Bryan Singer and Superman

X-Men" series director Bryan Singer signed a deal Friday to develop and direct Warner Bros.' new Superman adaptation, replacing McG who withdrew due to location and budget differences. Variety reports that Singer is expected to work with X2: X-Men United writers Michael Dougherty and Dan Harris to draft a film that starts production late this year in Australia.

The trade says that a tug-of-war over Singer's next project had been going on for weeks, with Fox's X-Men 3 competing with Warner's remake of Logan's Run to land the helmer. It now looks likely that Singer will not do the third "X-Men," even though he has an overall deal with Fox.

Besides the recent exit of helmer McG from the project, producers Neal Moritz and Gilbert Adler have apparently disappeared from the scene as well. The fate of producer Jon Peters also is up in the air.

The studio apparently scrapped a J.J. Abrams script that WB once was high on, and has tapped Australia as a reasonably priced shooting location, with a budget said to be around $200 million.

Singer also is said to have a new take on the film. Before his involvement, it was to revolve around Superman's battle with Lex Luthor and a mysterious figure from Krypton who has come to hunt down the Man of Steel.  

"My interest in Superman dates back many, many years," Singer said. "In fact, it was the Richard Donner classic film that was my day-to-day inspiration in shaping the X-Men universe for the screen. I feel that Superman has been late in his return and it is time for him to fly again."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news.php?id=5608

On one hand, I think Bryan doing Superman is a really cool thing and the movie will prolly be very good. On the other hand, I want my X-Men 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nonetheless, whatever he does, it's gonna be good.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's unlikely. Even in John Ottman died, Bryan Singer would clone him to have him score his films.

-Ross, not sure what to expect from Ottman.

Still, shooting is too early to get Tom Welling into the thighs, like they should do.

Freudian slip?

I don't really care about the brand they use, as long as they are red and look good in the custome.

Hey, that's good news, fellas! I love the work of Singer. This makes me really curious. Boy, I don't want to be in the shoes of the composer who's going to do this movie. I think the best thing for him to do is to avoid Williams' style as much as he can. I too hope he's not abandoning the X-Men franchise.

----------------

Alex Cremers

which will Superman resemble the mediocre film that was X-men, or the outstanding film that was X-2.

Joe, who thinks Bryan Singer is making a big mistake.

Well I guess it's better than McG or Michael Bay directing it.

Not too excited about John Ottman scoring the film since he usually works with Singer.

I'm far more comfortable with Singer at the helm than the list of directors that were going to do it. You just can't have Superman without Williams' classic theme, so at least I am hoping that Ottman will integrate that in his own score. As been stated, since Singer is a big fan of the first film as we all are, I am hoping he brings back the respectibility and legend that is currently done so well with "Smallville."

McG would have made it full of MTV shit and aimed it at the youth market, if nothing else. I have disliked just about everything Michael Bay/Jerry Bruckheimer has done, so that would have made very very angry. A Superman film with a Hans Zimme/Mediaventures score? Screw that.

Well, one of the first things they'll have to do is to write a good script (if they haven't already), allegedly based on that manhunter from Krypton, and find an actor who will play the main part.

----------------

Alex Cremers

The screenwriter is he from X2 fame and the upcoming Ender's Game (Wolfgang Petersen). So Joe, you might be lucky.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Well, one of the first things they'll have to do is to write a good script (if they haven't already),  

a good script is the key to a good film.

That and a lucerative merchandise tie-in deal with McDonald, Pepsi and Nokia.

Superman movies can be very expensive. Cannon Group tried to change that by being miserly.

I tell you one thing, Superman against the "Manhunter for Krypton" (2 super-beings fighting) means that the people from the CGI department will enjoy themselves again. Metropolis will be smashed in a million little virtual pieces. (Boy, I hope they come up with something smarter than that.)

----------------

Alex Cremers

In the orginal drafts, it was Braniac who Supes was going to fight, then it was this manhunter from Krytpon resembling Kahn but I dont know what they'll use now

I think this is good news. And show me a man who thinks McG is better for this than Singer, and I'll show you one very sad human being.

Ottman scoring this film is a big mistake. His style is way too clunky and limited, especially in comparison to Williams' original. Someone like Broughton would be better off scoring it. And as much as McG being off the project is good in directorial terms, he would have most-likely had Shearmur score the film and I would have very much liked to hear what he would have done. From the bit of music I've heard for SKY CAPTAIN, it would have been really great. For those who don't know, there is a scene for SKY CAPTAIN at AppleTrailers or at the Sky Captain site. Check it out. Pretty neat music and visuals.

