Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Teaser Trailer

Miz

Here's a 1 min teaser trailer for the forthcoming film adaptation for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - those in the know should be looking forward to this, those not will have to read the books to have any idea about what's going on.

http://www.antiverse.org/HHGTTG_teaser.avi

http://www.fixit-4u.net/mrk/root/videos/hh...gttg-teaser.wmv

Also, can anybody identify the score used in there? I think it sounds Elfman-ish (possibly Sleepy Hollow, judging from what I remember of it).

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, this the one movie for which a towel is preferable to Kleenex.

Hmm...it should be forbidden to watch that movie without a towel when it comes out.

Marian - who read an interview with the writer of the screenplay by himself today and is now quite optimistic. :|

Yeah the movie really sucks from the one minute and 10 second trailer.

Justin

I daresay that's because you don't know what you're going to get. That's the interesting thing about the trailer - it can appeal to those who've read the books, and those with no knowledge of them.

• 6 months later...

The new trailer's out at Amazon.com! The actor playing Ford Prefect (I almost typed Thaxton) doesn't have quite the screen presence I'd hoped he would, but everything else looks terrific.

I've heard favorable advance word of mouth. This is one movie I've waited a very long time to see the light of day. I'm looking forward to the Vogon poetry. The more people are familiar with Adams' books and/or BBC show & radio series, the better. I expect it to be very funny.

"Resistance is useless!" (Evidently the Vogons were assimilated by the Borg at some point in time, hence the Borg have been using a modified version of this catchphrase for all their conquests.)

Finally this is looking interesting. I've been hearing a lot about this for a long time, but I had no idea what the heck this was all about. Now all of a sudden this looks like it could be a very cool movie. :)

Plus, it has Martin Freeman in it, who's been great in everything I've seen him in.

Here's the link to the new trailer at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/ho...1755705-8667924

Personally I think this looks great! I've just recently read both Hitchhiker's and the next book in the series, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, and I'm really looking forward to the movie. And the trailer doesn't even have what, according to reports I've read, are the two best things in the film: Alan Rickman as the voice of Marvin, and Steven Fry as the voice of the Guide.

And the music at the end of this new trailer is Elfman's Men in Black.

I've been a Hitchhiker's fan since I was 11 (back in 1981). I am VERY excited about this film. I'm also a little nervous that one of my childhood icons will be turned to mush on the big screen. Why oh why did they wait until Douglas Adams was dead before going ahead with this??? (Bites nails in nervous anticipation...)

Funny stuff! Can't wait to see this. Now I'm going to read the books, been meaning to for ages. :(

I'm at school, so I couldn't listen with sound, but it looks really cool! At times had a Men in Black feel (appropriate they used that for the trailer).

The guy with the gold glasses and red shirt reminded me a bit of Elton John, and the bit at the end with the shovels made me think of Monty Python. LOL

So it's being scored apparently by someone named Joby Talbot? Who is that, anyone know his work?

All I know is he's only 32, and a Brit, and seems to be already be pretty accomplished. Biography

Greta

Apparently, Adams did give the green light on several things, including the casting of Mos Def as Ford Prefect. Based on the trailer, the movie is visually what I pictured it would be.

The Infocom text adventure was very funny, too (has it really been 21 years since I first played that?) -- but I didn't like the game too much because it was little tough and it didn't have much substance. All it amounted to was a treasure hunt just to leave the ship and be told of an upcoming sequel that never happened. :(

I could use three pints of bitter and a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster right about now.

Plus, it has Martin Freeman in it, who's been great in everything I've seen him in.

He was superb in The Office. I'm so glad to see he's actually getting work -- and on such a high-profile film, no less! He is exactly the right person to play Arthur Dent.

Figo, like Pixie Twinkle, one of the old-time Hitchhikers, having read the book circa 1980...

... and who met Douglas Adams twice!

Apparently, Adams did give the green light on several things, including the casting of Mos Def as Ford Prefect.  Based on the trailer, the movie is visually what I pictured it would be.

I think Adams wrote the whole screenplay before his death. I know that there's a new character, Humma Kavula being played by John Malkovich, that is a 100% Adams creation even though he's not in the book.

John- who's only read the book so doesn't know about differences in the radio version, TV version, games, whatever else there is... :(

I really hope this is as good as most of us are expecting it to be. I've never read the books before, albeit a few start and stopped times. However, I am reading it now for real this time, and I plan on finishing it before my honeymoon is over.

However, my only past knowledge of this is from the Infocom text adventure as well. So I hope I enjoy the story as it is told in the book more than the story from the game!

Looks good, however. Hope to hear the score soon as well!! Looks like we have some good movies to look forward to shortly!

It looks very dull. Like a sheap combination of Men in Black, Independence Day and Mars Attacks.

Ofcourse, I haven't read the books.

I'm a huge fan of the BBC Radio series (though the new episodes tried my patience abit....) - having seen this trailer though, my long-lasting scepticism about this movie is disappearing fast....

I am reading it now for real this time, and I plan on finishing it before my honeymoon is over.

Ummm...you are not supposed to spend your honeymoon reading books.....

Or posting at message boards. :mrgreen:

Neil

I am reading it now for real this time, and I plan on finishing it before my honeymoon is over.

Ummm...you are not supposed to spend your honeymoon reading books.....

Or posting at message boards. :mrgreen:

Neil

Can't really do **much** right now being that we are both sick. We are like under a sickness house arrest right now!!

I think we got sick because of the craziness of everything leading up to the wedding. It took it's toll. Now, we just need to relax and rest up!

Therefore.... curling up with a good book during the day is a good way to relax.

After all the **other** stuff has occured, of course. ROTFLMAO

I still have high hopes for this movie, but the trailer isn't that special... except that Zaphod's "primary" head looks pretty much like I'd imagined him and that Marvin looks odd.

Marian - who might re-read the Trilogy before the movie is released.

New Hitchhiker's trailer! http://www.ugo.com

I cannot stress this enough: possibly the Greatest. Trailer. EVER.

Stephen Fry (The Guide) and Alan Rickman (Marvin) are both heard for the first time. Learn what the entry for "Movie Trailer" in the Guide is! You have to sit through a commercial first, and the streaming-only quality is pretty poor on my end, but it's all worth it. Hopefully it'll show up in some better formats soon.

If only the movie will be as good as the trailers... :P

- Marc, who has doubts.

Everything I've heard about the movie so far has been very positive. Combine that with the awesomeness of the last two trailers and I have high confidence it will deliver.

OK, after literally minutes ceaseless searching I've found a downloadable version of the awesome new trailer. The bad news is that it's still pretty low quality and it's in ASF format. But, it's downloadable. :(

The link can be found at The Hitchhiker's First Unofficial Movie Site. Click on the news story about the UK trailer. Or, as a last resort for the lazy, PM me for the direct link.

IGN Filmforce has posted a high-quality downloadable Quicktime version of the trailer.

Of yet another neat and slightly different version of the trailer you mean. :)

John- promising this is the last link post for this trailer.  bowdown

A promise you can't keep.

Marian - posting the link again, just to annoy the evil demonic skull.

LOL

Link away, link away! Everyone needs to see this. I've even deemed it sig-worthy and convinced the Melee Island COC to give up the ad space for a while. :P