Williams at Democratic Convention

SeekUYoda

I was reading on the main page a while ago that Williams will be conducting a concert to honor Ted Kennedy (I think?) at the convention, as part of tonight's (Tuesday's) festivities. Anyone think this will make it onto the C-span coverage, or know what time it will be? Yo-Yo Ma will also be part of it, I think. Any thoughts?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone who's going record "Ted Kennedy's Fanfare"?

K.M.Pretty sure Williams has nothing to do right now but compose a new celebratory fanfare.

I may get banned for this:

Can anyone who's going record "Ted Kennedy's Fanfare"?

You already have it KM, just play Jabba the Hut's theme.

That's not really a fanfare, though neither of them seem to wear pants.

Neil

It is if you listen to TPM - he makes Jabba's theme into a fanfare right as Jabba is entering his box to watch the podrace. :music:

It's definitely Jabba's Theme - the opening octave-and-a-minor-third gliss has been replaced by a D-major chord fanfare (hey, something else in D!) and then the descending minor triad motif, down in the basses, underneath an f-minor triad fanfare thing on top. It's just about four bars long, but it's definitely there. Track 9 (Anakin defeats Sebulba), 0:53-1:04.

That's a great fanfare, by the way. Very clever - one of the really cool things on TPM!

It's definitely Jabba's Theme - the opening octave-and-a-minor-third gliss has been replaced by a D-major chord fanfare (hey, something else in D!) and then the descending minor triad motif, down in the basses, underneath an f-minor triad fanfare thing on top.  It's just about four bars long, but it's definitely there. Track 9 (Anakin defeats Sebulba), 0:53-1:04.  

That's a great fanfare, by the way.  Very clever - one of the really cool things on TPM!

I can't argue with that. :music:

:wave:

I know its Jabba's theme, my point is, when the "Jabba the Hutt" theme is performed as a stand alone concert work is that fanfare included?

Neil

The way you said it, you didn't include the existence of Jabba the Hutt's theme as a fanfare, though. I just wanted to give KM something to listen to. :music:

And you said it's part of "The Flag Parade," which is two tracks earlier than "Anakin defeats Sebulba." Although probably the cues are just out of order and they really should be the same track!

SeekUYoda, who hasn't watched TPM in a while.

It's definitely Jabba's Theme - the opening octave-and-a-minor-third gliss has been replaced by a D-major chord fanfare (hey, something else in D!) and then the descending minor triad motif, down in the basses, underneath an f-minor triad fanfare thing on top.  It's just about four bars long, but it's definitely there. Track 9 (Anakin defeats Sebulba), 0:53-1:04.  

That's a great fanfare, by the way.  Very clever - one of the really cool things on TPM!

I can't argue with that. :music:

:wave:

I still can't hear Jabba's Theme in TPM.You people are all imagining things.

K.M.

KM, would it help if I wrote it out for you, on a staff, so you can compare Jabba's theme and the TPM statement side-by-side? It's definitely there! I can't think of any other shorthand way to explain it, besides how I did already. It's real quick, just the first two bars stated twice.

Get out your ROTJ soundtrack, play Jabba's theme, and listen when the tuba comes in. Ignore the opening measure (a gliss from B-flat up an octave plus to D-flat), since it may not be in TPM but it's covered up by a trumpet fanfare anyway, but listen carefully to the second measure (C A-flat F A-flat C).

Now listen to TPM, the time indeces I mentioned earlier - the first bar is that trumpet fanfare business and a nice horn gliss up to D-concert, and the second bar is the same C A-flat F A-flat C, played by tuba and basses.

I'm happy to write it out if it'll help you.... or is KM right and John, Neil and I the only ones that hear this?

No I heard Jabba's theme in TPM the day the score was released.

Of course there are those who also claim they can't hear the children singing the Emperor's theme in Augie's Great Municiple Band either.

Of course there are those who also claim they can't hear the children singing the Emperor's theme in Augie's Great Municiple Band either.

That's strange, since I recall someone posted images of the staves with noteheads and a four year old could make that visual pattern recognition.

That's strange, since I recall someone posted images of the staves with noteheads and a four year old could make that visual pattern recognition.

I never heard that either, actually... :music: The phrases are the same length (3 notes, 3 notes, 5 notes, but the intervals are so dissimilar that it didn't register with me. The general shape of the melody is the same too.... Interesting!

KM, would it help if I wrote it out for you, on a staff, so you can compare Jabba's theme and the TPM statement side-by-side?  It's definitely there!  I can't think of any other shorthand way to explain it, besides how I did already.  It's real quick, just the first two bars stated twice.  

Get out your ROTJ soundtrack, play Jabba's theme, and listen when the tuba comes in.  Ignore the opening measure (a gliss from B-flat up an octave plus to D-flat), since it may not be in TPM but it's covered up by a trumpet fanfare anyway, but listen carefully to the second measure (C A-flat F A-flat C).  