I was very unimpressed by the music and the visuals from that clip. And my opinions on Ottman are well known :P.

But there is no need, Superman would win by a mile and a half, and if any votes don't got to it, Batman'll get 'em.

Hey, that's good news, fellas! I love the work of Singer. This makes me really curious. Boy, I don't want to be in the shoes of the composer who's going to do this movie. I think the best thing for him to do is to avoid Williams' style as much as he can. I too hope he's not abandoning the X-Men franchise.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Alex, we do seem to agree on some things. I'm not even a huge Supes fan but this prospect has me excited. Unfortunately, I'm also seriously concerned about the fate of third X-Men film. Perhaps Tom DeSanto will direct instead? Would the studio be willing to give him the chance? He's mentioned once or twice that he'd like to direct one but he's untested in that capacity. Still, I'd rather have him than see someone else come in and censored up the franchise. At least, he's passionate about the material.

IrishCal you better change your avatar or someone else might get offended and leave the board.... LOL

I wish they would let Smallville run it's course and then bring the cast to the big screen in a Superman movie.

Well, there is no doubt that Singer is a better director than Bay or MCG, but I still think this was a very unoriginal choice. I'm sure he'll do fine, but as some have said, X-men was nothing special and X2 was a very good action movie with some awesome sequences, but I wouldn't call it a great movie. I dunno, I kinda expected a more risky choice (not like choosing MCG, but rather choosing someone like they did with the new Batman Movie, Chris Nolan, someone not already associated with the genre). It's kinda similar like having Elfman socring Spiderman and the Hulk after he had already done Batman. And the prospect of a score by Ottman is scary to say the least. The theme for X2 was horrible.

Romão, who think it's a little hard not to make a cheesy Superman film.

OH dear!

He is going to make this. Great like as if this project doesn't already sound like as if it is going to suck enough. Better than McG, but still pretty lame.

His X-Men films are CRAZY overrated.

Probably, but I saw his first X-Men movie twice and never got bored for a second. I was quite surprised that I liked the successor too. To me he's one of the best popcorn flavorists in recent history of motion picture. So, I guess I'm an X-boy instead of a Spidey (although I haven't seen the second spider installment).

----------------

Alex Cremers

IrishCal you better change your avatar or someone else might get offended and leave the board.... LOL

LOL Screw 'em! They'll just have to get over it! ;)

His X-Men films are CRAZY overrated.

Funny, that's exactly how I feel about your beloved Spider-Man movies.

I never thought of the X-Men films as either over or underrated, but just right. It's fine popcorn entertainment now and again, although I give higher kudos to Spider-Man (if only because I'm much more familiar with the characters) and that it was done in a way that recalled the best elements from the first Superman film (the standard which I judge all superhero films).

Still, I am a little surprised that Singer was chosen to helm the next Superman film. It never occurred to me that he could do one because I thought it would be a conflict of interest since he was already dabbling with a rival franchise.

Looks like Ottman is confirmed:

Music From the Movies has learned that X2: X-Men United editor and composer John Ottman will reteam with director Bryan Singer on Superman...

After director McG left the project due to a disagreement with the studio over the film's budget, X-Men director Bryan Singer takes over the project. And this also means that John Ottman gets his most prestigious film scoring assignment so far in his career. At this point, we have very little information about the project, but for the time being we have confirmation from John Ottman himself:

"All I can say is that he [bryan Singer] is going to do it. And yeah, I'm editing and scoring," Ottman says.

While i'm very happy that Singer is directing over McG, Ottman is going to have to step it up quite a bit. And more good news:

The Superman-V fansite is reporting that Richard Donner and his wife Lauren Shuler Donner are in "deep negotiations" with Warner Bros. to produce the Superman movie, now that Neal Moritz and Gilbert Adler no longer on board. The site also has heard that original Superman himself, Christopher Reeve, might be involved in some producing capacity.

8O IF that turns out to be true, it just keeps getting better

Some of Ottman's stuff really impresses me... I love his score for The Usual Suspects, and that X2 theme is so damn catchy. Haven't really heard enough to make a judgement either way though. Really hoping Singer hangs on for X-Men 3 though.

Alexcremers said:

So, I guess I'm an X-boy instead of a Spidey

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the first Spidey film; I was convinced it would be totally messed up, but aside from the lacklustre villain I thought it hit enough of the marks.