What soundtracks do you have and have not seen the movie?

stewdog1

I know that a lot of us here have many upon many soundtracks. My question to you is what soundtracks do you have that you enjoy immensly but have never seen the film?

The top of my list would be Legend by Jerry Goldsmith. A masterpiece that IMO, does not need the movie to be seen to enjoy it. It's too bad Goldsmith changed his style after this one.

Rambo: First Blood Part II is another one. I've only seen bits and pieces of this movie, but never the whole thing. Great action music and makes you drive faster when you listen to it in the car. :baaa:

Schindler's List: This movie is still on my need to see list, just haven't gotten around to it.

Mists of Avalon: A made for TV movie that came out about a year ago. Wonderful music that is quickly becoming one of my favorite discs. Those of you not in America that have never heard of this, do yourself a favor and check this out. It is by Lee Holdridge and probably his best effort to date.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a weird case I was gonna start a whole new thread for, but I'll mention it here.

I have a friend who LOVES the Star Wars scores. But he hasn't watched a SINGLE movie of the saga. I mean, I've told him what happens in every certain moment, but he refuses to watch the movies. He says it might ruin his vision of the Star Wars universe.

I THINK I want him to watch them, but I don't know.

Any ideas?

Thanks for this thread, stewdog. I never realized I had this much music from movies I haven't seen.

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story* (Edelman)

Gosford Park (Doyle)

Iris (Horner)

Men With Brooms Theme* (Semko)

Minority Report (Williams)

Crimson Tide* (Zimmer)

The Terminator* (Fiedel)

Thin Red Line* (Zimmer)

The Quiet Man* (Young)

Plutnick and MacLeane* (Armstrong)

Come See The Paradise* (Edelman)

*One or two tracks, not full scores

Thanks for this thread, Ross.  I never realized I had this much music from movies I haven't seen.

You can call me stewdog if you would like. :baaa:

Hey, stewdog, leave the man has his own views!

Yes, NeejaHalycon, you're welcome for the thread.

:baaa: 8O

-ROSS, kidding

I personaly dont have any soundtracks of movies I have not seen.

Before I buy a soundtrack, I usually rent the movie at Blockbuster to see if the music is good and so I know what track corresponds to what part of the movie.

I have a friend who LOVES the Star Wars scores. But he hasn't watched a SINGLE movie of the saga.

Do you consider me as your friend??

I'm honest and have to say that I only saw Star Wars part I, II, en IV :oops:

Sorry... but it is true.

I can't help it. Even after Yorin broadcasted all 4 movies prior to the release of AOTC, I didn't have time to see them.

He and I saw AOTC twice in the cinema already, and I have TPM on VCD, from the time I was in China. It even has Chinese subtitles!

Lots. I usually try to see the film at least after I have the score, though not as often now after I watched Air Force One for that reason. :mrgreen: But I wouldn't know some of my favourite scores if I always had to watch the movie first.

Marian - who watched the Star Wars and Indy movies only after having heard the suites.

Mists of Avalon:  A made for TV movie that came out about a year ago.  Wonderful music that is quickly becoming one of my favorite discs.  Those of you not in America that have never heard of this, do yourself a favor and check this out.  It is by Lee Holdridge and probably his best effort to date.

I love this soundtrack! I was just listening to it today at work. I also saw the movie and did not enjoy it as much as the music, but perhaps I need to watch it again now that I know the music. Stewdog, if you like Lee Holdridge you should check out the CD Charles Gerhardt conducts the film music of Lee Holdridge, if you don't already have it. :mrgreen:

A lot! I've seen most of the Williams movies I own soundtracks too, but there are a few. It's mostly the Goldsmith I own (because he's got a lot of good music/crappy movie scores). I've actually sat down and watched a LOT of movies just because I had the soundtrack. The OMEN trilogy comes to mind...

Never Seen,

Empire of the Sun (Williams)

Last Castle (Goldsmith)

Legend (Goldsmith)

Tora!Tora!Tora! (Goldsmith)

Lionheart (Goldsmith)

Rambo II (Goldsmith)

Alexander Nevsky (Prokofiev)

Ivan the Terrible (Prokofiev)

Michael Collins (Goldenthal)

Jurassic Park III (Davis)

That's all I can think of!

Soundtracks I have for movies I haven't seen:

Angela's Ashes

Seven Years in Tibet

Always

Dracula

Stepmom (I haven't seen it in its entirety)

And many 60s/70s Williams scored films

~Harry, who's probably missing some

Soundtracks that I really dig, but haven't seen the movie:

Stanley and Iris (Williams)

Son of the Morning Star (Safan)

Magdalene (Eidelman)

O Pioneers (Broughton)

And there's plenty of other soundtracks that I own, but haven't seen the movie (but I don't "really" dig them). Plus there are those that I picked up and because of the score, saw the movie (i.e. Hummie Mann's Year of the Comet and Doyle's Much Ado About Nothing).

bruckhorn

Stewdog, if you like Lee Holdridge you should check out the CD Charles Gerhardt conducts the film music of Lee Holdridge, if you don't already have it.  :)

I think I might check this one out. Thanks, Mari!

