Why Revenge of the Sith, the score, will not disappoint:

Henry B

The amount of anticipation for this Williams soundtrack is unusually low...I've heard a few reasons not to look forward to the Episode III score, but I don't think they hold much water. So:

Williams is pissed off at Lucas for the way his music was handled in The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, so he's going to write a bad score for Revenge of the Sith.

It's possible, but there's no evidence of this.

Lucas will chop up the music in the movie.

Probably, but this shouldn't impact the OST presentation of it, or an expanded release (see, they learned their lesson and created a proper full version of Attack of the Clones, but this thing hasn't been released, probably because it was deemed unprofitable by Lucasfilm).

We'll get another big battle with recycled music.

Actually, the big battle (this time at the beginning of the film) is nearly complete. ILM isn't running late like they were last time.

Attack of the Clones was horrible, what makes you think this one will be better?

Though I and many others would argue that Attack of the Clones is an excellent score, I think we can all agree that it is subpar for Williams. Does that mean Revenge of the Sith will continue the lowering quality trend? No. Remember, since Attack of the Clones, we've gotten three excellent scores. No reason for Williams to sink again because it's back to Star Wars.

Star Wars sucks, Lucas is a greedy scumbag, etc.

Oh, please.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to disagree with you, because I agree with you on your main points. However, on your argument that people aren't looking forward to the score I must call your attention to the poll we had a few weeks ago on this subject:

I think it's Williams most anticipated score of all time.

24% [ 10 ]

I'm really excited about it.

21% [ 9 ]

I'm cautiously optimistic.

34% [ 14 ]

I'm looking forward to it, but I'm more excited about Goblet of Fire.

9% [ 4 ]

I really couldn't care less about it.

2% [ 1 ]

It's gonna suck! Why? Cause Lucas sucks! Everything Lucas does now sucks! So this is gonna suck! (removes foam from mouth)

2% [ 1 ]

I only vote in polls to see the results. (If this is you, be honest and vote here.)

4% [ 2 ]

Total Votes : 41

I wouldn't call that unusually low anticipation. :music:

It's hard for me to see how Williams couldn't be inspired by the concept of Episode III. The empire's birth, the betrayl of Anakin Skywalker, the death of many of the main characters, the destruction of the Jedi Order.

But then again Lucas "turded up" the previous movies. We'll see.

Justin

I think Goblet of Fire (I mean, before the... :music:) would have gotten more "really excited" votes and less "cautiously optimistic" votes.

Oh, and I just thought of another reason. Updating main post.

I'm sure that Williams is scoring these new Star Wars films more for personnal reasons than obligations to George Lucas.As much as he hates the edits Lucas is dooing,he knows he must complete them for his musical legacy.If Lucas can't bring out proper representations of these scores on c.d. or in the film,the complete written scores will remain to be re-recorded in full eventually.

K.M.

John Williams will always take pride in his work, so we don't need to even consider that he will let what happened to his music in AOTC influence him in any way. He seems well aware of the legacy of his Star Wars music, so he'll want to go out with a bang. And I believe the material will allow him to do just that.

Like others have said, I don't foresee major editing this time based on the info we have. I think we will have the most complete, un-edited score of the prequels. At the very least, Williams will have the OPPORTUNITY to score the entire film -- something he didn't get with AOTC.

Lastly, I don't feel the AOTC score sucked. Thank God for the brilliant Across the Stars, or the love story would have had nothing going for it whatsoever. Also, The Arena cue has a masterful Clone Wars theme. Since the fight with the 3 monsters was the only final battle Williams actually got to score, he gave it this a great thematic treatment...much, much more than it deserved. (Okay, Burtt, you then decide you want it to be music-free, fine...but then score the Clone/Droid battle with it, you idiot! We have this great battle hymn that is completely dropped from the film in favor of a bunch of sloppily edited Episode I music! How ridiculous is that?)

Ummmm Cerrabore forgot to give any reasons why SW: Episode III will be a great score. Its not enough to just discredit reasons it wont be good. You have to give reasons in FAVOR of your position.

It's hard for me to see how Williams couldn't be inspired by the concept of Episode III. The empire's birth, the betrayl of Anakin Skywalker, the death of many of the main characters, the destruction of the Jedi Order.

And of course the prospect of not working for Lucas (as a director) again. :P

Neil

What we must realize is that this movie is likely going to be a very climatic (?) one.

What is it that John Williams is able to handle very very well in movies?..right, when a climatic scene occurs.

