dragon, and some wands linking up"

Zimmer: "Ok, we'll use it for the dragon bit"

Cuaron: "And the linking of the wands?"

Zimmer: "BOOM BOOM BADADABOOMBOOMBOOM!"

Cuaron: "Don't you remember John's family/past theme? Surely that's more appro..."

Zimmer: "BOOM DADADADOOMDOOM BOOM BADADADOOM"

Cuaron: "It needs to be emotional though!"

Zimmer: "I've got just the thing...I'm really good at this..."

Gerard: "WAAAIIIILLLLL!!! Ethnic WAAAIIIILLLLL!!!!!"

Cuaron: "Should have got Goldsmith"

I've never agreed with anyone on this board as much as I agree with KM's posts in this thread.  Well said, KM.  I wonder if JW would care that this news is being lamented by so many, and if anything would change if he knew.

John Williams has a lot of respect and love about his fans and aficionados. But are you really convinced that if he already has decided not to score Goblet of Fire he would change his mind after hearing that his fans are disappointed about his decision?!? :roll:

Man, John Williams is probably the single film composer who really has the freedom to pick and choose personally the projects he wants to work on... I'm sure he enjoys very much this freedom and probably doesn't want to exchange it with anything... even with his fans, I think.

His primary job is to compose music for the movies... not to please his fans.

GoF is another story,it's like it was tailor made for Williams to score,like all the stars in the Heaven gave Rowlings the inspiration to write such a book so that Williams could produce his final great epic masterpiece.This could be it folks,THE score that could top ESB,Superman and Raiders,that we'll cherish forever and seal Williams destiny among the Dieties of music.

BUT NO!, were going to get an "intimate" mid 15th century experimentalistic Chinese flavoured chamber music score with God knows what weirdass period instruments that don't even exist anymore instead that's gonna sound like a cross from hell between Soundings,Nixon,Stepmom,Sleepers and Essay for Strings.

I know my Williams,and can predict approximately how a score will sound no matter what style he uses,so don't say I didn't warn you.

Oh, maybe you should call Gorfaine/Schwartz agency and propose yourself as the new, affordable John Williams' agent and spiritual guidance...

;):mrgreen:

Potter? Epic?

yes,

Epic Alex, in the very nature of the word, EPIC.

Theoretically I might be but there's nothing epic about the narrative. Potter doesn't evoke the word "epic", LOTR does.

----------------

Alex Cremers

The 7 year cycle is pure epic, that is simply unquestionable, and GOF is epic. I don't see HPSS/PS, COS, POA, or OOTP as epic individually, though HPSS is closer than the rest, IMHO.

As much as I am sad to hear about JW not doing (at least as of now) GoF, I can see why he decided to do MoaG. After all he has pretty much done all of SS's movies, and the amount of exposure he gets from SS and GL means that he has to put in the work necessary to allow his work to measure up to the movie involved.

That said I am sad that JW will not be doing GoF. I could honestly tell CoS was not scored by JW completely...the stretches where he did not do the music showed VERY prominently...at least to me. All that said, PoA was a revelation...it was like rediscovering JW again, now in his latest phase. I hope that whatever is done regarding GoF music, that the producers consider going with a totally different composer...I'd like to hear what someone else might be able to do with a different palette and brush.

Well, yeah, sure it'd be cool to hear someone else's interpretation of the world of Harry Potter, but I don't think a new composer could capture what John has created. He knows what is right, we've pretty much discovered that. A new guy just couldn't do as well. Like in JP, JP2... They were great scores... But when a new guy came, the score was not half as exhilarating as the first two. Therefore, I say screw a new composer, I don't care about him... Unless it was someone fun, like Bruce Broughton... He did Homeward Bound... And that was cool. Or someone fun like James Newton Howard... But NO ONE ELSE. Just those two. No more. Still, I say keep the one that made things good and not someone who will fooweybunker it up. 8O

A.I., I'm touched that your touched

Joe, I'm touched that your touched that I'm touched. I'm touched.

This MB wouldnt be the same without you, and as much as I disagree with you, you must stay.

Oh my, this is absurd... the last thing John Williams needs is to read whinings from fans concerning this thing. If you wanna write to John, try to say how much you love his music and his art... surely this is something he would enjoy much more than reading such sentences like "Please, Maestro, do another Harry Potter movie!" or "Please, Mr. Williams, don't waste your time on artsy-fartsy projects like The Terminal and Memoirs of a Geisha.  

Try to enjoy the music, dear guys, and leave this kind of things to the people who really have to make the decisions about it.

Thanks so much for your input, interesting that you know exactly what one would write in this case. Because of course, a love of his music and art would have NOTHING to do with wanting him to score GoF. :roll:

John Williams has a lot of respect and love about his fans and aficionados. But are you really convinced that if he already has decided not to score Goblet of Fire he would change his mind after hearing that his fans are disappointed about his decision?!?  

No, that's why I said "I wonder." I'm quite disappointed by this news, and I'm trying to be hopeful so please just leave me to my "absurdity." Have you read Potter? If not, I can see why this is hard for you to understand.