Now listen to TPM, the time indeces I mentioned earlier - the first bar is that trumpet fanfare business and a nice horn gliss up to D-concert, and the second bar is the same C A-flat F A-flat C, played by tuba and basses.  

I'm happy to write it out if it'll help you.... or is KM right and John, Neil and I the only ones that hear this?

My music comprehension falls short of beeing able to read written notes,but I know what a measure is,so I'll read your post carefully and check again.

K.M.Who read a whole online music theory manual last year to be able to understand JWfan technical posts.

The Emperor's Theme is absolutely there in Augie's. It's one of Williams most brilliant pieces of foreshadowing ever. Having kids sing it, and make it sound like a victory fanfare, when they are the ones who are going to be the Empire's thrall almost their whole lives. I love it.

FNC is currently showing live coverage of JW conducting the Boston Pops at Kerry's "Celebration Concert". The Pops were mentioned, but not Williams even though he is on screen the whole time.

EDIT- 5 minutes in, JW finally gets mentioned by name. The anchors (Greta van Sustren, Post reporter Cici Connoly, Dem strategist Susan Estrich) mention that he has scored "many famous movies". The reporter on the scene is actually talking about him.

EDIT 2- CNN and MSNBC are there now that Kerry has come in. He's on stage with JW. Fireworks and the usual hoopla.

EDIT 3- CNN and MSNBC pull out after a couple of minutes, FNC sticks with it. Looks like they are using recorded music for the fireworks, JW and the players are just standing around. JW is talking with Kerry, Edwards, and their families. I heard the 1812 Overture, then something else I couldn't hear over the fireworks. They are now playing Superman. And now ET. Both also recorded, not live. :?

Now Indiana Jones. It's a whole JW medly! Yes, as excpected, Star Wars just crashed in! :music: But it's still all pre-recorded. Still, this is really cool of FNC. They aren't saying a word, just letting the pictures and music carry it all. And commercial free. Now it's an opera piece that I recognize but can't remember the name of. Now Robin Hood Prince of Thieves main theme (excellent piece!).

EDIT 4- They finished up with a couple of classical pieces and 1812 again. Man that was a LOT of fireworks! JW is hugging all the prinicipals and hanging up front with them. The FNC reporter mentions him and that he's the composer lauriat (Sp?) of the Pops.

EDIT 5- OK, now FNC has pulled away too. Guess there will be no more worth seeing. Kerry's expected to speak, but I've seen more than enough of that tonight. So the spontanious running commentary ends (I had no idea this was going to happen, it was pure luck I had it on and was on the computer at the same time!) and I'm off to bed. Hope you enjoyed it!

John Cubed,

John Kerry, John Williams, John Edwards,

this in no way endorces a political view, just a great view of the maestro caught in a moment of history. How significant? We'll see.

No assuptions of his politics at all from me. He could just be supporting those from his home state (Kerry, Kennedy, Dukakis), which is honorable. Mass. just happens to be the most Democrat-leaning state in the country. (Not trying to start a political debate here, the numbers show this to be a fact. :music: )

Oh, and JW looks in very good health to me up there. I know some were concerned about that after recent news (GoF, not Jerry Goldsmith).

its against the rules here to talk politics for very good reasons,

but there is no doubt that John Williams made a huge political statement tonight.

I must say he looked old, even for 72.

This was some good JW footage. Here's a sort of transcript if you didn't catch it... I caught this on at the very end the first time, so I stayed up late to catch it again when Fox reran the night's shows. It was during On the Record with Greta Van Susteren.

It's about 30 min of footage, and it is REALLY NICE of John Williams and the Pops members. As they were waiting for Kerry to arrive, they are showing JW conducting the Pops (with choir), then James Taylor comes out and sings something (patriotic) with them briefly. They go into "1812 Overture", and during that they start talking about JW.

The reporter on the scene has a Boston view of the scene so she talks about how JW and the Pops have orchestrated the music and fireworks to perfectly sync- as well as the "perfect" moment for Kerry to appear on stage. They mention he's composed for many many big movies, Star Wars is the first they think of, they speak in tones of great respect.

Just before they go into the fast last section of 1812, Kerry appears, with a nod to Williams...then Edwards appears too, as the piece finishes they come to the front and raise hands in triumph lol. Williams looks so happy as he turns around to view the scene after the piece. This is when the fireworks start, to taped music.

As fireworks start, Kerry turns around, catches Williams' eye and rushes to him shaking hands, thanking him, urges him to come forward with them to see the fireworks. A little ways into the fireworks, he turns to JW again and speaks, and urges JW and front row orchestra members to also come closer to see the fireworks. He is very considerate and gracious to the orchestra.

