Themes for Episode III

bri40

I hope that JW decides to score the birth of the twins with "Luke and Leia" from Return of the Jedi, and to use "Princess Leia's Theme" from ANH for Alderaan and Bail Organa in general.

Ever notice how infrequently the Star Wars main title march is heard in EpI and EpII? It would be cool if it is heard in EpIII only in connection to the baby Luke Skywalker. That would solidify my feeling that the Star Wars Theme we know and love is really Luke's own, bridging the first trilogy into the second (or second into the first, as it were).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John will need to have a theme for the noble but violent death of Mace Windu.

Padme doesn't have to die Harry. remember, Leia remembers here mother, her real mother. She died when she was very young. So if the movie ends soon enough Padme doesn't have to die.

jeezz, Mr. Potter, I though it was only potions you couldn't remember.

Joe.

Padme will have to be mortally wounded at the very least. Or stricken with fatal heartbreak. I personally would prefer death. It would make up for the Tusken Raiders we should have seen die in ATOC. EpIII has got to be DARK.

Harry have you watched the Star Wars films?

Have you ever seen Star Wars, the one you would call A New Hope, ESB, and ROTJ?

I don't think you have or you would not have made that last post at all.

Leia has to be old enough to remember her mother before she dies.

If Anakin turns because she dies then he would know of Leia. Can't happen that way. He would put it all together.

well I guess it could but even Lucas would be dumb enough to make that mistake. I hope he isn't.

John will need to have a theme for the noble but violent death of Mace Windu.

Who hopefully will be disintegrated by Boba Fett.

Harry have you watched the Star Wars films?

Remember Joe, Harry is young and naive and prefers the Special Editions. :)

Neil

No No. It's really simple. Leia has the twins on Dagobah in hiding, with Yoda, Ben and the droids (pre-memory erase) as witnesses.

Padme and Leia to Alderaan, Luke to Tatooine.

Anakin is informed (lied to) about her death...that's his turning point. (It's very Romeo and Juliet really). He never has to see her die at all, he just has to think she's dead.

Sidious can kill her later, after she's lived several years with Leia on Alderaan.

The Emperor couldn't kill her either because then he would know of Leia. Which he didn't know either.

Gosh if they only had read the scripts they could have known all this. And besides Leia being Lukes sister was telegraphed in ESB rather badly. NO there is another. What did Obi-Wan not even know.

ok you got me.

Yoda will help with the delivery of the twins (on Dagobah I hope). Ben will do as he's told and bring Luke to Tatooine.

The odd thing about this scenario is that the Galaxy seems to understand that Leia is Organa's adopted daughter and that Padme is her mother. So how could Ben not know this?

I can't answer that last point. I simply don't know. Did or did not Ob1 not know about Leia?

I don't think Obi Wan knew about Leia... It is possible that Padme' went under a different name to hide from the Emperor.

Let us remember that the children were hidden from the Emperor, not Anakin. I just watched the trilogy today.

Other than that, I won't try to figure anything out. This saga is very complex.

I think Ben knew about Leia but didn't say anything because he didn't want to cause Luke any more hurt in case she was hurt or killed.

But what the hell do I know?

Dan - too tired to continue his thoughts on the possible plot of Episode III, but who also thinks that Ben and Padmé have an affair similar to that of Billy Bob Thornton and Halle Berry's in Monster's Ball

:(

:) "The Gift Of Mortality" from Bicentennial Man (Horner)

I don't think Obi Wan knew about Leia... It is possible that Padme' went under a different name to hide from the Emperor.

Let us remember that the children were hidden from the Emperor, not Anakin.  I just watched the trilogy today.

Other than that, I won't try to figure anything out.  This saga is very complex.

Well he had to know sometime, because he tells Luke the story.

~Harry

In the first draft of the Episode I script, Padme has a small crush on Obi Wan (back when it was just Obi Wan doing everything instead of Qui Gon. Qui Gon didn't even appear until Coruscant!) I think having her have an affair with Obi Wan would make a very good motivation for Anakin's turn to the darkside. That would also explain why Vader hates Obi Wan. Of course, I don't think that's how it's going to happen.