Ray Barnsbury

I guess I'd go with James Horner if Williams can't do it.He has prooved adept in the past at scoring fantasy:Krull,Cocoon,Star Trek,Willow.I'd hope to get a Horner score in that vein,maybe on this he would actually TRY to make something original.Horner's themes can be beautiful too.

K.M.

I would be extremely wary of a Horner score for GoF. He definitely has a talent for writing great themes, but who knows whether or not he'd be very original. My first choice after Williams would still be JNH. I think he could really shine with a film like this. After that, I don't know . . . many composers could do serviceable scores, but the story (as in the book, and hopefully in the film) deserves something special.

Ray Barnsbury

JNH has nicely polished music and fancy orchestration,but I think he is a bit lacking in making his themes interesting or memorable.His main flying theme for Peter Pan sounds nice,but isn't very memorable.Same goes with Howard Shore.

K.M.

I agree with Ray about James Horner...while I agree that he has done some good scores (like Mask of Zorro and Field of Dreams) I have always considered him to be a 'derivative' composer; i.e., he assumes a particular compositional style and bases his music on that 'genre' instead of breaking any new ground. Field of Dreams I consider JH's homage to Aaron Copland, Mask of Zorro his homage to Malaguena/Spanish Zarazuelas, ST II: WoK his homage to Alexander Courage. While there is nothing wrong with using 'Variations on a Theme' as a compositional style, what I miss from him is the purely creative, imaginative perspective that JW brings to his work...for example I would never expect JH to do anything as creative or groundbreaking as 7YiT or yes, PoA.

So while I can't think of any composer I'd prefer to hear instead of JW for GoF, I'd rather take the chance and listen to something NEW instead of more of the repetitive stuff from CoS.

(listening to Hook I am convinced that anyone replacing JW who does NOT copy music from the first three HPs may face an impossible task in presenting a viable alternative)

. . . I am convinced that anyone replacing JW who does NOT copy music from the first three HPs may face an impossible task in presenting a viable alternative

Ain't that the truth. I pity the poor soul who has to follow Prisoner of Azkaban.

I pity the guy that has to follow up Williams, no matter what score he's following up. I would be terribly worried if I was the producer and John left.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Conrad Pope. He should score the next Harry Potter. He is a fantastic composer in his own right and knows Williams style and themes better than anyone else out there. And why not give this guy a break finally to emerge as a composer.

Surprise KM, I'm back.. So if Miguel IS doing the Ocelot thing, he'll be back too. Don't worry. Glad you still mention me from time to time. It's very flattering.

Ray, he has done stuff, but really, all you need to realize is that he has been Williams orchestrator on TONS of stuff, and he knows his HP themes intimately. He just finished working on HP 3 with him doing cues like the Knight Bus, Buckbeaks flight and the past theme. Just using Williams themes and knowing the way Williams orchestrates, he could pull off the next score and it would be true to the franchise. He also knows Williams way of handling not only themes but his chase music too.

He also writes ALOT of cues for other HUGE composers without anyone knowing. I know of 4 cues he recently wrote in one of the big budget summer movies out now.

I dunno why, but I would really want to see Basil Poledouris scoring this film.

That would be extremely interesting.

this has been the best thread I've read in a long time. It's nice to see people so passionate about music and finally working things out between them. I am bummed that JW may not be writing GOF, I'll just have to look at it this way: another composer for my students to learn about. . . oh well. bummed - but not devastated. There are many many more scores and works out there to be listened to.

Assuming Alfonso directs the next film (and I bloody hope he does)....  

Cuaron: "How's the score coming Hans?"  

Zimmer: "Look, I've got this brilliant motif!"  

Cuaron: "Go on, I'm listening"  

Zimmer: "It goes...BOOM BOOM BOOM, BUDUDADOOM DOOM DOOM, BOOM BOOM BOOMDEEBOOM!"  

Cuaron: "But that's battle music. There's not battles in Goblet. Closest you get is a broomstick and a dragon, and some wands linking up"  

Zimmer: "Ok, we'll use it for the dragon bit"  

Cuaron: "And the linking of the wands?"  

Zimmer: "BOOM BOOM BADADABOOMBOOMBOOM!"  

Cuaron: "Don't you remember John's family/past theme? Surely that's more appro..."  

Zimmer: "BOOM DADADADOOMDOOM BOOM BADADADOOM"  

Cuaron: "It needs to be emotional though!"  

Zimmer: "I've got just the thing...I'm really good at this..."  

Gerard: "WAAAIIIILLLLL!!! Ethnic WAAAIIIILLLLL!!!!!"  

Cuaron: "Should have got Goldsmith"

:)

Cuaron won't be directing, but ha, that was great!

Very true, and the musical continuity will inevitably falter.  Not that most of the general public would notice or care.

Ray Barnsbury

Actually, I think quite a few people would stand up and take notice to a Hedwig's Theme-less opening if it happens. It would almost be like having Star Wars without the traditional Main Title. But I agree that not many would notice any changes in the rest of the score. And if Newell mixes the music as low as it was in CoS, no one will notice any music period.

As I've said before, I really don't care who ends up getting the job, as long as there is an effort to preserve musical continuity. But I am still holding out a thread of hope that all this will change, there is still plenty of time.