• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all have one, dear.

Not me... :cry:

Has it been released on CD? Can anyone mail me a MP3 copy please

at shamy@gmx.at

Thanks!!

There is no corporate consipracy: it is standard operating procedure to not stream live orchestra and opera broadcasts in many instances. This has far more to do with the orchestra musicians' contract than with any fear that someone will sell a CD-R on eBay. In addition to WGBH, both WMNR and WFCR broadcast the Tanglewood concerts live over the air, but these latter two stations have notices on their web sites stating that Tanglewood broadcasts are not carried on the Internet stream. WGBH's site never said the concert would stream; it merely said that the concert would be broadcast (over the air), which it was. It would have caused less confsuion had WGBH posted a similar disclaimer, certainly, but anyone who said that the concert would be streamed was jumping to conclusions.

Fortunately, however, someone at WMNR forgot to flip the switch and the entire concert (well, up through the second movement of "American Journey," which is playing as I type) was streamed over the web. The RealAudio sound quality was fairly lousy, but at least there was only one brief hiccup in the stream during the horn concerto.

It is always possible that NPR will pick up this concert for its national SymphonyCast broadcasts, but I doubt nasty threatening messages to WGBH will help the cause.

Well`,I`m pretty sure this cancellation has something to do with corporate  greed in one way or another.

Reality check: It's not called music business for nothing.

Next.

Marian - :|

Something tells me this concert is not being broadcast on-line.  Anyone here get WGBH on the radio?  Diskobolus, I'm looking in your direction.  If you can hear me, record this concert from the radio to hi-fi video tape!  That's our only hope, now.

Neil

I apologize for not responding sooner. Alas, I not at home for the last six hours. On the radio right now, it seems that American Journey is just finishing up. I did hear the Horn concerto in the car on the way home, though. Many apologies for not recording it.

Muffinboy, everything about this was highly misleading, including the previous half hour that broadcast live on the internet from the concerthall talking about the upcoming concert. I can understand why they wouldn?t have live internet broadcasts of a concert but I don?t understand why they had to go out of there way to give a different impression. The Star Wars music now seems like a way to try to placate his fans before the inevitable backlash.

- Adam

WGBH's site never said the concert would stream; it merely said that the concert would be broadcast (over the air), which it was.  It would have caused less confsuion had WGBH posted a similar disclaimer, certainly, but anyone who said that the concert would be streamed was jumping to conclusions.

The site announced the live broadcast of the concert, with a link directly underneath the announcement: 'listen live' on the net. I hardly call that jumping to conclusions.

Fortunately, however, someone at WMNR forgot to flip the switch and the entire concert (well, up through the second movement of "American Journey," which is playing as I type) was streamed over the web.

With all due respect, I think this post comes fairly late.

The RealAudio sound quality was fairly lousy, but at least there was only one brief hiccup in the stream during the horn concerto.

Did you record it?

It is always possible that NPR will pick up this concert for its national SymphonyCast broadcasts, but I doubt nasty threatening messages to WGBH will help the cause.

That's correct, but I don't think the label 'false advertising' is out of place here.

All the best,

Lotman

The half-hour preceding the broadcast was filler, as the SymphonyCast program starts at 2:00 but the live concert didn't start until 2:30; sort of a pre-game show. The live stream cut off at 2:30 because that's when the live music started. There was no problem with streaming a commercially available CD. Like I said, it would have been less confusing had there been a notice on the WGBH site like on the WFCR and WMNR sites.

The site announced the live broadcast of the concert, with a link directly underneath the announcement: 'listen live' on the net. I hardly call that jumping to conclusions.

Perhaps more of a skip than a jump, then.

With all due respect, I think this post comes fairly late.

Late? While the broadcast was still in progress?

Did you record it?

Yes.

So I have to ask, what's the difference between bradcasting on the radio and streaming on the internet? Both can be recorded and copied.

John- thinking WGBH gave the impression that the concert would be bradcast over the 'net more through incompetence than malice. But that doesn't mean we should be less angry. And agreeing with Marian that it is the music business.