First off, I personally don't like the idea of a Padme/Obi-Wan affair. It is way out of character for both of them.

I think that Anakin begins to succomb to the dark side (with the help of Palpatine), but not all at once. Yoda and/or Obi-Wan sense this and take Padme into hiding. She is pregnant, but Anakin does not know. She gives birth and Yoda knows aout the twins, but Obi-Wan only knows about Luke, and delivers him to Tatooine. Somehow Leia ends up on Alderaan, I don't know if Padme is with her or not. Obi-Wan gos to tell Anakin that Padme has died; this could be true or not. In any case, Anakin blames Obi-Wan for her death and releases his hate, thus completing his turn to the dark side and undergoing the fateful fight with Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan learns about Leia by asking Yoda what the hell he meant by "There is another." I don't know if that brings everything together, but it's my best effort.

Ray Barnsbury

That's an interesting and good plotline.

So my question is: Why would Obi-Wan not need to know about Leia? I guess it makes sense that he doesn't know here, because in IV and V, he made no mention of knowing Leia. Hmm, the mystery continues! :)

~Harry :spiny:

Thanks! It's fun to speculate about really important stuff like this! :)

About Obi-Wan, maybe Yoda felt that the less everyone knew about the situation, the better. Know only what you need to. You can't be tortured to reveal info if you don't know any. Just a guess.

Ray Barnsbury

True. Yoda is the master, so it's obvious that he's the only one that needs to know the truth. Yes, it is fun to speculate!

Now, about that co-director situation I've been pushing.... :)

~Harry

Yes! HIRE SOMEONE WHO CAN WRITE AND DIRECT, I don't care if it's a high school student from New Jersey, as long as they do better than Lucas. Someone on the set needs to stand up to Lucas as Harrison Ford did, saying, "You can type this shit George, but you can't say it." :)

Ray Barnsbury

OOOh, how can I get my hands on that draft of the script???

:)

I didn't read a copy of the draft, but I get my information from the Episode I Insider's Guide. If you go the the scene by scene section you will find all kinds of cool information (sort of like a text version of a commentary). Incidently, the version of the movie this is based on is not the theatrical one. It's the one containing George's second to last edit of the movie. The final battle is all out of order. This is a good resource for knowing what one of the versions of the movie Williams originally scored looked like. (or you can just poke around Elvisjone's site)

Who knows why George decided to make Qui Gon more prominent. Maybe he didn't want him coming off as a character that would be introduced then summarily killed off. SOMETHING happened to make him drastically change the storyline.

NP: AOTC

I think that at least Bail Organa knows about Luke. Obi-Wan when he tells luke to go with him seems to say, i'm old you are the one she has come for, wich would make sense, since Luke is the only hope, not obi-wan.

Maybe after the supposed death of anakin in the melting pit, Bail Organa marries padme? it will make sense then to make leia a princess and not only a foster daughter. This is very unlikely, but you never know... :(

Maybe after the supposed death of anakin in the melting pit, Bail Organa marries padme? it will make sense then to make leia a princess and not only a foster daughter. This is very unlikely, but you never know... :)

No, I don't like that idea. Isn't he a little old for her anyway? And how would that make Leia a princess then? She already is one because the family is the royal family of Alderaan.

~Harry

Padmé and Organa could marry. It's not like age keeps Padmé from doing anything, really. I mean, c'mon-- she's rocking that cradle with Anakin.

Dan - who wouldn't care if he was 20 years younger than Natalie Portman -- he would gladly be Mr. Natalie

:) "Speech/Children's Reprise" from Patch Adams (Shaiman)

Maybe after the supposed death of anakin in the melting pit, Bail Organa marries padme? it will make sense then to make leia a princess and not only a foster daughter. This is very unlikely, but you never know... :D

No, I don't like that idea. Isn't he a little old for her anyway? And how would that make Leia a princess then? She already is one because the family is the royal family of Alderaan.