I have never seen

E.T.

A.I.

Crimson Tide,

Dragonheart

Seven Years in Tibet

Minority Report,

Hunchback of Notre Dame (Disney),

but I have all their soundtracks.

Mostly I get soundtracks from the movies I watch.

Music from this score gets used a lot in commercials, I've noticed. That and Dragonheart!

:) Cantina Band

My soundtrack collection is really not that extensive (only about 20 CDs) and only two are for films I have not seen. They are Dracula (1931) by Philip Glass and Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by You-Know-Who. I have listened to excerpts of music from films I have never seen but I believe it is distracting and ultimately detrimental to "the film-watching process" to watch a movie when one is already overly-familiar with the score. As much as this might rile a few people, my priority is with the overall film itself, not the music that accompanies it. While I love film music and value it immensely I am currently re-evaluating the film music I choose to listen to. But it's all to complicated and neurotic to go into now...

CYPHER

I have never seen  

E.T.  

Well that's a crime! :)

Ha, you have committed 2 bigger crimes!

Morn - Who thinks CYPHER is crazy

I have never seen  

E.T.  

Well that's a crime! 8O

Ha, you have committed 2 bigger crimes!

:) Ik know...

Music from this score gets used a lot in commercials, I've noticed. That and Dragonheart!

Yes, most recently in promos for "American Dreams" on NBC. Does anyone know if the artist has a say if someone wants to use their music in a trailer? Or is that handled through the studio?

Funny, Harry.

I have no soundtracks to any films that I haven't seen. but i guess I am a movie fan first and soundtrack fan second. I make it a point to see the movies. Granted it may take me a bit to see the film, but currently I have none.

Joe, who has yet to get Minority Report or see the film.

I buy the soundtracks when I see them; sometimes I don't listen to them until I've seen the movie. Soundtracks that I have but haven't seen:

The Reivers

The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing

Nixon

Stepmom

Minority Report (yeah, yeah, I'll see it this weekend!)

Penelope

The Paper Chase

Conrack

Stanley & Iris

The Fury

The Eiger Sanction

John Goldfarb, Please Come Home

Soundtracks I have to movies that I've seen maybe once and don't remember very much:

Earthquake

Heartbeeps

Presumed Innocent

Ohh.... too many to list.

Presumed Innocent for one, Towering Inferno, Sleepers, Dragonslayer and more!

haven't seen:

Minority Report (yeah, yeah, I'll see it this weekend!)

Good lad. :)

I never saw:  

Superman

:wow:

8O

;)

Justin -Who's not going to say a thing about Jaws.... :|

I never saw:

Jaws  

:cry:  :cry:  :cry:

SOMEONE CATCH ME, I think I am going to faint. :cry2:

Joe ;) Titanic, My Heart Will Go On.

Like Gamecube and Joe, I never buy a CD unless I have seen the film. After all, the score was written to accompany a film, so to hear it on CD first is the wrong way to go, in my opinion. If I like the score enough in the film, I'll buy the CD. Often, the CD presentation isn't as exciting as the film presentation, but I still listen.

Therefore, the answer is none.

Jeff -- who isn't shocked anymore when people say they haven't seen Star Wars, Superman, ET, etc.

I purchase most of my soundtracks after seeing the movie. I have also purchased soundtracks after hearing some of the music in a different context. I love figure skating and if a piece of music resonates with me while watching, I will buy it. This year I bought The Man In The Iron Mask because of the way Alexi Yagudin interpreted it while winning the gold medal. I love the soundtrack, but don't know if I will see the film. ;)

I have the score for Harry Potter and have not seen it yet. I may have one or two others but it's rare for me to buy a score CD without seeing the film. I usually see the film first.

Too many to count. I think around 200. It's not so much that I don't want to see the movie (although in some cases it probably wouldn't be such a bad idea!), as much as that I don't have the time to catch up on everything -- which I may or may not! Several years ago, I actually was starting to catch up and got it down to something like 70. But I tend to habitually get soundtracks anyway sight unseen because I'm more than familiar enough with such and such a composer to know what to expect when I get it.

A lot !!!

Stepmom

Amistad

Sleepers

Stanley and Iris

Born on the Fourth of July

The Accidental Tourist

Spacecamp

Monsignor

Dracula

Black Sunday

The Missouri Breaks

Images

The Cowboys

The Reivers

Fitzwilly

A Guide for the Married Man

Penelope

Not With my Wife You Don't

How to Steal a Million

Diamon Head

A Guide for the Married Man

Right after FSM released this Score, American Movie Classics broadcast the movie. It was about 1 week later. I don't remember if that was around the time that Walter Matthau had died... It was a pretty funny movie.

Well I'll buy a score before I see a film but it will depend on the composer. I will buy anything by Williams as soon as it is released. Goldsmith is not too far behind, then it just depends on the composer and movie.

