Horn Concerto Dead on the Internet!

King Mark

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe technical problems? The change from Star Wars to Shostakovic came without warning...

SW and Shostakovich... it's all the same

but anyway, SHAME ON WGBH

That Williams is such a hack!  This sounds just like Shoshtakovich!

Weebo

Hm, the composition is fine, but the hornist sounds like Gidon Kremer...

:angry:

Williams suddenly had a nervous breakdown in the last minutes before the concert as he heard his twenty-year old version of the Star Wars theme, but luckily Horner was in the neighbourhood.

This ranks very high on my all time 'most sucking things' list. I mean come on. Why was there a link to the stream, if they knew they wont broadcast it to the internet. A cheap way to get more listeners to their stream - false advertising.

-Snowster

Williams suddenly had a nervous breakdown in the last minutes before the concert as he heard his twenty-year old version of the Star Wars theme, but luckily Horner was in the neighbourhood.

And Horner did what? Wrote a "new" violin concerto?

This burns me up! I still don't see how they could be cutting the Internet stream out of it, and not their local listeners as well. How could they have TWO broadcasts at once? Maybe the locals are getting cut out of it too. (Oddly that would make me feel somewhat better)

I'll post what my comments were to them...if others of you do...they're not that nice... :angry:

This is what i got back.

Dear WGBH viewer, listener or Web site visitor,

Thank you for contacting WGBH. Please be assured that your comments will be carefully read, recorded, and shared with the appropriate staff at WGBH. In most instances, you can expect a response to any specific questions you may have had within approximately two to three business days.

WGBH and your local public television and radio stations are community services that rely on the support of viewers, listeners, and Web site visitors. Thanks to folks just like you, we've remained true to public broadcasting's fundamental promise to inform, inspire, and entertain. If you would like to become a member of WGBH today, give securely online at https://www.wgbh.org/support/pledge. For information on how to locate your local PBS station, please visit http://www.pbs.org/aboutsite/faq.html.

:angry:

My God I can't believe it.

I'm at a friend's ( who's also really fan of JW), hoping to listen for this concert, and then Chostakovitch and Schumann....

I wrote to the radio.... I guess they at last will have like a hundred message concerning this false advertising...

Philippe BL banghead

Ps: Nice thread-title change, Neil. :angry:

This burns me up! I still don't see how they could be cutting the Internet stream out of it, and not their local listeners as well.  How could they have TWO broadcasts at once? Maybe the locals are getting cut out of it too.

For me, it would make no sense to cut out everbody except the locals... As a local, I would not need this f***ing stream, I would be there, LIVE!

But, technically, I guess, it´s no problem to split the stream...

Okay this is what I posted to them....I don't mind putting it. I know we all feel the same way. When they read all these, their ears should be flaming.

to WGBH:

A lot of very dedicated fans of John Williams are sitting at their computers now all over the world wanting to hear his concert music that many have never heard before. We have been tuning in to WGBH, getting excited for ths concert. At the last minute, all our streams go to Shostakovich instead of the concert we have been EAGERLY anticipating.

This is WRONG on your part as a station. It gains you a bevy of important listeners from all over the world for us to be able to listen to concert webcasts. This is a travesty, and I won't be listening to the station anymore, if this is an example of what happens when you have a SymphonyCast "live concert broadcast"! Terrible.

If there were technical problems, then please rebroadcast the John Wiliams Tanglewood concert so everyone around the world (who can't live in Boston or be there)CAN HEAR his music. This was going to be a BIG event for his fans to be able to hear Soundings and the Horn Concerto, and there was a crowd of listeners tuning in special to WGBH for it. You ruined it, what a shame!

The only right thing to do now, is to start planning how to steal the tape from WGBH. They cancelled the internet stream, but they still recorded it. Propably it will be the first and only recording of the horn concerto. How do we do it?

-Snowster

P.S. Of course it would be easier if someone recorded it from the radio, IF it was broadcasted at all.

This is what I sent:

I tuned in this afternoon strictly for the opportunity of hearing the John Williams Tanglewood concert (which was advertised as being broadcast live with the listen live @89.7 option at the bottom of the screen) and instead a different program is airing right now. I heard the Horn Concerto last November in Chicago and was really looking forward to hearing it again. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed that the web site didn't mention that the program was not going to be broadcast over the internet.

Is the program being recorded for possible airing at a later date? An answer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading.

Kathy Allen

I also received the standard automated reply, BTW.

I thought there was some hope that they archived stuff. But the archive only lets you know what you missed, whatever good that does.

Adam, thankful to have heard Imperial March for the 380,394th time before catastrophe struck

it's all planned.Some guy at the station flipped a switch so we only hear Stokacovich,and then sell the Horn Concerto recording on e-bay.

K.M.

I think I'm going to give up and go do something else (like maybe go exercise my frustrations away...haha) ANYONE live in the WGBH area? Just curious.

Well, good afternoon all (NOT!) :angry:

Has anyone considered the possibility that WGBH may have been asked not to go ahead with the broadcast at the last minute? Soundings was commissioned for the opening of the new Disney Hall - perhaps someone at Disney got twitchy about the likelihood of people recording bootleg copies of the work.

Or it could be a technical problem and I'm talking b*****.

Enquire with WGBH by all means, but let's not bite the hand that feeds us!

Damien :angry:

Omen II,

I believe that is exactly what happened, or, it was cancelled by the company planning to release a recording of the Horn Concerto.

Has anyone considered the possibility that WGBH may have been asked not to go ahead with the broadcast at the last minute?  Soundings was commissioned for the opening of the new Disney Hall - perhaps someone at Disney got twitchy about the likelihood of people recording bootleg copies of the work.

:

Why are corporations so concerned about substandard bootleg copies of music they don't plan to release on c.d. anyways?

K.M.