Its clearly an abuse of one's listeners to broadcast a "pre-game" for a game that we're not going to be able to hear. Its not just failure to post a notice, its the fact that they actively gave the opposite impression. How is it a "skip" to assume what they said was true?

- Adam

Two things

1) I'm actually interning over at WGBH Radio this summer, and I could ask around tommorow, possibly see what might have been the problem regarding the streaming-broadcast, if there was one. No guarantees of course (I am afterall a very lowly intern, slaving away in the CD archives), but maybe I'll be able to shed some light on this, who knows?

2) I listened to the broadcast on the radio, and it was wonderful (sorry to those who didn't get a chance, of course, though I'm fairly confident it'll turn up online eventually). It was the first time I ever heard his Horn Concerto and I loved it. Quite accessible, with some thrilling moments, and plenty of beautiful ones too.

Williams also apparently felt the need to augment the latter portions of the two of the movements from "American Journey," including a more thunderous finale for "Civil Rights+Women's Movement." And to top it all off, during the intermission GBH aired a fascinating old interview with Williams from after ROTJ (I think, don't remember specific date) in which he talked about a good deal of interesting stuff -- the difficulty of conducting for film, the relationships between his concert and film works, and the muiscal language he used in SW.

Fortunately, however, someone at WMNR forgot to flip the switch and the entire concert (well, up through the second movement of "American Journey," which is playing as I type) was streamed over the web.  The RealAudio sound quality was fairly lousy, but at least there was only one brief hiccup in the stream during the horn concerto.

Wow. So basically this means that I'm even more pissed now, because it seems that with some more tinkering on the internet, I could have heard the Horn Concerto after all. :|

-Snowster

someone at WMNR forgot to flip the switch and the entire concert (well, up through the second movement of "American Journey," which is playing as I type) was streamed over the web.  The RealAudio sound quality was fairly lousy, but at least there was only one brief hiccup in the stream during the horn concerto.

This would have been valuable information if you had only posted it 2 hours earlier.

Neil

Fortunately, however, someone at WMNR forgot to flip the switch and the entire concert (well, up through the second movement of "American Journey," which is playing as I type) was streamed over the web.  The RealAudio sound quality was fairly lousy, but at least there was only one brief hiccup in the stream during the horn concerto.

Well,why don't you upload the Horn Concerto files on something like a Yahoo Briefcase (it's free)so we can all download them...

http://briefcase.yahoo.com/

K.M.

Well,why don't you upload the Horn Concerto files on something like a Yahoo Briefcase (it's free)so we can all download them...

That would be a copyright violation.

This would have been valuable information if you had only posted it 2 hours earlier.

I didn't know this information 2 hours before I posted it. Sorry to upset everyone, maybe I shouldn't have posted anything at all.

If I would have thought to search for "national public radio," I might have come across those sites myself. Still, good to know of for the future.

There'll be more performances of these pieces, somewhere...probably this year even. I have never heard them, but eventually there'll be a chance, even if it's not until a CD release. Oh well. The interview sounded fascinating though...

Wasn't there a webcast in late 2003 of Soundings at least? Maybe that'll be replayed somewhere sometime. Now I think I'll start keeping an eye on these NPR sites more. You never know what you can find there, there's always various events and other good stuff (non JW) on NPR. Our local NPR just has the plain vanilla programs, I'm not near enough to any good orchestra's base to get their concerts.

That would be a copyright violation.

yeah right,how about YOUR freakin recording.I figured you would say this for some reason,something just "isn't right" here.Were you lurking on the MB when we were all scrambling for the broadcast,only to throw it on our faces 2 hours later?.Normal fans wouldn't hesitate to share this right away.

K.M.

There is no corporate consipracy: it is standard operating procedure to not stream live orchestra and opera broadcasts in many instances.  This has far more to do with the orchestra musicians' contract than with any fear that someone will sell a CD-R on eBay.  In addition to WGBH, both WMNR and WFCR broadcast the Tanglewood concerts live over the air, but these latter two stations have notices on their web sites stating that Tanglewood broadcasts are not carried on the Internet stream.  WGBH's site never said the concert would stream; it merely said that the concert would be broadcast (over the air), which it was.  It would have caused less confsuion had WGBH posted a similar disclaimer, certainly, but anyone who said that the concert would be streamed was jumping to conclusions.