As far as films that I haven't seen completely:

Stanley and Iris - Williams

The Reivers - Williams

Lionheart - Goldsmith

Night Crossing - Goldsmith

Les Miserables - Basil Poledouris

Cleopatra - Alex North

Deep Rising - Goldsmith

The Mephisto Waltz - Goldsmith

Titus - Elliot Goldenthal

Final Fantasy - Elliot Goldenthal

Legends of the Fall - Horner

Balto - Horner

The Sum of all Fears - Goldsmith

The Last Castle - Goldsmith

Planet of the Apes(re-make) - Elfman

Sleepy Hollow - Elfman

Godzilla v.s. Megaguiris - Michiru Oshima

The Most Dangerous Game - Max Steiner

The Egyptian - Alfred Newman & Bernard Herrmann

Beneath the Twelve Mile Reef - Bernard Herrmann

The Ghost & Mrs. Muir - Bernard Herrmann

Cape Fear (1991 re-make) - Elmer Bernstein conducting Herrmann's music.

With over 500 soundtracks I tend to lose count of films I've seen and haven't seen. I know there are probably a 100 films I've seen once when I was younger but don't remember anything about, off the top of my head I can think of:

The Wind and the Lion - Goldsmith

Robin and Marian - John Barry

Tora Tora Tora - Goldsmith

The Robe - Alfred Newman

King of Kings - Rosza

The Lion in Winter - John Barry

The Day the Earth Stood Still - Herrmann

I tend to enjoy Film music away from the movie and really don't think of the film while I'm listening to it. Every once and awhile I'll visualize a scene or two but for the most part I listen to film music as I would popular music (ie: rock, r&b, etc.)

Cutthroat Island (Debney) - I love this score

Lord of the Rings (Shore) - I bought the cd a moth before seeing the movie.

Crimson Tide (Zimmer)

Seven Years in Tibet (JW)

A. I (JW) - Again I bought the cd 2 months before watching the movie.

E.T (JW) - I bought before watching the movie. The first time I watched was in 20th aniversary re-release.

Shadows of the Empire (Joel McNeely)

The Crow (Graeme Revell)

Shrunken Heads (Richard Band and Danny Elfman)

Various James Bond Scores

Spy Kids (Elfman, Greenaway, and more)

Army of Darkness (Joseph LoDuca and Danny Elfman)

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (Goldenthal)

Planet of the Apes (Goldsmith)

The Omen (Goldsmith)

First Blood (Goldsmith)

Aliens (Horner)

Braveheart (Horner)

Band of Brothers (Kamen)

Conan the Barbarian (Poledouris)

The Godfather (Rota)

The Godfather Part 2 (Rota)

Empire of the Sun (Williams)

Seven Years in Tibet (Williams)

Angela's Ashes (Williams)

The Thin Red Line (Zimmer)

CITIUS ALTIUS FORTIUS DaDaDa......Dmmmmm Tzzzzzzzzz

Dmmmmmm Tzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,

That is a really nice signature you have. It's the bass drum and cymbals, correct?

This is the only reason why I love Williams' fanfare music!

DMMMMMMM Tzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Shadows of the Empire had 2 good songs, not nearly as good as Williams.

that would be sooo cool if they made it into a movie though.(No Jar Jar :mrgreen: )

I have 2 scores that I have only partially seen the films too. (I would always happen to flip to the program after it was well into the movie and oddly enough usually in the samepoint in both films.)

1) Kundun - I purchased after hearing about 20 seconds of when it was nominated for an Academy Award and performed during the Oscars. (Right next to Amistad I might add) Neither of the 2 won.

2) The Last Emperor - I purchased after I obtained John Williams Oscar album and one of the themes from that movie was on the album since it won the AA for that year.

There's a bunch that I need to get around to seeing. Just to name a few....

A Guide For The Married Man

The Cowboys

Earthquake

The Eiger Sanction

The Missouri Breaks

Midway (watched 1/2 hour, fell asleep)

The Fury

Heartbeeps (friends say it's awful cheesy though)

Aaaah, too many to name.

:mrgreen: Anything Goes from The Temple Of Doom

I never saw:

Jaws

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I pity people who havn't seen this movie. it is one of my favorites' date=' with one of the not too many scores that can actualy scare you. I once had it on while I trying to fall asleep, but I did't remeber what was in my CD player, so all of a sudden I felt like I was in a nightmare, I was all sweaty and shaking.

Lots. I usually try to see the film at least after I have the score, though not as often now after I watched Air Force One for that reason. :mrgreen: But I wouldn't know some of my favourite scores if I always had to watch the movie first.

quote]

Well, I saw Air Force one when it came out, and it's one of the few movies (The Rock's on the list also) that I can see over and over again, without getting sick of.

Not because of the movie, but only because of Goldsmith's amazing score, which the movie complements very well. I love 'Radeck's death', it is simply great. Goldsmith does a great job of getting you in the mood, with his wonderful solemn, slavic sounding music.

I know it's not his best, but it's my favorite Goldsmith OST.