Hal Leonard signature editions

ocelot

For those of us who like to collect the written full scores, just wanted to let you know that Hal Leonard are releasing two more scores. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (they didn't say which pieces but it's more expensive than the previous 2 Potters so it leads me to believe that it'll have quite a few) and "The Tale of Viktor Navorski" from The Terminal.

That is indeed very good news - I was hoping they would release music from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban! And I enjoyed The Terminal... thanks for letting us know!

I always call hal leonard to find out if any new scores are going to be released and those are the next two on their list. It's not on their website yet though.

I have quite a bit...looking to buy more...when are those new ones suppose to come out?I want to save on shipping and order a bunch at the same time..

Richard

I'm not really on a budget to be honest. They are worth every penny to me.

I sure don't have them all, but they're what I do for living (conducting)

Philippe BL

shut it ROTFLMAO

Anyway, I just called today and the title for The terminal is "Viktor's Tale" so I don't know if it's the first track, or if it's expanded in any way.

is this right? i also went to the website for hal leonard and the price exceeds $500!!!! Did Williams actually sign these things....and in blood?

I'll make you a deal....any JW fan who wants to send me their physical home address via e-mail, just let me know if you have a tendency to leave a bottom level window cracked. also, shoot me a message when you're not going to be home, and if the security devices have been de-activated....just curious. oh, and where are the signature editions located in the household?

is this right? i also went to the website for hal leonard and the price exceeds $500!!!!

Those prices are for score and orchestral parts.

The study scores are more like $40-70.

LOL, exactly, the score itself is between 40 and 75 depending on which one it is and the amount of music. Unless you are planning on having an orchestra and buying the parts to conduct them in a concert I suggest you only buy the score......

the score shows you all the instruments, what they play and so on... excuse my lack in english musical terms :)

The 40-75$ score as mentionned,is basically all the orchestra parts compressed in a way that you can see them all at once.That shows you all the different parts that are played.The other one(500+)is that same score..plus all the individual parts.

Richard

let me try this way...

The score that is 40 to 75 dollars is not a reduced score, it's not a piano version, it is what Williams has in front of him on the podium, the full score, with all the instruments showing on the page.

the Score and parts are for 400. That is the full score AND evry individual part for each instrument, so that you can give the flute players their parts, the oboes, the violins, etc etc etc

Unless you are a conductor with an orchestra you don't need and shouldn't want the 400 dollar one.

• 5 months later...

Hal Leonard has put the March from 1941" Signature Edition online. Should become available soon. Still waiting for azkaban, Terminal and more.

Enjoy.

Hal Leonard has put the March from 1941" Signature Edition online. Should become available soon. Still waiting for azkaban, Terminal and more.

Enjoy.

Yes I noticed that today :mrgreen: but I only found the complete score + parts :dance: expensive!!!

• 17 years later...
2 hours ago, Gibster said:

I was looking into getting one of the star wars Hal leonard Deluxe sheet music (85$), how accurate are they? Are they from Williams?

Very accurate, and authorised by JW himself. These published editions feature essentially the same orchestration as the original recordings. Most of the time, JW uses these versions when he conducts concerts of his music.

3 hours ago, Gibster said:

I was looking into getting one of the star wars Hal leonard Deluxe sheet music (85$), how accurate are they? Are they from Williams?

The orchestrations are not identical to the original recordings, although very close. Typically, in the original movie recordings he uses 2 harps, 2 pianos, and larger brass ensembles. In the Signature Edition scores, these are reduced to a standard concert orchestra with 1 harp, 1 piano, and usually 4 horns, 3-4 trumpets, 3-4 trombones and 1 tuba. As an example of the modifications induced by this reduction, there is a fast figuration in the accompainment of the flute solo in Leia's theme which is played by 2 alternating harps in the original (1977) recording, while it is played by a celeste in the Signature Edition suite (while the harp plays chords). As another example, there are two versions of Yoda's theme: the first one, recorded during the sessions of ESB, and a second one, written for a suite that was first offered to orchestras for rental, with a slightly altered orchestration in the reprise of the theme. The Hal Leonard score matches this second version.

Keep in mind that the Signature Edition version is what JW plays in concerts, so it can be considered as his "final word" on these pieces. In my opinion, the Star Wars suite is worth the money (although for the same amount, you can get a complete film score published by Omni Music or Chris Siddall... but not of Star Wars, unfortunately).