Correct... However, two years ago, the very same radio did broadcast through the internet a JW (half classical, half film music) concert...

That's good news.... tell us if you can do something of it.

(Actually, all the misspellings of "Shostakovich" here are nearly worse than the actual cancellation).

Actually, that's how we write it here: Chostakovitch. :|

Philippe BL (really pissed off he couldn't listen to it)

yeah right,how about YOUR freakin recording.

Recording for personal use in the home is allowed under copyright law. Look up the Supreme Court's landmark Betamax decision some time:

http://www.eff.org/legal/cases/sony_v_univ...al_decision.php

I figured you would say this for some reason.Were you lurking on the MB when we were all scrambling for the broadcast,only to throw it on our faces 2 hours later?

No, I wasn't. I was listening to the broadcast and only had the opportunity to check in when "American Journey" started. I check this messageboard infrequently and rarely post. Based on the hostile response today I doubt I will be posting again any time soon. Sorry if I offended you somehow, but I was only trying to be helpful.

No,you barge in here claiming to have a recording of a piece we all desperately want to hear,proceed tell us 2 hours late it was streamed on another station,refuse to share it with anyone, then throw some stupid copyright law link in my face.Your trying to figure out WHY I'm getting upset???

K.M.

Damn, easy does it fellas. I was just trying to point out to Muffinboy he shouldn't blame us for being gullible when all signs pointed to there being an actual internet broadcast. Didn't want to contribute to making him an outcast.

- Adam

I was just trying to point out to Muffinboy he shouldn't blame us for being gullible when all signs pointed to there being an actual internet broadcast.

I didn't mean to attach blame to anyone; if it seemed that way, please accept my apologies. While I myself wasn't surprised, I can see how everyone else was misled. Thanks, Adam, for your considerate response.

Bob

There is no corporate consipracy: it is standard operating procedure to not stream live orchestra and opera broadcasts in many instances.  This has far more to do with the orchestra musicians' contract than with any fear that someone will sell a CD-R on eBay.

Standard operating proceedure? Is this the first time WGBH ever did or planned a live webcast?

If not, then they would have known ages ago that it was not likely to be feasible for the reasons you mention and possibly other reasons too. But if they had assumed this was okay because of some agreement with the players' union which fell thru at the last minute, then I'll accept that.

If not, and they knew this couldn't happen, they should never have advertised it for webcasting. Actually, maybe the 2:00pm "pre-game show" was designed for just that purpose, just in case a contract negotiation didn't work out. Just speculation...

Bugger, I got up at 3:20am to hear the advertised broadcast,

Wasted tons of sleep time wandering if the broadcast had been delayed. Surely they could have made an announcent prior to the Shastokovich piece informing listeners that the advertised broadcast wasn't going ahead. Doesn't the station broadcast concerts every week???

Has there been an explanation from the station yet???

Yeah I just did, wasn't really rude...kind of like:

I was led to believe from your website that the concert would be braodcasted, so I was dissappointed when I woke up at 3:30am to find that was not the case. Will you be rebroadcasting this concert?

That'll show them...

C'mon,we need to show that sort of false advert doesn't stand with us.Radio stations owe their existance to listeners.

K.M.

But if they had assumed this was okay because of some agreement with the players' union which fell thru at the last minute, then I'll accept that.  

Come on, such things, like contracts for public airing are signed ages before the concert. I think the only possible explanation is a delusive advertising by WGRXB (or whatever the name is ;) )

That´s it I guess.

I don't understand the attacks on muffinboy, he did nothing but announce he had a recording.

It's a matter of saying, "I have it and you don't". If you have no intention of sharing something don't even bring it up that you have it. We'd all be hapier knowing that this didn't get out there.

Neil