Think of the Duel between Vader and Luke....a thrilling and elevating piece of machinery going on there by Williams. Especially in Star Wars Williams has always squeezed the maximum out of music during such moments.

This movie has the potential for many climatic scenes, like between Kenobi and Anakin, Birth of twins, deaths of many characters, the return of some original characters...the changeover to Vader, the seduction by the emperor, the imperialisation of the empire....there are many great moments for Williams here to score.

This could become a classic and moving score. And it has the possibility to become even better than TESB. It's not likely though.

I hope Williams expecting this movie as i think he has said, has started writing possible music since TPM. That way he may have plenty of time to do an unedited score...

Unfortunately it is not 100% up to him :P

I don't think it's his most anticipated score of all time. Phantom Menace still holds that crown. Probably THE most anticipated film score of all time by any composer.

Ummmm Cerrabore forgot to give any reasons why SW: Episode III will be a great score. Its not enough to just discredit reasons it wont be good. You have to give reasons in FAVOR of your position.

Isn't that sort of a given? I mean...John Williams... :?

EDIT: Actually, here's on reason: "Remember, since Attack of the Clones, we've gotten three excellent scores. No reason for Williams to sink again because it's back to Star Wars."

Remember, since Attack of the Clones, we've gotten three excellent scores. No reason for Williams to sink again because it's back to Star Wars.

Hasn't there been 5 scores since AOTC? Minority, HP2, Catch Me, HP3, and Terminal...

Or do you consider 2 of those not excellent?

Oh, I thought Minority Report was earlier.

Chamber of Secrets is about as disliked as Attack of the Clones here, so that is why I did not include it.

Oh, I thought Minority Report was earlier.

Minority Report (the film) came out 6 weeks after Attack of the Clones if memory serves.

Perhaps if Spielberg had been nice and pushed his film back to the end of the summer, JW would of had time to compose music for the climax of AOTC.

Of course, if Spielberg had been REALLY nice and pushed Catch Me If You Can off till 2003, then JW wouldn't of needed Ross to finish up Chamber for him, that would have been even better.

Luckily, The Terminal didn't seem to affect POA at all (Cuaron seems to have gotten JW to score to a fairly early print of the film, considering how much practically every cue was edited down in the final film).

Chamber of Secrets is about as disliked as Attack of the Clones here, so that is why I did not include it.

I, personally, LOVE the Chamber of Secrets score.

Minority Report (the film) came out 6 weeks after Attack of the Clones if memory serves.  

Perhaps if Spielberg had been nice and pushed his film back to the end of the summer, JW would of had time to compose music for the climax of AOTC.  

Of course, if Spielberg had been REALLY nice and pushed Catch Me If You Can off till 2003, then JW wouldn't of needed Ross to finish up Chamber for him, that would have been even better.  

Luckily, The Terminal didn't seem to affect POA at all (Cuaron seems to have gotten JW to score to a fairly early print of the film, considering how much practically every cue was edited down in the final film).

What's up with everybody's priorities here?

Surely you mean if Lucas or Columbus had been nice...

Nah, it's all Spielberg's fault man. His last 3 movies all came out within weeks of somebody else's movie that John was scoring, making John have to rush the movie that was scheduled first.

It wasn't just that. ILM couldn't give him anything that was close to a final cut.

I, personally, LOVE the Chamber of Secrets score.

I like most of what's new in the CoS score, which unfortunately isn't much. The recycled music from SS is really annoying to me right now. And most of the unreleased music is really boring underscore. Much more boring than what people say Ep. II is IMO.

And the more I listen to HP: SS/PS, the more I think that it deserves a place among Williams all-time masterworks. PoA is close, but not quite.

Nah, it's all Spielberg's fault man. His last 3 movies all came out within weeks of somebody else's movie that John was scoring, making John have to rush the movie that was scheduled first.

I sort of agree,Spielberg should take in consideration Williams schedual.I wish he'd go into one of his "no movie" phases,(like 1993 to 1997,or 1998 to2001) untill GoF is out...Williams pre-planned movies is SW and HP,Spielberg shouldn't be the odd variable screwing this up for him.

K.M.

Since I feel Spielberg is the only one challenging Williams now, I want as many of his scores are possible.

I don't think if Williams had any less projects his scores would get better. As we saw, if he couldn't handle something, he dropped a movie from his schedule. Do I wish he hadn't? of course. But the man knows what he's doing. He's not spread out too thin.