The pieces on this recording are: Olympic Fanfare, something that is Williams I'm sure but drawing a blank, (Hopak?) Dance from Nutcracker Suite, America from West Side Story, right into a JW medley...Superman, E.T., Indiana Jones(interesting how it goes into..),Star Wars....then perfectly cut and timed (with a CRASH-BIG ole firework) into O Fortuna from Carmina Burana, then Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries, and 1812 Overture again. At end of fireworks, commentary talks about the interesting history of 1812 Overture, and why they would have chosen it to begin and end with tonight.

No commercials, no commentary, the recording was REALLY brilliant. AMAZING timed fireworks, just great. During the fireworks, Kerry's wife Teresa was really getting into the music, kind of waving her hand along to the music ;) As Star Wars came in at the end, John Williams looks up at the fireworks, very proud. Wow, how must he feel right then! Great night for him and the Pops, and classy of Fox to show all this.

Aww....after there is recording of the Beatles' "Love, Love, Love" and Kerry, Edwards, their wives, and James Taylor and John Williams all stand together on the podium arm in arm swaying. Williams looks excited, crooked bowtie and a little tufty hair from a night of conducting. Gotta love it! :thumbup:

This is such GREAT footage of JW, as little as we see him on TV. He's waving and pointing to someone in crowd, now he's softly clapping his hands to the music, AWW..he looks so happy, proud, I'm getting teary eyed... he is looking older...but in good health.

As Kerry, departs, he shakes hands with all, earnestly thanking and hugging JW, the Pops members look excited as they crowd to get to shake Kerry's hand- gotta say he gave the Pops and JW truly the respect they deserve. As they leave, commentary about Williams and him being conductor laureate. After Kerry, and JW, are gone from the stage, they keep showing the Pops members during commentary. They show good shots of them packing up, milling around, laughing, talking.

Well, I'm so glad JW and the Pops had a big part in this affair, great for them! I got it all on tape too!

Oh, and Ted Kennedy was a riot Tues from the clip I saw, can't believe they let him up there to lead the Pops in a piece! LOL It was Stars and Stripes, and he was just waving his arms like a madman (or drunk man maybe). The Pops were trying to NOT look at him, cause they kept cracking up too much when they'd sneak a peek to the podium..

Perhaps tricky stuff but...

Huh? Williams is in a position to choose what he wants to do...being at a democratic convention says it all.

Was there anyone not guessing he's left-winged? And is there anything wrong with speaking that out? I'm left-winged (though I've never cared for that terminology). Come on.

What is it nowadays anyway? There's absolutely nothing wrong with heated discussions about things like politics...absolutely nothing. This is not a police state people...though it slowly but surely becomes one if we keep this up.

People that know me will tell you I'm always in for tricky and sometimes painfull discussions...it's absolutely necessary for the health of a strong democracy! AND of a strong mind. You learn more about the awfully embarrassing or thought provoking things you've said, then about butterflies.

Think about it...we can't talk about sex, about politics, about religion. My god, we've almost weeded out all topics about ways of life, about human existence! In fact we're creating taboos about something so vital. Do we want to become superficial here and just talk about the weather? All so we don't step on other people's toes? Toes need to be trotten on. It will tell (some) people what to do and not, what to expect and not, what's important and not.

I want to know what other people think so we can all shape sound opinions about other people. Sometimes it means you conclude you don't like them. Well, not everyone likes everyone.

I think it's about time to change some of these rules on this MB. If something goes wrong in some particular thread, then people themselves will solve them don't worry.

This quote we've seen so much on this MB about neither deserving both freedom or security applies here too you know...it's essentially the same thing. In this case it's giving up views for so-called 'tranquility'.

Abandon Thread! Abandon Thread! Get to the life pods! Every man for himself!! *Awooga!* *Awooga!*

Justin - Fleeing.

Think about it...we can't talk about sex, about politics, about religion. My god, we've almost weeded out all topics about ways of life

Probably because they aren't related to John Williams or film music, this boards focus. If you want to discuss politics or religion, I'm sure there are plenty of other message boards that allow it. And that is the end of that discussion.

And where does it say sex cannot be discussed?

Neil - who wonders if Williams would have done all this if the Republican National Convention was held in Boston?

Neil - who wonders if Williams would have done all this if the Republican National Convention was held in Boston?

Been wondering that myself. But like I said earlier every time JW plays a prominent role at a political event it's for someone from Massachusetts. There are no prominent Republicans from Mass., but if it was in Boston and the RNC asked the Pops to perform, I think it's likely he'd do it.

John- ready to join Justin on the escape pod if things get ugly.

No, he would not have.

I was wondering how long it would take until a thread with this topic name will start having political connotations. Without discussing about politics, have any of you guys seen then republican party opening earlier this year when they used Goldsmith's end credits for "Rudy" when George and brother Jebb made a choreographed entrance? George shaked hands in fake slow motion when the emotive Rudy theme played and Jebb stood at the podium in synch with the final chord. Hilariously manipulative :thumbup:. I assume they had to pay Goldsmith to play it on National TV or he donated the royalties. Or is it the studio who owns this music?