~Harry

I didn't like the idea either, but it can happen... :)

Hmmm I anakin was under 18, (17 for example) that will made Padmé a minor (young people) corrupter? :music: I do not knoe how to say it in english :oops:

My understanding was/is that Anakin is 20 in Episode II and Padmé was 25 or 26.

Am I wrong?

Dan - discussing this earlier with a friend, as a matter of fact

Yes! HIRE SOMEONE WHO CAN WRITE AND DIRECT, I don't care if it's a high school student from New Jersey, as long as they do better than Lucas.  Someone on the set needs to stand up to Lucas as Harrison Ford did, saying, "You can type this shit George, but you can't say it." :(  

Ray Barnsbury

When did this happen?

But that's impossible. In Episode II, Padmé tell Anakin that she was 12 and in the legislative youth program. So she became Queen in one year!!!?!?

Damn!

Dan - who will tell his friends in the West Wing to study her politics

Yes! HIRE SOMEONE WHO CAN WRITE AND DIRECT, I don't care if it's a high school student from New Jersey, as long as they do better than Lucas.  Someone on the set needs to stand up to Lucas as Harrison Ford did, saying, "You can type this shit George, but you can't say it." ;)  

Ray Barnsbury

When did this happen?

I wanted to know that too, but I don't think I was answered.  

~Harry

Sorry guys!!! :oops: I haven't been on for a while. Ford said this to Lucas sometime during the first trilogy, probably during one of the first two movies. I've read this several times, I think usually in the Star Wars Insider. I also saw Ford quote it when he was talking on George Lucas' Biography on A & E.

Ray Barnsbury-who would go nuts if they made a JW Biography show :|

I think it is stated somewhere that Anakin is definitely 9 years old in TPM, and Padmé 14. So in AOTC, Anakin is 19, and Padmé is 24. I believe this is official.

(It would however be nice if anyone could verify this by quoting an official source ;))

-Chris

Back on the original question:

I would really like to see the two trilogies tied together. I'm not sure if there would be room for any new music. The Rebel Fanfare needs to appear at some point, towards the end, I believe. Also, some form of Princess Leia's Theme as Padme's Escape Theme, would be great.

Back on the original question:

Hasn't Lucas mentioned in one of the DVD documentaries for TPM that Williams kind of jumped the gun when writing 'Duel of the Fates' in terms of capturing how GL anticipated the music for Ep III would need to sound? If so shouldn't we expect lots of DOTF (after its relative absence in Clones)?

TIM - thinking that the unused 'Binary Sunset' alternative take from the Special Edition soundtrack of A New Hope sounds very ATOC-ish ...

In TPM, Anakin is 9 and Padme is 14 (Natalie is 16 while filming)

In AOTC, Anakin is 19 and Padme is 24 (Natalie is 19 while filming)

In Ep3, Anakin will be 23 and Padme will be 28. During this episode Luke and Leia will pop out.

In ANH, Luke and Leia are 20.

In ESB, they are 23

In Rotj, they are 23.5.

-Jason, who can't beleive Natalie is not even old enough to drink legally...

:music: The Coruscant Chase (trying to find Vaders theme!)

Hmmmmm

Here are the themes I think it should have:

1) A theme for the Sith: Make it sort of like the Imperial March but different for the Sith warriors.

2) A theme for Amidala: If there isn't one already.

3) A heroid but tragic theme for the Jedi

4) A greand battle theme like Duel of the Fates.

• 2 years later...

Wow, the plotline I wrote up there is better than what actually happened....and it's not because mine is that good. ;)

Ray Barnsbury

I think having her have an affair with Obi Wan would make a very good motivation for Anakin's turn to the darkside.  That would also explain why Vader hates Obi Wan.  Of course, I don't think that's how it's going to happen.

This is interesting. There was a subplot entirely cut from the film where Palpatine slyly convinced Anakin that Obi-Wan's visits to Padmé where more than just friendly chats (hence his intense reaction upon seeing Obi-Wan on Mustafar).